Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase (/Thread-Report-Burrow-pushing-for-Bengals-to-draft-Chase)

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - rfaulk34 - 03-29-2021

(03-29-2021, 04:15 PM)jj22 Wrote: I still think the run on olineman from oline desperate teams at the end of the 1st is going to take any prospect we had on the radar in the 2nd. So the question is is Chase worth they gamble of not getting to the oline until the 3rd round?

There are about 20 guys that are going to be drafted in the first 3 rounds. They could go WR, OL, OL and still get two guys that would be upgrades to what they have now, or at least equal and younger with potential to be better. That's not counting guys that currently have 3rd/4th round grades that are going to be really good once they get to the NFL. 

I don't really think the Bengals have the talent to see who those guys could be...but maybe once, they get lucky. 

(03-29-2021, 05:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: very few

but I suppose somebody will come with a PFF stat saying that the 2015 broncos line was below average or something

The 2015 Broncos had two starting Olinemen grade 70 or above, gave up 29 sacks and 245 pressures. 
The 2020 Bengals had two starting Olinemen grade 70 or above, gave up 24 sacks and 191 pressures. 

Ninja

(03-29-2021, 05:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not saying I am comfortable, just saying we might be better than some are letting on after the Draft.

Some are acting like we have to use the first 5 picks on O-line. We need a future OT and a Guard.

Hopkins is a top 5 pass protecting Center BTW.

Close! He's 7th in efficiency and least amount of pressures. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - rfaulk34 - 03-30-2021

(03-29-2021, 05:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If you’re referring to me (I did have the suck for Sewell sig for a while lol) I still want him. I’m just not putting all my eggs in one basket. Especially when it sounds more and more like we’re not going to take him. I’m open to a few different guys at 5.

If you can take a weapon like Chase, and then get 1 or 2 good offensive linemen...that's a good thing. Burrow, behind an average offensive line with Chase, Boyd and Higgins to throw to, would be very nice. 

If they go Sewell and then get a guy like Bateman (he could go in the 1st though), Moore or Marshall Jr in rd 2, then Oline in 3 and TE in 4, i'm gonna be just as happy.

I don't see how you can "lose" in either scenario. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 03-30-2021

(03-29-2021, 11:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hopefully, the name Leatherwood is never uttered by anyone in the Bengals organization, unless it's to say "don't want that dude". 

Why so down on Leatherwood?

(03-29-2021, 08:27 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think he sees what he already has in Tee and Tyler, and he's salivating at the idea of adding Chase to the mix.

Yup. He's a QB. He wants a whole boatload of really good WRs running all over the field. 

(03-29-2021, 10:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Vera-Tucker I would love if we traded back and got him while adding a pick. Best Guard prospect in the Draft that can also 
play Tackle in a pinch if we needed him to and he has been worked out by Pollack already.

The Oregon thing should give everyone pause.

Sewell played great there but he hasn't played against top competition like some of these other guys have.

Darrisaw, Slater and Eichenberg held their own against top Ends in their Conferences. Cosmi is damn good too.

Nate...USC plays in the same conference that Oregon does. Ninja

(03-29-2021, 10:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I've said before that Sewell has Jonathan Ogden type potential.  He has technique issues that need cleaned up, which combined with work ethic concerns may keep him from realizing that potential.  I think there's a slim chance he outright busts, but there's a decent chance he's an Andre Smith type that's a solid starter, but not the Munoz/Willie/Whit people are hoping for.

Slater is a much more finished product and has great technique, which causes some to have him higher.  But Slater has size/length issues and is nearly topped out already, while Sewell has ridiculous upside. Some people will rate the more polished guy higher because that's their preference, while others will prioritize upside more.  I know one of the scouting services I look at that has Slater higher also has Smith over Chase because he's more polished as a route runner, but we're comparing Smith as a senior to Chase as a sophomore.

His athleticism alone will keep him from busting. 

(03-29-2021, 11:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am leaning in my own preference this way (not how I see it going I expect Chase)....

Pitts - TE
Eichenberg - OT
Carman - Guard a mauler
Patrick Jones - DE
Nixon - DT to replace Geno

Think Pitts is the next great offensive weapon like no other.

I don't really wanna see anyone drafted on the D side until the 5th round or later. 

(03-29-2021, 11:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sewell is a great pick, but he's a pick that pays dividends 2-3 years down the road.  If they take him, I expect him to start, but if he even grades out in the 60's I'd be happy.  Rookie OL are rarely difference makers.  That's one reason why I think Chase will be the pick.  Taylor's seat is heating up and he's is most likely to be an immediate difference maker out of Sewell, Chase, and Pitts.

No way, Jose. If he starts off at OG, he's Quenton Nelson territory.

(03-30-2021, 12:07 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why so down on Leatherwood?

I'm generally not real up on any Alabama Oline guys *coughjonahisnottrendingwellcough*. 

I just don't think he will react well to speed guys with a good 2nd move. I could be way off, but it's just a feeling i get watching him. You know all about the EDs in this division and who is upcoming this year (from an earlier post of mine about the quality of guy coming off the LDE). 

Since some of y'all done forgot. Refresh yourselves. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Whatever - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 12:42 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No way, Jose. If he starts off at OG, he's Quenton Nelson territory.

I don't think so, personally.  Nelson had way better technique and play strength coming out.  Sewell has way more upside due to his feet, though.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Sled21 - 03-30-2021

Well, the Eagles are hedging their bets and moving around in the draft convinced we are taking Chase. I'm leaning that way myself now.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - TJ528 - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 10:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, the Eagles are hedging their bets and moving around in the draft convinced we are taking Chase. I'm leaning that way myself now.

Unless we trade the #5 pick, I agree were taking Chase. 

This roster needs play makers and he automatically gives you one.  

You're not going to get a play maker in the same mold of Chase or Pitts in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

(03-30-2021, 09:51 AM)Whatever Wrote: I don't think so, personally.  Nelson had way better technique and play strength coming out.  Sewell has way more upside due to his feet, though.

Sewell has good technique and power right now. It's funny how, someone says he's "not as polished" as a guy like Slater and all of the sudden, the guy is raw, needs coaching up, on the ground too much, etc etc, like he's nothing like the guy everyone saw last season. 

He's a big strong fast young physical freak that will step in day one and be a stud. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Synric - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 12:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sewell has good technique and power right now. It's funny how, someone says he's "not as polished" as a guy like Slater and all of the sudden, the guy is raw, needs coaching up, on the ground too much, etc etc, like he's nothing like the guy everyone saw last season. 

He's a big strong fast young physical freak that will step in day one and be a stud. 

Sewell's hands can get wide and he will over run people in space (crazy to say that an offensive lineman) but overall he has solid technique that he will refine with experience. His biggest issue is inexperience and the "immaturity" issues we are now hearing about.

If there is a 1st round OT that you should be worried about technique its Teven Jenkins. The Oklahoma State Air Raid offense has him set horizontally instead of vertical sets. Andre Dillard came out of a similar system.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - WhodeyRay - 03-30-2021

(03-29-2021, 08:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We definitely need to add to the O-line, no one is saying anything different Ray. I would be more than happy with Sewell.

But he didn't even play last year and we have seen O-lineman bust and should know it could happen with Sewell.

We should also know how deep the Draft is at what positions, what is nice is it is very deep at OT and even has some very good 
interior O-lineman that should be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. It is the year of 1 year deals for FA's, if Reiff plays well which
I believe he will we probably re-sign him. To not be open to anything besides Sewell I find to be ignorant especially with players like
Pitts who could be the best pass catching prospect to ever come out and Chase who was Burrow's fave target at LSU.
Nate I do agree. I am not sold on Sewell. He may be great he may not. If they think he is not the answer then so be it. I am not a scout for sure. I just feel for the last couple years we see during the season we need to address the line hard but as the draft gets closer we all get Jerry Jones eyes and look at the shiny toys rather than the building blocks.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Sanforbd - 03-30-2021

I just can't get all that excited about Chase. If we're spending a top 5 pick on a receiver I'm expecting, Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones. The comps I've heard about Chase aren't that tier of WR's. WR is also one of the more expendable, and easier to acquire positions, similar to the RB spot, where as offensive tackle is one of the harder positions to fill.

Shinny weapons are cool, but when's the last time the Steelers or Pats spent a top 5 on a WR? Steelers, for one, seem to be doing just fine filling their receiver room, and the Bengals have never really been one to struggle in this spot either.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Earendil - 03-30-2021

(03-30-2021, 01:04 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Since some of y'all done forgot. Refresh yourselves. 

That's a good video, but it looked to me like he gets away with a lot of holding.  He might get away with that in the NFL if he played for the Steelers, but not us.

Then again, I don't watch college football that much, so maybe that's normal.