Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jake Browning appreciation thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jake Browning appreciation thread (/Thread-Jake-Browning-appreciation-thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Synric - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 04:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote: aaaahhhh....The old AJ McCarron playoff game stance

Fans are confusing winning with player projection for a future NFL QB stating job.

The Vikings game is great tape on Jake Browning because of the they brought a bunch of different pressures and the Bengals coaching staff obligated by leaning heavily into more pass blockers over RPO and play action.

Browning was not afraid to take hits on blitzes which is a big deal for the NFL but like the Steelers game he was slow to read, made as bad a read as a QB could, and tried to escape no pressure multiple times. I have more issue with the coaching staff before Jake Browning for this game but anyone thinking Browning is suddenly a QB that can lead any random team that trades for them to a Super Bowl... well...

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - bfine32 - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 04:34 PM)Synric Wrote: Fans are confusing winning with player projection for a future NFL QB stating job.

The Vikings game is great tape on Jake Browning because of the they brought a bunch of different pressures and the Bengals coaching staff obligated by leaning heavily into more pass blockers over RPO and play action.

Browning was not afraid to take hits on blitzes which is a big deal for the NFL but like the Steelers game he was slow to read, made as bad a read as a QB could, and tried to escape no pressure multiple times. I have more issue with the coaching staff before Jake Browning for this game but anyone thinking Browning is suddenly a QB that can lead any random team that trades for them to a Super Bowl... well...

Has said absolutely no one. 

I get it. You we one in favor of tanking. Browning's making you mad

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Synric - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 04:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Has said absolutely no one. 

I get it. You we one in favor of tanking. Browning's making you mad

I'm in favor of football win loss and draft postion mean nothing to me. I can't wait to go back and watch the Trey Hendrickson vs Christian Darrisaw matchup on the all-22.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Browns Town Bengal - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 12:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure, you and others can assert there's no interest in having Browning as a starter given his current performance if you wish. I've seen the league and I disagree. 

But whatever his future; I hope it benefits both him and the Bengals

A larger sample size is needed before I annoint him.  So far hes played well, however, he can come crashing back down to earth any week now.  

That being said, Id love it for him to continue on his current arc...whether its with us or another team

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Joelist - 12-17-2023

Browning is showing a lot of good attributes so far. He also has some places where work is needed. The point however is he is showing he has all the needed tools to be an effective starter in the NFL. This benefits the Bengals in two ways - in the future if Burrow needs to be spelled again they can keep Browning and have a known effective player to step in. Alternately if the Bengals choose to they can dangle Browning as trade bait and land a decent pick for him.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - PDub80 - 12-17-2023

Browning is a restricted FA next year. He will be on the Bengals cheap. If the Bengals make the playoffs, I would resign him & dangle him out there for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, rolling w McCarron as the backup next season.

Sorry, but even though Browning has had some great games I think the clock will strike midnight in 1 of 2 ways.... He either gets a ton of money and walks after next season or he ends up not being THAT good.

Bengals should snag a 3rd or something... or a 4th & a 5th before the asset is allowed to bounce without any compensation.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Wyche'sWarrior - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 12:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I originally pinned that one on Browning as an overthrow, but I saw plenty of people (including our old buddy Baby Hawk) say it was on Jones. He put it down as a rookie mistake.

Jones let up for a second, then kicked it back in gear. Had he been full throttle throughout the route, it would have been an easy pitch and catch. 

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Nicomo Cosca - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 03:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Despite Baker Mayfield's MVP season of an 89 passer rating TB could be a spot

Speaking of Mr. MVP, imagine how deadly this current Cleveland team would be had they just kept Baker instead of selling their soul for Watson… Shocked

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Go Cards - 12-17-2023

(12-16-2023, 07:44 PM)Housh Wrote: If I’m a team like Pittsburg how do you not kick the tires on a Browning trade while you wait to draft you next franchise QB?

True and exactly why the Bengals need to trade Jake if he keeps playing well to insure the steelers or no other division team gets him.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Wyche'sWarrior - 12-17-2023

(12-17-2023, 04:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:
(12-17-2023, 03:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Football is a game of inches and fans would probabaly be singing a different tune if the Vikings had converted that 4th and inches in OT after a horrible 3 and out from the Bengals. There was about 3 full quarters of bad from the offense and the QB.
[/quot
Also 2nd quarter, Jones slowed down mid route or a nice  long TD probably by Browning, but that is why you play 4 quarters, Browning did well under alot of pressure, 5 sacks and 7 pressures
Dropped bomb by Tee, another Tee drop, bad interception. 

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - jj22 - 12-17-2023

Baker lit it up.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Bengal Dude - 12-18-2023

(12-17-2023, 06:23 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Browning is a restricted FA next year. He will be on the Bengals cheap. If the Bengals make the playoffs, I would resign him &  dangle him out there for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, rolling w McCarron as the backup next season.

Sorry, but even though Browning has had some great games I think the clock will strike midnight in 1 of 2 ways.... He either gets a ton of money and walks after next season or he ends up not being THAT good.

Bengals should snag a 3rd or something... or a 4th & a 5th before the asset is allowed to bounce without any compensation.

The Bengals have him cheap for the next two seasons. He's an ERFA after this season and RFA following the 2024 season.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - reuben.ahmed - 12-18-2023

Putting voice to the words you shoulda never cut me, is good to see.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - PDub80 - 12-18-2023

(12-18-2023, 02:14 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The Bengals have him cheap for the next two seasons. He's an ERFA after this season and RFA following the 2024 season.

That, I did not know. I will have to rethink my position on that.

Still not sure there's a major difference between JB6 & McCarron enough to warrant holding him vs grabbing some mid round or better draft picks. Only 1 QB plays, so Jake's ceiling really isn't interesting to me.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - Bengalbug - 12-18-2023

(12-18-2023, 10:31 AM)PDub80 Wrote: That, I did not know. I will have to rethink my position on that.

Still not sure there's a major difference between JB6 & McCarron enough to warrant holding him vs grabbing some mid round or better draft picks. Only 1 QB plays, so Jake's ceiling really isn't interesting to me.

If this season has taught you anything, it’s that you need to plan for some missed games by your qb. Look around the league, over half of the teams have played multiple QBS this season. 12 backup QBs started games yesterday.

If we can flip browning, in the offseason,for a 2nd or better, the risk/reward justifies moving him. However, if it’s less than that, I’m holding on to browning. Insurance policy for some missed games OR, wait until injuries happen in 24 and have a desperate team come calling. With the contract he will be on, a team like the jets from this year surely would have paid a premium for him.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - jj22 - 12-18-2023

The good news in all of this is that it looks as though the coaching staff can develop a QB. I know they've considered drafting a backup the last couple drafts and they probably should even if they keep Browning 1 more year.

Having a capable backup for cheap for 4 years is better than losing a capable backup due to the unwillingness to pay more than vet minimum. Especially if the backup may see time here and there over the next couple years, and has good showings that catch other teams attention.

I know the league is a cut throat business, but if Browning has a chance to compete for a staring spot at 28 (next year), then why hold him back from that. Will he force the issue? Maybe not, but getting something for him to give him his shot elsewhere is a feel good story for him. FO doing right by him if opportunities arise after he led them to the playoffs would be a honorable move.

RE: Jake Freaking Browning - TheLeonardLeap - 12-18-2023

(12-18-2023, 10:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: If this season has taught you anything, it’s that you need to plan for some missed games by your qb.  Look around the league, over half of the teams have played multiple QBS this season.  12 backup QBs started games yesterday.  

If we can flip browning, in the offseason,for a 2nd or better, the risk/reward justifies moving him.  However, if it’s less than that, I’m holding on to browning.  Insurance policy for some missed games OR, wait until injuries happen in 24 and have a desperate team come calling.  With the contract he will be on, a team like the jets from this year surely would have paid a premium for him.

I think I would be willing if it was a 3rd so long as it's an early 3rd if only because I think Browning only has 1 year of control left after this year. Then he'd walk for a 2026 comp 6th or something as the Bengals have a $46.25m cap hit for Burrow in 2025, so I don't think you can afford $6-8m in cap space for a backup QB.

Gotta be in the offseason before the draft, though. I don't like the idea of trading guys away for next year picks if you are trying to be good that year. Get picks that can help you be better that year. Same reason I stopped being interested in trading Tee as soon as the draft happened despite supporting it before the draft.

RE: Jake Browning appreciation thread - Soonerpeace - 12-18-2023

RE: Jake Browning appreciation thread - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 12-18-2023

59 minutes!

RE: Jake Browning appreciation thread - M.W. - 12-18-2023

He is certainly doing a fine job of starting currently. Hopefully he puts another good game together Saturday!