Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart (/Thread-Jackson-Carman-At-Bottom-Of-Depth-Chart)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - fredtoast - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 02:13 PM)Tony Wrote: Fred spitting the stats... I don't get why people root against a player on your team? Why would you want anyone to fail on your favorite team? Also I'd like to add that Jamaar is not changing positions either... That's a other huge difference here... 

I don't want anyone to fail.  I just disagree with the claim that spain played really well last year.

I run into the same problem when I discuss Burrow.  I love his potential, but when I point out the truth that he had problems last year completing deep passes or holding onto the ball too long people accuse me of being a "hater".  I 100% believe that Burrow can be a very good NFL QB, but he wasn't last year. Saying that does not mean I want him to fail.

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Tony - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't want anyone to fail.  I just disagree with the claim that spain played really well last year.

I run into the same problem when I discuss Burrow.  I love his potential, but when I point out the truth that he had problems last year completing deep passes or holding onto the ball too long people accuse me of being a "hater".  I 100% believe that Burrow can be a very good NFL QB, but he wasn't last year. Saying that does not mean I want him to fail.

No , I meant the other guys.. Godfather and Booth... I'm with you on this one Fred..
Also agree with you on Burrow, and I 100% believe that he worked on it tremendously.. You can tell his Frame is bigger, worked on velocity.. I believe he will be much better with the deep ball This year. Jordan Palmer said he changed his footwork too.. He wasn't planting his foot right. Jordan also said he believes that Burrow is gonna a kill it this year..

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - pally - 07-30-2021

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - ochocincos - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 02:32 PM)pally Wrote:

Spain and XSF have both shown to be decent OGs prior to coming to the Bengals, at least in pass protection.
If they can both have strong showings in training camp, I could see the Bengals choosing to start both of them with Williams, Reiff, and Hopkins while Carman makes his transition to OG.

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Luvnit2 - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 06:08 AM)Go Cards Wrote: If Carman was named starter already I would be skeptical.

Yet a rookie in the 2nd day of camp should be put in check by NFL veterans who know the system already.

Heck he should be carrying the vets luggage and polishing cleats right before being required to sing his college alma mater fight song in dining hall for team entertainment.

All while a vet scrapes mashed potatoes and gravy in his chair that he is about to sit back down into for s#!+s and giggles at this point like in Brians Song.

Sorry but not going to read too deeply into this premature evaluation of a rookie. .

I agree in bolded above. 

Bears 1st round pick is not the starter according their HC, Dalton is so why would our 2nd round pick be named a starter prior to no work in pads????

I think way too early to predict Carman's career either way.

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Synric - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 02:32 PM)pally Wrote:

Which won't happen until the pads come on. I expect Jackson Carman to get the lions share of reps during the pre-season games.

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - kalibengal - 07-30-2021

yup, lets give the kid a chance. Why would they hand him the starting G spot right off the bat?? That sounds stupid to me.

Spain is a big mystery to me.

I once saw a stat about how he gave up almost nmo sacks while starting for the Bills.

After his first season with Buffalo they liked him so much they gave him a 3 yr $15 Million contract extension. Then they cut him halfway through the first year of that new contract.

I don't think Spain played that great last year, but he is obviously a guy who has played well in the past. He was just 29 last year and has no major injury problems.

It is much easier to have hope that a healthy player can regain a form he has already shown than to hope for a guy who was never any good to suddenly turn it around.

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Truck_1_0_1_ - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Spain is a big mystery to me.

I once saw a stat about how he gave up almost nmo sacks while starting for the Bills.

After his first season with Buffalo they liked him so much they gave him a 3 yr $15 Million contract extension. Then they cut him halfway through the first year of that new contract.

I don't think Spain played that great last year, but he is obviously a guy who has played well in the past. He was just 29 last year and has no major injury problems.

It is much easier to have hope that a healthy player can regain a form he has already shown than to hope for a guy who was never any good to suddenly turn it around.

He had a falling out with the staff last year.

Don't have the articles offhand, but when we picked him up, it was widely reported that the cut was not due to performance.

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Synric - 07-30-2021

Here is the full video of Frank Pollack's interview.

https://youtu.be/BKR_ShAhpNI

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Sled21 - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 03:45 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He had a falling out with the staff last year.

Don't have the articles offhand, but when we picked him up, it was widely reported that the cut was not due to performance.

Well, his statement this year was that with a full off season with the team, he was going to show "what Quinton Spain is about," so it sounds like a man with a chip on his shoulder who is driven to show he was underrated. That's a good thing.

Hey Elizabeth, if you are reading this board it would be really nice to have some mikes in the back of the room so we could hear the questions as well as the answers. Who was he talking about that needed to put on some size, anyone catch that?

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - bfine32 - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't want anyone to fail.  I just disagree with the claim that spain played really well last year.

I thought Spain did a fine job for us last year. We juggled him between RG, LG, and RT. In 720 snaps he gave up 1 sack. The dude's not Quinten Nelson, but I feel like he's solid

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - bfine32 - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 04:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hey Elizabeth, if you are reading this board it would be really nice to have some mikes in the back of the room so we could hear the questions as well as the answers. Who was he talking about that needed to put on some size, anyone catch that?

Jonah

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Wes Mantooth - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 04:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hey Elizabeth, if you are reading this board it would be really nice to have some mikes in the back of the room so we could hear the questions as well as the answers.

I could be wrong, but this might be Covid related.  UC's Press Conferences have been the same way this last year or so.  Not sure they can have a communal mic, or be passing them around.

(07-30-2021, 04:47 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I could be wrong, but this might be Covid related.  UC's Press Conferences have been the same way this last year or so.  Not sure they can have a communal mic, or be passing them around.

No, but they could put several stationary mics throughout the room to pick up the questions.

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Joelist - 07-30-2021

Well that was an interesting press conference, especially with the questions being inaudible.

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - rfaulk34 - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't want anyone to fail. I just disagree with the claim that spain played really well last year.

Bobby Hart in his wonderfully, excellent 2019 season. 18.8 snaps per pressure, 6 sacks and a 96.7 PBE.
Quinton Spain in his horribly, woeful 2020 season. 21.4 snaps per pressure, 1 sack and a 97.4 PBE. 

So did Spain play well in 2020 or did Hart not play so well in 2019?

RE: Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart - Bilbo Saggins - 07-30-2021

(07-30-2021, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Spain is a big mystery to me.

After his first season with Buffalo they liked him so much they gave him a 3 yr $15 Million contract extension.  Then they cut him halfway through the first year of that new contract.

I don't think Spain played that great last year, but he is obviously a guy who has played well in the past.  He was just 29 last year and has no major injury problems.

Before landing here he was exclusively a left guard. Here he played three different positions with no training camp. I don't see why it's unreasonable to assume that he can/should be a good starter at LG. 

(07-30-2021, 05:42 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote:  I don't see why it's unreasonable to assume that he can/should be a good starter at LG. 

Because "good starters" demand more than league minimum on the free agent market.