Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(07-30-2021, 07:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because "good starters" demand more than league minimum on the free agent market.

Did Adam Jones demand much? He's one of the best punt returners in modern history and was a pretty solid corner. Why weren't teams tripping over themselves to pay out the nose for him?

If word got out that Spain got into a fued, shouting match, or whatever with a coach, that could easily tank a FA's asking price. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2021, 06:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Don’t take so much joy in it.

What a cop out dude. We spent half the offseason arguing this stuff.

If yall were wrong, man up and admit it.

At this point I'd say it's too soon to panic, but this doesn't look good...obviously.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:15 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What a cop out dude. We spent half the offseason arguing this stuff.

If yall were wrong, man up and admit it.

At this point I'd say it's too soon to make a call, but this doesn't look good...obviously.

Holy shit my man, they haven’t played a SINGLE game yet. You are better than this.

And for the record I never argued for Jackson Carman specifically. I argued there was going to be some excellent OL options available when we picked at 38. Which there were (Eichenberg, Jenkins, Little, etc).

But if Chase becomes what he’s expected to be then no one who wanted him was “wrong.” What the team did after that pick is up for debate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 05:35 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Bobby Hart in his wonderfully, excellent 2019 season. 18.8 snaps per pressure, 6 sacks and a 96.7 PBE.
Quinton Spain in his horribly, woeful 2020 season. 21.4 snaps per pressure, 1 sack and a 97.4 PBE. 

So did Spain play well in 2020 or did Hart not play so well in 2019?

I hate nothing more than the "eyeball test", but Spain looked very good last year and I don't see anything other than a PFF rating to dispute that. The statistics definately do not. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 02:24 PM)Tony Wrote: No , I meant the other guys.. Godfather and Booth...

What a bunch of shit. Did I write the article? Last I looked I wasn't  working for the Athletic. So if you want to get mad send a message to Paul Dehner Jr and Jay Morrison. I didnt post the link because it is behind a paywall. If you are a subscriber go look for yourself and if your not go on all podcasts and listen where they talk about it in depth. They don't even think he will start this season. 
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:33 PM)GodFather Wrote: What a bunch of shit. Did I write the article? Last I looked I wasn't  working for the Athletic. So if you want to get mad send a message to Paul Dehner Jr and Jay Morrison. I didnt post the link because it is behind a paywall. If you are a subscriber go look for yourself and if your not go on all podcasts and listen where they talk about it in depth. They don't even think he will start this season. 

Literally no one with even a shred of credibility would make that prediction before they even put the pads on.

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Holy shit my man, they haven’t played a SINGLE game yet. You are better than this.

And for the record I never argued for Jackson Carman specifically. I argued there was going to be some excellent OL options available when we picked at 38. Which there were (Eichenberg, Jenkins, Little, etc).

But if Chase becomes what he’s expected to be then no one who wanted him was “wrong.” What the team did after that pick is up for debate.

Guess you missed the part where I said "it's way too soon to panic".

I'm just saying that if those on the "we addressed the line just fine" / Carman train wind up being wrong, don't turd out by saying stuff like "you're thrilled with failure". That's just deflecting.

Yes it's way too soon, but pro-Carman people have to admit this isn't what you want to hear...even in training camp. Dehnar paints a pretty bad picture. Hopefully the vets step up their game under Pollack, or Carman turns it around. We need a lot of things to go right if we want the most out of this awesome WR group.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Literally no one with even a shred of credibility would make that prediction before they even put the pads on.

Go listen to the latest podcast "Hear That Podcast A Growlin" at the 10 minute mark...

Those guys are pretty big beat writers in your town...so maybe you should respond on their twitter "Dont take too much joy in it and they have zero credibility" 

Im sure your personal opinions on their professionalism are very important to the two of them and the Athletic.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Guess you missed the part where I said "it's way too soon to panic".

I'm just saying that if those on the "we addressed the line just fine" / Carman train wind up being wrong, don't turd out by saying stuff like "you're thrilled with failure". That's just deflecting.

Yes it's way too soon, but pro-Carman people have to admit this isn't what you want to hear...even in training camp. Dehnar paints a pretty bad picture. Hopefully the vets step up their game under Pollack, or Carman turns it around. We need a lot of things to go right if we want the most out of this awesome WR group.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone that doesn’t think they should have done more than they did. Not necessarily in the draft, but in FA. It was never about a single draft pick.

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Guess you missed the part where I said "it's way too soon to panic".

I would think every Bengal fan would be "pro Carman".

I really cannot believe how many grown men are still mad about Sewell. I wanted Sewell over Chase, but we didn't go that direction; however,l'm not a child.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Go listen to the latest podcast "Hear That Podcast A Growlin" at the 10 minute mark...

Those guys are pretty big beat writers in your town...so maybe you should respond on their twitter "Dont take too much joy in it and they have zero credibility" 

Im sure your personal opinions on their professionalism are very important to the two of them and the Athletic.

If your posting history wasn’t 99.9% negative you wouldn’t have people accusing you of seeming too eager to start a thread like this.

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would think every Bengal fan would be "pro Carman".

I really cannot believe how many grown men are still mad about Sewell. I wanted Sewell over Chase, but we didn't go that direction; however,l'm not a child.  

I mean, I knew the drama queening would go on as soon as the OL started to look even slightly shaky this season, but to be freaking out over a day 1 TC depth chart? Yikes…

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Go listen to the latest podcast "Hear That Podcast A Growlin" at the 10 minute mark...

I listened to him this morning in the car.

Dehner mentioned Jackson Carman ran with the first team during OTAs. Open training camp they put him at the back of thr rotation and are telling him show us you want it. Said that was a common thing coaches do to rookies saying Zimmer did it to entire teams during training camp. It was not nearly as bad as what you are alluding too..

Right now Jackson Carman needs to go out and work everyday he has alot to learn. The actual offensive guard competition will begin when the pads come on next week.

PS: The Article Dehner wrote and the podcast were both about the first day of camp written and aired before the second day of camp started.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think you’ll find anyone that doesn’t think they should have done more than they did. Not necessarily in the draft, but in FA. It was never about a single draft pick.

This seems like you're hedging a bit. There were plenty of people saying we "did enough" this offseason, between Reiff, Carman and Pollack. Plenty of people saying we'd be fine this year. You can't expect an all-pro at every spot, etc.

(07-30-2021, 10:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would think every Bengal fan would be "pro Carman".

I'm pro-whatever-is-best-to-help-my-team-win. I didn't see Carman as the big fix that many did. That doesn't mean I want him to fail to prove myself correct on a message board, or any other petty BS.

I just wish we would've gone in a different direction, and when I hear bad news about Carman in TC, it doesn't help me forget and move on from my stance.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 10:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If your posting history wasn’t 99.9% negative you wouldn’t have people accusing you of seeming too eager to start a thread like this.

Well there isn't much positive things to say when your team has sucked for the past 5 years. Ive said a ton of positive things about Burrow and others. I love the guy and think he's the real deal. But Im not going to blindly wave the poms poms with the teams history and decision making and expecting them to magically do well. 

I don't want Jackson to fail at all, but I thought the decision trading down in the second was a mistake. Time will tell but there were players sitting in the second round that I think were a better choice.

And for the record I have no problem at all with the Chase pick and am excited to see him in action, he will be great for us... 

On the other hand, trading down and choosing Jackson???  Only time will tell.

The bottom line is Burrow needs to be protected and that should've been the biggest goal this offseason, it wasn't addressed well at all in my opinion. It's like buying a Ferrari and leaving it in the projects thinking nobody will touch it. You need to protect your biggest asset. If you dont think thats the case talk to Andrew Luck...
Reply/Quote
What a bunch of babies in the thread

If you don’t praise everything 100%, you’re a hater who should root for a different team

Just shut up with that shit already lol
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 11:08 PM)Synric Wrote: It was not nearly as bad as what you are alluding too..

"He was the starting guard in OTA's"

"Something they saw in the spring didn't agree with them(coaches)"

"This is not trouble in paradise...well maybe a little bit"

I went back and listened these were exact quotes, I wouldn't call those comments something to get excited about.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 11:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: "He was the starting guard in OTA's"

"Something they saw in the spring didn't agree with them(coaches)"

"This is not trouble in paradise...well maybe a little bit"

I went back and listened these were exact quotes, I wouldn't call those comments something to get excited about.

These were just Paul and Jay trying to guess why Carman was now in the back of the drill rotation on day one. They also went on to say it was a common thing coaches did to rookies.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 11:42 PM)Synric Wrote: These were just Paul and Jay trying to guess why Carman was now in the back of the drill rotation on day one. They also went on to say it was a common thing coaches did to rookies.

ACTUALLY they said it was a common things coaches did to rookies and THEN made these comments alluding it was more than that? 

This is their job(Dehner and Morrison) and my take is they see alot and hear alot, but have to be careful what they say because they don't want to burn bridges with players and front office. It wasn't in a positive light at all...
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 11:48 PM)GodFather Wrote: ACTUALLY they said it was a common things coaches did to rookies and THEN made these comments alluding it was more than that? 

This is their job(Dehner and Morrison) and my take is they see alot and hear alot, but have to be careful what they say because they don't want to burn bridges with players and front office. It wasn't in a positive light at all...

I mean obviously we’d rather hear the opposite, but at least some growing pains were to be expected with him switching positions, and adjusting to the NFL in general. At least we have a coach that will actually work with him now. If he’s still struggling at the end of camp then I’ll worry about it.

Reply/Quote