Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jonah Williams Requests Trade (/Thread-Jonah-Williams-Requests-Trade)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - NUGDUKWE - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 01:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's not an all in year in the sense it was for the Rams 2 seasons ago where they acquire talent by any means possible with no regard for the future. I believe they are 'all in' every year by adding and subtracting to the team while not mortgaging the future. 

When is the future? I know we are different than the Chiefs. But that organization gets it. Every year has the potential to be the year with Mahomes. Just like with Burrow. The Chiefs are trying to push the envelope every year. We should be doing the same. Just not sure what future we are afraid of mortgaging. When Higgins leaves when more of our defense moves on or ages out. This was a very disappointing FA. I feel like we are back to the pre Taylor years of our holes increasing from end of the season to draft. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Frank Booth - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 04:05 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Volson was worse than Spain. I would have rather had Spain back at LG and let Volson sit while he learns.

That’s an opinion that gets people irrationally riled up lol

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 04:14 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: When is the future? I know we are different than the Chiefs. But that organization gets it. Every year has the potential to be the year with Mahomes. Just like with Burrow. The Chiefs are trying to push the envelope every year. We should be doing the same. Just not sure what future we are afraid of mortgaging. When Higgins leaves when more of our defense moves on or ages out. This was a very disappointing FA. I feel like we are back to the pre Taylor years of our holes increasing from end of the season to draft. 

Who do you believe the Bengals should have gotten in free agency? Why was this free agency period so disappointing?

I take no issue with it. We went after the biggest weakness and that was O line and the move the made was a really strong one. We drafted to replace Bates knowing this move was coming and you could say the same with Bell but they then went a step further and got Nick Scott as well to fill the Bell void. 

One of the best moves in free agency was getting Pratt back which many felt was not going to happen. 

(03-25-2023, 04:35 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Who do you believe the Bengals should have gotten in free agency? Why was this free agency period so disappointing?

I take no issue with it. We went after the biggest weakness and that was O line and the move the made was a really strong one. We drafted to replace Bates knowing this move was coming and you could say the same with Bell but they then went a step further and got Nick Scott as well to fill the Bell void. 

One of the best moves in free agency was getting Pratt back which many felt was not going to happen. 

Well more than anything it seemed poorly planned. Bates we all saw coming and with as quick as Bell signed the team should've seen coming. They did sign Scott but the safety position has gotten worse. Then Hurst goes and we let a relatively cheap TE market go by letting an already decent draft need get bigger. Then yes we did sign Brown and it did get me pumped. But between the Jonah requesting the trade and the fact Browns camp had to reach out to us leaves me with a do we even have a plan thought in my head. Then tie in a Perine signs elsewhere and again we've just been doing nothing. Even though I'm personally fine going with what we have and drafting a mid Rd guy but that is more needs that need to be filled in the draft. I know we're all Bengals fans but I think looking at this off-season as it sits today from an outside perspective is a bit troubling. Especially considering we could be pushing for a superbowl.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - bengals1969 - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 04:51 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well more than anything it seemed poorly planned. Bates we all saw coming and with as quick as Bell signed the team should've seen coming. They did sign Scott but the safety position has gotten worse. Then Hurst goes and we let a relatively cheap TE market go by letting an already decent draft need get bigger. Then yes we did sign Brown and it did get me pumped. But between the Jonah requesting the trade and the fact Browns camp had to reach out to us leaves me with a do we even have a plan thought in my head. Then tie in a Perine signs elsewhere and again we've just been doing nothing. Even though I'm personally fine going with what we have and drafting a mid Rd guy but that is more needs that need to be filled in the draft. I know we're all Bengals fans but I think looking at this off-season as it sits today from an outside perspective is a bit troubling. Especially considering we could be pushing for a superbowl.

I see things differently. The Oline is now in the best shape it’s been since Whit was around. Keep Jonah and let he and Carman slug it out for starting RT. Depth at tackle is now excellent. Weakness at safety is a calculated risk. Weakness at CB and safety can be addressed at draft.

(03-25-2023, 04:51 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well more than anything it seemed poorly planned. Bates we all saw coming and with as quick as Bell signed the team should've seen coming. They did sign Scott but the safety position has gotten worse. Then Hurst goes and we let a relatively cheap TE market go by letting an already decent draft need get bigger. Then yes we did sign Brown and it did get me pumped. But between the Jonah requesting the trade and the fact Browns camp had to reach out to us leaves me with a do we even have a plan thought in my head. Then tie in a Perine signs elsewhere and again we've just been doing nothing. Even though I'm personally fine going with what we have and drafting a mid Rd guy but that is more needs that need to be filled in the draft. I know we're all Bengals fans but I think looking at this off-season as it sits today from an outside perspective is a bit troubling. Especially considering we could be pushing for a superbowl.

The TE market was far from cheap but since you feel they did not manage it properly which TE do you feel they missed on? How do you propose to ever put drafted talent on the field if your plan is to sign free agents to play in front of them? We drafted Dax Hill for a reason as well as Tycen Anderson. Scott and Anderson will battle to take the place of Bell.

Are you saying we should have signed Perine at nearly 4 mil a year to be a backup RB? We brought Trayveon Williams back at just over 1 mil a year.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Luvnit2 - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 04:14 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: When is the future? I know we are different than the Chiefs. But that organization gets it. Every year has the potential to be the year with Mahomes. Just like with Burrow. The Chiefs are trying to push the envelope every year. We should be doing the same. Just not sure what future we are afraid of mortgaging. When Higgins leaves when more of our defense moves on or ages out. This was a very disappointing FA. I feel like we are back to the pre Taylor years of our holes increasing from end of the season to draft. 

Bad example. Chiefs lost #1 WR Smith, and lost their starting RT and LT (to us). What have they done to replace their starting LT, they over paid a RT and plan to switch him to LT, still not starting RT on the roster and many other holes as well.

Are you sure you are not really a closet Chiefs fan?

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Fan_in_Kettering - 03-25-2023

Jonah Williams is going to regret asking for a trade. Right now, on the last depth chart I saw, he is penciled in as the starting right tackle. I know he wants to play left tackle but, well, maybe it’s his injuries, but I don’t think that’s his natural position. I would rather move from left tackle to right tackle on a Super Bowl contender than be traded to a crappy team.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - rfaulk34 - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  we just have to hope that between Carman and whoever we have the answer at RT.

That's the exact thing that has caused that final game L the last 2 years. 

Hope isn't a strategy. 

(03-25-2023, 05:17 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I see things differently. The Oline is now in the best shape it’s been since Whit was around. Keep Jonah and let he and Carman slug it out for starting RT. Depth at tackle is now excellent. Weakness at safety is a calculated risk. Weakness at CB and safety can be addressed at draft.

Okay if we keep Jonah I will be confident in that. But that is a big question mark and even if he remains and it gets worked out this is his last year and we should probably be drafting his replacement. If he leaves than we definitely need to be drafting a RT because we really can't be going into the season counting on Carman. I'm not so sure on the calculated risk at safety. I mean I guess we didn't want to pay what was needed. But on a team that got where it was in large part due to the defense the offense better get a lot more consistent. CB can be addressed in the draft but it most likely needs to be early and again just part of a list of needs that has grown since the end of the season.

(03-25-2023, 05:28 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The TE market was far from cheap but since you feel they did not manage it properly which TE do you feel they missed on? How do you propose to ever put drafted talent on the field if your plan is to sign free agents to play in front of them? We drafted Dax Hill for a reason as well as Tycen Anderson. Scott and Anderson will battle to take the place of Bell.

Are you saying we should have signed Perine at nearly 4 mil a year to be a backup RB? We brought Trayveon Williams back at just over 1 mil a year.

Looking back at the TE market there was really only a few big signings. A lot of guys that signed cheap contracts that would most likely be a downgrade over Hurst but we don't really use a TE that much. I'm fine with the TE position with a mid Rd pick but with the state it is right now I could see the team drafting a guy in the 1st or 2nd Rd which is something I wouldn't want to do. I'm not saying don't let the drafted talent play. Dax was gonna be starting this year regardless if we signed Bell or not. The only thing I was hoping for in FA was to keep our needs at the same level after the season and instead I believe they have grown. I was fine with Perine as I said I'm fine with the guys we have and drafting a mid rd guy. I am just curious whats going to happen with the Mixon situation.

(03-25-2023, 05:37 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bad example. Chiefs lost #1 WR Smith, and lost their starting RT and LT (to us). What have they done to replace their starting LT, they over paid a RT and plan to switch him to LT, still not starting RT on the roster and many other holes as well.

Are you sure you are not really a closet Chiefs fan?

Not a closet Chiefs fan. But they do push the envelope. I just want what they have which I believe Burrow can match Mahomes but we don't have the front office that pushes the envelope like they do. I know people want to say we've beaten them 3 out of the last 4. But I want a Superbowl win and like it or not the AFC goes thru them. I also have a bad feeling that beating them just got a whole lot harder letting our 2 starting safeties walk.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - RASCAL - 03-25-2023

(03-17-2023, 11:43 AM)Tomcat Wrote: https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/03/bengals-lt-jonah-williams-requests-trade

BYE!!!! don't let the turnstile hit you in the ass.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - wanga - 03-25-2023

I’d just hope Jonah would want to stay and fight it out to be the best player he can be. Not a fan of players wanting a trade because someone else comes in and takes their spot.
I realise that’s a bit simplistic but Jonah could make our oline better by staying.

(03-25-2023, 05:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's the exact thing that has caused that final game L the last 2 years. 

Hope isn't a strategy. 

This is what killed us after Whit left. We just kept hoping the Oline players we had in house would develop and improve but it didn't really materialize. Getting the guys in FA last year really helped and for about half a sec the Brown signing gave me good thoughts. But the Jonah requested a trade and I'm afraid we'll go into the 1st round with hopes that things will workout and pass up a guy that could solidfy the RT position for not only this year but the next several. I'm even worried about Volson. He did what was asked of him his 1st year and I'd hate to replace him but we are hoping he improves. Especially when Brown isn't even that highly thought of and that was with Thuney next to him and now he's gonna have Volson.

(03-25-2023, 06:29 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is what killed us after Whit left. We just kept hoping the Oline players we had in house would develop and improve but it didn't really materialize. Getting the guys in FA last year really helped and for about half a sec the Brown signing gave me good thoughts. But the Jonah requested a trade and I'm afraid we'll go into the 1st round with hopes that things will workout and pass up a guy that could solidfy the RT position for not only this year but the next several. I'm even worried about Volson. He did what was asked of him his 1st year and I'd hate to replace him but we are hoping he improves. Especially when Brown isn't even that highly thought of and that was with Thuney next to him and now he's gonna have Volson.

If Darnell Wright is sitting there at 28 I would be very shocked if the Bengals pass on drafting him because even if Jonah is with them for '23 that will be it. 

Volson - why would you think he would not improve? It was his first season playing LG in the NFL and he improved over the course of the season incrementally. He has an outstanding work ethic and I would be willing to bet he is less happy with his season than we are.

Brown - not that highly thought of? Where did you get this from, disgruntled KC fans?

(03-25-2023, 07:19 PM)OSUfan Wrote: If Darnell Wright is sitting there at 28 I would be very shocked if the Bengals pass on drafting him because even if Jonah is with them for '23 that will be it. 

Volson - why would you think he would not improve? It was his first season playing LG in the NFL and he improved over the course of the season incrementally. He has an outstanding work ethic and I would be willing to bet he is less happy with his season than we are.

Brown - not that highly thought of? Where did you get this from, disgruntled KC fans?

I hope if Wright is there at 28 we do take him. I would be torn if we brought a guy in to replace Volson. I think he ultimately will be the starter and he has earned it so far. I just think he does need to improve. I think the ideal thing to do would be to draft a mid Rd Guard to push him and add depth but unless we trade Jonah I think we will have more urgent needs than a 2nd pick on the OL assuming we draft a RT somewhere.  With Brown it seems like anyone I saw that covers the Bengals has him at above average  10-12 range and better than Jonah but not by that much. I just thought after seeing that being said that he had Thuney next to him which I'm sure didn't hurt him.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Synric - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 06:20 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not a closet Chiefs fan. But they do push the envelope. I just want what they have which I believe Burrow can match Mahomes but we don't have the front office that pushes the envelope like they do. I know people want to say we've beaten them 3 out of the last 4. But I want a Superbowl win and like it or not the AFC goes thru them. I also have a bad feeling that beating them just got a whole lot harder letting our 2 starting safeties walk.

It would be so nice to be in the AFC West. The violent gauntlet called the AFC North has been a terror on all four teams health over the last 15 years. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - samhain - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 07:33 PM)Synric Wrote: It would be so nice to be in the AFC West. The violent gauntlet called the AFC North has been a terror on all four teams health over the last 15 years. 

Yep.  It's all speculative, but it sure feels like those two Baltimore bloodbaths at the end of the season probably cost us at least a Super Bowl appearance.  

(03-25-2023, 07:33 PM)Synric Wrote: It would be so nice to be in the AFC West. The violent gauntlet called the AFC North has been a terror on all four teams health over the last 15 years. 

I think the AFC north is gonna be really tough this year. Assuming Watson improves the Browns will be tough. The Steelers have improved although not sure they're situation at linebacker. Not really sure what's going on with the Ravens but they always seem to be solid. Although I could see Baltimore being the surprise last place team of the North.