Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase (/Thread-Report-Burrow-pushing-for-Bengals-to-draft-Chase)

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-29-2021

FWIW, I seriously doubt Burrow is pushing them to take Chase.

It would have been extremely negligent for the Bengals to get all the intel the could on Chase. Or any potential draft pick or FA target. If we have coaches who coachem them or players who played with them, or even against them, we have to ask for opinions.

We asked. Joe gave his opinion. Which no doubt is stellar because, you know, Chase is awesome. But that is not the same thing as pushing for Chase over Sewell.

It is similar to asking a coach about the group he has. He is not going to publicly blast his own guys. That is how you lose the locker room. He is always confident in the group he has & that they can get the job done.

Just look at Frank Vogel, coach of the LA Lakers. Last week he was against any deals at the deadline because he was confident in his group. Now he is "thrilled" they signed Andre Drummond. So was he not confident in the other centers?

Plus, a QB is never going to dis his own OL. I mean, one guy takes a play off as payback and you could be done. If Joe pushes for Sewell where people can hear, how does that make Jonah feel? Or Spain? Or XSF? Even if it is not a conscious thing, you don't want your OL to be less than enthusiastic about the guy they are protecting. Gotta be Band of Brothers.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Hammerstripes - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Because we've all been fans way too long to believe this will actually be what they do and after watching them ignore the line completely last season, it is a huge concern.

My honest belief of what happens.

Pick 5 - We take Chase to make Burrow happy and get the fans all excited, gotta sell tickets.

Round 2 - There is a run at the end of 1 into start of round 2 on O-line, especially with the Jets and Jags both getting rookie QBs, and we decide the value isn't there and take an edge rusher or... we reach for a 3rd round prospect like we did with Sample.

Round 3 - Maybe now, they actually take the G from Illinois or Tennessee.

Round 4 - LB/TE/WR

Round 5 - See above but remove what was taken.

Round 6 (a) - Developmental QB for 3rd string

Round 6 (b) - Random CB

Round 7 - K

Why take the chance on maybe getting your guy in round 2 for the line when you absolutely know you can get a guy that is better then anyone you have in round one?

Fans will roast the team for doing this.  Nothing like ignoring a premier prospect at a position of huge need.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Murdock2420 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 06:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Fans will roast the team for doing this.  Nothing like ignoring a premier prospect at a position of huge need.

Have you seen this board??

I'd say half the people on here would be completely happy with the Bengals passing on Sewell and taking Chase.

So, half the fans here would be happy... have to guess it would translate close to that outside of the board.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - AQIndianHill - 03-29-2021

It's almost like our fans are as short-sided and ignorant as the Brown Family.

A match made in Historical Franchise Ineptitude heaven. Let's draft another WR! 'I trust Tobin and the Bengals to nail this draft!'

Meanwhile, the stadium lease is nearing, they have 4 more years of Burrow, and Boyd/Higgins/Mixon already.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - WhodeyRay - 03-29-2021

What I find funny is the last few weeks of the season we all on here called for a draft of all lineman. Either side of the ball just start winning in the trenches. We also said we need linemen heavy in free agency. Free agency has past and 1 tackle signed. Now the draft is coming up and people are jumping on the sexy picks of skill positions and forgot about the fact we needed 4 of the 5 lineman upgraded. Now we need 3 this year and Reiff is on a 1 year deal. We need to at least double dip on oline and a d end in the first 4 rounds. Lineman take atleast 1 year to get nfl strong. We can get a vet to fill wr3 this year and look to the draft next year. Build the foundation before you put fancy windows in or your nice new oled tv will get smashed again when it collapses.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - AQIndianHill - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 07:05 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: What I find funny is the last few weeks of the season we all on here called for a draft of all lineman. Either side of the ball just start winning in the trenches. We also said we need linemen heavy in free agency. Free agency has past and 1 tackle signed. Now the draft is coming up and people are jumping on the sexy picks of skill positions and forgot about the fact we needed 4 of the 5 lineman upgraded. Now we need 3 this year and Reiff is on a 1 year deal. We need to at least double dip on oline and a d end in the first 4 rounds. Lineman take atleast 1 year to get nfl strong. We can get a vet to fill wr3 this year and look to the draft next year. Build the foundation before you put fancy windows in or your nice new oled tv will get smashed again when it collapses.

100% 

We gave up the 6th most sacks in the NFL last year

Burrow had 2.3 Seconds per pass attempt, one of the lowest in the NFL

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/advanced.htm

You have to Fix the Line.  And sorry, Reilly Reiff is not the panacea to a really bad line. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Earendil - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 06:13 PM)AQIndianHill Wrote: The most incompetent Franchise in NFL history

Fresh off another laughingstock season where their Franchise QB was decimated due to poor O line

Has the chance to address and Solidify O line with a hell of a player in Sewell....

But, wants a shiny new WR; and to march a patch work, low investment OLine back out for 2021 vs a division of great pass rushers.

And the lemming fans on here 'I Trust them to make the right decision'. LOL - Based on what?  

This team is a ***** joke.  We are call Bungles due to 25+ years of proof

Go back to the Browns board you crawled out from under.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Earendil - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 06:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Have you seen this board??

I'd say half the people on here would be completely happy with the Bengals passing on Sewell and taking Chase.

So, half the fans here would be happy... have to guess it would translate close to that outside of the board.

Regardless of who they take, one half of the board is going to be pissed off.  The only surprise left is which half it will be.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Hammerstripes - 03-29-2021

I would be happy if they went Sewell and OG in round 2. This team really hasn't addressed the line much at all.

For the most part, you don't draft for the following year, you look at where your team will be a couple years in the future. As of now, what do we have? Jonah and then what? I don't think you can look at Rieff much past next year or the following year. The interior of the line is still way below average.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - WVUHomer - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 06:50 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: FWIW, I seriously doubt Burrow is pushing them to take Chase.

It would have been extremely negligent for the Bengals to get all the intel the could on Chase. Or any potential draft pick or FA target. If we have coaches who coachem them or players who played with them, or even against them, we have to ask for opinions.

We asked. Joe gave his opinion. Which no doubt is stellar because, you know, Chase is awesome. But that is not the same thing as pushing for Chase over Sewell.

It is similar to asking a coach about the group he has. He is not going to publicly blast his own guys. That is how you lose the locker room. He is always confident in the group he has & that they can get the job done.

Just look at Frank Vogel, coach of the LA Lakers. Last week he was against any deals at the deadline because he was confident in his group. Now he is "thrilled" they signed Andre Drummond. So was he not confident in the other centers?

Plus, a QB is never going to dis his own OL. I mean, one guy takes a play off as payback and you could be done. If Joe pushes for Sewell where people can hear, how does that make Jonah feel? Or Spain? Or XSF? Even if it is not a conscious thing, you don't want your OL to be less than enthusiastic about the guy they are protecting. Gotta be Band of Brothers.
Not to be a contradicting person but hasn't Russell Wilson done just that? Said (paraphrasing of course as I'm using Pat McAfee as a source) "my OL is full of scrubs, fix it or trade me"?

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 07:25 PM)Earendil Wrote: Regardless of who they take, one half of the board is going to be pissed off.  The only surprise left is which half it will be.

I seriously doubt anyone would be pissed about taking Sewell.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 07:27 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Not to be a contradicting person but hasn't Russell Wilson done just that? Said (paraphrasing of course as I'm using Pat McAfee as a source) "my OL is full of scrubs, fix it or trade me"?

I'd argue that is a guy trying to force his way out. Or supremely confident that the FO grants his request and he does not have to rely on the guys he dissed to protect him.

Good coaches. Good leaders. Good QBs. Don't put their own guys on blast.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Murdock2420 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 07:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I seriously doubt anyone would be pissed about taking Sewell.

There is actually 4 or 5 posters on here that would be upset... and that is kind of sad.

(03-29-2021, 06:49 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I would credit that to the fact that there was no true consensus last year.  You ask 5 different people and you get 5 different rankings.

Amem. He keeps using that Thomas pick as a reason not to take Sewell. The Giants reached for Thomas. Wirfs was mostly #1. Becton the most upside. Willis in between.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 07:05 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: What I find funny is the last few weeks of the season we all on here called for a draft of all lineman. Either side of the ball just start winning in the trenches. We also said we need linemen heavy in free agency. Free agency has past and 1 tackle signed. Now the draft is coming up and people are jumping on the sexy picks of skill positions and forgot about the fact we needed 4 of the 5 lineman upgraded. Now we need 3 this year and Reiff is on a 1 year deal. We need to at least double dip on oline and a d end in the first 4 rounds. Lineman take atleast 1 year to get nfl strong. We can get a vet to fill wr3 this year and look to the draft next year. Build the foundation before you put fancy windows in or your nice new oled tv will get smashed again when it collapses.

We definitely need to add to the O-line, no one is saying anything different Ray. I would be more than happy with Sewell.

But he didn't even play last year and we have seen O-lineman bust and should know it could happen with Sewell.

We should also know how deep the Draft is at what positions, what is nice is it is very deep at OT and even has some very good 
interior O-lineman that should be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. It is the year of 1 year deals for FA's, if Reiff plays well which
I believe he will we probably re-sign him. To not be open to anything besides Sewell I find to be ignorant especially with players like
Pitts who could be the best pass catching prospect to ever come out and Chase who was Burrow's fave target at LSU.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 07:59 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There is actually 4 or 5 posters on here that would be upset... and that is kind of sad.

Like who? I haven’t seen anyone say it’d be a bad pick. I know there’s guy’s like Racer who is pushing hard for Chase or impactplaya for Pitts, but again, I think them being “pissed” is a stretch. Anyone should be able to get behind taking Sewell.

(03-29-2021, 08:00 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Amem. He keeps using that Thomas pick as a reason not to take Sewell. The Giants reached for Thomas. Wirfs was mostly #1. Becton the most upside. Willis in between.

What in the holy hell are you talking about? That’s literally the first time I’ve ever brought up Thomas, and I absolutely want Sewell. Go look at my votes in any of the polls (or look at my posting history including threads like this... http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-The-last-time-we-drafted-an-OT). You must be confusing me with someone else.

Discussing the advantages of taking other players doesn’t equal not wanting Sewell.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Bengalholic - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:31 PM)Whatever Wrote: Well, obviously Burrow isn't comfortable with just Boyd and Higgins.  If he was, he wouldn't be pushing for Chase.

I think he sees what he already has in Tee and Tyler, and he's salivating at the idea of adding Chase to the mix.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Synric - 03-29-2021

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gm-report/penei-sewell-vs-jamarr-chase-one-nfl-team-may-have-tipped-their-hand

This is interesting. Albert Breer says the Eagles and everyone expect the Bengals to take Ja'Marr Chase at #5. They need an offensive tackle which would have left Penei Sewell on the board at #6 but they felt the talent wasn't a huge drop off if they traded back.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What in the holy hell are you talking about? That’s literally the first time I’ve ever brought up Thomas, and I absolutely want Sewell. Go look at my votes in any of the polls (or look at my posting history including threads like this... http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-The-last-time-we-drafted-an-OT). You must be confusing me with someone else.

Discussing the advantages of taking other players doesn’t equal not wanting Sewell.

Yeah, don't get why people being happy with us picking Chase or Pitts is us not wanting Sewell.

Haven't seen one poster said he is against taking Sewell honestly.

Some are just realistic and look at the Draft as a whole instead of just the first round.

Good O-lineman are found all throughout the Draft every year in every round.

Same with WR's. 

We have to be open to the possibility of us not taking Sewell in the first as it might be the best option for all we know.

Pitts though is special, never seen a player like him and we all know about Burrow and Chase breaking records.

(03-29-2021, 08:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think he sees what he already has in Tee and Tyler, and he's salivating at the idea of adding Chase to the mix.

Yep, Pitts would also be awesome with Burrow, could be great who knows. It is deep at OT in this Draft.

If it wasn't I would be all in on Sewell and no one else at 5 but it is deep at the position. 

Have to keep our eyes open and not closed.