Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron (/Thread-Bengals-request-interviews-with-Josh-McDaniels-Zac-Taylor-Shane-Waldron)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - XenoMorph - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 12:02 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Yeah because Duke has been so clutch lately.

2 big Home Runs in this past draft already.

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - sandwedge - 01-04-2019

(01-03-2019, 11:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: According to Hobson on the search process:

'It’s believed they began working from a list of more than 20 names and have made about a dozen initial inquiries.'

He also notes that it's believed that Duke is part of the search committee.

Also interesting, yesterday I read in that same article or it could have been in Hobson's Choice, that in fact Duke is the GM. He just doesn't have the title. I found that a little odd...

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - bengalfan74 - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 12:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Also interesting, yesterday I read in that same article or it could have been in Hobson's Choice, that in fact Duke is the GM. He just doesn't have the title. I found that a little odd...

Mike Brown will not give up control. Duke is more of an advisor than an actual GM.

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - XenoMorph - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 12:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Also interesting, yesterday I read in that same article or it could have been in Hobson's Choice, that in fact Duke is the GM. He just doesn't have the title. I found that a little odd...

of duke aint complaining who cares what his title is lol

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - 3wt - 01-04-2019

As I survey the candidates so far, the most interesting candidate is Todd Monken.

He's the only guy who has not failed as a head coach that also developed and called his own offense.  He is also the only guy that has a significant endorsement by a player who is well traveled/ experienced, was a high level performer this year and is known for being a very savvy guy.

All the rest are coaches who have a failed recent track record or haven't done squat in this league.

He has the profile of what we want.   A young, intelligent guys who has demonstrated his abilities in the league (top 5 offense this year I believe), who the game has not passed by and who has (reportedly) the "it" (vs IT) factor.

So far he has not accepted the request for an interview (which bodes poorly for the Bengals)

If I'm Duke and Katie I'm not wasting time interviewing guys who are essentially aides and have no positive track record, and gunning heavily for this guy.  

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - Whatever - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:21 PM)3wt Wrote: As I survey the candidates so far, the most interesting candidate is Todd Monken.

He's the only guy who has not failed as a head coach that also developed and called his own offense.  He is also the only guy that has a significant endorsement by a player who is well traveled/ experienced, was a high level performer this year and is known for being a very savvy guy.

All the rest are coaches who have a failed recent track record or haven't done squat in this league.

He has the profile of what we want.   A young, intelligent guys who has demonstrated his abilities in the league (top 5 offense this year I believe), who the game has not passed by and who has (reportedly) the "it" (vs IT) factor.

So far he has not accepted the request for an interview (which bodes poorly for the Bengals)

If I'm Duke and Katie I'm not wasting time interviewing guys who are essentially aides and have no positive track record, and gunning heavily for this guy.  

Monken is an interesting candidate, for sure.  His offense was definitely impressive despite the QB carusel in TB this year.  He also has 3 years as a college HC, doing a rebuild at Mississippi Southern, so he has experience with talent evaluation.

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - Au165 - 01-04-2019

...why do people think calling own plays important? I have seen this multiple times an until recently HC's calling the offense was very rare. Adam Gase got criticized for doing this because it took him over to the bench unfocused on the rest of the game. I keep seeing this call their own plays, but a HC is not a coordinator. He has to manage the overall running of the team and will install schemes and game plans for both sides of the ball. Case in point Frank Reich didn't call plays in Philladelphia but he sure does have the Colts looking good in year one when they looked like they could be a dumpster fire.

Also side note, history shows us you are much more likely to be successful in your second head coaching job than your first.

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - Nicomo Cosca - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:21 PM)3wt Wrote: As I survey the candidates so far, the most interesting candidate is Todd Monken.

Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson are working out pretty well for “aides”

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - SunsetBengal - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...why do people think calling own plays important? I have seen this multiple times an until recently HC's calling the offense was very rare. Adam Gase got criticized for doing this because it took him over to the bench unfocused on the rest of the game. I keep seeing this call their own plays, but a HC is not a coordinator. He has to manage the overall running of the team and will install schemes and game plans for both sides of the ball. Case in point Frank Reich didn't call plays in Philladelphia but he sure does have the Colts looking good in year one when they looked like they could be a dumpster fire.

Also side note, history shows us you are much more likely to be successful in your second head coaching job than your first.

Unless your name is Hue Jackson..

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - Au165 - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Unless your name is Hue Jackson..

More likely doesn't mean you will. Some simply are destined to be coordinators. There have been a couple coordinators in history kind of like this. 

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - I_C_DeadPeople - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 12:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Mike Brown will not give up control. Duke is more of an advisor than an actual GM.

The GM generally heads up the personnel department and negotiates contracts. Right now, it seems like Katie does the contracts. I dont think there is any doubt Tobin is in charge of personnel, reporting to the Tree Sloth. 

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - Earendil - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...why do people think calling own plays important? I have seen this multiple times an until recently HC's calling the offense was very rare. Adam Gase got criticized for doing this because it took him over to the bench unfocused on the rest of the game. I keep seeing this call their own plays, but a HC is not a coordinator. He has to manage the overall running of the team and will install schemes and game plans for both sides of the ball. Case in point Frank Reich didn't call plays in Philladelphia but he sure does have the Colts looking good in year one when they looked like they could be a dumpster fire.

Exactly.  I would rather the HC NOT be calling the plays. Leave that to the coordinators.  We need someone who can develop a strong gameplan and also has a good feel for the game to make the half-time adjustments we were always told were mythical.

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - I_C_DeadPeople - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Unless your name is Hue Jackson..

Or Chip Kelly

Monken would not be the only one with a player endorsement, just the only one with a public one. The league is a very small and tight group so I do not suspect there is much in the way of unknowns for candidates or about the candidates. It is clear every year that most teams have a similar candidate list so they are all working with the same information. Look at Indy, they had to go thier second choice but it worked out better than their first choice. 

There are good candidates out there, but a lot of it is 'fit'. Have to have the right guy for THAT organization. 

(01-04-2019, 02:15 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Monken would not be the only one with a player endorsement, just the only one with a public one. The league is a very small and tight group so I do not suspect there is much in the way of unknowns for candidates or about the candidates. It is clear every year that most teams have a similar candidate list so they are all working with the same information. Look at Indy, they had to go thier second choice but it worked out better than their first choice. 

There are good candidates out there, but a lot of it is 'fit'. Have to have the right guy for THAT organization. And turn the search around from the other side - any candidate will be talking to former players/coaches of the Bengals for info as well, probably reaching out to Marv. They will know the pros and cons of this job. 

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: Monken is an interesting candidate, for sure.  His offense was definitely impressive despite the QB carusel in TB this year.  He also has 3 years as a college HC, doing a rebuild at Mississippi Southern, so he has experience with talent evaluation.

Good stuff on Monken, hope he accepts an interview from us and is the guy if he fits but...

I wouldn't call what Zac Taylor and Eric Beinemy have done as failures.

True, it isn't the HC's job to call the plays.

Maybe Monken as the HC and Taylor as the OC?

(01-04-2019, 01:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson are working out pretty well for “aides”

True that.

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - fozzie11 - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 02:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, it isn't the HC's job to call the plays.

Maybe Monken as the HC and Taylor as the OC?

I would assume that Taylor gets a HC gig somewhere with all the teams that are interested, and the fact our guys are flying out to meet him seems intereseting

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 02:28 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: I would assume that Taylor gets a HC gig somewhere with all the teams that are interested, and the fact our guys are flying out to meet him seems intereseting

Must be cause of the glowing praise from McVay. Usually QB coaches don't just jump straight to HC, but it does happen.

Honestly would be happy with almost any of these guys as the next HC over Hue.

RE: Bengals request interviews with Josh McDaniels, Zac Taylor & Shane Waldron - 3wt - 01-04-2019

(01-04-2019, 01:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Matt Nagy and Doug Pederson are working out pretty well for “aides”

Peterson was the offensive coordinator for KC for two years
Nagy was the offensive coordinator for KC for two years

So not just aides.  

However it does lend a little legitimacy to Bienemy!

Looks like Monken is taking the interview according to Schefter. I am simply happy that we are continuing to keep looking outside and outside of ties to here for the next HC.