Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
White Privilege? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: White Privilege? (/Thread-White-Privilege)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: White Privilege? - PhilHos - 08-10-2018

(08-10-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe you shouldn't comment on something you have so little knowledge of.

That's not stopped you. I don't know why it should stop me.  ThumbsUp

(08-10-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There have been multiple studies posted showing that blacks and minorities are treated worse in housing applications, job applications, and profiling by police. 

None of which shows white privilege, only that there are racist people out there.

(08-10-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since white people are treated better and white people control a disproportionate amount of wealth and power in this country then white people have a privilege.

Again, correlation does not equal causation.

Just because there are more white people with wealth and there are more white people in positions of authority does not mean that white people not in positions of wealth and/or power have some special privilege. Or are you saying white homeless guy is more privileged than Oprah Winfrey?

(08-10-2018, 05:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you admit that racism exists.  And if you admit that white people control a disproportionate amount of wealth and power in this country, then you have to admit that there is a privilege to being white in the United States.

No, I do not. Just because I recognize that racism still exists and that I'm the same race as the President of the country and the richest man in the country, doesn't mean all 3 of us share the same privileges.

RE: White Privilege? - bfine32 - 08-10-2018

The term is the issue:

If I am not subject to racism; I am not being extended a privilege.

I think privilege falls more along economic factors. If you're in impoverished area driving a nice vehicle you're more likely to draw attention than the dude in the hoopty; regardless of color.

RE: White Privilege? - jj22 - 08-10-2018

Does anyone think Obama would have gotten away with everything Trump has? What is the difference? Why if not, is the standards different?

Do you think Obama could have confessed to collusion with an enemy state who attacked America without any backlash?

The problem with "white privilege" rather you agree with it or not is the perception. How do we explain this to African American kids who see the difference? What do you tell them when they see the reaction from people when the mass murder is black vs a minority? The sudden fear? What do you tell them when they only see mass murders who are white taken alive? These are tough conversations to have with your kids, and unfortunately not every race has to have that conversation with their kids.

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 08-10-2018

(08-10-2018, 05:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So when they only control about 1% of the economy I don't think that is much of a privilege.  What other industry is controlled by blacks or minorities?

You said wealth and power. You do not have to control an industry to confer privilege. If you say a white cop letting a white person go, and writing a ticket for the same offense to a black driver is white privilege, then the opposite is true also. If a black cop lets a black guy go and writes a ticket for a white motorist for the same violation, then it is black privilege.

But I will give you credit for admitting black privilege exists. In your own example, 1% may not be much, but it is still privilege. 

I still call both examples racism.

RE: White Privilege? - Vlad - 08-10-2018

(08-10-2018, 12:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here you go again.  

When racism is involved the person who is a member of the group that controls a disproportionate amount of the wealth and power has a privilege.

Black people in the JIm crow south held racist views of white people but they had ZERO privilege.

It is absurd to claim that racism is the exact same thing as privilege.  If you disagree then list all of the privileges that blacks in the Jim Crow south enjoyed.

Thats totally screwed up.

I don't think you understand the term "white privilege".

During Jim Crow it was a given that due to racism there was little or no privilege for blacks...to specify "black privilege" or "white privilege" was unnecessary. You were either a racist or a victim of racism.

"White privilege" is a term invented by white guilt liberals ...aimed at fellow white people, not to accuse them of anything, but rather to make them aware, ashamed, or guilty of the fact they are still privileged in a certain way...despite of all the positive strides that have taken place to eradicate racism and discrimination.

For example...I am white, I walk into a bank and talk to the loan officer about a loan...no problem. Later a black man enters the bank and the loan officer immediately takes a harder look and or is  wary.

I did nothing wrong, but I unknowingly was the beneficiary of white privilege.. Making me aware is the objective of these white guilt self loathing liberals.

RE: White Privilege? - GMDino - 08-10-2018

(08-10-2018, 09:36 PM)Vlad Wrote: Thats totally screwed up.

During Jim Crow it was a given that due to racism there was little or no privilege for blacks...to specify "black privilege" or "white privilege" was unnecessary. You were either a racist or a victim of racism.

"White privilege" is a term invented by white guilt liberals ...aimed at fellow white people, not to accuse them of anything, but rather to make them aware, ashamed, or guilty of the fact they are still privileged in a certain way...despite of all the positive strides that have taken place to eradicate racism and discrimination.

For example...I am white, I walk into a bank and talk to the loan officer about a loan...no problem. Later a black man enters the bank and the loan officer immediately takes a harder look and or is  wary.

I did nothing wrong, but I unknowingly was the beneficiary of white privilege.. Making me aware is the objective of these white guilt self loathing liberals.

This whole post acknowledges white privilege.   Cool

RE: White Privilege? - Nately120 - 08-11-2018

(08-10-2018, 09:36 PM)Vlad Wrote: I did nothing wrong, but I unknowingly was the beneficiary of white privilege.. Making me aware is the objective of these white guilt self loathing liberals.

I can't speak for shrill liberals, but I think the point of making you aware of white privilege is a little deeper than making you feel bad.   

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 08-13-2018

(08-10-2018, 09:36 PM)Vlad Wrote: Thats totally screwed up.

It has nothing to do with "guilt" or "shame".  That trope was invented by the white people who tried to claim there was no such thing as white privilege.  At least you admit it exists.

This is where the argument ends.  "White privilege" has nothing to do with guilt.  The only time it is an issue at all is when some white people try to claim it does not exist.

(08-10-2018, 06:24 PM)Beaker Wrote: You said wealth and power. You do not have to control an industry to confer privilege. If you say a white cop letting a white person go, and writing a ticket for the same offense to a black driver is white privilege, then the opposite is true also. If a black cop lets a black guy go and writes a ticket for a white motorist for the same violation, then it is black privilege.

But I will give you credit for admitting black privilege exists. In your own example, 1% may not be much, but it is still privilege. 

I still call both examples racism.

I think you are finally starting to grasp the concept now.

In a country where every person gives favors to people of his own race it is a huge privilege to belong to the race that controls a large disproportionate amount of the power and wealth.

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 04:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It has nothing to do with "guilt" or "shame".  That trope was invented by the white people who tried to claim there was no such thing as white privilege.  At least you admit it exists.

This is where the argument ends.  "White privilege" has nothing to do with guilt.  The only time it is an issue at all is when some white people try to claim it does not exist.

Civil liberties and civil rights are not privileges so why was that term invented? It's certainly intended to get a reaction.

(08-13-2018, 04:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Civil liberties and civil rights are not privileges so why was that term invented?  It's certainly intended to get a reaction.

It was not invented to get a reaction.  It was invented in order to have a discussion whenever a white person claimed that everything was 100% equal in the United Sates for black and white people and there was no privilege to being white.

Don't tell me you have never heard a white person say that.  

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was not invented to get a reaction.  It was invented in order to have a discussion whenever a white person claimed that everything was 100% equal in the United Sates for black and white people and there was no privilege to being white.

Don't tell me you have never heard a white person say that.  

The examples I most often hear  cited are not privileges.  They are rights, and those rights are being violated in the examples given.  If people talk about being followed in a store or something, sure.

RE: White Privilege? - Beaker - 08-14-2018

(08-13-2018, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you are finally starting to grasp the concept now.

In a country where every person gives favors to people of his own race it is a huge privilege to belong to the race that controls a large disproportionate amount of the power and wealth.

I think you are finally starting to grasp the concept now that people of all racial groups can hold positions of power within our society such as police, bosses, teachers and professors, etc., and that they can confer "privilege" to people of their own racial group via that power, but that it is all racism to begin with.

(08-13-2018, 05:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was not invented to get a reaction.  It was invented in order to have a discussion whenever a white person claimed that everything was 100% equal in the United Sates for black and white people and there was no privilege to being white.

And you finally grasp the concept that it is an invented term. Progress for both of us apparently.

RE: White Privilege? - PhilHos - 08-14-2018

(08-10-2018, 09:36 PM)Vlad. Wrote: For example...I am white, I walk into a bank and talk to the loan officer about a loan...no problem. Later a black man enters the bank and the loan officer immediately takes a harder look and or is  wary.

Not only is that against the law (and I don't just mean discriminating, but even taking a "harder look" is against the law), but banks are required to go out of their way to show that they DON'T do that. And not just racially, but in all protected groups (gender, sexual orientation, etc.).

(08-13-2018, 04:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think you are finally starting to grasp the concept now.

What favors has Donald Trump given me? Or Bill Gates? Or Steve Jobs prior to his passing? Or Warren Buffet? Or Ted Nugent? Or any of the white politicians in Washington? I've met exactly 0 of these men, yet somehow they've given me favors that they haven't given to my minority friends?

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 08-14-2018

(08-14-2018, 04:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Not only is that against the law (and I don't just mean discriminating, but even taking a "harder look" is against the law), but banks are required to go out of their way to show that they DON'T do that. And not just racially, but in all protected groups (gender, sexual orientation, etc.).

I imagine we could figure that out by looking at foreclosures.  If black people are scrutinized more heavily, they should have a lower rate of foreclosures.

(08-14-2018, 04:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I imagine we could figure that out by looking at foreclosures.  If black people are scrutinized more heavily, they should have a lower rate of foreclosures.

Trust me. There's a LOT of reports and info that banks have to provide to prove that they are NOT scrutinizing nor discriminating against minorities. ANY finding can lead to massive fines as well as other punishments.

RE: White Privilege? - michaelsean - 08-14-2018

(08-14-2018, 04:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Trust me. There's a LOT of reports and info that banks have to provide to prove that they are NOT scrutinizing nor discriminating against minorities. ANY finding can lead to massive fines as well as other punishments.

As much as I'd like to, I have issues with trust.  

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 08-14-2018

(08-14-2018, 04:49 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What favors has Donald Trump given me? Or Bill Gates? Or Steve Jobs prior to his passing? Or Warren Buffet? Or Ted Nugent? Or any of the white politicians in Washington? I've met exactly 0 of these men, yet somehow they've given me favors that they haven't given to my minority friends?

You work for a bank controlled by white people.  White people have been shown to favor other white people.  You have admitted many times that racism still exists.  So you may very well have gotten your job over a minority because of the color of your skin.

Now give me a list of all banks in the United States owned by black people or that has a black CEO.

Once you admit that whites still favor whites you have to admit that there is a privilege to living in a society where white control a disproportionate amount of the wealth and power.

RE: White Privilege? - fredtoast - 08-14-2018

(08-14-2018, 05:56 AM)Beaker Wrote: I think you are finally starting to grasp the concept now that people of all racial groups can hold positions of power within our society such as police, bosses, teachers and professors, etc., and that they can confer "privilege" to people of their own racial group via that power, but that it is all racism to begin with.

Of course it is all racism.

And since whites hold a hugely disproportionate number of these positions of power then it is a privilege to be white.