Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jake Browning appreciation thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jake Browning appreciation thread (/Thread-Jake-Browning-appreciation-thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Au165 - 12-17-2023

There has been some magic here and if you are thinking short sighted about results, which makes sense, then he’s great. The reality though is he is doing a lot of half field reads and still missing a ton. Yesterday his INT was thrown on a curl/flat combo which is one of the most basic reads in any level of football. He had a dropper under his curl with a wide open flat. What makes it all worse is if he came off that combo he had a backside dig wide open for 20. There are numerous examples of him basically staring down one combo and missing getting to his 3rd option (except when it’s outlet, he is solid there).

He is bailing from clean pockets way too early at times. Sometimes he won’t make a decision and holds the ball past the window so then he has to bail to make a play versus taking what the play gives him.

Now, that all said as a back up he’s killing it. This run is magical and he will get better with more game reps. I’d just be very leery about some of the wild statements about comparing him to Burrow or that teams will be tripping over themselves to get him. We are having a great team run here and we need to recognize a lot of the magic isn’t just Browning. The screens that went for 30+ yards, the new found running game, the YOLO balls that are being caught, and the defensive turnover…they are all factors here.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - The D.O.Z. - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 11:32 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Unless somehow you fleece a team for a 2nd or 3rd round you keep him IMO... his value next season is worth not getting something back.
Exactly how I see it too. We've clamored for a decent QB2 now for a couple years and now we have one. On the cheap too. Only trade him if you can fleece a team out of high-ish draft picks and even then, I'm second guessing the decision until I see what the new QB2 is capable of. Let's face it, with JB9 entrenched as the starter, the highest I could see us spending a pick on a QB2 would be 5th round or later. How many 5th or later guys at the QB position end up decent or better QB2s? I imagine the list is quite short.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - kalibengal - 12-17-2023

(12-16-2023, 07:04 PM)Whacked Wrote: That was nuts

He threw some dimes to Tee today too
*Some were dropped

Yes and on that Chuck Sizz bomb, he actually overthrew that ..I think? Or he was used to a faster WR like Chase that could snag that
Nevertheless, he seems to have enough arm to make these throws which was in question when he first started.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - bfine32 - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 11:33 AM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: There is a difference between filling in to start a few games and being a full time starter.  But you knew that already.  A backup QB is supposed to be able to come in and spot start here and there when QB1 cant go.  

Sure, you and others can assert there's no interest in having Browning as a starter given his current performance if you wish. I've seen the league and I disagree. 

But whatever his future; I hope it benefits both him and the Bengals

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - kalibengal - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 10:45 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: There are some pretty bad starting QBs in the NFL.  His Browning elite?  No, but he is more than capable and tons better than the teams with shitty starters have.  You don't think he would be a better solution in NE, Atlanta, Arizona, NY (both teams) just to name a few?

Hard to find a quality starting QB in the NFL, that's why there are only a handful of really good ones.  He could start somewhere and do well in the right situation.
Him on NYJ with that D would be a little scary TBH. Ill take Quinnen Williams in a trade
Jets seem to like our guys too, Uzomah and Lawson

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Nicomo Cosca - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 12:09 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Him on NYJ with that D would be a little scary TBH. Ill take Quinnen Williams in a trade
Jets seem to like our guys too, Uzomah and Lawson

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. They have Aaron Rodgers under contract for 2 more years.

(12-17-2023, 12:05 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes and on that Chuck Sizz bomb, he actually overthrew that ..I think? Or he was used to a faster WR like Chase that could snag that
Nevertheless, he seems to have enough arm to make these throws which was in question when he first started.

I originally pinned that one on Browning as an overthrow, but I saw plenty of people (including our old buddy Baby Hawk) say it was on Jones. He put it down as a rookie mistake.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Synric - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 11:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: There has been some magic here and if you are thinking short sighted about results, which makes sense, then he’s great. The reality though is he is doing a lot of half field reads and still missing a ton. Yesterday his INT was thrown on a curl/flat combo which is one of the most basic reads in any level of football. He had a dropper under his curl with a wide open flat. What makes it all worse is if he came off that combo he had a backside dig wide open for 20. There are numerous examples of him basically staring down one combo and missing getting to his 3rd option (except when it’s outlet, he is solid there).

He is bailing from clean pockets way too early at times. Sometimes he won’t make a decision and holds the ball past the window so then he has to bail to make a play versus taking what the play gives him.

Now, that all said as a back up he’s killing it. This run is magical and he will get better with more game reps. I’d just be very leery about some of the wild statements about comparing him to Burrow or that teams will be tripping over themselves to get him. We are having a great team run here and we need to recognize a lot of the magic isn’t just Browning. The screens that went for 30+ yards, the new found running game, the YOLO balls that are being caught, and the defensive turnover…they are all factors here.

Great Post. The Steelers and Vikings games stand out because the Bengals asked him to drop and read more. You could tell in those games he was a little more indecisive leading to late throws, sacks, and scrabbles. I don't think Zac and Brian helped Jake as much yesterday felt like the Offense was reacting to the defense instead of taking advantage of it. Of course they did try to spread the defense out once early to let Jake see and read the blitz he was late to Hudson it was a completion but a defender almost had the INT driving on it.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - The D.O.Z. - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 12:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. They have Aaron Rodgers under contract for 2 more years.
True but he's one ayahuasca trip away from never returning to the planet so...

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Essex Johnson - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 12:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I originally pinned that one on Browning as an overthrow, but I saw plenty of people (including our old buddy Baby Hawk) say it was on Jones. He put it down as a rookie mistake.

radio boys felt Jones slowed down or would be in a better position to make the play

(12-17-2023, 12:37 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: True but he's one ayahuasca trip away from never returning to the planet so...

He even has other players doing it now.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Essex Johnson - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 11:42 AM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: Lets face it, Browning has been pretty damn good filling in for an injured Burrow.  But Id be surprised if he becomes a solid full time starter here or anywhere else once this run is over.  There is now a lot more tape on this guy than there was 3 weeks ago and DC's are smart enough to be able to notice weaknesses in his game and start exploiting that. I think once that happens, youll see a lot more struggles from him.

If he is as good as some of you all think, then he will adjust and improve in those areas.  If he isnt, then he will just become another QB2 that had his 15 minutes
agree too early to put him on starting qb list but won't we can't ignore as the ex QBs on TV have stated, is the eye test, i was at the game yesterday and some of those throws for high level throws and what he is doing throwing on the move again is passing the eye text, i love no fumbles i believe yet by him in 4 plus games with 3 ints, impressive

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - TheLeonardLeap - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 12:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He even has other players doing it now.

Aaron Rodgers seems like he'd be an awful lot extra to deal with, but I am generally supportive of any adult willingly doing what they feel they need to for their mental health so long as it doesn't effect anyone else.

Also hard to argue against the fact that he did it and then proceeded to win back-to-back MVPs. Can only imagine what the Packers would have done those years if they took Tee Higgins instead of Jordan Love.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Bengalfan4life27c - 12-17-2023

Browning hasn't reached his ceiling yet because he doesn't have the game experience. I would already take him ober half the QB's in NFL. I would take him over fringe starters Like Geno Trubisky may even take him over Baker because his ceiling is higher

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - sandwedge - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 11:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: There has been some magic here and if you are thinking short sighted about results, which makes sense, then he’s great. The reality though is he is doing a lot of half field reads and still missing a ton. Yesterday his INT was thrown on a curl/flat combo which is one of the most basic reads in any level of football. He had a dropper under his curl with a wide open flat. What makes it all worse is if he came off that combo he had a backside dig wide open for 20. There are numerous examples of him basically staring down one combo and missing getting to his 3rd option (except when it’s outlet, he is solid there).

Hadn't seen you in awhile, always appreciate your input! I had a conversation yesterday after the game with a guy, he's a big Husky fan and loves Jake. He asked me what we are going to do this offseason about Burrow... I pretty much told him the same thing you said without all the technical stuff. Browning is not Burrow. While he is playing great, so is everyone else stepping up their game. This team rallies around each other and I believe that is why we are back in the playoff talks again. Not to mention Joe's salary

(12-17-2023, 12:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Aaron Rodgers seems like he'd be an awful lot extra to deal with, but I am generally supportive of any adult willingly doing what they feel they need to for their mental health so long as it doesn't effect anyone else.

Also hard to argue against the fact that he did it and then proceeded to win back-to-back MVPs. Can only imagine what the Packers would have done those years if they took Tee Higgins instead of Jordan Love.

Sounds like it helped Jordan Poyer, so yeah, more power to them.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Soonerpeace - 12-17-2023

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - QueenCity - 12-17-2023

Great post - all facts.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Soonerpeace - 12-17-2023

Excellent need you to post more

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Awful Llama - 12-17-2023

Another fun fact about Jake that was shared a little while ago on WLW: Since they began keeping such stats in 1950, Jake is the only QB in those 73 years to have passed for over 1,000 yards and completed 75% of his passes in his first four starts. The only one.