Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
He had a heck of a game, and am happy for him. Going forward defensives will have more and more tape on him, so our coaching also needs to keep stepping it up to help Browning in situations. But I feel a lot better this morning about the backup QB going forward than before last night's game.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Browning has the offensive talent team, he just realized it and made the most out of it. The same goes for this team, they realized they are talented enough to win WITHOUT Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:30 AM)Nepa Wrote: And under the pressure of a Monday Night Game and against a top team and with the players knowing that a victory was necessary if they had any chance to keep their hopes going. 

And it was the MNF away game victory for the Bengals since 1990. And the first prime-time away game win after 14 straight losses.

Lot of pressure and Browning didn't look at all fazed by it.

Ummmm, what about the AFC Championship 2 years ago?
They won THAT on the road, in primetime.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:25 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hope that they continue to mix it up like that, even when Joe Burrow is back at full strength.

Yeah me to. I think it helped protection, it helped the running game and it probably helped the receivers out some as well. I get not wanting to have plays where Burrow only has a couple of reads but that has to be better than those terrible Chase at the line of scrimmage plays. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:33 AM)Millhouse Wrote: He had a heck of a game, and am happy for him. Going forward defensives will have more and more tape on him, so our coaching also needs to keep stepping it up to help Browning in situations. But I feel a lot better this morning about the backup QB going forward than before last night's game.

Yeah I did wonder about this. The Jags got a whole handful of things we haven't put on tape. Will be interesting if we can maintain the momentum into next week.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:35 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Ummmm, what about the AFC Championship 2 years ago?

That wasn't MNF
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:37 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I did wonder about this. The Jags got a whole handful of things we haven't put on tape. Will be interesting if we can maintain the momentum into next week.

Whatever they have on tape, they better stop Chase Brown. He is the key. He would have been the key for Burrow too!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:40 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That wasn't MNF

His post specified prime-time... not just MNF.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:35 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Ummmm, what about the AFC Championship 2 years ago?

No, we've gone over that in other threads. Primetime games are in the 8pm to 11pm slot Eastern Time. Those playoff wins fell outside of that time slot.

As noted by ESPN: "Chase and Browning menaced Jacksonville's defense as the Bengals snapped a 14-game road losing streak in prime-time games, the longest in NFL history, according to ESPN Stats & Information."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39045502/bengals-qb-jake-browning-finds-familiar-feeling-leading-ot-win-vs-jaguars
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:43 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Whatever they have on tape, they better stop Chase Brown. He is the key. He would have been the key for Burrow too!

Well I do want to say let's pump the brakes a little on Brown. But I'm glad he shined with his opportunities and having a guy who can get some explosive runs with more frequency can certainly put some more stress on the defense. Definitely will be something exciting to watch going forward. 
Reply/Quote
Props to Browning. May he become Foles 2.0 and win the Bengals a Super Bowl.

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:00 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well I do want to say let's pump the brakes a little on Brown. But I'm glad he shined with his opportunities and having a guy who can get some explosive runs with more frequency can certainly put some more stress on the defense. Definitely will be something exciting to watch going forward. 

Why 'pump the brakes' on Brown?  I would feed the hell out of the young back with fresh legs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why 'pump the brakes' on Brown?  I would feed the hell out of the young back with fresh legs.

Truth. The Brown and Mixon duo produced results.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:06 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Props to Browning. May he become Foles 2.0 and win the Bengals a Super Bowl.

Who Dey

My biggest concern is with the defense. Without Bates and Bell, they have looked pretty poor this year. They are the worst in yards allowed per game in the entire league. The absolute bottom. Teams that are successful with a backup QB usually rely on a strong defense. They really need to turn the defensive unit around.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What can you say other than, wow?  The man stepped up and answered the call in a big way.

32/37 354 and a TD each passing and rushing for a 115.5 rating.

I am eating some massive crow this morning
the "Jake Burrowning" era is here! flip the #9 to  #6 baby! 
Im still in shock seeing that performance last night and also, not alot of sacks given up to a good Jax D
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why 'pump the brakes' on Brown?  I would feed the hell out of the young back with fresh legs.

No I don't mean the team literally pump the brakes on him. I mean let's not as fans think he's the answer to all running game problems after 1 week. By all means he deserving of more carries. I'd also love him to be read on some of these play action throws. Would love to see that speed/running back skills catching the ball in some space.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:10 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Probably should have started him week 1 instead of a 25% Burrow.

You could argue that the Steelers game was proof of this too. 

Browning managed to do something that a hobbled Burrow couldn't do: Score a TD against a top AFC North defense.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:10 AM)Nepa Wrote: My biggest concern is with the defense. Without Bates and Bell, they have looked pretty poor this year. They are the worst in yards allowed per game in the entire league. The absolute bottom. Teams that are successful with a backup QB usually rely on a strong defense. They really need to turn the defensive unit around.

If there is a concern take away from that game the defense is certainly it. I don't know why but I enjoy watching this defense. Turner was running around making some solid tackles, Battle is starting to constantly flash and Dax really should've had a pick. I think some of the youngish guys on the line are starting to play a bit better. Awuzie is continuing to play better and Hilton doing Hilton things. I know there are some big concerns but there are also alot of positives. 
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:11 AM)kalibengal Wrote: I am eating some massive crow this morning
the "Jake Burrowning" era is here! flip the #9 to  #6 baby! 
Im still in shock seeing that performance last night and also, not alot of sacks given up to a good Jax D

It's almost like someone should have pointed out Browning was a Heisman candidate and that maybe we should wait and see with a week or two of reps with the one's what he could do before writing him and the season off.... Ninja Ninja Ninja Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 11:44 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: You could argue that the Steelers game was proof of this too. 

Browning managed to do something that a hobbled Burrow couldn't do: Score a TD against a top AFC North defense.

WTH are you talking about? Baltimore has a way better defense than Pittsburgh, and Burrow threw 2 TD’s against them week 2.

Reply/Quote