Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jonah Williams Requests Trade (/Thread-Jonah-Williams-Requests-Trade)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Soonerpeace - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 07:41 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think the AFC north is gonna be really tough this year. Assuming Watson improves the Browns will be tough. The Steelers have improved although not sure they're situation at linebacker. Not really sure what's going on with the Ravens but they always seem to be solid. Although I could see Baltimore being the surprise last place team of the North.

The AFC North I don’t think will be as tough for the Bengals. Now I think the division doesn’t have a bad team. But I don’t think outside us there’s a top team. The Ravens situation could change but the odds of Lamar staying or being all in seems unlikely. Pickett isn’t ready and the Browns overall roster not good. I look for the 3 of them to be around 9-8.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Hammerstripes - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 06:23 PM)wanga Wrote: I’d just hope Jonah would want to stay and fight it out to be the best player he can be. Not a fan of players wanting a trade because someone else comes in and takes their spot.
I realise that’s a bit simplistic but Jonah could make our oline better by staying.

I don't think it's that someone "took his spot," they gave his spot to someone else and then told him he's switching positions.  He's not even getting the chance to compete for it.

I have no problem with him requesting a trade.  I'm not convinced he can switch over to RT and be good after 7 years on the left side

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 07:31 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I hope if Wright is there at 28 we do take him. I would be torn if we brought a guy in to replace Volson. I think he ultimately will be the starter and he has earned it so far. I just think he does need to improve. I think the ideal thing to do would be to draft a mid Rd Guard to push him and add depth but unless we trade Jonah I think we will have more urgent needs than a 2nd pick on the OL assuming we draft a RT somewhere.  With Brown it seems like anyone I saw that covers the Bengals has him at above average  10-12 range and better than Jonah but not by that much. I just thought after seeing that being said that he had Thuney next to him which I'm sure didn't hurt him.

There are things you have to consider when trying to evaluate tackles blocking for Mahommes. For one watch film and see how deep Mahommes drops back. His deep drops mean that tackles have to ride the defender even farther than normal to move them past the play and create a pocket that the QB can step up into. When it comes to the pocket Mahommes often does not simply slide forward in the pocket but rather has really happy feet and moves around a lot rather than stepping up. Also, Mahommes will hold the ball for extended periods of time creating a situation where the linemen must sustain blocks for a longer than normal period.

The things that make Mahommes so dangerous can also make blocking for him extremely difficult.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Synric - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 07:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The AFC North I don’t think will be as tough for the Bengals. Now I think the division doesn’t have a bad team. But I don’t think outside us there’s a top team. The Ravens situation could change but the odds of Lamar staying or being all in seems unlikely. Pickett isn’t ready and the Browns overall roster not good. I look for the 3 of them to be around 9-8.

I wasn't talking about records but the overall violent play in the AFC North. There is alot of hate in the North right now lol the Bengals and Ravens absolutely do not like eachother. We seen how the players were acting during the game the little extra after the whistle. That has been a normal thing in the AFC North for a while between all four teams.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - NUGDUKWE - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 07:50 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The AFC North I don’t think will be as tough for the Bengals. Now I think the division doesn’t have a bad team. But I don’t think outside us there’s a top team. The Ravens situation could change but the odds of Lamar staying or being all in seems unlikely. Pickett isn’t ready and the Browns overall roster not good. I look for the 3 of them to be around 9-8.

Well I hope your right. I think the Browns are depend greatly on Watsons play. Not that any team wouldn't but if he plays good I think they will be good. I think the Steelers we better than a lot of people realize especially down the stretch and they've made some move to solidify they're oline. The Ravens I could really see going either way and the whole Lamar Jackson debacle is not a good situation.

(03-25-2023, 08:13 PM)Synric Wrote: I wasn't talking about records but the overall violent play in the AFC North. There is alot of hate in the North right now lol the Bengals and Ravens absolutely do not like eachother. We seen how the players were acting during the game the little extra after the whistle. That has been a normal thing in the AFC North for a while between all four teams.

Okay. I can see that as well. The Baltimore game seemed to settle down after a bit which I was glad to see. Football is physical enough without the extra stuff. I thought you were talking about records as the Chiefs don't lose many regular season games and especially not many in they're division. I don't want to be overly pessimistic and hopefully I'm wrong but I don't really see this as being the Bengals year. But in years to come its gonna be about best record and not just making the playoffs.

(03-25-2023, 07:57 PM)OSUfan Wrote: There are things you have to consider when trying to evaluate tackles blocking for Mahommes. For one watch film and see how deep Mahommes drops back. His deep drops mean that tackles have to ride the defender even farther than normal to move them past the play and create a pocket that the QB can step up into. When it comes to the pocket Mahommes often does not simply slide forward in the pocket but rather has really happy feet and moves around a lot rather than stepping up. Also, Mahommes will hold the ball for extended periods of time creating a situation where the linemen must sustain blocks for a longer than normal period.

The things that make Mahommes so dangerous can also make blocking for him extremely difficult.

I'm basing my opinion completely on other people's breakdowns. Goodberry broke down this past years Bengals Chiefs games and Brown looked to struggle against Hendrickson. When he wasn't getting help he struggled to match his athleticism coming around the edge. Maybe they were deeper dropbacks than Burrow would make but they didn't appear to be significantly and he was losing quickly with the ball coming out just in time.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Joelist - 03-25-2023

WE have a thread somewhere in here where KillerGoose showed Volsons ratings versus the NFL average for Guards and did it as a season long trend line. He started rough (the whole line did as that opening day was literally the first time that line ever took snaps together) but by season end he was at or slightly over the NFL Guard average. So he trended in the right direction.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - OSUfan - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 08:29 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm basing my opinion completely on other people's breakdowns. Goodberry broke down this past years Bengals Chiefs games and Brown looked to struggle against Hendrickson. When he wasn't getting help he struggled to match his athleticism coming around the edge. Maybe they were deeper dropbacks than Burrow would make but they didn't appear to be significantly and he was losing quickly with the ball coming out just in time.

Most LTs struggle against Hendrickson which is why he is consistently near the top of the league in pressures.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Joelist - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 08:36 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Most LTs struggle against Hendrickson which is why he is consistently near the top of the league in pressures.

Also Mahomes does drop deeper and not consistently to the same or close to the same spot, which causes more pressures because the line cannot reliably predict how to set. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - SHRacerX - 03-25-2023

(03-22-2023, 12:45 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Obviously talent is needed to succeed in the NFL but I agree with your sentiment. There is value in accounting for players' general happiness and it could motivate the guy to improve or go "next level" as you suggested. I hope Ford likes his situation and does better than anticipated.

Yeah, it is a long shot, but he was a first round pick and had the measurables.  Maybe the light just goes on a bit later?  Who knows, but sure hoping it works out.  

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - SHRacerX - 03-25-2023

(03-22-2023, 12:48 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: You don’t have to be a mauler to be a right tackle lmfao who says all right tackles have to be the same

Show me a top tier, or even average RT that has trouble with bull rushes.  Jonah does, big time.  He dealt with speed on the left, he will deal with more power on the right.  

He doesn't have to be a mauler, but his struggles on the left side don't bode well for a switch to the right side.  

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Frank Booth - 03-25-2023

(03-25-2023, 10:31 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Show me a top tier, or even average RT that has trouble with bull rushes.  Jonah does, big time.  He dealt with speed on the left, he will deal with more power on the right.  

He doesn't have to be a mauler, but his struggles on the left side don't bode well for a switch to the right side.  

if a healthy jonah is an average starting LT, he should be an average starting RT. At least that's my thought

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Destro - 03-25-2023

Thread on Jonah Williams has over 600 replies. What an off season.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Go Cards - 03-26-2023

(03-25-2023, 08:13 PM)Synric Wrote: I wasn't talking about records but the overall violent play in the AFC North. There is alot of hate in the North right now lol the Bengals and Ravens absolutely do not like eachother. We seen how the players were acting during the game the little extra after the whistle. That has been a normal thing in the AFC North for a while between all four teams.

yep all 4 teams hate each other it seems. 

It's a brutal division 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Mike M (the other one) - 03-26-2023

(03-25-2023, 10:54 PM)Destro Wrote: Thread on Jonah Williams has over 600 replies. What an off season.

if Fred was here, it'd be double that...

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - grampahol - 03-26-2023

I'm almost disappointed someone hasn't suggested we double Jonah's salary and kick Brown over to the RT spot.. I like reading stupid stuff. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it keeps things entertaining and keeps the rest of us feeling just a little smarter whether we are or not.. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - NUGDUKWE - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 08:07 AM)grampahol Wrote: I'm almost disappointed someone hasn't suggested we double Jonah's salary and kick Brown over to the RT spot.. I like reading stupid stuff. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it keeps things entertaining and keeps the rest of us feeling just a little smarter whether we are or not.. 

Well with the lack of free agent signings I do wish we would try and add a couple years to Readers contract. On Jonah I was really surprised he asked for a trade. I get that RT commands less money than LT but he couldn't be expecting anywhere near top money between injuries and just his level of play when he has been healthy. I would think he would atleast add to his market attention with a healthy decent year at RT. Probably best we try and move on by drafting a RT this year anyway.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Soonerpeace - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 09:02 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well with the lack of free agent signings I do wish we would try and add a couple years to Readers contract. On Jonah I was really surprised he asked for a trade. I get that RT commands less money than LT but he couldn't be expecting anywhere near top money between injuries and just his level of play when he has been healthy. I would think he would atleast add to his market attention with a healthy decent year at RT. Probably best we try and move on by drafting a RT this year anyway.

As sometimes JUST happens Jonah has been given the impression the staff was fully behind him. I think it blindsided him. It’s a hard dichotomy support your players but improve the team when opportunities arise. Jonah’s health has more to do with it than anything.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Soonerpeace - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 09:02 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well with the lack of free agent signings I do wish we would try and add a couple years to Readers contract. On Jonah I was really surprised he asked for a trade. I get that RT commands less money than LT but he couldn't be expecting anywhere near top money between injuries and just his level of play when he has been healthy. I would think he would atleast add to his market attention with a healthy decent year at RT. Probably best we try and move on by drafting a RT this year anyway.

As sometimes JUST happens Jonah has been given the impression the staff was fully behind him. I think it blindsided him. It’s a hard dichotomy support your players but improve the team when opportunities arise. Jonah’s health has more to do with it than anything.