Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase (/Thread-Report-Burrow-pushing-for-Bengals-to-draft-Chase)

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - BurnsBengal - 03-29-2021

This is a really weird thread. First of all, people are treating some internet rumor of "Burrow would be happy throwing to Chase again" as "Burrow is practically running the show in the first round and is actively lobbying only for him". Secondly, the practice of lifting up player A by knocking down player B is never very convincing. Both are spec'ed to be excellent pros. I'd honestly be happy with either and I hope folks aren't getting too invested suddenly in their "side" where they are practically gutted if the team goes with the other. Its a weird phenomena, but I have been in a coma for the past 25 years and am new to the internet.

It'll all be moot anyway when they take a CB in Round 1.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well im on board taking Slater also either at #5 or dropping back if Carolina wants to jump up since looks pretty solid Miami, Lions and Panthers are not looking at Oline it seems...

I keep seeing people suggesting Carolina will try and trade up with us to grab a QB, but why would they? They know we aren’t taking one. Miami is probably not with Tua there, and Detroit has Goff on a contract they can’t get out of until 2023. Carolina could stay put and take one in their own spot.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: So's Terrace Marshall.  So is practically every guy he played with at LSU.

At the end of the day, he's the guy standing behind that OL and he's the one that has to make our WR's look good.  I would certainly trust his opinion on what the offense needs over some random fan on an internet message board.  

Yep. Despite the 2019 LSU OL winning the Joe Moore award, they were largely just a decent unit, but certainly not elite. When was the first one even drafted, 3rd or 4th round?

Joe and those WR’s made that offense go. Give him just an average OL and some high end weapons and he’ll light it up.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. Despite the 2019 LSU OL winning the Joe Moore award, they were largely just a decent unit, but certainly not elite. When was the first one even drafted, 3rd or 4th round?

Joe and those WR’s made that offense go. Give him just an average OL and some high end weapons and he’ll light it up.

And we can still make the O-line more than decent after the first round. All for Sewell but if we grab Pitts or Chase and go 
after O-lineman afterward it still might be the best way to go. Pitts is a crazy talent, never seen a player like him, he is a 
monster at 6'6" who can run a 4.46 forty and runs great routes and can play WR or TE. Mismatch from hell.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - fredtoast - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I keep seeing people suggesting Carolina will try and trade up with us to grab a QB, but why would they? They know we aren’t taking one. Miami is probably not with Tua there, and Detroit has Goff on a contract they can’t get out of until 2023. Carolina could stay put and take one in their own spot.

The only reason would be to keep us from trading with someone else trying to jump in front of the Panthers

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - jj22 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only reason would be to keep us from trading with someone else trying to jump in front of the Panthers

True. If they think we are willing to drop to 9, 10, or 15.

(03-29-2021, 06:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: True. If they think we are willing to drop to 9, 10, or 15.

Dallas is not taking a QB.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - jj22 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 06:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dallas is not taking a QB.

Oh yea, maybe I had 10 in my head from when I thought they might before the extension for Dak. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - coachmcneil71 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Because we've all been fans way too long to believe this will actually be what they do and after watching them ignore the line completely last season, it is a huge concern.

My honest belief of what happens.

Pick 5 - We take Chase to make Burrow happy and get the fans all excited, gotta sell tickets.

Round 2 - There is a run at the end of 1 into start of round 2 on O-line, especially with the Jets and Jags both getting rookie QBs, and we decide the value isn't there and take an edge rusher or... we reach for a 3rd round prospect like we did with Sample.

Round 3 - Maybe now, they actually take the G from Illinois or Tennessee.

Round 4 - LB/TE/WR

Round 5 - See above but remove what was taken.

Round 6 (a) - Developmental QB for 3rd string

Round 6 (b) - Random CB

Round 7 - K

Why take the chance on maybe getting your guy in round 2 for the line when you absolutely know you can get a guy that is better then anyone you have in round one?

You do realize that " the G" from Tennessee is a mountain of a man and he can play T? He's better suited to G except for his height. He's a  giant! 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - fredtoast - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. Despite the 2019 LSU OL winning the Joe Moore award, they were largely just a decent unit, but certainly not elite. When was the first one even drafted, 3rd or 4th round?

The LSU O-line was elite.

If Joe could make an offense go without a good O-line then he would not have been the 25th ranked QB in the league.  Boyd, Higgens, and Mixon are all good skill position players.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Destro - 03-29-2021

The most likely scenario is whomever the Bengals select will not finish or won't have a good season and who they don't draft will go on to have a long and storied career.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - AQIndianHill - 03-29-2021

The most incompetent Franchise in NFL history

Fresh off another laughingstock season where their Franchise QB was decimated due to poor O line

Has the chance to address and Solidify O line with a hell of a player in Sewell....

But, wants a shiny new WR; and to march a patch work, low investment OLine back out for 2021 vs a division of great pass rushers.

And the lemming fans on here 'I Trust them to make the right decision'. LOL - Based on what?

This team is a ***** joke. We are call Bungles due to 25+ years of proof

(03-29-2021, 06:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The LSU O-line was elite.

If Joe could make an offense go without a good O-line then he would not have been the 25th ranked QB in the league.  Boyd, Higgens, and Mixon are all good skill position players.

What round was the first “elite” LSU olineman taken?

Also, I literally said they were decent in my post. But none of them were high picks.

(03-29-2021, 06:13 PM)AQIndianHill Wrote: The most incompetent Franchise in NFL history

Fresh off another laughingstock season where their Franchise QB was decimated due to poor O line

Has the chance to address and Solidify O line with a hell of a player in Sewell....

But, wants a shiny new WR; and to march a patch work, low investment OLine back out for 2021 vs a division of great pass rushers.

And the lemming fans on here 'I Trust them to make the right decision'. LOL - Based on what?

Go away.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Truck_1_0_1_ - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 06:13 PM)AQIndianHill Wrote: The most incompetent Franchise in NFL history

Eat ****

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Essex Johnson - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I keep seeing people suggesting Carolina will try and trade up with us to grab a QB, but why would they? They know we aren’t taking one. Miami is probably not with Tua there, and Detroit has Goff on a contract they can’t get out of until 2023. Carolina could stay put and take one in their own spot.

The thought from what  read  is if 3 QBs go in 1st 4 picks, Panthers might worry that someone will jump them .. to be honest I'm picking either Sewell or Slater at #5 .

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 02:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, it’s really getting annoying. And I’ve been on the Sewell bandwagon longer than most here. But I’m open to other options. Guys like Chase and Pitts would be great additions.

As someone who is full steam ahead on the Sewell train (woot! woot!), it is not that I think Pitts and Chase (or Slater or Smith or Waddle or Parsons) are not good players who would be wonderful additions at positions where we need help. They all are.

It is that I think getting the best quality offensive line we can, as fast as we can, should be, far and away, our #1 priority. Why? Let me count the ways....

1) Joe Burrow is the franchise. Protecting the franchise is priority #1. We did not do this last year. See what happened. See also Greg Cook and Carson Palmer.

2) Even with fantastic weapons, poor protection gets you beat. See Mahommes in Super Bowl. Look at the Browns. Got OBJ, still stunk. Conklin & Willis = POs.

3) I think Sewell has a chance to be a generational player at his position. Aside from Pitts, and maybe Parsons, I don't think any of the others are.

4) I fear Burrow had a lot to do with Chase's production. Ditto Jones and the system for the Bama WRs.

5) Taking the stud OT now makes more sense in terms of team building. Why? OT is a more important position than WR/TE. More foundational. Poor line play gets you beat, period, no matter the skill guys. Great line play (with a great QB) means a contender, almost regardless of the weapons (Brady in NE). 

6) I feel it is easier to get quality WRs late 1st or top 2nd than franchise OTs. Chad. CC. Pickens. Not to mention guys like Antonio Brown (6th). For LBs, or TEs, or OGs, it is even easier. Getting Reiff and Pollack will help. We'll be better next year. Meaning, picking lower. Impact WRs, OGs, LBs, DTs, we can get those later this year or next. That franchise tackle is gonna be much harder, not to mention a generational one. 

7) It is not just about protecting Burrow. The best Bengals teams had stud OLs. Munoz & Montoya. Whit & Zeitler. Big Willie. This enabled us to run the ball effectively with a wide variety of RBs (Pete Johnson, Brooks, Icky, Kinnebrew, Dillon, etc). It allowed a wide array of WRs to be very successful here (CC, Chad, Eddie Brown, McGee, Pickens, Housh). It allowed good quarterbacks to be great (Anderson, Boomer, Palmer) and average ones to be very good (Dalton). Burrow will make us competitive with a mediocre line. With an average one, we're a PO team. With a good line, and a running game, Joe makes us contenders. A GREAT line....Drafting Sewell puts great line on the table. It takes mediocre off the table. Probably average too. 

8) Burrow with a good (or better) line will make us a draw for FAs. On both sides of the ball. Let us make that happen. As quickly as we can. 
------------

There are more. But that is more than enough. Again, I think Pitts, Chase, and Slater/Smith/Waddle/Parsons would all help us. We need help at those spots. But I think Sewell could transform us. And we likely will not have a shot at the transformational guy again anytime soon.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 06:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The thought from what  read  is if 3 QBs go in 1st 4 picks, Panthers might worry that someone will jump them .. to be honest I'm picking either Sewell or Slater at #5 .

Yeah. I think Dener or NE (or Chicago?) would be the trade up threats who could leapfrog Carolina.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - jason - 03-29-2021

It's best to check for typos when you come in condescending, and trying to talk shit. Doing that makes one look foolish anyway, but it's even worse when your oopsies are left for everyone to see.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Hammerstripes - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 04:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, the top two OT’s taken last year were Andrew Thomas and Jedrick Willis. The former wasn’t great and the latter was just ok.

The next two taken? Mekhi Becton and Tristan Wirfs. Both absolute studs. Taking the first or even second OT doesn’t guarantee he’ll be the best.

I would credit that to the fact that there was no true consensus last year.  You ask 5 different people and you get 5 different rankings.