Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
Looks like those Jackson fans who said he was going to be a big upgrade this year got hit with a dose of reality. Articles I read said he has alot of work ahead of him transitioning to NFL guard.

So this was the answer to the offensive line issues this offseason in draft huh?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 06:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: Looks like those Jackson fans who said he was going to be a big upgrade this year got hit with a dose of reality. Articles I read said he has alot of work ahead of him transitioning to NFL guard.

So this was the answer to the offensive line issues this offseason in draft huh?

Don’t take so much joy in it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
IMO a rookie should start low on the depth chart and rise as time goes on. I wouldn’t worry too much about a day two training camp depth chart. Marvin used to have guys wayyyyy lower than where they ended up at seasons start.
Reply/Quote
It's the second day of practice they dont even have pads on yet.... There is no depth chart.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 06:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t take so much joy in it.

Im not going to take any joy in watching our QB run for his life a second season in a row.....
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 06:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: Looks like those Jackson fans who said he was going to be a big upgrade this year got hit with a dose of reality. Articles I read said he has alot of work ahead of him transitioning to NFL guard.

You realize rookies typically start at the bottom of the depth chart unless they're high first round picks, right?  
Reply/Quote
Good, he should have to prove himself, and earn his way to starting lineup.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Link to depth chart and article you read.
Reply/Quote
This could mean a few things other than him simply being behind everyone else and needing a lot of time and work.  

They could be doing this to motivate him.  They also be doing this to send the message to the team that this spot will be earned and not given because of draft position.  If either of these is true, I applaud the approach.  To me, giving a rookie a job a couple days into camp sends a terrible message to the other guys busting their butts and competing.  Even if they know Carman is going to be the guy, I think it's important to show his teammates he earned it.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 06:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: Looks like those Jackson fans who said he was going to be a big upgrade this year got hit with a dose of reality. 

Looks like those that want to shit on Carmen are too anxious to make up "reality".

Way too early to be talking anything about "reality".  Lots of rookies started at the bottom of the chart and ended up starting.  Even Taylor said in his press conference that the competition does not start until next week when they get into pads.
Reply/Quote
Rookies start at the bottom. Thats just the way it goes. Not a statement on his ability or projected season status. Lighten up.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 07:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link to depth chart and article you read.

Was on the Athletic with Paul Dehner Jr.

Heres a part of article

"But Wednesday came with a dose of humility for Jackson Carman, who ran well behind the starters and next to recent camp body acquisition Gunnar Vogel as he found a steep climb to earn respect and a potential spot on the line for the opener against Minnesota.

This much was clear: Carman has a month of proving to do if he wants any piece of veterans Xavier Su’a-Filo and Quinton Spain, who have a combined 132 NFL starts under their belt. That 132 sure looks like a tough number to overcome."
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 07:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Looks like those that want to shit on Carmen are too anxious to make up "reality".

Way too early to be talking anything about "reality".  Lots of rookies started at the bottom of the chart and ended up starting.  Even Taylor said in his press conference that the competition does not start until next week when they get into pads.

It will most likely be a rotation with Spain/XSF on day one with pads and then Carman getting a shot on day 2.

Right now Carman is with the other rookies getting the rookie treatment lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 08:34 PM)Synric Wrote: It will most likely be a rotation with Spain/XSF on day one with pads and then Carman getting a shot on day 2.

Right now Carman is with the other rookies getting the rookie treatment lol.

This is in fact what is happening per Bengals.com. Pollack has the lines in groups based on position (Guard 1, Guard 2, Tackle 1, Tackle 2) and is rotating frequently so both are getting lots of snaps. They also quote Taylor as saying they are bringing Carman along and getting him used to NFL Guard play. 

He'll be the starter by the time we get to Opening Day.
Reply/Quote
Day 2 of camp and he's a rookie......... nothing to read into here.

Gotta take your lumps and earn respect.

I actually like it because we're being run like a real team.
Reply/Quote
OP brings great news: XSF and Spain must be lighting it up
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
For those who do not think this is significant, want to make a bet whether he's ta Week 1 starter?
I would definitely take it as a sign as all eyes are going to be on him after they pass on Sewell and then trade down for more picks.

I think Frank said, "Nope. You're going to have to earn this one kid."
Should've been much more careful in free agency. The middle is going to be awfully soft again.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Typical Marvin, making sure every exciting young guy has as many boring crap vets in front of him as possible.
Reply/Quote
If Penei Sewell had been drafted, there's a decent chance he'd be behind Jonah Williams and Riley Reiff on the depth chart too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 10:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Penei Sewell had been drafted, there's a decent chance he'd be behind Jonah Williams and Riley Reiff on the depth chart too.

I guarantee he would be. Or playing OG (which I think is where Detroit has him).

Reply/Quote