Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
(12-11-2023, 01:03 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Zappe (backup) just beat Pitt, in Pitt… with a much worse roster (patriots).

Don’t be shocked if the bengals are slight favorites ahead of that game.

Divisional games are different. Plus Tomlin is known for puzzling losses to much inferior opponents

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Divisional games are different. Plus Tomlin is known for puzzling losses to much inferior opponents

Yep, Tomlin and Marv are both known for playing down to inferior opponents.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 12:35 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Bengals have to go 3-1 in order to make the playoffs. Vikings game seems like a W

Those other 3? Woof. Those are rough games for a back up

I'm aware it's a long shot.  4 tough games left.  All with teams vying for a playoff spot or for a better seed.

Even if we go 3-1 there's no guarantee as we still lose a lot of tie breaker senerios.

I'm much more hopeful now though then I was following the lose to the Steelers.

I think this team has a chance against anyone and I still have something to cheer for.

At least for one more week.  After the Vikings week either the playoffs picture will be a little clearer or just as messy.

I just want to hold out optimism for as long as it's available.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, Tomlin and Marv are both known for playing down to inferior opponents.

The argument could also be made that the 2023 Bengals have lost some games that they should have won.  The first game with Baltimore, the embarrassment at Tennessee, the Titans game and the Steelers game are all games where I felt the Bengals could have and should have won because I felt like they had better talent on the field. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The argument could also be made that the 2023 Bengals have lost some games that they should have won.  The first game with Baltimore, the embarrassment at Tennessee, the Titans game and the Steelers game are all games where I felt the Bengals could have and should have won because I felt like they had better talent on the field. 

The bengals generally lost to good teams this year outside of Tennessee. Tomlin loses to really bad teams regularly

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:03 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Zappe (backup) just beat Pitt, in Pitt… with a much worse roster (patriots).

Don’t be shocked if the bengals are slight favorites ahead of that game.

The one point about the Patriots is they have a great run defense. It was head-scratching that the Steelers kept trying to run the ball against them. They ran 28 times for an average of 2.9/carry. And that was because of the QB running effectively. Najee had 12 carries for 2.4 yards/carry and Warren 7 carries for 1.6 yards/carry. They just kept running against the number 3 defense against the run.

The Steelers had an absolute terrible game plan against the Patriots and never adjusted it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 04:06 PM)Nepa Wrote: The one point about the Patriots is they have a great run defense. It was head-scratching that the Steelers kept trying to run the ball against them. They ran 28 times for an average of 2.9/carry. And that was because of the QB running effectively. Najee had 12 carries for 2.4 yards/carry and Warren 7 carries for 1.6 yards/carry. They just kept running against the number 3 defense against the run.

The Steelers had an absolute terrible game plan against the Patriots and never adjusted it. 

Well, that just shows how bad the Steelers are and how little confidence they have in trubisky.
Reply/Quote
Poor guy cant even be greatest JB QB in Bengals history or even the greatest Browning in Cincinnati history
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 04:52 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Poor guy cant even be greatest JB QB in Bengals history or even the greatest Browning in Cincinnati history

Yeah, every time I hear his name I think of Tom Browning and I have a hard time getting past it.

Reply/Quote
Browning has far exceeded my expectations. He deserves the praise. It did helped yesterday when he threw a 10 yard pass to Chase Brown and he took it to the house.

We need our defense to help us win the last 4 games. Yesterday they were amazing against the run, Colts are a great running team but we stone walled them.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 04:52 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Poor guy cant even be greatest JB QB in Bengals history or even the greatest Browning in Cincinnati history

He also has to compete with other Cincinnati JBs such as Johnny Bench, James Brooks, and Jim Breech.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 10:05 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: He also have to compete with other Cincinnati JBs such as Johnny Bench, James Brooks, and Jim Breech.

And old JB who Marvin always kept around. Did he die, or just get kicked out of the clubhouse?
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 10:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And old JB who Marvin always kept around. Did he die, or just get kicked out of the clubhouse?

He goes back to Paul Brown, way before Marvin. He couldn’t be around during the pandemic, and I don’t think he ever returned afterwards (maybe “retired” due to age?). The last I remember on him was him being ruler of the Jungle a couple years ago.

Reply/Quote
Poor Mccarron He didnt even add to his passing yardage total for the team he lost a yard passing
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The argument could also be made that the 2023 Bengals have lost some games that they should have won.  The first game with Baltimore, the embarrassment at Tennessee, the Titans game and the Steelers game are all games where I felt the Bengals could have and should have won because I felt like they had better talent on the field. 

Still thought they should of beat the Texans too, even if they are a good team. Dang Boyd drop. Whatever

The stealers losing to the Pats though is pretty terrible though, bad gameplan by them as Nepa here shows.

(12-11-2023, 04:06 PM)Nepa Wrote: The one point about the Patriots is they have a great run defense. It was head-scratching that the Steelers kept trying to run the ball against them. They ran 28 times for an average of 2.9/carry. And that was because of the QB running effectively. Najee had 12 carries for 2.4 yards/carry and Warren 7 carries for 1.6 yards/carry. They just kept running against the number 3 defense against the run.

Guess they have no confidence in the Biscuit. I get it. So happy we have looked much better against the run the last few games.

We can beat the stealers, just have to concentrate on these Vikings first and slowing down their run game, JJ and the TE.

Some WR I don't know might go off on us, but that is okay as long as it isn't the RB's, JJ or their TE.

(12-11-2023, 06:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Browning has far exceeded my expectations. He deserves the praise. It did helped yesterday when he threw a 10 yard pass to Chase Brown and he took it to the house.

We need our defense to help us win the last 4 games. Yesterday they were amazing against the run, Colts are a great running team but we stone walled them.

Yes, the Defense knows they need to step up big time. You can tell against the Colts they knew it. It is their time.

The Defense is a huge reason for our late and post season success over the last couple of years.
Reply/Quote
The coaches have adjusted the offense well around Browning's skill set, I feel.

He's not a cannon arm, but he can move some and get completions in the short and intermediate routes with some occasional deep shots.
He's performed very well over the past month since he's been forced to come in.
Browning is on a 1-year $750k contract, so he could have some potential suitors this offseason. Might drive up that price.

If I was a franchise owner, I wouldn't be looking to make him the starter, but he could become a Minshew or Foles as a good long-term backup.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2023, 05:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The coaches have adjusted the offense well around Browning's skill set, I feel.

He's not a cannon arm, but he can move some and get completions in the short and intermediate routes with some occasional deep shots.
He's performed very well over the past month since he's been forced to come in.
Browning is on a 1-year $750k contract, so he could have some potential suitors this offseason. Might drive up that price.

If I was a franchise owner, I wouldn't be looking to make him the starter, but he could become a Minshew or Foles as a good long-term backup.

Browning will be an exclusive rights free agent. If the Bengals apply a tender on him, he will not be able to negotiate with anyone and Cincinnati can re-sign him for league minimum. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 01:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, Tomlin and Marv are both known for playing down to inferior opponents.

If that was the case, he would not have the 11th highest winning percentage, all teams have that bad losses but very good to great coaches have fewer of them, if Tomlin was losing that often to bad teams, very hard to explain 11th all time winning percentage.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2023, 05:58 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Browning will be an exclusive rights free agent. If the Bengals apply a tender on him, he will not be able to negotiate with anyone and Cincinnati can re-sign him for league minimum. 

Oh. Good call.
I missed the "ERFA" designation on Spotrac.
I thought he was UFA since he came into the league in 2019 and had been with Vikings prior to Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote