Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks (/Thread-Trump-admin-bans-Bump-Stocks)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 12:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The intersection on that Venn diagram would be very small.

I'm more concerned about someone speeding or driving stupid as a result of road rage than I am them having a gun. Unsafe driving poses more of a risk to you than someone with a gun.

C'mon Matt, you're being logical and rational when gun control requires hair pulling, teeth gnashing rage!  I thank you for pointing this out as if I had done so I'd be on post four with Fred explaining what definition of "road rage" we're using.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - fredtoast - 03-27-2019

Incidents categorized as road rage — broadly, where someone in a car brandished a gun in a threatening manner or fired a gun at another driver or passenger — have more than doubled in the last three years, from 247 in 2014 to 620 in 2016. In the first 6 months of 2017 there were 325 incidents.

A 2006 study of aggressive drivers by researchers from the Harvard Injury Control Research Center found that drivers with a firearm in their vehicle may be more prone to anger, and more likely to engage in aggressive driving than those who did not have a gun. Across all demographics and regions, gun carriers were more likely to make obscene gestures at other drivers, aggressively follow them, or both, the study concluded.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/04/road-rage-shootings-guns/

Nothing like some good old gun empowerment.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Dill - 03-27-2019

(03-26-2019, 11:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am convinced that people who like to shoot things aren't divided by liberal/conservative, but by people who have already shot things/people who have not. 

If you go plinking/clay shooting/etc even just once, I feel you will have an increased appreciation for the fun of it. Seems to me most of the people who hate guns/shooting have never fired a gun, didn't grow up around them, and their only experience about them are movies and news reports of crimes, are the ones who don't enjoy recreational shooting.

Shooting animals can be kind of fun too.  I've shot some.

I know it's bad. But still . . . .

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - fredtoast - 03-27-2019

I would just like to point out that many people who own and enjoy guns are also in favor of some gun control measures.

Don't believe the NRA when they claim everyone who is in favor of gun registration and licensing hate guns.  The NRA thrives on fear mongering.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - bfine32 - 03-27-2019

I missed the part where SSF said having a gun is empowering. Seems it speaks more to one's confidence in it's use.

I've used firearms all my life; however, my wife has not. I bought her a SW .40 for home protection; having that gun in the house did absolutely nothing for her, but once she took a safety class and we did quite a bit of range shooting she is much more secure (empowered) if she's home alone. She has 0 desire to shoot anyone.

(03-27-2019, 06:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Incidents categorized as road rage — broadly, where someone in a car brandished a gun in a threatening manner or fired a gun at another driver or passenger — have more than doubled in the last three years, from 247 in 2014 to 620 in 2016.  In the first 6 months of 2017 there were 325 incidents.

A 2006 study of aggressive drivers by researchers from the Harvard Injury Control Research Center found that drivers with a firearm in their vehicle may be more prone to anger, and more likely to engage in aggressive driving than those who did not have a gun. Across all demographics and regions, gun carriers were more likely to make obscene gestures at other drivers, aggressively follow them, or both, the study concluded.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/04/road-rage-shootings-guns/

Nothing like some good old gun empowerment.

Ahh, using an unbiased source like The Trace on gun issues.  Why don't I just quote the NRA as an equally unbiased counterpoint?

(03-27-2019, 06:18 PM)Dill Wrote: Shooting animals can be kind of fun too.  I've shot some.

I know it's bad.  But still . . . .

I wouldn't call the shooting part "fun".  There is skill in a hunt and appreciation for the execution of that said skill.  I can say that I would feel terrible if I ever shot an animal in an inhumane way.  (Wait for the usual suspects to froth about there being a "humane" way)

(03-27-2019, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would just like to point out that many people who own and enjoy guns are also in favor of some gun control measures.

Please define "many" in the same way as you demand definition of "empowering".

Quote:Don't believe the NRA when they claim everyone who is in favor of gun registration and licensing hate guns.  The NRA thrives on fear mongering.

No, you actually should believe them.  There are some gun owners willing to sell out others so they can keep their semi-auto shotgun.  The 2nd amendment is a right that says nothing about hunting.  As much as I respect Bel and his intellect I don't respect his opinion on what guns I, or anyone else, "need" to own.  If I wanted to be really inflammatory I could point out the Jews who volunteered to guard and punish other Jews in concentration camps as an example of people who will go along with those who seek to limit them.  But I don't really feel the need to do so.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Dill - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 07:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Dill Wrote: Shooting animals can be kind of fun too.  I've shot some.

I know it's bad.  But still . . . .

I wouldn't call the shooting part "fun".  There is skill in a hunt and appreciation for the execution of that said skill.  I can say that I would feel terrible if I ever shot an animal in an inhumane way.  (Wait for the usual suspects to froth about there being a "humane" way)

Haven't hunted for many years, but my memories tell me walking-for-hours=not fun and carrying-dead-deer-mile-to-truck=not fun.  All work.

Shooting-deer-boom-down=FUN fun.  The only fun part.  Rabbits fun too.

Bad Dill   Sad

(03-27-2019, 08:00 PM)Dill Wrote: Haven't hunted for many years, but my memories tell me walking-for-hours=not fun and carrying-dead-deer-mile-to-truck=not fun.  All work.

Shooting-deer-boom-down=FUN fun.  The only fun part.  Rabbits fun too.

Bad Dill   Sad

I enjoy the process.  I live in the largest urban area in the nation so being in the wilderness is fun on its own.  Honestly the whole thing is a process.  I will agree that the shot, properly executed, is the most satisfying process as it exemplifies your personal skill in the most obvious fashion.  It can also be the least satisfying if you get it wrong.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - GMDino - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 07:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I missed the part where SSF said having a gun is empowering. Seems it speaks more to one's confidence in it's use.

I've used firearms all my life; however, my wife has not. I bought her a SW .40 for home protection; having that gun in the house did absolutely nothing for her, but once she took a safety class and we did quite a bit of range shooting she is much more secure (empowered) if she's home alone.  She has 0 desire to shoot anyone.

(03-27-2019, 12:26 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This is true for a very simple reason, shooting is empowering.  We're constantly talking about empowering people, making them feel more confident.  People who are physically fit and can handle themselves are more confident.  We're always referring to empowering people as a huge ingredient in self esteem.  Knowing how to use a firearm, responsibly, is incredibly empowering.  No other tool can make an 85 year old woman close to the equivalent of a 21 year old man.

Not to mention that it's enormously fun on its own.

I mean, unless he's talking about shooting something other than gun?  Smirk

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Beaker - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 08:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: Quoting myself because I want to add, not edit:  My feelings on guns "empowering" people also applies to gangs and anyone using it to commit a crime.  It makes is "easier" in their minds.

To me, I understand what I THINK he meant when he said empowering. I didnt take it the way you and fred are positioning it. I think there is play on the connotation of the word empowering that your view is taking. 

When I read his post, MY interpretation was that handling and responsible use of a firearm makes one feel like they are controlling something powerful, and that gives them a sense of being able to handle more things that life throws at them.....gun related or not. I am not saying my interpretation is right or wrong, just adding my POV. 

(03-27-2019, 08:55 PM)Beaker Wrote: To me, I understand what I THINK he meant when he said empowering. I didnt take it the way you and fred are positioning it. I think there is play on the connotation of the word empowering that your view is taking. 

When I read his post, MY interpretation was that handling and responsible use of a firearm makes one feel like they are controlling something powerful, and that gives them a sense of being able to handle more things that life throws at them.....gun related or not. I am not saying my interpretation is right or wrong, just adding my POV. 

Sure.  I got that too.  I just ALSO think that some people think having and handling a gun makes them more powerful to stand up to things they felt week again OR that they get a power rush that they can use a gun against things they don't like.

In addition if you read or listen to some of the "gun nuts" they seem to base their whole life around their guns and owning them.  That's not EVERY gun owner...just the nut cases that feel "empowered" in life because they have guns.

Just saying it can work that way ALSO.

(03-27-2019, 08:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: I mean, unless he's talking about shooting something other than gun?  Smirk

The part of the post you bolded said this:

knowing how to use a firearm, responsibly, is incredibly empowering.

I still didn't see the part that stated having a gun is empowering. 

(03-27-2019, 09:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The part of the post you bolded said this:

knowing how to use a firearm, responsibly, is incredibly empowering.

I still didn't see the part that stated having a gun is empowering. 

Oh, wow.  Yeah, I didn't even begin to think you'd agree but I figured I'd post it anyway since they were talking about shooting guns.  Maybe shooting something else is what he meant.

Thanks.

(03-27-2019, 09:31 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh, wow.  Yeah, I didn't even begin to think you'd agree but I figured I'd post it anyway since they were talking about shooting guns.  Maybe shooting something else is what he meant.

Thanks.

I think everybody sees that this is just you and you failing in an attempt of gotcha. Dude explained his point. 

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Belsnickel - 03-27-2019

(03-27-2019, 07:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: No, you actually should believe them.  There are some gun owners willing to sell out others so they can keep their semi-auto shotgun.  The 2nd amendment is a right that says nothing about hunting.  As much as I respect Bel and his intellect I don't respect his opinion on what guns I, or anyone else, "need" to own.  If I wanted to be really inflammatory I could point out the Jews who volunteered to guard and punish other Jews in concentration camps as an example of people who will go along with those who seek to limit them.  But I don't really feel the need to do so.

To be fair, while I say no one has a "need" for certain firearms, I don't typically side with bans on them. Usually when I do it is more of an academic exercise than my true policy positions.

That being said, Fred really wasn't wrong with that statement. Registration would probably be a difficult one, but licensing is something I know a lot of gun owners would get behind. Universal background checks is another thing that receives broad support, even among NRA members. I'd like to see honest discussions from both sides on what can be done about firearm violence. That's not happening right now, though.

(03-27-2019, 09:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be fair, while I say no one has a "need" for certain firearms, I don't typically side with bans on them. Usually when I do it is more of an academic exercise than my true policy positions.

I absolutely agree, hence my quoting you precisely.  I know you're not in favor of bans, but that wasn't the point being made. 

Quote:That being said, Fred really wasn't wrong with that statement. Registration would probably be a difficult one, but licensing is something I know a lot of gun owners would get behind. Universal background checks is another thing that receives broad support, even among NRA members.

The only flaw in that statement is that universal background checks require registration to function.  Unless you are using definitions of licensing and registration that are completely out of touch with what I am familiar with.  If the government is supposed to be immediately apprised of what you own and when, then how is that different from registration, absent a possible (likely) fee?

Quote:I'd like to see honest discussions from both sides on what can be done about firearm violence. That's not happening right now, though.

There are numerous things I'd be comfortable with, given absolute assurance they'd never be abused.  Seeing as how many Dems (including the entire state government of CA and others) have come out in favor of confiscation I have zero faith in that ever being the case.

(03-27-2019, 08:55 PM)Beaker Wrote: To me, I understand what I THINK he meant when he said empowering. I didnt take it the way you and fred are positioning it. I think there is play on the connotation of the word empowering that your view is taking. 

Hence the actual definition of the word I cited.  Thank you.

(03-27-2019, 09:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think everybody sees that this is just you and you failing in an attempt of gotcha. Dude explained his point. 

Nervous

I agreed with the dude.

I said so multiple times.

I also added that my own view on what "empowering" SOME people can also do and how that kind of empowerment is "kinda" scary when they get a feeling of "power" from shooting a gun.

Rock On

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - Benton - 03-28-2019

(03-27-2019, 09:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be fair, while I say no one has a "need" for certain firearms, I don't typically side with bans on them. Usually when I do it is more of an academic exercise than my true policy positions.

That being said, Fred really wasn't wrong with that statement. Registration would probably be a difficult one, but licensing is something I know a lot of gun owners would get behind. Universal background checks is another thing that receives broad support, even among NRA members. I'd like to see honest discussions from both sides on what can be done about firearm violence. That's not happening right now, though.

I don't get the pushback here. 

We require a user to be licensed for just about everything. But when it comes to talks about licensing gun owners (and thereby maybe weeding out some idiots), it becomes a slippery slope situation.

As I said earlier, I don't like restrictions on guns. Restrictions on owners is less of a problem with me. Want a gun? Don't be crazy, consistently a law breakers, etc.

RE: Trump admin bans Bump Stocks - bfine32 - 03-28-2019

(03-28-2019, 12:25 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't get the pushback here. 

We require a user to be licensed for just about everything. But when it comes to talks about licensing gun owners (and thereby maybe weeding out some idiots), it becomes a slippery slope situation.

As I said earlier, I don't like restrictions on guns. Restrictions on owners is less of a problem with me. Want a gun? Don't be crazy, consistently a law breakers, etc.

I think the difference is, most other things that require a license is not a right. WTS, I agree. Folks that choose to own fire arms should be as vetted as those that choose to vote.