Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates (/Thread-Training-Camp-Chat-News-Updates)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - WeezyBengal - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 10:53 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Im not gonna overreact from this tweet, but Carman is gonna need legit competition at RT next year

He's not good enough. I'm not sold he even makes the team this year/next. 

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Bengalbug - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:31 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He's not good enough. I'm not sold he even makes the team this year/next. 

Based on what he did last year in the playoffs, he will make this team as a depth piece, especially considering his price - $2m. If we need him in the playoffs, like last year, he is worth that.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Soonerpeace - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:21 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: On a few third downs, the Bengals lined up Hendrickson and Sam Hubbard at defensive end with Myles Murphy and Joseph Ossai rushing up the middle to create an instantly dangerous pass rush.

That part is interesting to me. We can call it our nascar package or something. I figured that Hubbard and Hendrickson would be the ones to move inside, but if we can get all four on the field at the same time, hopefully we can stall out opponents drives more frequently. Whatever the bengals did the the packers yesterday, just do that.

I’m sure they are experimenting

Without saying anything directly, here is what the packers coach thinks of our backup situation.

Matt LaFleur on Packers CBs facing the Bengals WRs: “I wish Joe Burrow was gonna be out there throwing them the ball to get a really good indication of where we are.”

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - NUGDUKWE - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:03 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I agree Frank, especially from anything this clown tweets. If it happened on every down I would be concerned, not just 1 play.

Not a Goodberry fan? I enjoy his takes and breakdowns. I feel like multiple sources have stated Carman isn't showing especially well at RT. But he can continue to work at it and he's still really valuable in my eyes backing up LT this year. Hopefully he can figure it out but I sure hope we won't be counting on him next year unless he forced to play RT this year and plays well.

(08-10-2023, 11:56 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Without saying anything directly, here is what the packers coach thinks of our backup situation.

Matt LaFleur on Packers CBs facing the Bengals WRs: “I wish Joe Burrow was gonna be out there throwing them the ball to get a really good indication of where we are.”

Well that's an honest take. Burrow not practicing is the only reason I was excited for the joint practice. At the very least we could get a better evaluation of our defense. Which both defenses played well but I think both offenses aren't exactly juggernauts with Burrow being out. 

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 08-10-2023

Carman has had trouble being a consistent player at guard and at RT. He has lioked best, by far, at RT. He seems to be not overly find for practice & such. His habits were poor when he got here. That is not the kind of guy who plays multiple positions well, despite the obvious talents & flashes. Or, at least not right away.

Adeniji is more of a sponge/practice guy, but his physical issues show up in the games, especially vs elite competition.

I haven't seen enough of Ford to make a judgement.

I can say that a healthy, 2021 version of Jonah Williams is head & shoulders above any of these guys, right now, at RT. So is a healthy Collins.

But at least Carman can point to good play in the POs. Adeniji cannot, and neither can Ford or Smith.At tackle:

1) Brown
----------
2) Williams
-----------
3) Collins (RT only, if healthy)
-----------
4) Carman (LT only?)
------------
5) Adeniji, Smith, Ford: Battling for that extra spot if Collins is out, and possibly guard depth as well.

Guard:
1) Cappa
--------
2) Volson
------------
3) Scharping
4) Ford, Adeniji, Smith, Hill, B. Brown, Kirkland, Karras (if #2 C is better than #3 G)

I think Scharping is a near lock, but I could see scenarios where he gets beaten out.

Center:
1) Karras
-----------
2) Hill
3) B. Brown, Scharping

(08-10-2023, 11:34 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Based on what he did last year in the playoffs, he will make this team as a depth piece, especially considering his price - $2m.  If we need him in the playoffs, like last year, he is worth that.

I am not buying what he did in the playoffs as a true evaluation of his talent. Two games is an extremely small sample size and one of those games was in snowy conditions. 

(08-10-2023, 12:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Carman has had trouble being a consistent player at guard and at RT. He has lioked best, by far, at RT. He seems to be not overly find for practice & such. His habits were poor when he got here. That is not the kind of guy who plays multiple positions well, despite the obvious talents & flashes. Or, at least not right away.

Adeniji is more of a sponge/practice guy, but his physical issues show up in the games, especially vs elite competition.

I can say that a healthy, 2021 version of Jonah Williams is head & shoulders above any of these guys, right now, at RT. So is a healthy Collins.  

But at least Carman can point to good play in the POs. Adeniji cannot, and neither can Ford or Smith.At tackle:

1) Brown
----------
2) Williams
-----------
-----------
4) Carman (LT only?)
------------
5) Adeniji, Smith, Ford: Battling for that extra spot if Collins is out, and possibly guard depth as well.

Guard:
1) Cappa
--------
2) Volson
------------
3) Scharping
4) Ford, Adeniji, Smith, Hill, B. Brown, Kirkland, Karras (if #2 C is better than #3 G)

I think Scharping is a near lock, but I could see scenarios where he gets beaten out.

Center:
1) Karras
-----------
2) Hill
3) B. Brown, Scharping

I'm over Adenji. Send him packing yesterday. Ill take my changes with a beat up LC over him. 

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - ochocincos - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 11:31 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He's not good enough. I'm not sold he even makes the team this year/next. 

Carman has a couple things going for him this year and next:
This year, he doesn't really have anyone who has shown to be better. Adeniji has been bad for 3 years, Smith has essentially shown nothing so far, and Collins is on PUP.
Next year, Williams, Adeniji, and Ford are all set to hit FA. Carman might be kept just to have someone familiar with the offense.

(08-10-2023, 12:28 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am not buying what he did in the playoffs as a true evaluation of his talent. Two games is an extremely small sample size and one of those games was in snowy conditions. 

I don’t disagree, but I don’t think he has a chance of getting cut this year, based on play. Go do something stupid off the field and that’s a whole different situation.

(08-10-2023, 12:26 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Carman has had trouble being a consistent player at guard and at RT. He has lioked best, by far, at RT. He seems to be not overly find for practice & such. His habits were poor when he got here. That is not the kind of guy who plays multiple positions well, despite the obvious talents & flashes. Or, at least not right away.

1) Brown
----------
2) Williams
-----------

-----------
4) Carman (LT only?)
------------

Guard:
1) Cappa
--------
2) Volson
------------
3) Scharping

Center:
1) Karras
-----------
2) Hill
3) B. Brown, Scharping

Why only RT for Collins? He played guard in the past at a high level. He looks like at this point even if he is healthy he can't move laterally without falling down so I was curious if a move to guard would help him. The interior of our line is where I am most worried about depth.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - 007BengalsFan - 08-10-2023

Carman has been moved all over the line in the 3 years he has been here. Pollack has had him at RG, LG, LT, now RT. The only position he hasnt been moved to is center. I would say stop moving him around and let him develop at a position. I believe Carman has looked best on the left side of the line at LG and LT. Move him back to the left side and let him be a backup at LT, LG while he continues to develop.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-10-2023

(08-09-2023, 11:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/08/09/the-bengals-defense-showed-its-upside-against-the-packers/70563164007/

Wow the defense sounds ridiculously good. Stifling

During Wednesday’s joint practice against the Green Bay Packers, the Bengals’ defense started to show that the answer is yes with leaping pass breakups, vicious tackles for loss, a pick six, a few punches thrown and even more trash talk. A few veterans thought that the Bengals’ defense had one of its best practices in years after the Packers struggled getting first downs all day.

“We wanted to showcase all of the work we’ve put in, and we did a pretty good job,” Bengals safety Dax Hill said. “We were on the same page, and we were having fun. It was a great day against the Packers. We’ve shown that we can cover anyone. There’s no limit to our defense. We have one of the best fronts in the league. Then with our back 7, it’s the best of both worlds. We’re one big group. It’s going to be a great season for all of us.”
In its best opportunity before the start of the season, the Bengals’ swaggering defense showed that it’s back. Even though middle linebacker Logan Wilson missed practice with an injury, the Bengals’ defense shined. 
The loudest statement took place when defensive tackle DJ Reader, linebacker Germaine Pratt and a few other Bengals got into a fight during practice with some Packers’ offensive linemen. 
After practice, one Bengals player thought that Packers offensive lineman Elgton Jenkins was tired of going up against the Bengals’ defensive line and wanted to quit that day’s practice. After a second skirmish with Reader, Jenkins was removed from practice.

Even more important was the statement that the Bengals’ defense made just about every time Packers quarterback Jordan Love dropped back in the pocket.
Against the Bengals’ first-team defense, the Packers only made a few significant plays. For nearly the entire practice, the Bengals forced Love to check the ball down or make a short throw to a receiver crossing right in front of him near the line of scrimmage. 

“I think probably the underrated portion of our defense is how smart they are,” Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said. “They can make adjustments at the drop of the hat because they've played together for so many years. They're all so smart. It's really frustrating as a play caller on offense, sometimes when you practice against the same team over and over and over. And they do such a good job in so many areas.”

Hill and Nick Scott, the Bengals’ new starters at safety, were all over the field and filled similar responsibilities to what Bates and Bell did last season. Even more than Bates and Bell, Hill and Scott are interchangeable. Bates usually was the safety in zone coverage over the top, but Hill and Scott both fill that role often.

Scott said that there were no glaring mistakes in the secondary and too many big highlights to remember. Hill broke up a pass over the middle in tight man coverage, and he was the Bengals’ best defender against tight ends while facing a Packers team that features their tight ends.

Scott broke up a play with a blitz, made a physical tackle in the backfield against the run, made a big tackle against a receiver over the middle of the field and played consistent zone coverage. 
Throughout training camp, the Bengals’ new safeties have checked every box that the defense was looking for.

“What can’t those guys do?” cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt said. “They can cover. They can hit. They’re smart. They’re very communicative. They make sure the whole defense is talking. Nick is yelling over here and Dax is yelling over there. We need that. We’re a noisy defense. We need that with our leaders at safety.”

The highlight of the day took place when Hill and Scott were both in coverage over the middle of the field and Love thought that he had a chance to complete a deep ball. Love unleashed a high-arcing pass down the field, and Taylor-Britt and rookie cornerback DJ Turner II raced to break it up. They’re two of the faster cornerbacks in the NFL, and they arrived at the ball so quickly that they each surprised each other, collided and couldn’t complete the interception. 

Still, the play showed the impact that the improved speed in the Bengals’ secondary can make.
“You need guys back there like that, and DJ keeps making plays,” Taylor-Britt said. “Our speed is crazy. It’s unreal. We all have good numbers, but our game speed is even faster. It’s wild.”
Turner made the biggest mistake of the day. He got beat badly on a double move by Packers wide receiver Romeo Doubs, who broke free and made a touchdown catch deep down the sideline. On that play, Turner said that he learned his lesson to not sit on routes. Taylor-Britt had a few “don’t do that again” moments in games last season, and Turner got one on Wednesday. 

Turner made up for his mistake. He broke up two passes, and he also won a one-on-one matchup against Doubs on a goal-line fade to end a Packers red zone drive.
“He’s a competitor, no matter what,” Hill said. “No matter who he’s going against, he’s going to give it his best. That has been on display the whole time he has been here. I’m excited for him.”

The weak link on the Bengals’ defense on Wednesday was veteran cornerback Sidney Jones IV, who has taken most of the first-team reps in the place of rehabbing cornerback Chidobe Awuzie. Most of Love’s big throws came with Jones in coverage. When the Packers needed a first down, especially in a two-minute drill, Love targeted the receiver who Jones was defending. 
As Jones was struggling, the Bengals’ coaching staff decided to rotate Turner in more frequently, and Turner took advantage of the opportunity. Awuzie will likely be back in the starting lineup for Week 1, but Turner looks like the Bengals’ best option to be their first cornerback off the bench.

Up front, the Bengals’ defensive line was even more impressive than the secondary. Reader said that he had one of his best practices with the Bengals. He shoved back multiple blockers against the run, consistently broke through the middle of the pocket and regularly forced Love to scramble.

Defensive end Trey Hendrickson had his best practice of training camp. After one of his many sacks, Hendrickson pointed to Love to talk trash and celebrate his big day. On a few third downs, the Bengals lined up Hendrickson and Sam Hubbard at defensive end with Myles Murphy and Joseph Ossai rushing up the middle to create an instantly dangerous pass rush. 

After practice, one of the starters on the Bengals’ defense said that he wished the Bengals played the Packers during the regular season because he knew that the Bengals would beat them. 
This new version of the Bengals’ defense will have to prove themselves all season, but their first test run against another team couldn’t have gone any better. 
“Today showed we’re a poised group,” Taylor-Britt said. “I don’t see a lot of things getting to us. We don’t allow a lot of deep balls. We keep everything in front of us. We don’t give up penalties. We harp on our technique. And we’re physical.”

Love hearing all of this about the Defense. This D could be a top 5 Defense this year for sure. I love hearing about the growth of the
new Safeties and how both Dax and Nick have taken control of the Defense and are extremely vocal and are always communicating.

Also love that Nascar package with Murphy and Ossai rushing up the middle with Trey and Sam on the outside. This could be deadly 
on 3rd and longs for opposing Offenses with this extremely fast Secondary and our smart LB's.

(08-10-2023, 12:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Carman has a couple things going for him this year and next:
This year, he doesn't really have anyone who has shown to be better. Adeniji has been bad for 3 years, Smith has essentially shown nothing so far, and Collins is on PUP.
Next year, Williams, Adeniji, and Ford are all set to hit FA. Carman might be kept just to have someone familiar with the offense.

Weezy must really hate Carman and have a clear bias against him to prefer Adeniji, D'Ante Smith and Ford over him....

Who have all been terrible in the NFL their entire careers.

At least Carman has shown some good things, but I guess that wouldn't matter to Weezy either. Just cut the guy and keep the players
that are the main reason we have not won a Super Bowl yet, makes sense.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - Frank Booth - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 02:39 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Carman has been moved all over the line in the 3 years he has been here.  Pollack has had him at RG, LG, LT, now RT.  The only position he hasnt been moved to is center.  I would say stop moving him around and let him develop at a position.  I believe Carman has looked best on the left side of the line at LG and LT.  Move him back to the left side and let him be a backup at LT, LG while he continues to develop.

bengals already have a LT and LG locked up for the next multiple years

unless you want to throw in the towel, and have the 2nd round pick be a career back up

(08-10-2023, 04:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: bengals already have a LT and LG locked up for the next multiple years

unless you want to throw in the towel, and have the 2nd round pick be a career back up

Let Carman keep working at RT where Jonah is currently in front of him is my vote. Because yeah, LT and LG are locked up and Jonah 
at times has trouble staying healthy and Jonah probably won't be here after this season. Carman being a backup this year and making 
the jump to the starter at RT next year would be ideal rather than just throwing in the towel as you say.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - SunsetBengal - 08-10-2023

(08-09-2023, 11:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2023/08/09/the-bengals-defense-showed-its-upside-against-the-packers/70563164007/

Wow the defense sounds ridiculously good. Stifling

During Wednesday’s joint practice against the Green Bay Packers, the Bengals’ defense started to show that the answer is yes with leaping pass breakups, vicious tackles for loss, a pick six, a few punches thrown and even more trash talk. A few veterans thought that the Bengals’ defense had one of its best practices in years after the Packers struggled getting first downs all day.

“We wanted to showcase all of the work we’ve put in, and we did a pretty good job,” Bengals safety Dax Hill said. “We were on the same page, and we were having fun. It was a great day against the Packers. We’ve shown that we can cover anyone. There’s no limit to our defense. We have one of the best fronts in the league. Then with our back 7, it’s the best of both worlds. We’re one big group. It’s going to be a great season for all of us.”
In its best opportunity before the start of the season, the Bengals’ swaggering defense showed that it’s back. Even though middle linebacker Logan Wilson missed practice with an injury, the Bengals’ defense shined. 
The loudest statement took place when defensive tackle DJ Reader, linebacker Germaine Pratt and a few other Bengals got into a fight during practice with some Packers’ offensive linemen. 
After practice, one Bengals player thought that Packers offensive lineman Elgton Jenkins was tired of going up against the Bengals’ defensive line and wanted to quit that day’s practice. After a second skirmish with Reader, Jenkins was removed from practice.

Even more important was the statement that the Bengals’ defense made just about every time Packers quarterback Jordan Love dropped back in the pocket.
Against the Bengals’ first-team defense, the Packers only made a few significant plays. For nearly the entire practice, the Bengals forced Love to check the ball down or make a short throw to a receiver crossing right in front of him near the line of scrimmage. 

“I think probably the underrated portion of our defense is how smart they are,” Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said. “They can make adjustments at the drop of the hat because they've played together for so many years. They're all so smart. It's really frustrating as a play caller on offense, sometimes when you practice against the same team over and over and over. And they do such a good job in so many areas.”

Hill and Nick Scott, the Bengals’ new starters at safety, were all over the field and filled similar responsibilities to what Bates and Bell did last season. Even more than Bates and Bell, Hill and Scott are interchangeable. Bates usually was the safety in zone coverage over the top, but Hill and Scott both fill that role often.

Scott said that there were no glaring mistakes in the secondary and too many big highlights to remember. Hill broke up a pass over the middle in tight man coverage, and he was the Bengals’ best defender against tight ends while facing a Packers team that features their tight ends.

Scott broke up a play with a blitz, made a physical tackle in the backfield against the run, made a big tackle against a receiver over the middle of the field and played consistent zone coverage. 
Throughout training camp, the Bengals’ new safeties have checked every box that the defense was looking for.

“What can’t those guys do?” cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt said. “They can cover. They can hit. They’re smart. They’re very communicative. They make sure the whole defense is talking. Nick is yelling over here and Dax is yelling over there. We need that. We’re a noisy defense. We need that with our leaders at safety.”

The highlight of the day took place when Hill and Scott were both in coverage over the middle of the field and Love thought that he had a chance to complete a deep ball. Love unleashed a high-arcing pass down the field, and Taylor-Britt and rookie cornerback DJ Turner II raced to break it up. They’re two of the faster cornerbacks in the NFL, and they arrived at the ball so quickly that they each surprised each other, collided and couldn’t complete the interception. 

Still, the play showed the impact that the improved speed in the Bengals’ secondary can make.
“You need guys back there like that, and DJ keeps making plays,” Taylor-Britt said. “Our speed is crazy. It’s unreal. We all have good numbers, but our game speed is even faster. It’s wild.”
Turner made the biggest mistake of the day. He got beat badly on a double move by Packers wide receiver Romeo Doubs, who broke free and made a touchdown catch deep down the sideline. On that play, Turner said that he learned his lesson to not sit on routes. Taylor-Britt had a few “don’t do that again” moments in games last season, and Turner got one on Wednesday. 

Turner made up for his mistake. He broke up two passes, and he also won a one-on-one matchup against Doubs on a goal-line fade to end a Packers red zone drive.
“He’s a competitor, no matter what,” Hill said. “No matter who he’s going against, he’s going to give it his best. That has been on display the whole time he has been here. I’m excited for him.”

The weak link on the Bengals’ defense on Wednesday was veteran cornerback Sidney Jones IV, who has taken most of the first-team reps in the place of rehabbing cornerback Chidobe Awuzie. Most of Love’s big throws came with Jones in coverage. When the Packers needed a first down, especially in a two-minute drill, Love targeted the receiver who Jones was defending. 
As Jones was struggling, the Bengals’ coaching staff decided to rotate Turner in more frequently, and Turner took advantage of the opportunity. Awuzie will likely be back in the starting lineup for Week 1, but Turner looks like the Bengals’ best option to be their first cornerback off the bench.

Up front, the Bengals’ defensive line was even more impressive than the secondary. Reader said that he had one of his best practices with the Bengals. He shoved back multiple blockers against the run, consistently broke through the middle of the pocket and regularly forced Love to scramble.

Defensive end Trey Hendrickson had his best practice of training camp. After one of his many sacks, Hendrickson pointed to Love to talk trash and celebrate his big day. On a few third downs, the Bengals lined up Hendrickson and Sam Hubbard at defensive end with Myles Murphy and Joseph Ossai rushing up the middle to create an instantly dangerous pass rush. 

After practice, one of the starters on the Bengals’ defense said that he wished the Bengals played the Packers during the regular season because he knew that the Bengals would beat them. 
This new version of the Bengals’ defense will have to prove themselves all season, but their first test run against another team couldn’t have gone any better. 
“Today showed we’re a poised group,” Taylor-Britt said. “I don’t see a lot of things getting to us. We don’t allow a lot of deep balls. We keep everything in front of us. We don’t give up penalties. We harp on our technique. And we’re physical.”

While it's nice that the defense has got itself together despite some personnel shakeups, let's not go anointing them as the next "Steel Curtain", 85 Bears, or '01 Ravens just yet.  After all, they were only practicing against the Packers in the post Rodgers and Adams era.  Let's put it this way, one of our sons is a Packers fan, and he's already decided that he's pulling for the Bengals with me this season.

(08-10-2023, 04:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While it's nice that the defense has got itself together despite some personnel shakeups, let's not go anointing them as the next "Steel Curtain", 85 Bears, or '01 Ravens just yet.  After all, they were only practicing against the Packers in the post Rodgers and Adams era.  Let's put it this way, one of our sons is a Packers fan, and he's already decided that he's pulling for the Bengals with me this season.

If Love can play good, that team could be very underrated going into this season. Love is the question though for damn sure.

The Packers roster is pretty stacked, besides the question at QB.

RE: Training Camp Chat/News/Updates - rfaulk34 - 08-10-2023

(08-10-2023, 04:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While it's nice that the defense has got itself together despite some personnel shakeups, let's not go anointing them as the next "Steel Curtain", 85 Bears, or '01 Ravens just yet.  After all, they were only practicing against the Packers in the post Rodgers and Adams era.  Let's put it this way, one of our sons is a Packers fan, and he's already decided that he's pulling for the Bengals with me this season.

Mere chumps next to the '23 Bengals.   Ninja