Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
CONTRACT FINALIZED!!!
(09-08-2023, 11:11 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Okay, yours and Isaac's responses make sense then. The year still exists, but the payment details are changed. I had heard it described as essentially "ripping up" the 5th year and completely redoing it. That may not be completely accurate but it gets the point across at least. I'm not confused anymore. 

I am a soccer guy, and in MLS, the "cap hit" of the player bears little resemblance to what the player actually receives (for the high priced guys, anyway). 

I think once a person discards the notion that the cap hit and the money he is actually receiving need to actually be related to each other in a meaningful way, it gets easier to understand. In MLS, they are even less so. They SHOULD be related. Sometimes are. But for the big fish, they usually are pretty divergent. 
Reply/Quote
Burrow was never going to take a "discount." Doing so would screw up the market for QBs going forward. For example, if Burrow took a discount, then the Jaguars would hold that over Trevor Lawrence when he does his deal next season. All this being said, I'm sure the Bengals will restructure the contract multiple times going forward to manipulate the cap as needed.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 11:50 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am a soccer guy, and in MLS, the "cap hit" of the player bears little resemblance to what the player actually receives (for the high priced guys, anyway). 

I think once a person discards the notion that the cap hit and the money he is actually receiving need to actually be related to each other in a meaningful way, it gets easier to understand. In MLS, they are even less so. They SHOULD be related. Sometimes are. But for the big fish, they usually are pretty divergent. 

That makes sense. Contracts and cap management is something that I have never spent a bunch of time on so when the topic comes up, I find myself trying to tread water. Thanks for the explanations.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 09:28 PM)pally Wrote: $55 million per year...wow  not bad for a cheap franchise

Yeah baby!!! Wink

(09-07-2023, 09:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: anger-management-jack-nicholson.gif]

Hilarious

Happy Deyz in Bengal Land that is for sure.

(09-07-2023, 09:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Would have preferred longer than 5 years but I’m still super happy that it’s done.

Yeah, I wanted a 10 year deal and this is about a 7 year including the option, but hey, we can extend him again in 2028 after we 
have won a few Super Bowls. Bottom line, we can move on now and as long as we don't put a ton of money into a Tee extension 
we can keep Chase and the team together for the most part with this deal. IT IS team friendly for the next great QB in these times.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 08:19 AM)Nepa Wrote: Yes, everywhere I'm seeing that Burrow has the 5-year extension tacked onto the back end of the 4th and 5th years of the rookie deal, and thus signed for 7 years, through the 2029 season, with the average of $45 million per year during those 7 years. 

Some posters are getting hung up on the $55 million per year of the extension, but if they look at the overall agreement with Burrow, the average for the 7 years is right around where Mahomes average is ($45 million). And posters keep noting the Mahomes has a deal that is very team friendly. 

I called Georgia Power because my electric bill for August was over $600.  They told me if I averaged August with January and February it would be a lot less.
Reply/Quote
BTW, I called a 55 mil per year contract would be just fine with me and this averages out to less than that and pretty much
what Mahomes makes including the option. Just had to pat myself on the back here lol
Reply/Quote
On a side note, KC is big mad at the timing of the announcement. They are whining everywhere... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: On a side note, KC is big mad at the timing of the announcement. They are whining everywhere... Hilarious

What would they be whining about?
Burrow's extension doesn't impact them extending Chris Jones, and it doesn't impact how they perform on the field (which last night was not good).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Joe's camp said all along that he wanted to get paid what he was worth. He did. They also said Joe knew how he wanted to structure his deal to keep the core group together. We haven't seen the structure, yet the drama queens are already at it with the Tee is as good as gone nonsense. If they weren't planning on keeping him, they would have traded him. Tobin came out and flat said it. I don't know why some of you are so darned eager to give away one of our best weapons.

This is what's been driving me crazy. The majority of us that said we hope he takes a team friendly deal weren't saying take less money, we were saying we wanted it structured in a team friendly way. 

yet the narrative now is we were all saying take less money because of a small handful of posters.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What would they be whining about?
Burrow's extension doesn't impact them extending Chris Jones, and it doesn't impact how they perform on the field (which last night was not good).

Because they were secretly hoping the contract would fall through and they could get Burrow? 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: On a side note, KC is big mad at the timing of the announcement. They are whining everywhere... Hilarious

I don't see why I'd care if I were a KC fan... I'd rather be hoisting a Super Bowl banner than announcing a contract, but hopefully this contract will be coming with a few banners.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What would they be whining about?

They're whining it took away from their game. If I were them, I'd be grateful for anything that took away from their performance. But I'm not a Chefs fan, so....
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They're whining it took away from their game. If I were them, I'd be grateful for anything that took away from their performance. But I'm not a Chefs fan, so....

Take away from their game? Like...less viewers?
If so, that's dumb.
Players should not care how many or few are watching.
If their own players/coaches got distracted by the announcement that it affected their play on the field, that's their own fault.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:28 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: This is what's been driving me crazy. The majority of us that said we hope he takes a team friendly deal weren't saying take less money, we were saying we wanted it structured in a team friendly way. 

yet the narrative now is we were all saying take less money because of a small handful of posters.

Truth, and this is a team friendly contract so we should all be happy. I am fine if we bring back Tee and we still can, my only gripes 
has ever been that it cannot be at the cost of the trenches or the Ja'Marr Chase contract.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:28 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: This is what's been driving me crazy. The majority of us that said we hope he takes a team friendly deal weren't saying take less money, we were saying we wanted it structured in a team friendly way. 

I was in favor of Burrow making a team-friendly deal by taking less money, but in my view this is taking less money, so I am delighted. 

I raised Mahomes as an example of someone who took a team-friendly deal because he makes an average of $45 million per year (10 years at $450 million). For the seven years that Burrow is under contract, he makes $316 million, which comes to $45.1 million a year. To me, that is a team-friendly deal. What would not have been team friendly is to average $55 million for 7 years.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Because they were secretly hoping the contract would fall through and they could get Burrow? 

Everybody that isn't a Bengal fan was hoping the contract fell through, just hear what Florio was saying before this lol

But yeah, they (the Chiefs) got their franchise QB and they are happy with him rightfully so, but I wouldn't take him over our guy. Wink

(09-08-2023, 01:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Take away from their game? Like...less viewers?
If so, that's dumb.
If their own players/coaches got distracted by the announcement that it affected their play on the field, that's their own fault.

Chiefs fans are dumb. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Everybody that isn't a Bengal fan was hoping the contract fell through, just hear what Florio was saying before this lol

But yeah, they (the Chiefs) got their franchise QB and they are happy with him rightfully so, but I wouldn't take him over our guy. Wink

Chiefs fans are dumb. Mellow

Exactly

I'm a Burrow homer and I admit it, but. If we had a entire NFL redraft of all 1,500 or whatever players today. And we had the #1 pick I'd run to the podium and take Joe.

However, I can admit that Mahomes is (right now) ranked higher than Joe and I don't dispute that, he's done it, he's awesome. It's just that I strongly feel Joe is the way better "pure QB"

I'd bet most of them won't admit that.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly

I'm a Burrow homer and I admit it, but. If we had a entire NFL redraft of all 1,500 or whatever players today. And we had the #1 pick I'd run to the podium and take Joe.

However, I can admit that Mahomes is (right now) ranked higher than Joe and I don't dispute that, he's done it, he's awesome. It's just that I strongly feel Joe is the way better "pure QB"

I'd bet most of them won't admit that.

Completely agree as usual. We are on the cusp of having the higher ranked QB and to have his deal finalized before he plays his 
best season is icing on the cake. Not to mention it is a team friendly deal. Cool
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 01:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Take away from their game? Like...less viewers?
If so, that's dumb.

Stealing their thunder is what they're crying over. Seriously....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We once made Carson Palmer the highest paid player ever. Hopefully this doesn't lead to the Bengals skimping out on the rest of the roster like they did back then. I do believe things have changed a great deal since then.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote