Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+--- Thread: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! (/Thread-President-and-First-Lady-test-POSITIVE)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - Nately120 - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 01:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Part of me thinks the opposite of this will happen. Trump will walk away from this like it was just a cold, his devout minion followers will downplay the severity of Covid like Trump has done for months, less masks and social distancing will occur, and Covid will spread even worse than ever as a result. I'm not even trying to be funny, but there is something about many (not all) Trumpers out there that seem to think that as long as the 'old' and 'weak' Americans die from it, then there is no need to take precautions. 

We know he's going to push the perception and narrative that makes him look the best in the eyes of his already fervent supporters, as is his standard MO.  I won't judge him until he actually does it, but I can't see him going any route other than:

1.  this is an overblown liberal scare tactic bs as it's best
2.  I'm awesome because I didn't die from it
3.  Biden would have died from it, so you'd better elect me
4.  Some say I should give it to Biden, some people say that

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - Belsnickel - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 01:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If I may play psychological devil's advocate here, being "happy" Trump caught covid may be less about him being ill and more about a perceived sense of fairness.  People tend to like things that are fair or make sense and cognitive dissonance is a pretty big stressor in many aspects of life.

Seeing someone who brags about breaking rules and laws and other societal codes of conduct yet manages to avoid consequence can be a little off-putting for the commoners who don't have the luxury.  Trump actually facing some sort of consequence for his latest gleeful disregard comes off more as satisfying in a sense of fairness moreso that "Hoorah I hope he drops dead" if that makes sense.

You tell a kid to stop yanking on the dog's tail and he smiles and does it again and the dog nips him and the first thing you think is "See?  I told you."  That doesn't make you inherently cruel and evil, you just shug and say that fire is the best teacher.  Then again, maybe I'm just a heartless jerk.  My hunch that Trump is quite likely to use his brush with covid as a means to puff himself up and tacitly put down the many people who died from it may play a role in my mindset, though.

The short of it - Trump constantly brags about breaking rules and getting away with it, so I can see why it's satisfying to see something actually stick to him for once. 

All of this I am well aware of. I get it. I just think that there is a difference between satisfaction that Trump got his comeuppance, and actually celebrating the news, which I have seen.

(10-05-2020, 01:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: All of this I am well aware of. I get it. I just think that there is a difference between satisfaction that Trump got his comeuppance, and actually celebrating the news, which I have seen.

Maybe I'm making excuses because I'm trying to deal with the feeling that I'm far less upset about this than a decent person should be.

I don't think I'm a hopelessly bad person, so what do I need to consider in order to feel more empathy for Trump? I'm not being a smartass, I'm asking because you seem pretty self-actualized about stuff like this.

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - Belsnickel - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 01:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe I'm making excuses because I'm trying to deal with the feeling that I'm far less upset about this than a decent person should be.

I don't think I'm a hopelessly bad person, so what do I need to consider in order to feel more empathy for Trump? I'm not being a smartass, I'm asking because you seem pretty self-actualized about stuff like this.

My concern over this is more about the POTUD having COVID, not Trump. The implications for the country and the instability that could ensue are more what my concern is about. I don't think there is any need to consider yourself a bad person for a lack of empathy for Trump in this moment, especially because there is a difference between apathy and glee. I have had people tell me they are glad he has it and they hope it is more serious for him.

(10-05-2020, 01:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My concern over this is more about the POTUD having COVID, not Trump. The implications for the country and the instability that could ensue are more what my concern is about. I don't think there is any need to consider yourself a bad person for a lack of empathy for Trump in this moment, especially because there is a difference between apathy and glee. I have had people tell me they are glad he has it and they hope it is more serious for him.

In my defense I still haven't been able to wrap my head around the reality that Donald Trump is the president.  Side note, one of my ultra lib friends was saying that he hope Trump recovers because Pence could very well be more electable.

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - Dill - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 01:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If I may play psychological devil's advocate here, being "happy" Trump caught covid may be less about him being ill and more about a perceived sense of fairness.  People tend to like things that are fair or make sense and cognitive dissonance is a pretty big stressor in many aspects of life.

Seeing someone who brags about breaking rules and laws and other societal codes of conduct yet manages to avoid consequence can be a little off-putting for the commoners who don't have the luxury.  Trump actually facing some sort of consequence for his latest gleeful disregard comes off more as satisfying in a sense of fairness moreso that "Hoorah I hope he drops dead" if that makes sense.

This. 

"Happiness" doesn't  describe state of mind, even though it may lessen his chances of reelection. 

"Leftists" who tweet they hope he dies will be soundbite examples on hannity and Laura and Tucker of how horrible "the left" is.

"'the left' will stop at nothing" 

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - hollodero - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 01:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have had people tell me they are glad he has it and they hope it is more serious for him.

Well what if that scenario would actually result in Trump and the government taking corona more seriously and thereby saving numerous lifes?

Disclaimer, I am not glad he has it. But I could understand such a line of thought. And while, for numerous reasons, a speedy recovery is preferrable, I am afraid that Trump then might just come out and say it is not a big deal after all and he barely hed a snuffle.

(10-05-2020, 03:28 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well what if that scenario would actually result in Trump and the government taking corona more seriously and thereby saving numerous lifes?

Disclaimer, I am not glad he has it. But I could understand such a line of thought. And while, for numerous reasons, a speedy recovery is preferrable, I am afraid that Trump then might just come out and say it is not a big deal after all and he barely hed a snuffle.

I can't see the future, but if Trump doesn't use his successful beating of covid to mock liberals and minimize the pandemic I'll be amazed.

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 12:58 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's been 3 days since we first found out that Trump and Melania tested positive for Covid. Since then, nearly a dozen others have tested positive as well, with the initial event that sparked it seemingly being the Coney Barrett announcement last week in which over a hundred people sat closely without masks.

[Image: 5f7824e0282c500018c786fd?width=600&forma...&auto=webp]

Less publicized was the private inside event

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fda...e-0926.jpg]

Since then, the American public has been met with deceit over the condition of the president, especially after he was quickly rushed to Walter Reed after his O2 levels plummeted, something that was only made known after Chief of Staff Mark Meadows confirmed rumors that the WH and Trump's doctor had obfuscated.

We also learned that the Trump team arrived too late to the debate days before to test, requiring organizers to go on the honor system, and the entire Trump family refused to wear masks, despite local policy.

as more and more people began testing positive, including 3 GOP senators, contradictory statements seemed to come about Trump's status.

Trump took to social media to post a video yesterday stating that he now gets it with regards to the virus... only to then leave the hospital for a vanity ride past his supporters, something that then forced multiple secret service agents to quarantine, unnecessarily risking their lives.

A senior aide pushed back at this yesterday, defending the lack of concern with staff, and said that the campaign will continue to use the same poor practices as they have always been using. Republicans have taken to attack people criticizing the lack of masks and social distancing as "victim blaming". Don Jr, days after his dad mocked Biden as he spoke about his dead son, called any comments about Trump's COVID infection "below the belt".

News came out that Hope Hicks, believed to be "Patient zero" of the group, first had symptoms on Wednesday and later tested positive that day. Despite close contact, Trump went ahead with a planned fundraiser at his golf club hours before he tested positive.

Even hospitalized, Trump does not get it and continues to show what his administration is: incompetent, deceitful, and self-serving.

They don't know if she is patient zero or not.  Nor do they seem to show much interest in finding out, either. During the Saturday morning's briefing on Trump's health, Dr. Sean Conley stated they were working with the CDC, state, and local health departments for contact tracing.  However, the CDC has a contact tracing unit on stand by for this and they had yet to be contacted as of yesterday.  And at least 3 state health departments in states Trump had visited last week hadn't been contacted for contact tracing, either. Like Trump has said, tracing these people down and testing them will create more cases which will make this fiasco worse politically for Trump.  And it is important to note, Sean Conley lied repeatedly during his briefing.

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - bfine32 - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 03:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't see the future, but if Trump doesn't use his successful beating of covid to mock liberals and minimize the pandemic I'll be amazed.

I disagree with this. I think he'll take it more seriously. His going to Walter Reed and the remarks in his released video lead me to feel this way. 

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - BmorePat87 - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 03:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: They don't know if she is patient zero or not.  Nor do they seem to show much interest in finding out, either. During the Saturday morning's briefing on Trump's health, Dr. Sean Conley stated they were working with the CDC, state, and local health departments for contact tracing.  However, the CDC has a contact tracing unit on stand by for this and they had yet to be contacted as of yesterday.  And at least 3 state health departments in states Trump had visited last week hadn't been contacted for contact tracing, either. Like Trump has said, tracing these people down and testing them will create more cases which will make this fiasco worse politically for Trump.  And it is important to note, Sean Conley lied repeatedly during his briefing.

Yep, multiple people reported that they had not been contacted for contact tracing. There is absolutely no interest in finding the true extent of this outbreak.

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 03:28 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well what if that scenario would actually result in Trump and the government taking corona more seriously and thereby saving numerous lifes?

Trump is supposed to be in isolation because he is contagious to others.  Yesterday, he had a motorcade drive him outside Walter Reed hospital so he could wave to people on the street unnecessarily exposing Secret Service agents to infection.  He clearly still does not understand or he doesn't care.

[Image: 90762338-58a9-4be8-8505-df4442a1c56d.jpg]

(10-05-2020, 03:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I disagree with this. I think he'll take it more seriously. His going to Walter Reed and the remarks in his released video lead me to feel this way. 

I'll admit I have the bar set low and I hope I'm wrong.

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - BmorePat87 - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 03:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Trump is supposed to be in isolation because he is contagious to others.  Yesterday, he had a motorcade drive him outside Walter Reed hospital so he could wave to people on the street unnecessarily exposing Secret Service agents to infection.  He clearly still does not understand or he doesn't care.

[Image: 90762338-58a9-4be8-8505-df4442a1c56d.jpg]

This occurred moments after posting a video in which he said he now "got it". LOL...

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - bfine32 - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 03:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll admit I have the bar set low and I hope I'm wrong.

I think regardless of political belief most sane people hope this is used in a constructive manner moving forward. As I've previously said I applaud Pelosci and Biden on their reactions to date. I just hope moving forward I can applaud POTUS' actions on this matter.

(10-05-2020, 03:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think regardless of political belief most sane people hope this is used in a constructive manner moving forward. As I've previously said I applaud Pelosci and Biden on their reactions to date. I just hope moving forward I can applaud POTUS' actions on this matter.

I hear ya, I just haven't seen him miss a chance to praise himself and trash his "haters" so time will tell.  The election is so close and as much as he swears he's up big he's going to start with some desperate moves. 

RE: President and First Lady test POSITIVE! - Dill - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 03:32 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: They don't know if she is patient zero or not.  Nor do they seem to show much interest in finding out, either. During the Saturday morning's briefing on Trump's health, Dr. Sean Conley stated they were working with the CDC, state, and local health departments for contact tracing.  However, the CDC has a contact tracing unit on stand by for this and they had yet to be contacted as of yesterday.  And at least 3 state health departments in states Trump had visited last week hadn't been contacted for contact tracing, either. Like Trump has said, tracing these people down and testing them will create more cases which will make this fiasco worse politically for Trump.  And it is important to note, Sean Conley lied repeatedly during his briefing.

Trump is making another wise judgement as leader of the nation.

If contact tracing, like testing, produces more cases, then the responsible thing for a leader to do is ban it.

Dems need to stop politicizing this for Christ's sake.  

A man fell ill serving his country and all "the left" can do is criticize him for continuing to risk others' health. 

(10-02-2020, 09:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Does him being on an early testing treatment seem a little much for a no big deal case?  Maybe I'm over thinking it. 

This question has become increasingly more difficult to answer based upon the information provided by Trump's medical team, most notably White House physician Dr. Sean Conley.

Trump is either much more ill than they are saying based upon the medications they report they are giving him plus the fact he has been admitted and has three ICU and 2 infection disease doctors along with the White House physician at a minimum.  Or if we believe his symptoms really are mild then they are aggressively overtreating him and Trump is a victim of the VIP Syndrome.

Their reported actions don't match their clinical picture.  Sean Conley repeatedly lied during his Saturday morning briefing.  As a naval officer and physician his integrity should be beyond reproach, but he completely compromised his integrity with his repeated lies and created an unnecessary credibility problem for the entire team because now we don't know what is true and what is false.  He admitted he wasn't forthcoming with reporters during Sunday's briefing and claimed "it came off as if we were trying to hide something, which wasn't necessarily true." Except that part is true. He was trying to hide something which is why he kept lying by omission or be giving deliberately misleading statements.  It was so blatantly obvious he was forced to address it the next day. I had questions about his credibility since he wrote the letter about Trump's alleged hydroxychloroquine use in May.  His press briefing removed any doubt.  He's the Navy's equivalent of Baghdad Bob.

(10-05-2020, 03:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This occurred moments after posting a video in which he said he now "got it". LOL...

And the photos of him "working" were staged 10 minutes apart in different rooms signing a blank piece of paper.

(10-05-2020, 03:51 PM)Dill Wrote: Trump is making another wise judgement as leader of the nation.

If contact tracing, like testing, produces more cases, then the responsible thing for a leader to do is ban it.

Dems need to stop politicizing this for Christ's sake.  

A man fell ill serving his country and all "the left" can do is criticize him for continuing to risk others' health. 

And he tried to blame the military and law enforcement because they love him so much they're always trying to come up and kiss him.

Yeah, random PV2 Joe Snuffy just walks right past all the Secret Service agents unchallenged to tongue kiss Trump and gave him the 'rona.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-suggests-military-police-to-blame-for-staff-getting-coronavirus-2020-10