Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burfict's penalty??? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burfict's penalty??? (/Thread-Burfict-s-penalty)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Burfict's penalty??? - Millhouse - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 12:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Football 101.......

The rules have changed though on this this last offseason. Yes, one can still hit a receiver within 5 yards of the los if he is in front of him. The ole db chucking the receiver rule. But any hit from the side or back while on a route is now deemed a hit on a defenseless receiver regardless where the receiver is. And on this play, Burfict came in from the side as the receiver was doing a crossing route, or at least from the refs vantage point the side which made it a hit on a defenseless receiver.

I am not saying I agree with the rule or not, but I do think the new rule was enforced properly.

RE: Burfict's penalty??? - Wilikn - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 12:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The rules have changed though on this this last offseason. Yes, one can still hit a receiver within 5 yards of the los if he is in front of him. The ole db chucking the receiver rule. But any hit from the side or back while on a route is now deemed a hit on a defenseless receiver regardless where the receiver is. 

From the side?  Not sure what that means.  Not debating with you.  Just the interpretation.  

Legislating out #55's hit on Bennett last year in NE, okay.  I understand that.  This was not that at all.  In fact, this Sunday's hit probably ends up as a shoulder between the numbers if not for Coleman turning his shoulder to Burfict at the last second.  That caused it to be from the "side", I guess.  Further I'd think this contact was safer than a shoulder between the numbers.  

Does any really think that's a flag on anyone other than #55 in orange and black?

RE: Burfict's penalty??? - Wyche'sWarrior - 11-28-2017

(11-28-2017, 12:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The rules have changed though on this this last offseason. Yes, one can still hit a receiver within 5 yards of the los if he is in front of him. The ole db chucking the receiver rule. But any hit from the side or back while on a route is now deemed a hit on a defenseless receiver regardless where the receiver is. And on this play, Burfict came in from the side as the receiver was doing a crossing route, or at least from the refs vantage point the side which made it a hit on a defenseless receiver.

I am not saying I agree with the rule or not, but I do think the new rule was enforced properly.

I think you're right on that.  From the angle I saw, it looked like he put a shoulder pad to his sternum....and dude's head was turned back to the QB.....but that's only one angle.  Good point.

(11-28-2017, 01:15 PM)Wilikn Wrote: From the side?  Not sure what that means.  Not debating with you.  Just the interpretation.  

Legislating out #55's hit on Bennett last year in NE, okay.  I understand that.  This was not that at all.  In fact, this Sunday's hit probably ends up as a shoulder between the numbers if not for Coleman turning his shoulder to Burfict at the last second.  That caused it to be from the "side", I guess.  Further I'd think this contact was safer than a shoulder between the numbers.  

Does any really think that's a flag on anyone other than #55 in orange and black?

If you watch the video of it, the receiver is running a crossing route parallel with the yard line. Burfict comes in at 90 degrees when he hit him running north-south, as opposed to being directly in front of him. 

The question to me is if Burfict did hit him head on, would the flag still be thrown? I dont know, but guessing probably.

(11-28-2017, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think you're right on that.  From the angle I saw, it looked like he put a shoulder pad to his sternum....and dude's head was turned back to the QB.....but that's only one angle.  Good point.

Well the hit was a clean hit so to speak. Burficts left shoulder pad into the receivers shoulder pad. If he had gone higher than what he did, he would be suspended.

I just look at their feet and their direction. Receiver was going east-west, Burfict north-south when he made the hit. 

What gets me though is why even do it in the first place, after being suspended from that preseason hit. And this one I would argue was more from the side than that one was on a 'defenseless receiver' within 5 yards off the line running a route.

RE: Burfict's penalty??? - grampahol - 11-28-2017

Quote:The NFL is clearly all about player safety now 
That's rich..if it were true they'd cancel the season and end the game forever..  They're all about making money and if a few guys are killed in the process, oh well..The cost of doing business..

RE: Burfict's penalty??? - Sled21 - 11-29-2017

Over/Under on Burfict getting a UC flag in the first ten minutes of the Stealers game?????