Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
White Privilege? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: White Privilege? (/Thread-White-Privilege)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: White Privilege? - jj22 - 07-17-2018

I disagree. Black people aren't all that cozy with police. Many come from the mind your business train of thought.

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 07-17-2018

(07-17-2018, 05:21 PM)jj22 Wrote: So no it don't happen like it happens to black people.

Sounds suspiciously like a victim mentality to me...I better call the cops.

RE: White Privilege? - PhilHos - 07-18-2018

(07-17-2018, 05:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: I disagree. Black people aren't all that cozy with police. Many come from the mind your business train of thought.

White people aren't all that cozy with police either.

RE: White Privilege? - bfine32 - 08-01-2018

I found this scientific student to be ridiculous:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/black-man-wears-caucasian-shirt-expose-hypocrisy-white-privilege-220329924.html

Quote:“Basically, I was being shamed as a black person for wearing a non-disrespectful shirt with a white person logo on it,” tweeted Joseph. “But people wear apparel and jerseys with logos depicting things such as a Native American and call them ‘redskins’ … whew chile, the hypocrisy and privilege!”

I wonder if the author saw me wearing a shirt with a picture of a black man and the word NEGROIDS along the bottom would it be an example of me being shamed for being white if a black person said anything about it?

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 08-01-2018

(08-01-2018, 03:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I found this scientific student to be ridiculous:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/black-man-wears-caucasian-shirt-expose-hypocrisy-white-privilege-220329924.html

I wonder if the author saw me wearing a shirt with a picture of a black man and the word NEGROS along the bottom would it be an example of me being shamed for being white if a black person said anything about it?

Yeah, that was a pretty stupid.

RE: White Privilege? - PhilHos - 08-01-2018

(08-01-2018, 03:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I found this scientific student to be ridiculous:

I wonder if the author saw me wearing a shirt with a picture of a black man and the word NEGROIDS along the bottom would it be an example of me being shamed for being white if a black person said anything about it?

(08-01-2018, 04:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, that was a pretty stupid.

Not to mention that more people probably associate the Redskins logo with a football team than anything racist.

RE: White Privilege? - BmorePat87 - 08-01-2018

(08-01-2018, 05:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Not to mention that more people probably associate the Redskins logo with a football team than anything racist.

I think that was the point 

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 08-01-2018

(08-01-2018, 06:23 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think that was the point 

Then he should have manned up and put “cracker” or “ honkey”. And I don’t know why it is white privilege anymore than black privilege.

RE: White Privilege? - BmorePat87 - 08-01-2018

(08-01-2018, 06:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Then he should have manned up and put “cracker” or “ honkey”.  And I don’t know why it is white privilege anymore than black privilege.

I don't know about the whole privilege part, but it made the point that an ethnic group shouldn't be a mascot. 

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 08-02-2018

The first thing I thought of when I read it was what kind of reaction would a white man walking around with the same shirt labeled Negroes get from black people? I am pretty sure those comments would be just as contentious.

RE: White Privilege? - BmorePat87 - 08-02-2018

(08-02-2018, 11:09 AM)Beaker Wrote: The first thing I thought of when I read it was what kind of reaction would a white man walking around with the same shirt labeled Negroes get from black people? I am pretty sure those comments would be just as contentious.

I agree. And I think that would also make the same point that "redskins" is an inappropriate team mascot. 

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 08-02-2018

(08-02-2018, 11:39 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I agree. And I think that would also make the same point that "redskins" is an inappropriate team mascot. 

But he used the "experiment" to show white privilege. So would the reverse experiment as I outlined show black privilege?

(08-02-2018, 11:51 AM)Beaker Wrote: But he used the "experiment" to show white privilege. So would the reverse experiment as I outlined show black privilege?

Yes, it would. The idea of privilege can exist within any community. In the case of sports mascots, I'd argue that the privilege is held by every group but Native Americans.

As this "experiment" showed, many find it offensive to have a mock sports logo featuring a non offensive word because the group is white people. People did not like to think of themselves as mascots. I think an identical reaction would be found with a shirt that said "Blacks" or "Asians" or "Latinos". But it's accepted that "Redskins" is acceptable and not offensive. 

So while I don't think his commentary can be limited to white privilege, the point being made with regards to the hypocrisy over the Redskins logo is valid. 

RE: White Privilege? - bfine32 - 08-02-2018

(08-02-2018, 11:51 AM)Beaker Wrote: But he used the "experiment" to show white privilege. So would the reverse experiment as I outlined show black privilege?

Of course he used the experiment to show white privilege. All one has to do it read the article and I think we can all agreed it was very flawed. 

Dude even went so far as to state he was "shamed for being a black man." Any attempt to assign any validity to this "experiment" is nothing more than race baiting. Hell, even Fred sees that.

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 08-02-2018

I think most of the negative comments he got were from people who don't like being called racists because they call the Washington football team the Redskins. If the logo was not made to look like the Redskin logo people would have just been confused instead of upset.

I doubt it has anything to do with white people being upset at being turned into mascots. Every "human" mascot on the sidelines for an NFL team is a white man (Patriots, Saints, Cowboys, Texans, Forty-niners, Vikings, etc). Same with colleges (Notre Dame, Perdue, Tennessee, Nebraska). The question should be why there is not more diversity in that area.

(08-02-2018, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think most of the negative comments he got were from people who don't like being called racists because they call the Washington football team the Redskins.  If the logo was not made to look like the Redskin logo people would have just been confused instead of upset.

I doubt it has anything to do with white people being upset at being turned into mascots.  Every "human" mascot on the sidelines for an NFL team is a white man (Patriots, Saints, Cowboys, Texans, Forty-niners, Vikings, etc).  Same with colleges (Notre Dame, Perdue, Tennessee, Nebraska).  The question should be why there is not more diversity in that area.

I guess we won't know until we have the Hawaii Crackers, the Alabama Orientals, or the New Hampshire Coloreds. 

RE: White Privilege? - PhilHos - 08-02-2018

(08-02-2018, 01:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think most of the negative comments he got were from people who don't like being called racists because they call the Washington football team the Redskins.  If the logo was not made to look like the Redskin logo people would have just been confused instead of upset.

I doubt it has anything to do with white people being upset at being turned into mascots.  

fred gets it

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 08-02-2018

(08-02-2018, 02:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I guess we won't know until we have the Hawaii Crackers, the Alabama Orientals, or the New Hampshire Coloreds. 

Who would put a team in New Hampshire?

(08-02-2018, 08:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Who would put a team in New Hampshire?

They put one in Cincinnati

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 08-06-2018

(08-02-2018, 08:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: They put one in Cincinnati

And kept it.