Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks (/Thread-Trump-admin-bans-Bump-Stocks)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - jj22 - 03-26-2019

I'll applaud the current administration for this.

Too bad Trump supporters and Republicans shouted down and accused "other" administrations who fought for the same thing as being traitors and against the 2nd amendment.

Something had to be done.

"Thoughts and prayers" just wasn't enough to help the Parkland survivors as they drop off one by one by their own hand.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - michaelsean - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 11:00 AM)jj22 Wrote: I'll applaud the current administration for this.

Too bad Trump supporters and Republicans shouted down and accused "other" administrations who fought for the same thing as being traitors and against the 2nd amendment.

Something had to be done.

"Thoughts and prayers" just wasn't enough to help the Parkland survivors as they drop off one by one by their own hand.

I'm not going to say I don't believe you, but previously people were shouted down and called traitors for wanting to ban bump stocks? I didn't think most people, myself included, ever heard of a bump stock prior to Vegas.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - bfine32 - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 11:37 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not going to say I don't believe you, but previously people were shouted down and called traitors for wanting to ban bump stocks?  I didn't think most people, myself included, ever heard of a bump stock prior to Vegas.

I often refereed to my Bump Stick, but nobody ever wanted that banned. 

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - GMDino - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 11:37 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm not going to say I don't believe you, but previously people were shouted down and called traitors for wanting to ban bump stocks?  I didn't think most people, myself included, ever heard of a bump stock prior to Vegas.

Probably after it was brought up in the public eye.

I didn't know what they were until the Vegas killings but once I was aware it was easy to see why they were popular and unnecessary.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 11:57 AM)GMDino Wrote: Probably after it was brought up in the public eye.

I didn't know what they were until the Vegas killings but once I was aware it was easy to see why they were popular and unnecessary.

Bump stocks are, as I've said numerous times before, a stupid range toy.  You can achieve the same effect with the belt loop on your jeans.  Banning them is a typical political sop to people who will go to bed thinking that something of substance was done.  I've also said this numerous times, politicians like to appear to do things far more than they like actually doing something.  Banning them will have zero effect on firearm related homicides.  Or, as Dean Wormer would say, zero-point-zero.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Belsnickel - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 12:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Bump stocks are, as I've said numerous times before, a stupid range toy.  You can achieve the same effect with the belt loop on your jeans.  Banning them is a typical political sop to people who will go to bed thinking that something of substance was done.  I've also said this numerous times, politicians like to appear to do things far more than they like actually doing something.  Banning them will have zero effect on firearm related homicides.  Or, as Dean Wormer would say, zero-point-zero.

No disagreement here. While I think it was the correct move, it's not like there was a bunch of homicides utilizing bump stocks. This won't have any real, measurable effect on anything.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - GMDino - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 12:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Bump stocks are, as I've said numerous times before, a stupid range toy.  You can achieve the same effect with the belt loop on your jeans.  Banning them is a typical political sop to people who will go to bed thinking that something of substance was done.  I've also said this numerous times, politicians like to appear to do things far more than they like actually doing something.  Banning them will have zero effect on firearm related homicides.  Or, as Dean Wormer would say, zero-point-zero.

(03-26-2019, 12:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No disagreement here. While I think it was the correct move, it's not like there was a bunch of homicides utilizing bump stocks. This won't have any real, measurable effect on anything.

So they were, as I said, unnecessary.  Easy to ban them then since they serve no real purpose. 

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Dill - 03-26-2019

Like Michael, I never heard of these before the Vegas shooting.

But I have to say, if I had paid $425, I'll be damned if I'm going to destroy it with no compensation.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Dill - 03-26-2019

(12-19-2018, 07:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In a move that will cause heads to explode on both sides:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/why-isn-t-nra-screaming-194031827.html

I'll relax when I'm sure this won't be followed by a compensatory bill legalizing fully automatic weapons. LOL

(03-26-2019, 06:21 PM)Dill Wrote: I'll relax when I'm sure this won't be followed by a compensatory bill legalizing fully automatic weapons. LOL

I sometimes wonder if they ever consider repealing the Hughes Amendment to FOPA.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - michaelsean - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 06:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I sometimes wonder if they ever consider repealing the Hughes Amendment to FOPA.

“Let’s see how many people I can make go look up something.”

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - bfine32 - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 06:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I sometimes wonder if they ever consider repealing the Hughes Amendment to FOPA.

That was exactly my first thought

(03-26-2019, 07:46 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That was exactly my first thought

I mean, I'm more okay with that than most people might realize. With legal and restricted access there comes a degree of security in the ability to gatekeep and track things.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - CJD - 03-26-2019

Seems pretty great from the liberal side. Why would our heads explode over this?

(03-26-2019, 12:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: No disagreement here. While I think it was the correct move, it's not like there was a bunch of homicides utilizing bump stocks. This won't have any real, measurable effect on anything.

Eh, I'm just not big on the government banning anything based on knee jerk reaction.

(03-26-2019, 12:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: So they were, as I said, unnecessary.  Easy to ban them then since they serve no real purpose. 

Unnecessary is a rather nebulous term in this regard.  I've heard the exact same word used to describe an AR15 or any other semi-automatic rifle.  Bel has used the term in that way here.

(03-26-2019, 06:20 PM)Dill Wrote: Like Michael, I never heard of these before the Vegas shooting.

But I have to say, if I had paid $425, I'll be damned if I'm going to destroy it with no compensation.

Compensation in these instances is almost never even close to what the citizen paid for the item.  It's partly why you see statistically insignificant rates of compliance when states like MA and NY impose bans and enact mandatory registration/surrender of property.  Well, if I'm being completely honest it's a very small reason in comparison to others.

Not in today's Congress.  I was only slightly hopeful they'd pass the Hearing Protection Act when they controlled both chambers and that didn't even happen.  In regards to firearms laws I'm rather staking my hopes on the SCOTUS and an interpretation of "strict scrutiny" in the recent NYC case.  This seems much more likely/achievable.

(03-26-2019, 07:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: “Let’s see how many people I can make go look up something.”

Yeah, being a liberal policy wonk that likes to shoot things means I have some obscure info like that.

Tl;dr (for those that didn't look it up): That law made almost every automatic firearm (full or burst) not registered on 19 May 1986 illegal for civilian ownership in the US.

(03-26-2019, 07:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not in today's Congress.  I was only slightly hopeful they'd pass the Hearing Protection Act when they controlled both chambers and that didn't even happen.  In regards to firearms laws I'm rather staking my hopes on the SCOTUS and an interpretation of "strict scrutiny" in the recent NYC case.  This seems much more likely/achievable.

I know. It really was a shame about the HPA. I was more than a little perturbed at the discussion around that. They don't do enough to quiet a firearm that you won't need hearing protection, but they will make them too quiet to be heard if used in a crime?

As for the NYC law, I would be shocked if that wasn't overturned. Hell, I'd have been shocked it it wasn't overturned with Kennedy on the bench. It's far too restrictive.

(03-26-2019, 08:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I know. It really was a shame about the HPA. I was more than a little perturbed at the discussion around that. They don't do enough to quiet a firearm that you won't need hearing protection, but they will make them too quiet to be heard if used in a crime?

As for the NYC law, I would be shocked if that wasn't overturned. Hell, I'd have been shocked it it wasn't overturned with Kennedy on the bench. It's far too restrictive.

Agreed and agreed.  The deep blue states are going to ultimately achieve the exact opposite of their goals with these laws.  As Sun Tzu said, never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Benton - 03-26-2019

Bump stocks, trigger cranks, binary triggers. Personally, I'm not a fan of banning any of them. It'll do zero to reduce violence, and it won't do much (if anything) to stop crazy or evil people from shooting people.

And much like the direction they took with the Brady Bill, I fault the NRA and their cash grab. 

Instead of supporting keeping guns out of the hands of *** bags who shouldn't own firearms, or lobbying for increased access to firearm training, the NRA takes the hard line of 'no changes, everyone gets a gun!' Uneducated lawmakers capitalize on that to pass meaningless legislation.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - TheLeonardLeap - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 08:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, being a liberal policy wonk that likes to shoot things means I have some obscure info like that.

I am convinced that people who like to shoot things aren't divided by liberal/conservative, but by people who have already shot things/people who have not. 

If you go plinking/clay shooting/etc even just once, I feel you will have an increased appreciation for the fun of it. Seems to me most of the people who hate guns/shooting have never fired a gun, didn't grow up around them, and their only experience about them are movies and news reports of crimes, are the ones who don't enjoy recreational shooting.