Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jonah Williams Requests Trade (/Thread-Jonah-Williams-Requests-Trade)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Go Cards - 03-20-2023

(03-20-2023, 07:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t see any teams trading for that Mixon contract.

Me either but am hoping for anything, yet am perfectly fine just cutting him as well. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Soonerpeace - 03-20-2023

(03-20-2023, 07:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t see any teams trading for that Mixon contract.

Because the Bengals are sticking with him. Perine would have stayed and they’d made sure of it.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - TheLeonardLeap - 03-20-2023

(03-20-2023, 09:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is not fine money if you fail to honor your contract, it is lost salary so yes the money is removed from the 2023 cap.

Why would the NFL team punish a team for a player not honoring their contract and force then to pay him anyway??

How would faking an injury help his value to 2024 after already having injury concerns? If Jonah wants another contract, he needs to earn it by playing well in 2023.

If you hold out, it IS fine money. That's literally baked into the latest CBA that teams are required to fine players who are under contract for holding out, $50k/day if you're not on a rookie deal, $40k/day if you are on a rookie deal per training camp day absence and for Jonah 1/18th of your salary for each preseason game missed. They are very clearly stated as fines.

It wouldn't help his value, but it would be his only leverage to force his way out while not being fined. Otherwise players under contract don't have too many other plays available to them. He also ended the season hurt and had offseason surgery for that injury, so there's zero chance you can ever prove that he's not actually continuing to need more rehab time, either. Stephon Gilmore did the same thing.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - 007BengalsFan - 03-20-2023

(03-20-2023, 11:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Because the Bengals are sticking with him. Perine would have stayed and they’d made sure of it.

Don't think for one minute if the Bengals come across a capable RB that is cheaper than Mixon that Mixon and his ≃13 million dollar salary wont be cut.  I think Mixon is still a very good RB that had to play behind a subpar O-line the last couple of years.  He would do very well if the line opens up some holes for him instead of letting him get hit in the backfield 50% of the time.  That said Mixon is horrible in pass protection and his salary is too high for what he brings to the team.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - sandwedge - 03-20-2023

(03-20-2023, 11:48 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Don't think for one minute if the Bengals come across a capable RB that is cheaper than Mixon that Mixon and his ≃13 million dollar salary wont be cut.  I think Mixon is still a very good RB that had to play behind a subpar O-line the last couple of years.  He would do very well if the line opens up some holes for him instead of letting him get hit in the backfield 50% of the time.  That said Mixon is horrible in pass protection and his salary is too high for what he brings to the team.

He'd still trip over his own feet, if there was a big hole opened.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Nicomo Cosca - 03-21-2023

(03-20-2023, 11:11 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Because the Bengals are sticking with him. Perine would have stayed and they’d made sure of it.

That’s not why. I don’t believe for a second there would be many suitors for Mixon under his current contract if the Bengals tried shopping him around.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Luvnit2 - 03-21-2023

(03-20-2023, 11:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you hold out, it IS fine money. That's literally baked into the latest CBA that teams are required to fine players who are under contract for holding out, $50k/day if you're not on a rookie deal, $40k/day if you are on a rookie deal per training camp day absence and for Jonah 1/18th of your salary for each preseason game missed. They are very clearly stated as fines.

It wouldn't help his value, but it would be his only leverage to force his way out while not being fined. Otherwise players under contract don't have too many other plays available to them. He also ended the season hurt and had offseason surgery for that injury, so there's zero chance you can ever prove that he's not actually continuing to need more rehab time, either. Stephon Gilmore did the same thing.

I found this.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/27/new-cba-will-make-it-harder-to-hold-out/

Yes, Jonah could fake injury killing his credibility with other teams.

But, my understanding is the team can fine him for 1/17th of his season starting with 1st preseason game. It is team that is forced to fin him 40,000 a day.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/instant-analysis-what-could-bengals-get-potential-jonah-williams-trade#gid=ci02ba7518d000273e&pid=final-verdict

Found this also

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - SHRacerX - 03-21-2023

(03-20-2023, 12:19 PM)Garrus Wrote: People are relying on Carmen to be the RT which is nuts to me. He could be good there I guess, but I wouldn't feel good about him starting there. It's why I wouldn't be surprised if we draft a RT at 28 if a decent one is still available. 

I know he didn't fare well at RG, but he admitted as much about the position differences.  We took it as him making excuses.  He got beat out by Volson, and we hated him even more.  Then, when the team needed him most, he played two really good games at LT in the playoffs.  Suddenly, there was a chance he was right and he is simply better off at tackle.  So, why not the right side?  It is still a different position from guard, and he is much more powerful than Jonah, which most RT need to be maulers for the run game.  

This is Carman's contract year as well.  If he can prove he can play legit RT in this league, his next contract could be upwards of $50 million.  If he doesn't, he will likely get a minimum deal somewhere (else) as a backup.  

I kind of like betting on a guy that has that much to lose.  

Cody Ford can also be the backup RT.  

It sure as hell beats Adeniji or Prince out there at RT and they made a Super Bowl like that.  The improvement on the left side will be huge.

Also, I think Collins will not be cut and will be kept for quality depth down the road.  Maybe his weight and conditioning are a bit better coming off rehab and perhaps the extra time without contact will help his back.  

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - SHRacerX - 03-21-2023

(03-20-2023, 10:11 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Bengals just need to trade Jonah and Mixon for picks and load up in this draft with players on rookie deals.

Since Zac has been here the Bengals have drafted really well and with big contracts looming the herd needs to be thinned anyway
No one is offering anything for Mixon with that contract.  Not a single thing.  

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Sled21 - 03-21-2023

(03-21-2023, 12:36 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I found this.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/27/new-cba-will-make-it-harder-to-hold-out/

Yes, Jonah could fake injury killing his credibility with other teams.

But, my understanding is the team can fine him for 1/17th of his season starting with 1st preseason game. It is team that is forced to fin him 40,000 a day.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/instant-analysis-what-could-bengals-get-potential-jonah-williams-trade#gid=ci02ba7518d000273e&pid=final-verdict

Found this also

Nothing in Jonah's history would point to him not giving his best for the team. He may not want to move to RT, and asking to be traded to where he can remain LT is understandable. If the trade does not happen, I think Jonah is a good enough teammate, and smart enough player, to give it his best and then move on next year. He knows if he doesn't no one will sign him. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Sled21 - 03-21-2023

(03-21-2023, 08:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know he didn't fare well at RG, but he admitted as much about the position differences.  We took it as him making excuses.  He got beat out by Volson, and we hated him even more.  Then, when the team needed him most, he played two really good games at LT in the playoffs.  Suddenly, there was a chance he was right and he is simply better off at tackle.  So, why not the right side?  It is still a different position from guard, and he is much more powerful than Jonah, which most RT need to be maulers for the run game.  

This is Carman's contract year as well.  If he can prove he can play legit RT in this league, his next contract could be upwards of $50 million.  If he doesn't, he will likely get a minimum deal somewhere (else) as a backup.  

I kind of like betting on a guy that has that much to lose.  

Cody Ford can also be the backup RT.  

It sure as hell beats Adeniji or Prince out there at RT and they made a Super Bowl like that.  The improvement on the left side will be huge.

Also, I think Collins will not be cut and will be kept for quality depth down the road.  Maybe his weight and conditioning are a bit better coming off rehab and perhaps the extra time without contact will help his back.  

I amy be wrong, I've never really watched the guy, but something tells me Cody Ford is going to embrace the RT role and take the spot. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - CincyWestside - 03-21-2023

(03-21-2023, 08:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is Carman's contract year as well.  If he can prove he can play legit RT in this league, his next contract could be upwards of $50 million.  If he doesn't, he will likely get a minimum deal somewhere (else) as a backup.  

Carman was drafted in the 2021 draft. His contract year will be next year.

I think he is our best option for RT even if Williams was still here. We have to play the Steelers twice a year and I trust Carman to handle TJ Watt over Williams. Jonah has gotten schooled by Myles Garrett every time we play the Browns, I'd hate to see what Watt would do to him. 

I think the Bengals let Jonah's agent find a short to mid term contract with another team and trade for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Let Carman, Ford, and a possible early pick compete for the starting RT spot. Freeing up the Jonah money I think will allow the Bengals to fill other holes and depth pieces for this season.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Frank Booth - 03-21-2023

Lmfao people really think Carman is better than Jonah

Gotta love bengals fans

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - clawsout - 03-21-2023

(03-17-2023, 08:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The most realistic possible scenarios seem to be:

Patriots: could move Brown back to RT and make Reiff swing tackle. They have a bunch of 4th's and 6th's
Jets: with Becton reportedly moving to RT
Bears: they were in on Orlando, but still have Jones
Titans: signed Dillard to play LT, but maybe they could move him to LG, with Brunskill going to his more natural RG
Rams: could trade Havenstein (who's been rumored on the trade block for 2 years) for Jonah and move Notebloom to RT
Bucs: they'd have find a way to clear 12m more in cap somehow

Steelers need a LT, but I don't think the Bengals would trade with them.

......Thoughts on a trade with N E for Jonah ?.......we get a 4th.....AND Reiff........Reiff would give us solid depth....plus the 4th....

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Rotobeast - 03-21-2023

(03-21-2023, 08:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I amy be wrong, I've never really watched the guy, but something tells me Cody Ford is going to embrace the RT role and take the spot. 
I have that same feeling, for some reason.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - samhain - 03-21-2023

(03-20-2023, 11:48 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Don't think for one minute if the Bengals come across a capable RB that is cheaper than Mixon that Mixon and his ≃13 million dollar salary wont be cut.  I think Mixon is still a very good RB that had to play behind a subpar O-line the last couple of years.  He would do very well if the line opens up some holes for him instead of letting him get hit in the backfield 50% of the time.  That said Mixon is horrible in pass protection and his salary is too high for what he brings to the team.

He sucks in pass pro and he makes 12 mil per to carry the ball 15-20 times a game.  My math isn't great, but that's not exactly good value.  He's an expensive cheerleader at best, and an off-field liability at worst.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - SladeX - 03-21-2023

(03-21-2023, 11:01 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Lmfao people really think Carman is better than Jonah

Gotta love bengals fans

I’d say he’s more physical. Might be a better RT.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - jason - 03-21-2023

(03-21-2023, 11:01 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Lmfao people really think Carman is better than Jonah

Gotta love bengals fans

I'm more amused by the idea that people think they're gonna oblige Jonah Williams' trade request.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Whatever - 03-21-2023

(03-21-2023, 11:09 PM)jason Wrote: I'm more amused by the idea that people think they're gonna oblige Jonah Williams' trade request.

I don't know that they could deal Jonah even if they wanted to.

Seriously, guys like Taylor Lewan, Isaiah Wynn, George Fant, and Eric Fisher are sitting out there in FA.  Who's going to trade for Jonah on effectively a 1 year, $12.5 mil deal with those guys available?  The T market has dried up.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-22-2023

(03-21-2023, 11:09 PM)jason Wrote: I'm more amused by the idea that people think they're gonna oblige Jonah Williams' trade request.

If they could find a deal of value why would they not? If Jonah is stays disgruntled then there is not point in having him in the locker room and I believe that Taylor, his staff, and Tobin take their locker room culture extremely seriously. If they feel that they have solidified the RT position in other ways and find a reasonable taker for a deal then I have no doubt they would make they move.

What Jonah has to realize is that he really have zero leverage in this situation and he can either make things worse or better for himself.