Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! (/Thread-Zac-Taylor-play-calling-is-trash)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - THE PISTONS - 10-30-2023

Interestingly, after Bye weeks, our run blocking seems to always improve...for the last 3-4 years atleast. Saw it yesterday too.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - 3wt - 10-30-2023

(10-29-2023, 11:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: It was good to see Mixon show up today, he was decisive and playing fast. About as good as I can recall him playing actually and hope that motivated guy shows up week in and week out until the SB is won.
He was - and I loved it!  But the O-Line was blowing up the defensive interior in the first half, which was just as satisfying.

But his sudden cuts to the outside, including the TD were awesome.

So good to see a balanced offense.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - 3wt - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 07:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The creative play calling on the first two drives to open the game was very refreshing to watch.  As most of us seemed to have noticed, things seemed to slow down when they went back to the rut of shotgun every snap.  Glad that they chose to mix things up again in the second half.

One of my favorite plays of the day is where they set up the SF defense by running the jet sweep a few times earlier in the game, and then when they faked it to Chase, the entire middle of the field opened up wide for the run.

Definitely put a muzzle on all my screaming at the sweeps...  

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Soonerpeace - 10-30-2023

Think about this in the last 3 seasons 21,22,23. Against KC, SF, Balt.,Pitt,& Bills we are 12-5.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - bfine32 - 10-30-2023

Just never, ever, ever, ever run another sweep with Chase. I'd like to see them do it with Charlie upon his return.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Wyche'sWarrior - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 11:04 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interestingly, after Bye weeks, our run blocking seems to always improve...for the last 3-4 years atleast. Saw it yesterday too.

I think this year, it was a matter of getting a healthy Joe Burrow back. They were being maybe a little overly cautious by keeping him in the gun, but that's what they were doing. Having a lot more of your playbook available to you makes the playcalls look better all of the sudden. Like Romo noted, it had been like Joe fighting with one arm behind his back until this game. 

(10-29-2023, 09:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The only thing I didn’t like was the crap with Chase in the backfield. It NEVER works. He just commands too much attention.

Me too, but.....it worked beautifully using him as a decoy later in the game. Looks to me like Zac and Cally were playing the long game yesterday. Burrow was surgical. 

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Joelist - 10-30-2023

The main plays I did not like were that bubble reverse with Chase - because it never seems to truly catch the defense off guard. Also when they went wide at the goal line. Yes Smith's fumble did not help but I did not like us getting "cute" there when it should have been Hammertime.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 11:14 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Think about this in the last 3 seasons 21,22,23. Against KC, SF, Balt.,Pitt,& Bills we are 12-5.

What’s their record when Burrow is injured vs. healthy?

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Soonerpeace - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 01:11 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What’s their record when Burrow is injured vs. healthy?

Don’t really care almost every team with a superstar QB ain’t worth a crap w/o them. Doesn’t compute . SF is built different with 900k QB but money spent on LB, TE, RB, WR, LT. Belicheck under .500 w/o Brady and a zillion other instances

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - WeezyBengal - 10-30-2023

I don't want to hear another damn word about the play calling, play designs, or scheme.

It's honestly ridiculous the amount of hate this staff and even Burrow got during the first 4-5 games of this season. The local media trashed ZT and the offensive staff (looking at you Mo Egger and Tony Pike). I mean, how was it not obvious how limited they were with Burrow's injury? They guy couldn't get out of the pocket and could barely move out there. Its a damn miracle we got 3 wins with how limited he was. IT WAS OBVIOUS.

This staff has a history of success. Just last year they were a top 5 passing team.

They have shown the ability to EVOLVE this year as well. Awesome play designs. Use of "cheat" motion. Setting teams up for shot plays later in games (fake bubble to Chase).

The offense is fine, it's always been fine. Joe's calf wasn't.

No more slander. This staff has earned the benefit of the doubt.

(10-30-2023, 02:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't want to hear another damn word about the play calling, play designs, or scheme.

It's honestly ridiculous the amount of hate this staff and even Burrow got during the first 4-5 games of this season. The local media trashed ZT and the offensive staff (looking at you Mo Egger and Tony Pike). I mean, how was it not obvious how limited they were with Burrow's injury? They guy couldn't get out of the pocket and could barely move out there. Its a damn miracle we got 3 wins with how limited he was. IT WAS OBVIOUS.

This staff has a history of success. Just last year they were a top 5 passing team.

They have shown the ability to EVOLVE this year as well. Awesome play designs. Use of "cheat" motion. Setting teams up for shot plays later in games (fake bubble to Chase).

The offense is fine, it's always been fine. Joe's calf wasn't.

No more slander. This staff has earned the benefit of the doubt.

I agree, and Tony Pike is a joke. It's almost like he reads troll shit off social media and parrots it.

What I don't understand, this is the best version of Cincinnati Bengals football we've ever seen....and I think everyone knows what I think about Boomer and Sam....and people act like these guys are all bums. It's nuts.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - WeezyBengal - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 03:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, and Tony Pike is a joke. It's almost like he reads troll shit off social media and parrots it.

What I don't understand, this is the best version of Cincinnati Bengals football we've ever seen....and I think everyone knows what I think about Boomer and Sam....and people act like these guys are all bums. It's nuts.

Tony just agrees with everything Mo says...he has no voice and you'd think he would be smart for having actually played the game at a high level. 

I do think the play calling was gimped somewhat by Burrow's calf and resulting immobility. His being completely unable to move in the pocket not only hung the OL out there but removed a whole tier of plays from the playbook - some of which we got to see back in place yesterday. One example was a Burrow RPO concept they used to torch the Niners defense when the DL was stunting (that might have been the 20 yard run).

Only thing I don't like is our occasional tendency to get "cute" in situations which call more less subtle solutions.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Nicomo Cosca - 10-30-2023

No reason to slander Tony Pike. He’s just doing his job as a sports talk radio guy when things aren’t going well there’s going to be negativity. And he’s definitely super knowledgeable. That’s really not even a question.

(10-30-2023, 08:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No reason to slander Tony Pike. He’s just doing his job as a sports talk radio guy when things aren’t going well there’s going to be negativity. And he’s definitely super knowledgeable. That’s really not even a question.

He has a lot of takes that make me scratch my head....Dehner, Rapien, and a couple of others have solid takes and that includes their negative views. I even heard Tony insinuate that cheap Mike Brown was making Joe play because of the contract. C'mon man.... that's a lazy ass bush league take.

Speaking of design Brock Purdy can add his name to a list of QBs including Mahomes who got baited by Logan Wilson into throwing a bad looking INT. It's something he does to make the QB think something is there then when the ball comes out he snaps it up.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Essex Johnson - 10-30-2023

(10-30-2023, 11:14 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Think about this in the last 3 seasons 21,22,23. Against KC, SF, Balt.,Pitt,& Bills we are 12-5.

Solid numbers But 1-3 vs Lamar in that span. He has our number and we have never beaten him at Balt and still have to play there . 

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 10-31-2023

(10-30-2023, 01:46 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t really care almost every team with a superstar QB ain’t worth a crap w/o them. Doesn’t compute . SF is built different with 900k QB but money spent on LB, TE, RB, WR, LT. Belicheck under .500 w/o Brady and a zillion other instances

And that would suggest Burrow’s play is more responsible for the win-loss record you highlighted than Taylor’s play calling. As supported by a zillion other instances.

I know you don’t care and I know it doesn’t compute for you. Unless Burrow was from Norman and Taylor coached at LSU. Then you would care and it would compute very much.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Truck_1_0_1_ - 10-31-2023

(10-30-2023, 11:59 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Solid numbers But 1-3 vs Lamar in that span. He has our number and we have never beaten him at Balt and still have to play there . 

This is why nobody takes you seriously and why they constantly dunk on you:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/202110240rav.htm