Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
(12-13-2023, 06:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: If that was the case, he would not have the 11th highest winning percentage, all teams have that bad losses but very good to great coaches have fewer of them, if Tomlin was losing that often to bad teams, very hard to explain 11th all time winning percentage.

Yeah I was gonna say I think that's more of a recent development. I don't remember them losing to bad teams with Roethlisberger. They just haven't been the same since his last bad year and since he left. Which is good to see.
We weren't running the offense we are now when we played them last so I would expect a different result. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 06:39 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Browning has far exceeded my expectations. He deserves the praise. It did helped yesterday when he threw a 10 yard pass to Chase Brown and he took it to the house.

We need our defense to help us win the last 4 games. Yesterday they were amazing against the run, Colts are a great running team but we stone walled them.

Certainly don't want to take credit away from the defense they did play a great game. But the Colts didn't have Taylor and while Moss was on a hot streak earlier in the year he hasn't been as good since Taylor came back and got going. Big surprise was the Colts won the week before in part to special teams with 2 blocked punts but that was a weakness. Just saying that I wonder if that played a part in Robbins bad game worrying about pressure?
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
(12-13-2023, 06:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Oh. Good call.
I missed the "ERFA" designation on Spotrac.
I thought he was UFA since he came into the league in 2019 and had been with Vikings prior to Bengals.

Yeah, he would normally be a UFA but he doesn’t have enough accrued seasons. He’s been a practice squad guy the entire time until this season IIRC. That is why he is an ERFA instead. He has to have 6+ games for a season to be accrued.
Reply/Quote
Random musing: Getting to have some fun watching Browning the last couple of games reminded me that I'm first and foremost a Bengals fan more so than the fan of an individual player. Burrow has elevated my hope that the organization can win a Super Bowl, but I liked this team before him and will continue to root for the Bengals when his playing days end.

Who Dey
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
FlemLo chiming in about backups

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2023, 06:42 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah I was gonna say I think that's more of a recent development. I don't remember them losing to bad teams with Roethlisberger. They just haven't been the same since his last bad year and since he left. Which is good to see.
We weren't running the offense we are now when we played them last so I would expect a different result. 

They haven't been winning as much since the league cracked down on helmet to helmet hits either.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Decent chance if Browning balls out again this week He may earn himself a future starting QB job and the Bengals some draft compensation. If he has good to great game it's not far fetched the Vikings would offer us a 2nd rounder for Browning.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 11:54 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Decent chance if Browning balls out again this week He may earn himself a future starting QB job and the Bengals some draft compensation. If he has good to great game it's not far fetched the Vikings would offer us a 2nd rounder for Browning.

But the Bengals may also be just the right fit for Browning. I remember when Trevor Siemian was all the rage. 7th round draft pick, he burst upon the scene in 2016, including a 132 QB rating and AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his first road game. He made the Pro Bowl that year as an alternate. He was the next big thing. Head coach changed next year and by mid-season he was replaced. Traded and continued to decline. Signed with a myriad other teams for his potential and never again reached those heights of that first year.

I saw him play a few weeks ago with the New York Jets and he was terrible.

Yes, if he continues as he is doing (and Siemian was good his entire first year starting -- knock on wood with Browning), Browning will have suitors. But this could also  be a perfect setup for him as it is right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 12:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: But the Bengals may also be just the right fit for Browning. I remember when Trevor Siemian was all the rage. 7th round draft pick, he burst upon the scene in 2016, including a 132 QB rating and AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his first road game. He made the Pro Bowl that year as an alternate. He was the next big thing. Head coach changed next year and by mid-season he was replaced. Traded and continued to decline. Signed with a myriad other teams for his potential and never again reached those heights of that first year.

Yes, if he continues as he is doing (and Siemian was good his entire first year starting -- knock on wood with Browning), Browning will have suitors. But this could also  be a perfect setup for him as it is right now.

I don't see how it is, considering our coaches are trash and need fired.  Hilarious

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 12:47 PM)Nepa Wrote: But the Bengals may also be just the right fit for Browning. I remember when Trevor Siemian was all the rage. 7th round draft pick, he burst upon the scene in 2016, including a 132 QB rating and AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his first road game. He made the Pro Bowl that year as an alternate. He was the next big thing. Head coach changed next year and by mid-season he was replaced. Traded and continued to decline. Signed with a myriad other teams for his potential and never again reached those heights of that first year.

Broncos went 8-8 that year coming off a SB win. They were winning in spite of Siemian not because of.  They still had Von Miller and Bradley Chubb on the Dline  Along with D Thomas Decker and Welker at WR Before Manning came around roster was good enough to win a playoff game with Tim Tebow at QB. Similar Comp to Siemian would be our own current backup AJ Mccarron
Reply/Quote
He has surpassed everyone's expectations and silenced the JN haters.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 02:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Broncos went 8-8 that year coming off a SB win. They were winning in spite of Siemian not because of.  They still had Von Miller and Bradley Chubb on the Dline  Along with D Thomas Decker and Welker at WR Before Manning came around roster was good enough to win a playoff game with Tim Tebow at QB. Similar Comp to Siemian would be our own current backup AJ Mccarron

Yeah, Siemian had one of the lowest passer ratings in the NFL that year at 84. He wasn’t very good.
Reply/Quote
Joey WHO?!?!?  In Jake we trust!
Don't mock kids who believe in Santa, while adults still believe in Fox News.  

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 09:33 PM)M.W. Wrote: He has surpassed everyone's expectations and silenced the JN haters.

He sure has. I had zero faith in his abilities.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 10:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: They haven't been winning as much since the league cracked down on helmet to helmet hits either.

Yep when cheap shots became frowned upon the steelers really didn't have a back up plan. Guess it had worked for them so long they never expected to need a new plan.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2023, 11:54 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Decent chance if Browning balls out again this week He may earn himself a future starting QB job and the Bengals some draft compensation. If he has good to great game it's not far fetched the Vikings would offer us a 2nd rounder for Browning.

If Browning gets us to the playoffs, you can guarantee the Bengals will keep him next year. I would hope they would give him some sort of pay raise, but they won’t hurt the team. With Burrow constantly not having a full training camp, it’d be wise to keep a backup they trust. Now he could fall on his face and none of this would matter, but if he keeps balling out, he’s not going anywhere next year unless someone gives up astronomical resources.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 10:15 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If Browning gets us to the playoffs, you can guarantee the Bengals will keep him next year. I would hope they would give him some sort of pay raise, but they won’t hurt the team. With Burrow constantly not having a full training camp, it’d be wise to keep a backup they trust. Now he could fall on his face and none of this would matter, but if he keeps balling out, he’s not going anywhere next year unless someone gives up astronomical resources.

You will only be getting 1 more season it would be malpractice to not get compensation for him at that point. Not only that you are doing a disservice to Browning if he has long term aspiration to be a starting QB. Regardless of how Browning does we are committed to Burrow long term
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 10:15 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If Browning gets us to the playoffs, you can guarantee the Bengals will keep him next year. I would hope they would give him some sort of pay raise, but they won’t hurt the team. With Burrow constantly not having a full training camp, it’d be wise to keep a backup they trust. Now he could fall on his face and none of this would matter, but if he keeps balling out, he’s not going anywhere next year unless someone gives up astronomical resources.

Might be unfair to Browning to not let him have a chance somewhere else and teams DO give up astronomical amounts for a 
good starting QB in the NFL.

Would I like to keep Browning? Of course, but he might want to start, Burrow is our starting QB no matter how great Browning
plays.

(12-15-2023, 12:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: You will only be getting 1 more season it would be malpractice to not get compensation for him at that point. Not only that you are doing a disservice to Browning if he has long term aspiration to be a starting QB. Regardless of how Browning does we are committed to Burrow long term

Agree. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 12:20 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: You will only be getting 1 more season it would be malpractice to not get compensation for him at that point. Not only that you are doing a disservice to Browning if he has long term aspiration to be a starting QB. Regardless of how Browning does we are committed to Burrow long term

That’s like saying it was a disservice to tag Bates because we were keeping him from getting a long term huge deal. The team will do what’s best for the team, and having a legit back up, even for one year is what’s best for them, unless they get something astronomical. Maybe that’s a 2nd, but I’m not sure.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2023, 02:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Might be unfair to Browning to not let him have a chance somewhere else and teams DO give up astronomical amounts for a 
good starting QB in the NFL.

Would I like to keep Browning? Of course, but he might want to start, Burrow is our starting QB no matter how great Browning
plays.

Agree. ThumbsUp

We all know he’s not going to start over Burrow, but having a legit backup is vital with Burrows inability to stay 100% healthy (not saying it’s his fault, it’s just the reality). They aren’t going to let Browning go without compensation whether it’s fair or unfair. Teams will always do what they think is best for them.
Reply/Quote