Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
What can you say other than, wow? The man stepped up and answered the call in a big way.

32/37 354 and a TD each passing and rushing for a 115.5 rating.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not bad for a guy who has been in 23 different transactions in his NFL career and has mostly been a third-stringer.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What can you say other than, wow?  The man stepped up and answered the call in a big way.

And under the pressure of a Monday Night Game and against a top team and with the players knowing that a victory was necessary if they had any chance to keep their hopes going. 

And it was the MNF away game victory for the Bengals since 1990. And the first prime-time away game win after 14 straight losses.

Lot of pressure and Browning didn't look at all fazed by it.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:27 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Not bad for a guy who has been in 23 different transactions in his NFL career and has mostly been a third-stringer.

He really is making the most of his opportunities in the NFL.  Like you said, he's bounced around a bit, but hung on and worked hard to earn his spot.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What can you say other than, wow?  The man stepped up and answered the call in a big way.

look at those 3rd and 4th down stats

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Very impressive nice to know we have somebody behind Burrow who can at least give us a chance. What a win on the road against a team going for the number one seed.

One play that impressed me more than any other was his boot leg to the left. He had to stop with a defender right in his face and threw a side arm pass which went for a nice gain. He could have panicked and taken a sack or thrown it straight in the dirt instead he made an incredibly nice play under pressure.

If ZT takes anything away from this game it's the following:

1- keep the playbook open and let Browning rip it down the field
2- scratch plays in general at or behind the line of scrimmage they just simply do not work with this team
3- no more trick plays
4- bring extra protection and move the pocket this is when Browning really seems to thrive
Reply/Quote

definately earned a raise
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:44 AM)pally Wrote: look at those 3rd and 4th down stats

System QB lol
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Probably should have started him week 1 instead of a 25% Burrow.
Reply/Quote
I'll be really curious to watch the breakdowns this week. Last week it seemed like we just asked Jake to run Burrows offense. This week seemed like alot more under center and Play action and it seemed to really help all involved. They're was a point early on with the at line passes to Chase and Troy or Buck was saying that was our plan to get the ball to Chase and let him make something happen and I was like this is gonna get ugly. But they really got something going. Outside of two of worst trick plays I've ever seen they almost couldn't stopped last night.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:44 AM)pally Wrote: look at those 3rd and 4th down stats

I came on here just now to look if anyone had his stats for 3rd and 4th down. It seemed a lot during the game. And with the game so close, they were all pressure throws, like the 3rd and 10 play to Tee Higgins and the 4th down one to Chase.
Reply/Quote
What a performance. Congrats to Jake.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:45 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Very impressive nice to know we have somebody behind Burrow who can at least give us a chance. What a win on the road against a team going for the number one seed.

One play that impressed me more than any other was his boot leg to the left. He had to stop with a defender right in his face and threw a side arm pass which went for a nice gain. He could have panicked and taken a sack or thrown it straight in the dirt instead he made an incredibly nice play under pressure.

2- scratch plays in general at or behind the line of scrimmage they just simply do not work with this team
3- no more trick plays
4- bring extra protection and move the pocket this is when Browning really seems to thrive
If Boyd makes a better throw, that's potentially 6 for Mixon.

The blocking setup was phenomenal and Boyd failed in execution.

Anyways as I wrote in the Game Ball thread, Jake has his Brandon Allen game (in a situation and everything, aside from opponent record, that was very similar to that Houston game), but let's hope he can do what BA didn't and stack a few together, instead of a one-off.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Probably should have started him week 1 instead of a 25% Burrow.

It's easy to say that in hindsight, but could you even imagine the emotional meltdown people would have had on here had that actually happened??

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What a difference a week makes. Happy for the kid.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:45 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Very impressive nice to know we have somebody behind Burrow who can at least give us a chance. What a win on the road against a team going for the number one seed.

3- no more trick plays

Yeah, his playaction fake and his rollout passes looked at least as good as Burrow's and maybe even better on the latter. The former is probably benefitted from the run game but his RPO fake feels better than Joe's. I also wonder if Burrow is checkout out of all run plays because he wants to pass lol...

Also nobody has tape on Jake. It's just like the bengals D against backups, letting them march up and down the field looking like Thomas Brady.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:15 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'll be really curious to watch the breakdowns this week. Last week it seemed like we just asked Jake to run Burrows offense. This week seemed like alot more under center and Play action and it seemed to really help all involved. They're was a point early on with the at line passes to Chase and Troy or Buck was saying that was our plan to get the ball to Chase and let him make something happen and I was like this is gonna get ugly. But they really got something going. Outside of two of worst trick plays I've ever seen they almost couldn't stopped last night.

I hope that they continue to mix it up like that, even when Joe Burrow is back at full strength.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Probably should have started him week 1 instead of a 25% Burrow.

I mean where there's smoke there's fire, that has to be 100% on Zac regardless of what Joey B says, true?

NFL knows how to create massive drama, they must employ psychologists. That last CLE and CINCY game is going to matter to both teams. That is Browning's truest test!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's easy to say that in hindsight, but could you even imagine the emotional meltdown people would have had on here had that actually happened??

After a few drives in week 1 it was clear Burrow was hurt and not getting it done, so i think we would have accepted it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's easy to say that in hindsight, but could you even imagine the emotional meltdown people would have had on here had that actually happened??

I guess Zac caters to the crowd Big Grin
Reply/Quote