Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase (/Thread-Report-Burrow-pushing-for-Bengals-to-draft-Chase)

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - fredtoast - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 07:13 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Larry Ogunjobi  replaced Geno 

And then the one place you can call it an upgrade is they sign Reiff and cut Hart.

It is amazing the mental gymnastics some people will go through in order to get their whine on.

Ogunjobi.....46 tkls.....12 pressures....5 TFL
Atkins.......... 1 tkl....... 1 pressure......0 TFL

No upgrade there at all Hilarious

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - rfaulk34 - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 12:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm tired of seeing these types of posts. Just because there's examples of guys getting hurt behind great lines = we shouldn't try to have a great line? You're better than this.

1. Having a good/great line massively improves the chances of your guy not getting hurt. Fewer hits and sacks = fewer opportunities to get injured. It's really simple.

2. This isn't just about keeping Burrow healthy (which is clearly huge). It's also about the run game ranking 31st in yards/carry last year. Better blocking = better run game...which leads to shorter 3rd downs. Shorter 3rd downs help Burrow and the entire offense.

3. It's also about the deep passing game. Better blocking = more time to throw and let routes develop so guys are open. This will lead to more explosive plays, which will also lead to safeties not crowding up as much, which will lead to more open guys inside 10 yards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Football is all about chain reactions. If the line is really good and you have a good QB, things tend to snowball from there.

This is why if you look at the last couple decades of SB winners, you aren't going to see many names like Megatron, Fitzgerald, Moss, Chad, AJ Green, Julio, etc. You're going to see elite QB's with good lines blocking for them.

We've been trying the QB/WR tandem thing for a long time now. Blake to Pickens. Carson to Chad. Dalton to Green. Now we want Burrow to Chase? If Burrow is going to be an elite QB, those guys cycle through WR's. Think of Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Ben. How many WR's have those guys gone through?

The funny thing, for me is that, no matter who we take--Chase/Sewell--i'm gonna be super happy but i'm also gonna be disappointed we didn't get the other guy. Weird...

But yes, i said it before; as much as i would love to have Chase, it's just so much smarter to get Sewell and then the WR in 2. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Synric - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 08:27 PM)Au165 Wrote: Which says Pitts is in play to me...

I’m #teamPitts

Playmakers are playmakers Gotta go BPA.

I'm #teamPitts

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 10:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If one side gets mad, that doesn't make them wrong, either. Time will tell...if we take Chase and the line stays a problem.

I feel like some of you are trying to paint the other side as unreasonable, but the "unreasonable" side may be right in the end.

I mean, we could take Sewell and the line could still remain a problem...

Going from the PAC-12 to the AFC North (with guys like Garrett, Watt, etc) is going to be quite an adjustment. Sewell certainly has the higher upside, but if we truly want the more immediate help it might be Slater.

Idk, I’ve said it multiple times, but I’m glad I’m not Tobin. It’s going to be a tough choice no matter what.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Shake n Blake - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 10:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The funny thing, for me is that, no matter who we take--Chase/Sewell--i'm gonna be super happy but i'm also gonna be disappointed we didn't get the other guy. Weird...

But yes, i said it before; as much as i would love to have Chase, it's just so much smarter to get Sewell and then the WR in 2. 

I'll be more happy with Sewell - obviously - but I'd love to have Chase. I've wondered if there's some way we could trade up to get him...but I just don't think it'd be worth the cost. Maybe Boyd + 2nd + next year's 1st could git 'er done? I doubt it though.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Shake n Blake - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 10:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I mean, we could take Sewell and the line could still remain a problem...

Going from the PAC-12 to the AFC North (with guys like Garrett, Watt, etc) is going to be quite an adjustment. Sewell certainly has the higher upside, but if we truly want the more immediate help it might be Slater.

Idk, I’ve said it multiple times, but I’m glad I’m not Tobin. It’s going to be a tough choice no matter what.

I've considered whether or not we should trade down for Slater and pick up another pick or two. This team has plenty of holes.

(04-05-2021, 04:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not counting Gronk as a pass catcher is silly, but ok Edelman was there for half of the NE Super Bowl’s so the original comment I responded to claiming Brady just won his first one without a bunch of nobodies was not true.

Anyway, like I said before, expecting any QB to recreate what Brady did is not a sound strategy. You need to give your QB good OL play and plenty of weapons.

Look at Rodgers in GB. They’ve ignored the skill positions for years there. Maybe if they’d actually give Rodgers another weapon to play with Adams one of the most talented QB’s to ever play the game would have more than a single ring.

You. Need. Both.

Belichick has never been a big WR coach. TE, slot and RB all factor in their passing offense. And it's true, they have a focus on being strong in the trenches. 

It would be silly to say they won so much with "no name" anything though. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 10:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Belichick has never been a big WR coach. TE, slot and RB all factor in their passing offense. And it's true, they have a focus on being strong in the trenches. 

Which is funny since he brought in Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and Antonio Brown... Tongue

(04-05-2021, 10:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which is funny since he brought in Randy Moss, Chad Johnson, and Antonio Brown... Tongue

He was just testing the waters to prove his point. 

Moss just messed everything up. Ninja

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Mike M (the other one) - 04-06-2021

(03-29-2021, 06:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The LSU O-line was elite.

If Joe could make an offense go without a good O-line then he would not have been the 25th ranked QB in the league.  Boyd, Higgens, and Mixon are all good skill position players.

No they were not Elite, they were solid.

25th in half a season, not bad considering Rookie year and short Training camp, and he was on par to finish much higher than that.

I say give him the weapons and let him loose.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - BengalsRocker - 04-06-2021

(04-05-2021, 10:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I've considered whether or not we should trade down for Slater and pick up another pick or two. This team has plenty of holes.

I think that is a good debate point.

If we're going trenches... wouldn't THAT be the better way to go?

Maybe pick up an edge rusher while solidifying the line?

BTW I'm more of the team Chase/Pitts but I wouldn't cry if they decided to go this route.

If they do, they need to choose wisely otherwise they could be stuck with a bunch of mediocrity and nothing of value gained from doing so.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - yang - 04-06-2021

I haven't seen much said about the type of defenses teams will be forced to play if we add Chase vs Sewell. Teams can still load the box and blitz a lot if we draft Sewell and the point of Chase is to make them pay for that error.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Whatever - 04-06-2021

(04-05-2021, 10:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Belichick has never been a big WR coach. TE, slot and RB all factor in their passing offense. And it's true, they have a focus on being strong in the trenches. 

They also cheated like crazy, which is another thing people keep overlooking.  Goodell would probably make the Bengals forfeit their next 5 1st round picks for something like Spygate.  

Another big issue is people are citing success that happened before the recent crackdown on OPI.  Anquan Boldin used to push off a ton and got away with it in his day, but would be nowhere near as effective with how tight OPI is called now.  Similarly, teams used to run blatant pick plays to cover up for limited WR talent.  While you can still run rub routes, you can't get away with guys just obviously impeding the DB's anymore.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 10:36 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: No they were not Elite, they were solid.

25th in half a season, not bad considering Rookie year and short Training camp, and he was on par to finish much higher than that.

I say give him the weapons and let him loose.

Burrow was actually 24th in passer rating, not 25th.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - J24 - 04-06-2021

(04-05-2021, 10:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is amazing the mental gymnastics some people will go through in order to get their whine on.

Ogunjobi.....46 tkls.....12 pressures....5 TFL
Atkins.......... 1 tkl....... 1 pressure......0 TFL

No upgrade there at all Hilarious

You realize Geno was hurt last season right? Also Geno is a HOF DT it's going to take more than one guy to replace him.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - BobJohnson55 - 04-06-2021

I'm leery about taking Sewell. Another tackle out of Oregon who hasn't played in a year and didn't play that great of competition. He's going to take some time. If we took chase I'd be more at ease knowing how Tee Higgins did in his first year right out the gate. Plus there's good 2nd round lineman who can be groomed up.

If I heard sewells name called I'd be like ok,but then worry about receiver. I would love to take Pitts over chase but then you'd have to cover o line and wide receiver. Even though Pitts would change how defenses play us.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - bengals67 - 04-06-2021

I'm taking o line with one and two if I was GM.

Big Ben wouldn't have been so great without a running game and an o line that until last year that has been consistently a top 5 line.

We are not winning Super Bowl next year or the year afterwards. Team is at least two years away.

They cannot fix everything so I am putting all my chips on establishing a running game and protecting Burrow.

I might feel differently if they had signed a top free agent guard but they didn't .

You don't pass on someone who might be a Hall of Fame left tackle for someone who might e a hall of fame WR,

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - BobJohnson55 - 04-06-2021

(04-06-2021, 02:02 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I'm taking o line with one and two if I was GM.

Big Ben wouldn't have been so great without a running game and an  o line that until last year that has been consistently a top 5 line.

We are not winning Super Bowl next year or the year afterwards. Team is at least two years away.

They cannot fix everything so I am putting all my chips on establishing a running game and protecting Burrow.

I might feel differently if they had signed a top free agent guard but they didn't .

You don't pass on someone who might be a Hall of Fame left tackle for someone who might e a hall of fame 
You'd feel differently if they took a guard? And Sewell is a tackle. You can draft a guard in the 2nd or 3rd,heck you can probably find another one off the street at some point like we did with that one guard who came late. Honestly I think people want sewell so bad because he reminds them of Anthony Munoz in looks. Not exactly play. 

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - BleedNOrange - 04-06-2021

"There will be guys available in the second round, third round that we have starter grades on." -Duke Tobin

Sounding more and more like Chase.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1379200826661597184

(04-06-2021, 02:25 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: "There will be guys available in the second round, third round that we have starter grades on." -Duke Tobin

Sounding more and more like Chase.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Baby/status/1379200826661597184

Yep I'm not a fan of the 2nd round receivers taking a lot of snaps,some of them are short and meant to be in the slot also. There's a couple guys in the 3rd but that's even a big risk. Chase just seems like plug and play. And I don't even think chase will be elite or have break away speed needed ,he's just faster then what we have and can help with deep balls.