Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! (/Thread-Zac-Taylor-play-calling-is-trash)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Soonerpeace - 11-06-2023

Paul Dehner - The Athletic : Two near-perfect drives to open the game posted a 14-7 lead. The opening offensive scripts from Taylor and the staff have changed the dynamic of the season. They’ve now scored seven touchdowns and a field goal on the first two drives of the last four games. They’ve not relinquished those leads once. They lead the NFL in turning leads into wins the last three years and they know it.

Joe Burrow “ Zac and our coaches come up with a really good script early on to start the games to attack what we are trying to see and we always feel good about it”

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Nicomo Cosca - 11-06-2023

I thought Marvin Lewis was back with all the wasted timeouts, and the debacle with getting the plays in.

The scripted plays at the beginning were nice, but I’ll just say this was not my favorite Zac Taylor game and leave it at that.

(11-06-2023, 08:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought Marvin Lewis was back with all the wasted timeouts, and the debacle with getting the plays in.

The scripted plays at the beginning were nice, but I’ll just say this was not my favorite Zac Taylor game and leave it at that.

The third and 1 was Joe’s fault. He needed to get it snapped. But that happens to every QB.

(11-06-2023, 09:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even if it was that’s only one play. It was a problem throughout the game.

But since you weren’t a Bengals fan until Zac got here I’ll elaborate to explain that when someone compares him to Marvin Lewis in a primetime game (particularly in reference to timeouts and clock management) it’s not a good thing. Wink

I caught that but it wasn’t relative to my response. My response was to one of the penalties and most crucial. Don’t really give two craps about the Marvin Lewis era. And because I wasn’t a fan then I’m in some kids timeout corner. Too damn funny a few of you.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - HarleyDog - 11-06-2023

(11-03-2023, 11:14 AM)Wyche Wrote: I think he is too, and I think ours is better than the hot garbage some fans call him. That was my point, in a smart ass kinda way. LOL

And getting better too.  Cool

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - THE PISTONS - 11-06-2023

Amazing how when stuff works it's a good play call.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - 740Bengal - 11-06-2023

Back to back solid games called by Zac.....but throw the Burrow QB Sneak and Mixon toss play in the TRASH(more so the toss play)... the Mixon toss has needed to be scrapped since the beginning of Zac's tenure.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Wyche'sWarrior - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 10:19 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Back to back solid games called by Zac.....but throw the Burrow QB Sneak and Mixon toss play in the TRASH(more so the toss play)... the Mixon toss has needed to be scrapped since the beginning of Zac's tenure.

They haven't worked, but the fake toss to Mixon and the subsequent rollout for a first down were set up by showing the toss early. 

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Truck_1_0_1_ - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 08:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought Marvin Lewis was back with all the wasted timeouts, and the debacle with getting the plays in.

Those were both on Joe, as he was having difficulty getting people lined up (Evans) and he was the one who called the TOs.

Still, some good playcalls throughout.

(11-06-2023, 10:19 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Back to back solid games called by Zac.....but throw the Burrow QB Sneak and Mixon toss play in the TRASH(more so the toss play)... the Mixon toss has needed to be scrapped since the beginning of Zac's tenure.

The overhead on the sneak looked like he converted it (and he does 90% of the time), so I don't know why you'd scrap it.

Also, speaking of seeing plays again, Allen's knee looked like it was down before the LOS (with the ball on the LOS) when Hendrickson tackled him, so he technically should have a sack.

I surmised on Twitter last night (er, this morning) if the NFL can change stats like they do in baseball, but not sure...

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Sled21 - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 10:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Amazing how when stuff works it's a good play call.

And it's amazing how much better the play calling is when the whole playbook can be used since your QB is not hobbled anymore.

(11-06-2023, 10:38 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Those were both on Joe, as he was having difficulty getting people lined up (Evans) and he was the one who called the TOs.

Still, some good playcalls throughout.

The overhead on the sneak looked like he converted it (and he does 90% of the time), so I don't know why you'd scrap it.

Also, speaking of seeing plays again, Allen's knee looked like it was down before the LOS (with the ball on the LOS) when Hendrickson tackled him, so he technically should have a sack.

I surmised on Twitter last night (er, this morning) if the NFL can change stats like they do in baseball, but not sure...

Safe to say that's why he doesn't see the field much?

(11-06-2023, 10:38 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Those were both on Joe, as he was having difficulty getting people lined up (Evans) and he was the one who called the TOs.

Yeah, I am a little confused how timeouts called by Joe because he doesn't like what he sees or has trouble getting lined up is Taylor's fault.

(11-06-2023, 10:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I am a little confused how timeouts called by Joe because he doesn't like what he sees or has trouble getting lined up is Taylor's fault.

C'mon Sled, it's ALWAYS Zac's fault, lol.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - WeezyBengal - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 08:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought Marvin Lewis was back with all the wasted timeouts, and the debacle with getting the plays in.

ZT did not have a good game last night. 

Communication issues, penalties, what seems like shaking a magic 8 ball on 4th downs on whether to go for it or not, and then some of the play calling when we had the lead was head scratching. Not enough use of Mixon and when we did use him we were doing those ***** bullshit toss plays which I HATE. Just run downhill. 

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - WeezyBengal - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 10:37 AM)Wyche Wrote: They haven't worked, but the fake toss to Mixon and the subsequent rollout for a first down were set up by showing the toss early. 

They ran the toss again later in the 4th when they were trying to put the game away. 

(11-06-2023, 10:59 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: ZT did not have a good game last night. 

Communication issues, penalties, what seems like shaking a magic 8 ball on 4th downs on whether to go for it or not, and then some of the play calling when we had the lead was head scratching. Not enough use of Mixon and when we did use him we were doing those ***** bullshit toss plays which I HATE. Just run downhill. 

The false start on Cappa was legit, but the false start on Zeus I just did not see any movement. 

(11-06-2023, 10:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, I am a little confused how timeouts called by Joe because he doesn't like what he sees or has trouble getting lined up is Taylor's fault.

I learned a long time ago not having all the information is dangerous. I’m guilty too but people on here don’t know the whole story. A very now famous Bengal straightened me out one time. His coach was absolutely villified for a play call resulting in a fourth down stop. The QB said it was my fault I took it upon myself to keep the ball. I thought I could make it. Coach told me not to keep it unless the DE crashed. Of course the stands were furious with the coach and of course he took responsibility not to throw his QB under the bus. Which happens here a ton.

(11-06-2023, 11:01 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They ran the toss again later in the 4th when they were trying to put the game away. 

Yes, and Mixon got the first on it, didn't he? Or was it another play where he got the first and accidentally ran out of bounds?

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Bengalion - 11-06-2023

Had Burrow not undethrown Chase on that play the final score would be more appealing and I'm sure some fans wouldn't be mad at Zac. In my opinion the penalties and that underthrown made the final score look ugly. Going for it on that second 4th down situation was very dumb, should've just kicked the FG or punted the ball, but other than that, I think Zac called a solid game. 5-3, here comes Stroud and Tank Dell.

RE: Zac Taylor play calling is trash! - Housh - 11-06-2023

Yall gotta realize every call isn’t actually designed to work.

That toss is so that defenders stay on the outside for inside runs and play action passes

If we NEVER did tosses or stretches then teams would just pack the box and not guard the edge and they’d be more likely to blow up our play actions