Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase (/Thread-Report-Burrow-pushing-for-Bengals-to-draft-Chase)

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - jason - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 05:02 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: There was definitely talk of him at 9 before we took mega stud John Ross.

Does Joe Burrow still get hurt if we drafted Johnathan Allen at 9 that year?

Has anyone mentioned that Carson Palmer got hurt behind an excellent O line?

Shit happens... I'll be cool if we draft Sewell, but we're far from set offensively. We have no identity, and there is no explosive potential. Nobody on the offensive side of the ball keeps opposing DCs up at night... We've put Burrow on some pedestal, and act like he can just carry this team. He can't. I kept hearing that Burrow can "throw WRs open". Looks a lot easier when those WRs are Jefferson and Chase at the collegiate level.

It may not be to everyone's liking but the O line has been addressed at least somewhat. You can't say the same for the receivers. I keep hearing that we just need a solid number 3 to get us about 600 yards... I think it'd be better if that solid number 3 was the very solid Tyler Boyd.

I'm cool with any of the 3 guys we've decided are most likely to end up here, but I really think Chase is the way to go.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - fredtoast - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 04:07 PM)jason Wrote: It may not be to everyone's liking but the O line has been addressed at least somewhat. You can't say the same for the receivers.

It may not be to everyone's liking but we already had some very good talent at WR.  You can't say the same for the O-line.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Gdale_Bengal - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It may not be to everyone's liking but we already had some very good talent at WR.  You can't say the same for the O-line.

You’re right about the line, but there’s only 2 receivers that are any good one is a 2nd year receiver. Both groups need talent

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 05:55 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: You’re right about the line, but there’s only 2 receivers that are any good one is a 2nd year receiver. Both groups need talent

Yep. The OL has better depth than the WR’s whether folks want to admit it or not. Hakeem Adeniji, Fred Johnson, Billy Price are better than Auden Tate, Mike Thomas, and Stanley Morgan.

(04-04-2021, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It may not be to everyone's liking but we already had some very good talent at WR.  You can't say the same for the O-line.

I can say that the line is better on paper than it was this time last year. I can also say that we chucked the ball like it was going outta style last year, and didn't have a 1000 yard receiver. I can also point out that guard and center are a more pressing need than tackle at the moment. Finally I can point out that FA is for addressing needs. The draft is for acquiring talent.

Again... I'm good with Sewell, Chase, and to a lesser extent Pitts. So I don't care either way. I'm just hoping it's Chase, and an interior O lineman in the 2nd. Hell... Trade back into the first. It's all a wishlist to me. Some of us are testy as hell about it.

Gonna kill Joe Burrow bro!!!!

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Murdock2420 - 04-04-2021

I think the real issue is this team is so void of talent in so many places we actually need, Pitts, Chase and Sewell.

All 3 drastically improve their position group. Just can't get all 3.

(04-04-2021, 06:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think the real issue is this team is so void of talent in so many places we actually need, Pitts, Chase and Sewell.

All 3 drastically improve their position group. Just can't get all 3.

This....

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Murdock2420 - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 06:43 PM)jason Wrote: This....

We do this every year recently. 

And two years in a row I've let myself get sucked into the arguing about things that are pointless. Last year the argument was, can't trade back, Burrow is one of a kind and best in 10 years and blah, blah, blah... He's good, but so is Herbert. So, drafting Burrow turned out okay, and trading back would have turned out okay, hard to judge since you don't know who else gets drafted. But what we should have learned is that we over-sell prospects around here.

This year we again go round and around over 3 guys that are needs but not anyone of the 3 comes in and suddenly makes us a playoff team.

The years under Marvin of winning really spoiled the fans, because we were usually picking later in the 1st round and we weren't so terrible at some many spots.

I think at this point the amount of animosity on the board and the back and forth is just due to everyone wanting the same thing, the team to actually win games. Everyone has valid points on what would help the team win, problem being we need all 3 and then some in terms of solutions.

We need an explosive playmaker that can get deep on a defense and stretch the field.

We need a match-up nightmare that makes our red-zone offense dangerous.

We need a true elite prospect on the line that can be the anchor for years.

We also need... another good Edge rusher to rotate in and another good guy on the interior defensive line to help get push up the middle, and we really don't know if our LBs will develop into guys that can cover/stop the run.

Oh... and we need coaching upgrades.

There is zero point anymore in debating who should be picked. If it's Chase, we fixed a hole. If it's Pitts we fixed a hole, if it's Sewell we fixed a hole. Come 2022, we can look to add an elite guy at the remaining holes.

Meanwhile, how about those Reds?

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Gdale_Bengal - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 07:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: We do this every year recently. 

And two years in a row I've let myself get sucked into the arguing about things that are pointless. Last year the argument was, can't trade back, Burrow is one of a kind and best in 10 years and blah, blah, blah... He's good, but so is Herbert. So, drafting Burrow turned out okay, and trading back would have turned out okay, hard to judge since you don't know who else gets drafted. But what we should have learned is that we over-sell prospects around here.

This year we again go round and around over 3 guys that are needs but not anyone of the 3 comes in and suddenly makes us a playoff team.

The years under Marvin of winning really spoiled the fans, because we were usually picking later in the 1st round and we weren't so terrible at some many spots.

I think at this point the amount of animosity on the board and the back and forth is just due to everyone wanting the same thing, the team to actually win games. Everyone has valid points on what would help the team win, problem being we need all 3 and then some in terms of solutions.

We need an explosive playmaker that can get deep on a defense and stretch the field.

We also need... another good Edge rusher to rotate in and another good guy on the interior defensive line to help get push up the middle, and we really don't know if our LBs will develop into guys that can cover/stop the run.

There is zero point anymore in debating who should be picked. If it's Chase, we fixed a hole. If it's Pitts we fixed a hole, if it's Sewell we fixed a hole. Come 2022, we can look to add an elite guy at the remaining holes.

Reds won the series against a division rival. Awesome.

That’s why I’ll argue both for and against the big 3. They all do something the bengals desperately need. I almost wish the big 3 would get drafted so a team more desperate for a QBs will give the bengals the farm to get one of them. That’s not going to happen, but maybe they can trade a few picks down and still get one of them. They improve a bad position group regardless and still bpa

(04-04-2021, 07:51 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Reds won the series against a division rival. Awesome.

That’s why I’ll argue both for and against the big 3. They all do something the bengals desperately need. I almost wish the big 3 would get drafted so a team more desperate for a QBs will give the bengals the farm to get one of them. That’s not going to happen, but maybe they can trade a few picks down and still get one of them. They improve a bad position group regardless and still bpa

Nick Castellanos made himself a folk hero in town with that series performance.

There is certainly a great deal to be said for trading down.

Jax - Lawrence
Jets - Zach Wilson
San Fran - Lance or Fields
Atlanta - Pitts

This leaves Fields or Lance as the last of the big 4 QBs in the draft. Might really get some good offers from Denver to jump Carolina or Carolina to avoid Denver jumping them.

Certainly would be interesting to see what is there at say 8 or 9 especially if we snag an extra 2nd for the move down.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - coachmcneil71 - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 07:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Nick Castellanos made himself a folk hero in town with that series performance.

Jax - Lawrence
Jets - Zach Wilson
Atlanta - Pitts

This leaves Fields or Lance as the last of the big 4 QBs in the draft. Might really get some good offers from Denver to jump Carolina or Carolina to avoid Denver jumping them.

Certainly would be interesting to see what is there at say 8 or 9 especially if we snag an extra 2nd for the move down.

SF- Mac Jones

(04-04-2021, 07:58 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: SF- Mac Jones

Yikes!

Of course, if they go that way... even better. Maybe we get super lucky and Atlanta feels like they need to groom Lance for a few years or they take Fields who is from Georgia.

That would leave Pitts, Sewell and Chase at 5. Trade to 8 so that someone can come get the last QB, and we'd still get one of the top 3 targets on the board, plus.. additional draft capital.

(04-04-2021, 07:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Nick Castellanos made himself a folk hero in town with that series performance.

Jax - Lawrence
Jets - Zach Wilson
Atlanta - Pitts

You can’t leave out Mac Jones either.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - CarolinaBengalFanGuy - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 04:07 PM)jason Wrote: Has anyone mentioned that Carson Palmer got hurt behind an excellent O line?

Shit happens... I'll be cool if we draft Sewell, but we're far from set offensively. We have no identity, and there is no explosive potential. Nobody on the offensive side of the ball keeps opposing DCs up at night... We've put Burrow on some pedestal, and act like he can just carry this team. He can't. I kept hearing that Burrow can "throw WRs open". Looks a lot easier when those WRs are Jefferson and Chase at the collegiate level.

It may not be to everyone's liking but the O line has been addressed at least somewhat. You can't say the same for the receivers. I keep hearing that we just need a solid number 3 to get us about 600 yards... I think it'd be better if that solid number 3 was the very solid Tyler Boyd.

I'm cool with any of the 3 guys we've decided are most likely to end up here, but I really think Chase is the way to go.

That was a late hit though

(04-04-2021, 08:07 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: That was a late hit though

I missed the flag. Even if it was... Shit happens when big guys are trying to converge on a single player. There isn't a team in the NFL that just drafts linemen every year because their QB got hurt one time.

(04-04-2021, 08:02 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: You can’t leave out Mac Jones either.

I know this is a totally different topic for a totally different thread, but I really question how he will do in the NFL. Throwing to Waddle and Smith with a great defense that can take care of things if you throw a pick is a nice luxury. Be interesting to see if he is as good as he was in college or if he goes the A.J. McCarron route, or just sorta more like Goff type of QB. Not bad.. but not great.

(04-04-2021, 07:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: We do this every year recently. 

Uh huh... We're a bad team. We're sitting in a good spot though. Basically we're guaranteed to get our guy. He just needs to pan out.

I mean hell... We could've drafted Chase Young last year, and sucked under Finley, Allen, and Taylor, and landed Lawrence this year. We got Burrow though, and I'm happy with that. I'll be happy with whoever we get this year too.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Whatever - 04-04-2021

(04-04-2021, 04:07 PM)jason Wrote: Has anyone mentioned that Carson Palmer got hurt behind an excellent O line?

Brady also had a similar injury in '08.

(04-04-2021, 08:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: Brady also had a similar injury in '08.

Exactly... It was bad optics because Mike Jordan (I'm done calling that scrub Michael Jordan) was right there, and that Washington front 4 is gnarly, but it really was a freak occurance... I'm not saying protection isn't important. I'm just saying we could've been bookended by Sewell and Jonah, and that still happens.