Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jonah Williams Requests Trade (/Thread-Jonah-Williams-Requests-Trade)

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Soonerpeace - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 09:02 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well with the lack of free agent signings I do wish we would try and add a couple years to Readers contract. On Jonah I was really surprised he asked for a trade. I get that RT commands less money than LT but he couldn't be expecting anywhere near top money between injuries and just his level of play when he has been healthy. I would think he would atleast add to his market attention with a healthy decent year at RT. Probably best we try and move on by drafting a RT this year anyway.

As sometimes JUST happens Jonah has been given the impression the staff was fully behind him. I think it blindsided him. It’s a hard dichotomy support your players but improve the team when opportunities arise. Jonah’s health has more to do with it than anything.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - TheLeonardLeap - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 09:02 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well with the lack of free agent signings I do wish we would try and add a couple years to Readers contract.

As good as he's been when he's on the field, he's often not on the field. He's missed 18 games in his 3 years as a Bengal, including 6 last year. Now he's heading into his age 29 season.

Don't know if it's smart to add a couple years onto a guy right now for his age 30, 31, potentially age 32 seasons if he's had that kind of health track record, as guys generally don't become more durable with more age and injuries.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Toronto Bengal - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 09:42 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: As good as he's been when he's on the field, he's often not on the field. He's missed 18 games in his 3 years as a Bengal, including 6 last year. Now he's heading into his age 29 season.

Don't know if it's smart to add a couple years onto a guy right now for his age 30, 31, potentially age 32 seasons if he's had that kind of health track record, as guys generally don't become more durable with more age and injuries.

Would like to see Reader / Hill get some help. Don't know what the cost would be but Calais Campbell would be someone who could provide great rotational depth . 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - NUGDUKWE - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 09:42 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: As good as he's been when he's on the field, he's often not on the field. He's missed 18 games in his 3 years as a Bengal, including 6 last year. Now he's heading into his age 29 season.

He had the injury the 1st year with us. I wouldn't really consider that durability concerns for me even if he missed some game this year. He came back and played at a high level. The age thing is probably gonna be a factor. He's just been a part of so many of our big plays this season. If this ends up being his last year probably another reason we should've gone all in this year and figured out the future when it got here.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - TheLeonardLeap - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 10:01 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: He had the injury the 1st year with us. I wouldn't really consider that durability concerns for me even if he missed some game this year. He came back and played at a high level. The age thing is probably gonna be a factor. He's just been a part of so many of our big plays this season. If this ends up being his last year probably another reason we should've gone all in this year and figured out the future when it got here.

Wouldn't guarantee it's his last year here. My post was mostly more about why you might not want to give him a 2-3 year extension right now because IF he's hurt again in 2023 that would be 3/4 years. In that case you might want to consider moving on from him in the 2024 FA, so committing more years to him now might not be the best move.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - SHRacerX - 03-26-2023

(03-22-2023, 09:12 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Said it tongue in cheek, not sure the Bengals can get anything for him or Jonah.  Possibly a little something for Jonah. 

If they can though,  take it and run. Like them both but their time is done here. 

Their inevitable departure can only be put off for another year anyway. Neither will be re-signed unless it is at a huge discount so the Bengals should just resign to the fact and move on. Jonah is disgruntled, yet Mixon could have some value playing if he does not get Burrow killed in the process. 

Not sure he is worth the gamble and there will be good players available by freeing up their money after June cuts and the Bengals are an attractive landing spot. 

But won't be surprised if both are retained, just think there are better ways to spend that money. Never felt this way about Jonah and hoped he bounced back from the injuries. Yet if he does not want to be here ? Get somebody who does. 

I am hoping there is a team that doesn't get a FA LT they covet, decides to draft one, but views Jonah as a "bridge" that can help hedge their bet on the draft pick.  If Jonah plays like he has a few years back, he will certainly earn a new contract from either that team or a compensatory pick if he ends up somewhere else.

I would set my floor at a 3rd round pick but hope for a 2nd. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - SHRacerX - 03-26-2023

(03-25-2023, 10:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: if a healthy jonah is an average starting LT, he should be an average starting RT. At least that's my thought

I get where you are coming from, but his biggest weakness (anchor) would be even more exposed on the right side.  Sabin reportedly said to Belichek when he was drafted that he could play "anywhere on the line", but I would even prefer Carman to Johan at this point as the starting RT.  I wish him well and hope he has a full recovery and maybe lose some of the bad weight he added trying to improve his anchor, but actually hurt his agility.  

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - KillerGoose - 03-26-2023

(03-25-2023, 08:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: WE have a thread somewhere in here where KillerGoose showed Volsons ratings versus the NFL average for Guards and did it as a season long trend line. He started rough (the whole line did as that opening day was literally the first time that line ever took snaps together) but by season end he was at or slightly over the NFL Guard average. So he trended in the right direction.

Yeah, it was an idea that you had. Here is a link for that post.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - ElkValleyBengal - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am hoping there is a team that doesn't get a FA LT they covet, decides to draft one, but views Jonah as a "bridge" that can help hedge their bet on the draft pick.  If Jonah plays like he has a few years back, he will certainly earn a new contract from either that team or a compensatory pick if he ends up somewhere else.

I would set my floor at a 3rd round pick but hope for a 2nd

I would be more than happy to be wrong here, but my realistic ceiling would be a third.  I'm thinking a fourth rounder is even a more realistic hope, and only a few teams would probably consider that.  His injury history, plus the guaranteed money, don't make him an overly attractive target.  Plus the fact he's only under contract for the upcoming season. Perhaps if the Bengals ate part of the money they could get a better deal.

But again, glad to be mistaken.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Synric - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 10:44 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get where you are coming from, but his biggest weakness (anchor) would be even more exposed on the right side.  Sabin reportedly said to Belichek when he was drafted that he could play "anywhere on the line", but I would even prefer Carman to Johan at this point as the starting RT.  I wish him well and hope he has a full recovery and maybe lose some of the bad weight he added trying to improve his anchor, but actually hurt his agility.  

Its length it shows up so often with Jonah. Some players can overcome it but Jonah struggles with the lack of length and he just doesn't have the athlectic profile to recover. The Length will be a problem on either side but a move to guard can mask alot of his weaknesses.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Go Cards - 03-26-2023

(03-25-2023, 10:54 PM)Destro Wrote: Thread on Jonah Williams has over 600 replies. What an off season.

Gotta believe Fred lives somewhere on here still but just cant be typical Fred with replies and unveil his 007 secrecy. 

Do know he is arguing Bengals somewhere though, even if not on here. He is a diehard Bengals fan who lives to fan the flames, God love him. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - NUGDUKWE - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 11:12 AM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: I would be more than happy to be wrong here, but my realistic ceiling would be a third.  I'm thinking a fourth rounder is even a more realistic hope, and only a few teams would probably consider that.  His injury history, plus the guaranteed money, don't make him an overly attractive target.  Plus the fact he's only under contract for the upcoming season.  Perhaps if the Bengals ate part of the money they could get a better deal.

But again, glad to be mistaken.

I wonder if we could push it to a 2nd pick by paying the bulk of his salary this year. Or picking up some of it for a 3rd. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - 007BengalsFan - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 09:57 AM)Toronto Bengal Wrote: Would like to see Reader / Hill get some help. Don't know what the cost would be but Calais Campbell would be someone who could provide great rotational depth . 

I mentioned Calais Campbell would be a good addition last year when he was a free agent.  For whatever reason the Bengals seem to want younger guys and will ignore proven talent like Campbell while they sign some young free agent or 7th round draft pick that isnt good.   How does it help the team signing young guys if they are not good while ignoring vets like Campbell?  Everytime this happens it always reminds me of the Whitworth situation the Bengals management blew.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Destro - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 05:03 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: if Fred was here, it'd be double that...

(03-26-2023, 11:23 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Gotta believe Fred lives somewhere on here still but just cant be typical Fred with replies and unveil his 007 secrecy. 

Do know he is arguing Bengals somewhere though, even if not on here. He is a diehard Bengals fan who lives to fan the flames, God love him. 

Careful. Say his name three times and a starter gets a season ending injury.
And the Bengals sign someone who he will report was the highest rated tackle in junior college in the northwest Vermont for two weeks so he is an obvious starter.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Joelist - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 10:56 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Yeah, it was an idea that you had. Here is a link for that post.

I cited you because it was good work and wanted to be sure you got proper credit for it. 

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - sandwedge - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 10:01 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: He had the injury the 1st year with us. I wouldn't really consider that durability concerns for me even if he missed some game this year. He came back and played at a high level. The age thing is probably gonna be a factor. He's just been a part of so many of our big plays this season. If this ends up being his last year probably another reason we should've gone all in this year and figured out the future when it got here.

I think he has a couple of good years left. Zac loves his leaders and so does Lou. I believe he will be here for at least 2 more years.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - leonardfan40 - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 11:23 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Gotta believe Fred lives somewhere on here still but just cant be typical Fred with replies and unveil his 007 secrecy. 

I think he got banned on purpose because he knew he would get even more attention and mentions from the great beyond lol

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - Go Cards - 03-26-2023

(03-26-2023, 09:20 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think he got banned on purpose because he knew he would get even more attention and mentions from the great beyond lol

Much like Billy the Kid, Fred went out in a blaze of glory.

The name Fred will live now forever in Bengals message board lore in a contentious way.

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - NATI BENGALS - 03-27-2023

(03-26-2023, 10:24 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Much like Billy the Kid, Fred went out in a blaze of glory.

The name Fred will live now forever in Bengals message board lore in a contentious way.

Fred's toast?

RE: Jonah Williams Requests Trade - TecmoBengals - 03-27-2023

(03-27-2023, 12:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Fred's toast?

[Image: toasty.gif]

So when are the Bengals trading Jonah?