Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! (/Thread-CONTRACT-FINALIZED)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 01:38 PM)Nepa Wrote: I was in favor of Burrow making a team-friendly deal by taking less money, but in my view this is taking less money, so I am delighted. 

I raised Mahomes as an example of someone who took a team-friendly deal because he makes an average of $45 million per year (10 years at $450 million). For the seven years that Burrow is under contract, he makes $316 million, which comes to $45.1 million a year. To me, that is a team-friendly deal. What would not have been team friendly is to average $55 million for 7 years.

What's Mahomes' annual average if you combine the last year of his rookie deal, his 5th year option, and his 10 year extension? Does that reduce his average even further?

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Bengalholic - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 02:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We once made Carson Palmer the highest paid player ever. Hopefully this doesn't lead to the Bengals skimping out on the rest of the roster like they did back then. I do believe things have changed a great deal since then.

Hell, look at what they've done...giving Orlando a 31m signing bonus, re-doing Mixon's deal to lower his number, and now giving Burrow 219m guaranteed. This definitely isn't our daddy's Bengals anymore. LOL

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - KillerGoose - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 03:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What's Mahomes' annual average if you combine the last year of his rookie deal, his 5th year option, and his 10 year extension? Does that reduce his average even further?

For giggles, it is $39.9MM. 

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Lucius Cincinnatus - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 01:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Truth, and this is a team friendly contract so we should all be happy. I am fine if we bring back Tee and we still can, my only gripes 
has ever been that it cannot be at the cost of the trenches or the Ja'Marr Chase contract.

If this is a team-friendly contract, then what QB contract signed recently hasn't been team-friendly? Homers are acting like this contract extension is some novel concept (the 5 years + 2 sentiment). Basically every deal that gets signed (except free agency or last year of deal) is an extension lol. Thats how all extensions work. And apparently the 5th year is void so it's a 6 year deal. 

Folks are really trying to convince themselves this contract is a team-friendly deal after hoping all off-season it would be. It's a standard deal. It's not a team friendly deal nor is it a team crushing deal. The truth is, when you actually look into these contracts, it's never as bad as it's painted out to be from a salary cap impact. I guarantee when the details are released in the coming days, the salary cap hit will hover between ~8-18% of the total cap and many here will act like it's a total anomaly and lose their minds about our Tobin being a genius without looking at other contracts. For reference, here are other QBs that have signed recently and the % of the cap they are taking up over the next 4 seasons: 

Lamar: 9%, 12.6%, 15%, 24%
Hurts: 2.7%, 5.2%, 7.7%, 10%
Allen: 8%, 18%, 20%, 17%
Herbert: 3.7%, 7.5%, 13%, 15%

I'm also willing to bet Lamar is extended before he ends up anywhere close to a 24% cap hit

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Shake n Blake - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 03:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hell, look at what they've done...giving Orlando a 31m signing bonus, re-doing Mixon's deal to lower his number, and now giving Burrow 219m guaranteed. This definitely isn't our daddy's Bengals anymore. LOL

Absolutely. I'll also throw in the practice facility and team HOF. I just have Bengals PTSD. LOL

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Synric - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 03:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: For giggles, it is $39.9MM. 

You have to add the money from the final 2 years of his rookie deal. It was a 10 year 503m extension. I don't have those numbers anymore but I think they came out to like 42 or 43.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 02:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Stealing their thunder is what they're crying over. Seriously....

As we know, these new Chiefs fans love to cry. Mellow

(09-08-2023, 03:52 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: If this is a team-friendly contract, then what QB contract signed recently hasn't been team-friendly? Homers are acting like this contract extension is some novel concept (the 5 years + 2 sentiment). Basically every deal that gets signed (except free agency or last year of deal) is an extension lol. Thats how all extensions work. And apparently the 5th year is void so it's a 6 year deal. 

Folks are really trying to convince themselves this contract is a team-friendly deal after hoping all off-season it would be. It's a standard deal. It's not a team friendly deal nor is it a team crushing deal. The truth is, when you actually look into these contracts, it's never as bad as it's painted out to be from a salary cap impact. I guarantee when the details are released in the coming days, the salary cap hit will hover between ~8-18% of the total cap and many here will act like it's a total anomaly and lose their minds about our Tobin being a genius without looking at other contracts. For reference, here are other QBs that have signed recently and the % of the cap they are taking up over the next 4 seasons: 

I'm also willing to bet Lamar is extended before he ends up anywhere close to a 24% cap hit

Thanks for the numbers Lucius. Don't get me wrong, this is the making Burrow the highest paid player in NFL history and this 
was all anticipated. I said 55 million per year before and some were saying it would be more than that. You know the cap and 
the percentages obviously more than me, but to get this done before Burrow has his best season is why this is team friendly.

If we hadn't of gotten a deal done we would be in way worse shape. I was saying 55 mil per year including the option would 
be about what I expected. This is less than that as when it includes the option it is give or take 10 mil less per year than 55.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 03:52 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: If this is a team-friendly contract, then what QB contract signed recently hasn't been team-friendly? Homers are acting like this contract extension is some novel concept (the 5 years + 2 sentiment). Basically every deal that gets signed (except free agency or last year of deal) is an extension lol. Thats how all extensions work. And apparently the 5th year is void so it's a 6 year deal. 

The 5th year is not void. Burrow is signed thru 2029. 

2023: year 4 rookie 
2024: 5th year rookie extension 
---------- 
2025: year 1 extension 
2026: year 2 extension 
2027: year 3 extension 
2028: year 4 extension 
2029: year 5 extension  

(09-08-2023, 04:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The 5th year is not void. Burrow is signed thru 2029. 

---------- 

Forgot to say that myself, thanks Ike. People saying the 5th year is void are plain wrong.

(09-08-2023, 03:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: For giggles, it is $39.9MM. 

Yeah, if someone is going to claim Burrow’s deal is 7 years with $X/year average then Mahomes deal was for 12 years for $X/year average for comparisons sake.

(09-08-2023, 04:58 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, if someone is going to claim Burrow’s deal is 7 years with $X/year average then Mahomes deal was for 12 years for $X/year average for comparisons sake.

True.

(09-08-2023, 05:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True.

And even that comparison fails to account for the fact Mahomes will still average approximately $39M/year for the final two seasons of his extension while Burrow gets to sign a new contract in which he’ll probably average $65M/year or more.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 04:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Forgot to say that myself, thanks Ike. People saying the 5th year is void are plain wrong.

Thanks. My terminology is off. I should have said rookie 5th year option, but I think everyone gets the drift. 

But there does not seem to be anything team friendly about the deal so far. He got more per year than Herbert or Hurts. It is not a team friendly length like Mahomes' 10 year with KC. 

Now, there may be something team friendly in the structure that we do not see yet. But there ain't no home town discount in what we can see. Dude is highest paid at his position and signed for 5 so he can go big again sooner. 

(09-08-2023, 04:51 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The 5th year is not void. Burrow is signed thru 2029. 

---------- 

Apologies if I am misinformed . However, the point surrounding extensions remains valid. People seem to be acting like the concept of an extension is all of the sudden novel to them. The deal was always going to add X years to his current deal, and it's the same thing that happens for 90% of these deals. 

But seems like we are generally aligned on that this isn't a "team-friendly" deal, and it's a pretty standard, market-setting deal. I saw one poster claim it was team-friendly because the AAV was what he predicted it to be lol. I'm not sure it works that way; predicting the deal correctly = team friendly

(09-08-2023, 05:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And even that comparison fails to account for the fact Mahomes will still average approximately $39M/year for the final two seasons of his extension while Burrow gets to sign a new contract in which he’ll probably average $65M/year or more.

True as well, cannot have it both ways. Either way we are paying Burrow the most and the most by a ways. If we try and make ourselves
feel better about saying with the option we are near what Mahomes is getting we cannot leave out that Mahomes is 39 mil per year himself.

I am just glad we got it done now. 

(09-08-2023, 05:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Thanks. My terminology is off. I should have said rookie 5th year option, but I think everyone gets the drift. 

But there does not seem to be anything team friendly about the deal so far. He got more per year than Herbert or Hurts. It is not a team friendly length like Mahomes' 10 year with KC. 

Now, there may be something team friendly in the structure that we do not see yet. But there ain't no home town discount in what we can see. Dude is highest paid at his position and signed for 5 so he can go big again sooner. 

Yeah, I wish we had the length of the Mahomes deal for sure. Maybe there is something in the structure like you say to make us feel 
even better about it. In the end, I am just happy we got it done before Burrow takes over as the greatest QB on Earth which I think
will start this year.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - michaelsean - 09-08-2023

(09-08-2023, 03:18 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What's Mahomes' annual average if you combine the last year of his rookie deal, his 5th year option, and his 10 year extension? Does that reduce his average even further?

Yes a lot of people seem to be including Joe's last two years, but not Mahomes who also played out his contract.

(09-08-2023, 05:33 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Apologies if I am misinformed . However, the point surrounding extensions remains valid. People seem to be acting like the concept of an extension is all of the sudden novel to them. The deal was always going to add X years to his current deal, and it's the same thing that happens for 90% of these deals. 

But seems like we are generally aligned on that this isn't a "team-friendly" deal, and it's a pretty standard, market-setting deal. I saw one poster claim it was team-friendly because the AAV was what he predicted it to be lol. I'm not sure it works that way; predicting the deal correctly = team friendly

I think the team friendly part will be the ability to covert roster bonuses to signing bonuses to free up cap space. Like the Chiefs have done with Mahomes. We’ll see.

RE: CONTRACT FINALIZED!!! - BFritz21 - 09-08-2023

(09-07-2023, 09:28 PM)pally Wrote: $55 million per year...wow  not bad for a cheap franchise

I'm not saying he'll be struggling or anything, but, between taxes, his agent's cut, and whatever else, I wonder what his actual take home amount from that 275 million will be.

(09-08-2023, 05:57 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think the team friendly part will be the ability to covert roster bonuses to signing bonuses to free up cap space. Like the Chiefs have done with Mahomes. We’ll see.

Yea, but again, that's not abnormal or different than most of these contracts. So if we are calling this contract team-friendly, we have to call the others signed team-friendly as well is my broader point. But if every deal is "team-friendly",  by those terms, then that is actually just the norm. Not team-friendly.