Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
(12-05-2023, 10:15 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'll be really curious to watch the breakdowns this week. Last week it seemed like we just asked Jake to run Burrows offense. This week seemed like alot more under center and Play action and it seemed to really help all involved. They're was a point early on with the at line passes to Chase and Troy or Buck was saying that was our plan to get the ball to Chase and let him make something happen and I was like this is gonna get ugly. But they really got something going. Outside of two of worst trick plays I've ever seen they almost couldn't stopped last night.

I think that's exactly the case. They got to the tape, got their heads together (Jake included) and figured out what works best for him. I think they were going short early to get him some completions and get him in a rhythm. Then they turned him loose. Sink or swim kid, and boy did he swim.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:00 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well I do want to say let's pump the brakes a little on Brown. But I'm glad he shined with his opportunities and having a guy who can get some explosive runs with more frequency can certainly put some more stress on the defense. Definitely will be something exciting to watch going forward. 

I agree on pumping the brakes, but ......we now have the speed to get outside on toss plays. That's a pretty good improvement.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: WTH are you talking about? Baltimore has a way better defense than Pittsburgh, and Burrow threw 2 TD’s against them week 2.

.....and one on TNF

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:18 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: .....and one on TNF

I didn’t include that one because he wasn’t “hobbled” at that point.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's almost like someone should have pointed out Browning was a Heisman candidate and that maybe we should wait and see with a week or two of reps with the one's what he could do before writing him and the season off.... Ninja Ninja Ninja Hilarious
He's making peanuts and ZT didn't want to start him over a very damaged Burrow. We aren't the only ones in the dark about this sneaky greatness. Also we looked like crap last week, so let's hope that was the exception.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I didn’t include that one because he wasn’t “hobbled” at that point.

Ah, gotcha. Yes, we had a chance to win that Baltimore game, even with him playing gimped.

Reply/Quote
I only really have one negative note about the offense last night. I don't care if they are gonna throw a ton of screens to the outside it's a spread offense thing and Ja'Marr is really good with the ball in his hands but can we get some skill position players that will block? Those outside screens were losing yards or going for no gain because the blocking was horrendous. Boyd stood out the most watching live broadcast but they were all bad lol.

Jake Browning against the Steelers was indecisive and at a point you just wanted him to make a read and throw it right or wrong. Against the Jaguars it was a different story. Zac and Brian did a good job of working easy throws in for him too alot of screens and a few boots.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
FWIW, last night was a game for the ages. Browning played incredible. It’s hard to expect that every week. With that said, if browning can play within himself and in the system there is no reason to think we can’t sustain this offensive production. Brock purdy hasn’t had a game like that since taking over as a 7th round rookie last year. But Brock is surrounded with great offensive talent and a good system.

If yesterday was browning ceiling, which it likely isn’t m, which I’ll get to below,… hopefully his floor is raising at the same rate.

Think about this, yesterday was his first time with Tee. As they continue to get more comfortable Browning might see him in the end zone instead of Tyler Boyd for 7 yards. Chase brown had his first meaningful game and that helped open up everything else. This was just browning second start. He proved the moment isn’t too big.

On the other hand, maybe we caught the jags flat footed, and they watched what we saw last week and thought they would walk through us. The tape is out there now, and I don’t think anyone will take the bengals lightly.

I know the defense had its lumps yesterday with the younger secondary. But I was also impressed with how the bengals controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball. If the bengals defense can continue to contain the run and put teams in 3rd and medium to long, the almost int in the end zone, almost goal line fumble and beathard fumble will fall our way. It won’t be what we are used to…. I just think it will be easier to figure out the RUN d than it will the pass d. The players in the front 7 haven’t changed and have proven in previous years they are capable.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:32 PM)Synric Wrote: I only really have one negative note about the offense last night. I don't care if they are gonna throw a ton of screens to the outside it's a spread offense thing and Ja'Marr is really good with the ball in his hands but can we get some skill position players that will block? Those outside screens were losing yards or going for no gain because the blocking was horrendous. Boyd stood out the most watching live broadcast but they were all bad lol.

Boyd has been an absolute disaster in just about every way this season.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:32 PM)Synric Wrote: I only really have one negative note about the offense last night. I don't care if they are gonna throw a ton of screens to the outside it's a spread offense thing and Ja'Marr is really good with the ball in his hands but can we get some skill position players that will block? Those outside screens were losing yards or going for no gain because the blocking was horrendous. Boyd stood out the most watching live broadcast but they were all bad lol.

I hope it was just an off day for Boyd, but on at least 3 or 4 occasions he appeared (to me at least) to be about a half a frame behind everything else that was going on, including the play with his ill-fated throw.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He's making peanuts and ZT didn't want to start him over a very damaged Burrow.  We aren't the only ones in the dark about this sneaky greatness. Also we looked like crap last week, so let's hope that was the exception.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Right, but like I've been saying since the Burrow injury, give him sone reps with the ones and then see what he's made of. His past shows he's a baller. He may flame out, but people have been writing him off without ever giving him a chance.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:02 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: WTH are you talking about? Baltimore has a way better defense than Pittsburgh, and Burrow threw 2 TD’s against them week 2.

Burrow wasn't hurt that game until he reaggervated his injury later than a game. The comparison is between a healthy Browning vs a hurt Burrow, not a Healthy Browning vs a healthy Burrow.
Reply/Quote
The timeline of this is sort of peculiar.Prior to this game,the players and fans had pretty much thrown in the towel on this season.They were talking about next year’s draft picks,and if we should just go ahead and tank the rest of the season,and fire Zac Taylor.

For now at least,pretty much all of that is put on HOLD.

This is still a very good football team loaded with talent.We just needed good Quarterback play,and Jake Browning has shown that he is capable of providing that.

Let’s just sit back and enjoy the run.I have a good feeling about this.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: .....and one on TNF

Burrow wasn't dealing with a calf injury on TNF.

Are you guys trying to rewrite history? 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 12:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think that's exactly the case. They got to the tape, got their heads together (Jake included) and figured out what works best for him. I think they were going short early to get him some completions and get him in a rhythm. Then they turned him loose. Sink or swim kid, and boy did he swim.

Defenses now have tape as well, lets hope he can continue to play at a high level.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:44 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: You could argue that the Steelers game was proof of this too. 

Browning managed to do something that a hobbled Burrow couldn't do: Score a TD against a top AFC North defense.

Ravens switch conferences or are you back to trolling? 

Reply/Quote

Jake Browning against the Steelers was indecisive and at a point you just wanted him to make a read and throw it right or wrong. Against the Jaguars it was a different story. Zac and Brian did a good job of working easy throws in for him too alot of screens and a few boots.

This^,  Boyd has zero desire to block whatsoever.

I know you are aware but many complain about the horizontal passing, to those that are not aware, there are multiple reasons that include:

- Initial drives trying to feel out what the defenses are doing.
- Getting the QB in a groove.
- A big one, and this goes for the toss plays we hate with Mixon, but they slow down the pass rush.
- The possibility exists that if Boyd would block someone Chase can break a long one at anytime.
- We use it to draw the DB in and throw over them as we saw vs the 49ers.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 01:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Ravens switch conferences or are you back to trolling? 

Burrow was healthy for the majority of that game. The offense took a step forward until he reaggravated his injury late in the game. He wasn't hurt when he did that; and since we're comparing a healthy Browning to a hurt Burrow, i'm not sure why many of you are rewriting history to make a point that doesn't exist.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 01:28 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Burrow was healthy for the majority of that game. The offense took a step forward until he reaggravated his injury late in the game. He wasn't hurt when he did that; and since we're comparing a healthy Browning to a hurt Burrow, i'm not sure why many of you are rewriting history to make a point that doesn't exist.

You did use the word "hobbled", my bad.  That makes 2 non-trolling posts this morning, we weren't prepared for your new found optimism.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 01:18 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The timeline of this is sort of peculiar.Prior to this game,the players and fans had pretty much thrown in the towel on this season.They were talking about next year’s draft picks,and if we should just go ahead and tank the rest of the season,and fire Zac Taylor.

For now at least,pretty much all of that is put on HOLD.

This is still a very good football team loaded with talent.We just needed good Quarterback play,and Jake Browning has shown that he is capable of providing that.

Let’s just sit back and enjoy the run.I have a good feeling about this.

I didn't see ANY player throwing in the towel, and only certain fans. Some of us can handle adversity without folding.
Reply/Quote