Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jonah Williams Requests Trade (/Thread-Jonah-Williams-Requests-Trade)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-25-2023

(03-24-2023, 05:50 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 3.9 ypc is great, I agree

I didn't say great, I said good enough. 

Perhaps you missed that 10 game winning streak? Or almost beating KC (again) despite missing Jonah, Cappa, & Collins. Not to mention Chido & Boyd. 

Perhaps you also missed the fact we upgraded LT with a guy who has been to 4 straight pro-bowls & just won a SB without giving up a post-season sack. And has not given up a PS sack in 4 of the 5 pist-seasons he's played in. RT is better as well with a healthy Jonah. An emerging Carman would also be an improvement, as would a healthier Collins.

I'd love a stud RT at #28 or a stud IOL at #60, but the need isn't nearly what TE is at the moment. Or CB.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Soonerpeace - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 12:17 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I didn't say great, I said good enough. 

Perhaps you missed that 10 game winning streak? Or almost beating KC (again) despite missing Jonah, Cappa, & Collins. Not to mention Chido & Boyd. 

It’s funny the 10 game win streak and the dominant Bills win were a nothing burger lol in some posters eyes. Or even losing to KC late on an uncharacteristic big punt return given up or personal foul late.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 12:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: It’s funny the 10 game win streak and the dominant Bills win were a nothing burger lol in some posters eyes.

Only the blind ones....

(03-25-2023, 12:23 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Only the blind ones....

Doesn’t fit their narrative

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Frank Booth - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 12:17 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I didn't say great, I said good enough. 

Perhaps you also missed the fact we upgraded LT with a guy who has been to 4 straight pro-bowls & just won a SB without giving up a post-season sack. And has not given up a PS sack in 4 of the 5 pist-seasons he's played in. RT is better as well with a healthy Jonah. An emerging Carman would also be an improvement, as would a healthier Collins.

I'd love a stud RT at #28 or a stud IOL at #60, but the need isn't nearly what TE is at the moment. Or CB.

3.9 and 4.1 is not good enough

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Synric - 03-25-2023

That 2020 Second round was full of OL meh and duds.

Teven Jenkins had a nice year as a run blocker at Guard for the Bears. If they ever start passing we will see how his pass blocking develops
Liam Eichenberg has made Jackson Carman Quenton Nelson.
Samuel Cosmi has been meh at tackle they want to move him to guard but he's kinda tall and plays upright.
Aaron Banks has been in a great system but has been a meh run blocker on a run first play action team.
Josh Myers went 1 pick before Humphry lol. He's been meh.
Dillon Radunz Im not sure he has even played. I know they don't want him too lol.
Walker Little is probably going to be the starting RT next year. He's played well in a reserve role.
Jackson Carman we know....

There was an Alabama player that year right Evan Neal?

Edit: Not Neal it was Landon Dickerson who has played well for the Eagles

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - rfaulk34 - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 12:27 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Is this an all in year? Somebody better let the Bengals know that because they don't appear to be thinking that. I think Carman showed potential but that's hard to bank on. I say draft oline in 1 and hopefully build the oline up for the future.

It's not an all in year in the sense it was for the Rams 2 seasons ago where they acquire talent by any means possible with no regard for the future. I believe they are 'all in' every year by adding and subtracting to the team while not mortgaging the future. 

(03-25-2023, 01:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not an all in year in the sense it was for the Rams 2 seasons ago where they acquire talent by any means possible with no regard for the future. I believe they are 'all in' every year by adding and subtracting to the team while not mortgaging the future. 

Exactly… staying Uber competitive is key to keeping Joe and friends. Buffalo went all in with Von Miller and when Brandon Beane Buffalo GM woke up Monday morning for his post season presser after the Bengals loss he melted down. In my discussion with Issac Curtis on here it’s like the 10 game win streak, Buffalo win, and last minute loss to SB champion KC didn’t exist. We are close and look to be for awhile. LAR was a one hit wonder. They aren’t going to be good for awhile and could easily lost to us if not for some pass interference calls.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - rfaulk34 - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 01:17 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Exactly… staying Uber competitive is key to keeping Joe and friends. Buffalo went all in with Von Miller and when Brandon Beane Buffalo GM woke up Monday morning for his post season presser after the Bengals loss he melted down. In my discussion with Issac Curtis on here it’s like the 10 game win streak, Buffalo win, and last minute loss to SB champion KC didn’t exist. We are close and look to be for awhile. LAR was a one hit wonder. They aren’t going to be good for awhile and could easily lost to us if not for some pass interference calls.

I haven't really gotten that sense but it's not something i've really looked for. Since i know me better than i know anyone else, when i talk about the Oline, they've been "good enough" as we've said, to win games and compete for SBs. It's been the quality of depth that has hurt them in the post season. As far as the starters go, "good enough" is ok but it certainly leaves room for improvement so that they're better than good enough, and that's something i'm sure we all want. 

My critiques about the Oline are not to dismiss or lessen what they've done, it's to try and improve and get beyond "good enough". That's what i was saying in my post about drafting a RT @28 regardless of who is currently on the roster because after someone wins the job, it improves the depth. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - 007BengalsFan - 03-25-2023

We lost to the Chiefs because of 2 reasons and we need to address those 2 issues because we will undoubtedly face the Chiefs again in the playoffs. The first issue is the O-line and O-line depth wasnt good enough. We struggled against Baltimore and would have lost that game if not for a defensive TD and we struggled against K.C. and didnt have the defense scoring another TD to bail the offense out. O-line and depth need improved. This shouldnt be a question for anybody. Signing Brown was a start but more needs to be done.

The second issue is we were unable to get to Patrick Mahomes and he had way too much time in the pocket to make plays happen. You cant give QBs that much time in the NFL or you are going to pay the price. The defense for all its success does not generate a good enough pass rush. We need another player on the D-line that can get to the QB.

These are the two main issues that need addressed before the season, either through free agency or more likely, the draft. Not having an elite TE or RB wasnt the cause for the loss. It was not enough talent on the O-line and D-line.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Joelist - 03-25-2023

Jonah’s career numbers

2020 - Run Block 53.4 Pass Block 75.8

2021 - Run Block 79.8 Pass Block 68.8

2022 - Run Block 49.9 Pass Block 63.9

Brown’s career numbers

2018 - Rats RT - Run Block 61.8 Pass Block 73.5

2019 - Rats RT - Run Block 59.4 Pass Block 82.5

2020 - Rats RT - Run Block 73.0 Pass Block 76.7

2021 - Chiefs LT - Run Block 67.0 Pass Block 76.1

2022 - Chiefs LT - Run Block 69.1 Pass Block 77.2

Arguing is more fun with the numbers handy :)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - DYT_Bengal - 03-25-2023

Are there any knocks on Darnell Wright? Why would a quality RT still be available at #28?

(03-25-2023, 01:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I haven't really gotten that sense but it's not something i've really looked for. Since i know me better than anyone else, when i talk about the Oline, they've been "good enough" as we've said, to win games and compete for SBs. It's been the quality of depth that has hurt them in the post season. As far as the starters go, "good enough" is ok but it certainly leaves room for improvement so that they're better than good enough, and that's something i'm sure we all want. 

My critiques about the Oline are not to dismiss or lessen what they've done, it's to try and improve and get beyond "good enough". That's what i was saying in my post about drafting a RT @28 regardless of who is currently on the roster because after someone wins the job, it improves the depth. 

And to be clear I was just referring to the post I highlighted. I agree with all this.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Go Cards - 03-25-2023

(03-24-2023, 04:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with everything except the Safety part.
I think we got Hill and Scott as the starters with Thomas and Anderson as the backups. That may not be great, but it should be solid.
TE, on the other hand, is atrocious. The only dude of any possible chance is Asiasi, but he needs to show he can block if he wants to see the field.
When dealing with the likes of these juggernaut passing offenses like the Chiefs, Bills, Chargers, Eagles, and Cowboys, the Bengals will need a healthy stable of CBs. If Awuzie or CTB goes down, it's Jalen Davis or Allan George. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with that. An early draft pick at CB or re-signing Apple would make me feel better about the CBs.

Agree and stand corrected. Am actually higher on Scott than most being he just started playing position and was all in on Hill in draft last year. But would've liked seeing Hill get more work and he seemed to make mental mistakes at times. 

Yet dude is fast to the ball and think potentially he could be one of the best we've ever had if grasping fully. 

Have always just accepted that Apple would be brought back into the fold, but his mouth, price or both may be keeping Zac from wanting him back. Yet suspect if the price is right then he will be in stripes again. 

If not then agree that CB is a major need as well even though I'm very stoked about Awuzie and CTB being the starters with Hilton in the mix. Need one still even if Apple is brought back imo and why I listed it as a need. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 03-25-2023

(03-24-2023, 04:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The last 2 years have been "good enough" years for the Oline. That hasn't worked. If a RT that is a projected day 1 starter is there, take him. No need to be basing decisions on 'what ifs'. 

If you're looking at Brown at LT and Carman backing him up and someone like Wright at RT with Collins backing him up, that's solid. If Jonah is still in the mix, all the better but i'd prefer to get something for him. 

Oh yeah, if Darnell Wright is there, you take him. He is being taken in the teens though lately so it is likely he is not there.

DaWand Jones, Bergeron and Harrison all have their weaknesses more so than Wright though.

If Wright isn't there it might be a good move to trade back and add one of them instead of staying pat and taking one.

I would like to add one and a pick if I could.

But if not and we pick say Darnell Washington instead, we just have to hope that between Carman and whoever we have the answer at RT.

(03-24-2023, 06:16 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: thanks. Volson is still meh. It's not even an argument, frankly

For a 4th round rookie OL, he was anything but meh...

Now Carman his first season and a half was meh...

Thankfully he improved in the Playoffs big time.

(03-25-2023, 12:10 AM)BengalFanInCanada Wrote: And he might improve . It has happen before.

Fully expect Volson to improve big time. Going from such a small college, becoming a starter as a rookie, taking on the big dogs 
and not being overwhelmed, improving as the year went on, the dude plays nasty and likes to lay defenders out etc.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 02:25 PM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: Are there any knocks on Darnell Wright? Why would a quality RT still be available at #28?

First because of the top level OTs that are projected ahead of him that most likely could line up at LT or RT and he has some slight technique issues that he needs to clean up such as lapses in hand usage albeit his '22 film was certainly improved. As well, the number of players in other positions that are projected to go first round.

(03-25-2023, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Oh yeah, if Darnell Wright is there, you take him. He is being taken in the teens though lately so it is likely he is not there.

DaWand Jones, Bergeron and Harrison all have their weaknesses more so than Wright though.

If Wright isn't there it might be a good move to trade back and add one of them instead of staying pat and taking one.

I would like to add one and a pick if I could.

But if not and we pick say Darnell Washington instead, we just have to hope that between Carman and whoever we have the answer at RT.

For a 4th round rookie OL, he was anything but meh...

Now Carman his first season and a half was meh...

Thankfully he improved in the Playoffs big time.

Fully expect Volson to improve big time. Going from such a small college, becoming a starter as a rookie, taking on the big dogs 
and not being overwhelmed, improving as the year went on, the dude plays nasty and likes to lay defenders out etc.

Oh, Nate...

Take the 4th round rookie part out of the equation for a second and realize he was a below average guard who was closer to bad than good

Will he improve? I hope so. Doesn’t take away that he wasn’t good last year compared to starting guards

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Bengalbug - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 03:23 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Oh, Nate...

Take the 4th round rookie part out of the equation for a second and realize he was a below average guard who was closer to bad than good

Will he improve? I hope so. Doesn’t take away that he wasn’t good last year compared to starting guards

Didn’t help Jonah was hurt (dog doodoo) all year. You as well as anyone should know that when it comes to OL the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

If not for injuries, bengals would have at least been to two straight sb.

(03-25-2023, 03:35 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Didn’t help Jonah was hurt (dog doodoo) all year. You as well as anyone should know that when it comes to OL the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I mean, Karras and Cappa were good. LC was at least a good run blocker

Volson just wasn’t good. Was he a liability? Overall, no. He wasn’t terrible. But he wasn’t good either.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - 007BengalsFan - 03-25-2023

Volson was worse than Spain. I would have rather had Spain back at LG and let Volson sit while he learns.