Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
(12-05-2023, 01:18 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: The timeline of this is sort of peculiar.Prior to this game,the players and fans had pretty much thrown in the towel on this season.They were talking about next year’s draft picks,and if we should just go ahead and tank the rest of the season,and fire Zac Taylor.

For now at least,pretty much all of that is put on HOLD.

This is still a very good football team loaded with talent.We just needed good Quarterback play,and Jake Browning has shown that he is capable of providing that.

Let’s just sit back and enjoy the run.I have a good feeling about this.

Lets not kid ourselves, Browning wasnt good in his first start.  No one was impressed or very optimistic.

And to be fair to most here, unlike Nately and Sled have been, the vast majority simply said that we would not be as upset over losses as much because the better draft pick was a silver lining.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:23 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If Boyd makes a better throw, that's potentially 6 for Mixon.

The blocking setup was phenomenal and Boyd failed in execution.

Anyways as I wrote in the Game Ball thread, Jake has his Brandon Allen game (in a situation and everything, aside from opponent record, that was very similar to that Houston game), but let's hope he can do what BA didn't and stack a few together, instead of a one-off.

the offense was moving the ball well enough a trick play wasn't needed.

keep those in the pocket for when you really need them
Reply/Quote
Are we still rooting for the team to tank for a draft pick?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
I could be totally off with this take, but during the 1st quarter I kept think that Taylor is setting the Jaguars up to think that with Jake the Bengals could only throw horizontal passes and run the ball. Then at some point he would unload down the field. I mean Browning set passing records in college.

Now, the analyst last night thought that Zac was just getting Browning acclimated, building his confidence with short passes. And maybe so.

But certainly Taylor knew that Browning was capable of a lot more than those short passes that dominated the first drive. If it was actually a longer-term strategy to have the Jaguars expect only short passes, the strategy certainly worked. I'm also sure that Taylor would never actually state that was what he was doing. So, I guess we'll never know. But that was the thought that dominated me in the beginning, as the Jaguars crowded the box.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 05:25 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Are we still rooting for the team to tank for a draft pick?

Some might be, but most of us are not. Losing is bad for morale, creates a negative culture.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:45 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: Very impressive nice to know we have somebody behind Burrow who can at least give us a chance. What a win on the road against a team going for the number one seed.

One play that impressed me more than any other was his boot leg to the left. He had to stop with a defender right in his face and threw a side arm pass which went for a nice gain. He could have panicked and taken a sack or thrown it straight in the dirt instead he made an incredibly nice play under pressure.

If ZT takes anything away from this game it's the following:

1- keep the playbook open and let Browning rip it down the field
2- scratch plays in general at or behind the line of scrimmage they just simply do not work with this team
3- no more trick plays
4- bring extra protection and move the pocket this is when Browning really seems to thrive

This has been killing us even when Burrow was at QB our coach is just too stubborn to admit these plays hurt us.
Reply/Quote
If Browning is relatively successful and we go on a Nic Foles type of run. Do we trade him for a 2nd or is he too valuable with Joe now being IR ed 50 percent of his NFL seasons.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 01:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This^,  Boyd has zero desire to block whatsoever.

I know you are aware but many complain about the horizontal passing, to those that are not aware, there are multiple reasons that include:

- Initial drives trying to feel out what the defenses are doing.
- Getting the QB in a groove.
- A big one, and this goes for the toss plays we hate with Mixon, but they slow down the pass rush.
- The possibility exists that if Boyd would block someone Chase can break a long one at anytime.
- We use it to draw the DB in and throw over them as we saw vs the 49ers.

Boyd just does not seem to be focused maybe thinking about what happens next year. It would be nice to see Sizzle get his shot.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What can you say other than, wow?  The man stepped up and answered the call in a big way.

32/37 354 and a TD each passing and rushing for a 115.5 rating.

Dude played pretty great and the Receivers did a great job catching the ball, he had that one pass behind Chase that Chase 
bailed him out on but other than that, Browning was accurate all night.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Dude played pretty great and the Receivers did a great job catching the ball, he had that one pass behind Chase that Chase 
bailed him out on but other than that, Browning was accurate all night.

Chase a dropped a perfect ball too so they are even.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Chase a dropped a perfect ball too so they are even.

Ahh, forgot about the Chase drop. Good call.
Reply/Quote
Browning is currently on a 75.6% completion rate, on an average 8.3 yards per attempt, with 3 TDs and 1 solitary INT.

For, let's be real, a guy who was an absolute no-name really before we have to put him in as starter... that's about as good a stat line as we could really have hoped. Small sample size yes, but I don't think anyone would've predicted that stat line two weeks ago.

He has a real tough opening coming into that Ravens game, and I didn't think he embarrassed himself at all. The Steelers game was not phenomenal, but the pick was the only REALLY awful blight on his game. It was an otherwise limited performance, but he's a limited QB. The Jags performance was really good though, and everything you could feasibly ask of him... have to give Zac Taylor a ton of credit for putting him in a position to succeed for most of the night too.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 05:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some might be, but most of us are not. Losing is bad for morale, creates a negative culture.

I agree.  I simply can't root for my team to lose. In the big picture of things, it's not worth a draft pick.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:28 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Browning is currently on a 75.6% completion rate, on an average 8.3 yards per attempt, with 3 TDs and 1 solitary INT.

For, let's be real, a guy who was an absolute no-name really before we have to put him in as starter... that's about as good a stat line as we could really have hoped. Small sample size yes, but I don't think anyone would've predicted that stat line two weeks ago.

He has a real tough opening coming into that Ravens game, and I didn't think he embarrassed himself at all. The Steelers game was not phenomenal, but the pick was the only REALLY awful blight on his game. It was an otherwise limited performance, but he's a limited QB. The Jags performance was really good though, and everything you could feasibly ask of him... have to give Zac Taylor a ton of credit for putting him in a position to succeed for most of the night too.

Getting the running game going really helped Browning as well. That took pressure off of him, the Defense couldn't just pin 
their ears back and go after him all night like the stealers could. Good on Zac realizing that running the ball helps.
Reply/Quote
The fact that he bet on himself is inspiring many could have given up the dream by now. He doubled and tripled down on himself by spending his own money and time getting better at his craft.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 06:39 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The fact that he bet on himself is inspiring many could have given up the dream by now. He doubled and tripled down on himself by spending his own money and time getting better at his craft.

It is also impressive how Jake doesn't have a baseball background and has had to learn to make angle throws all by himself.

This is something Burrow you would think would be better at honestly as he does play baseball. Would like to see Burrow work 
on angle throws in the Offseason after his wrist is healed up to get a little Mahomes to him. Would be a nice weapon to add to 
his game.
Reply/Quote
STUNNED!!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 09:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What can you say other than, wow?  The man stepped up and answered the call in a big way.

32/37 354 and a TD each passing and rushing for a 115.5 rating.

This game isn't close if Evan eats one more wheatie, they don't do that terrible WR throw, and Dax catches that INT.

They need to let Browning do what he did this game.  Keep being aggressive.  Run the ball and make sure to target Ja'Marr heavily.  

Who would have thought that the undrafted QB that threw balls to our former #10 overall pick (John Ross) ends up having a near perfect game in his second start against a damn good defense.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 07:00 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This game isn't close if Evan eats one more wheatie, they don't do that terrible WR throw, and Dax catches that INT.

They need to let Browning do what he did this game.  Keep being aggressive.  Run the ball and make sure to target Ja'Marr heavily.  

Who would have thought that the undrafted QB that threw balls to our former #10 overall pick (John Ross) ends up having a near perfect game in his second start against a damn good defense.  

That is the crazy part, so much went wrong and we still won against a top team in their house on Monday Night Football.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 10:23 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: If Boyd makes a better throw, that's potentially 6 for Mixon.

The blocking setup was phenomenal and Boyd failed in execution.

Anyways as I wrote in the Game Ball thread, Jake has his Brandon Allen game (in a situation and everything, aside from opponent record, that was very similar to that Houston game), but let's hope he can do what BA didn't and stack a few together, instead of a one-off.

That's what I wonder??

I'm elated that Browning had a great game, and happy for the team. But I can't help but wonder, was this just a guy having his day in the sun? Or did he cross the bridge and now can be a reliable backup that can win a game here and there? Or even more?

At least now there's a reason to watch the games.
Reply/Quote