Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Burrow Recruiting Collins - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Burrow Recruiting Collins (/Thread-Burrow-Recruiting-Collins)

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - Frank Booth - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How much can you possibly know about a player when you can’t even spell his name?

This is not an argument. People still spell Burrow as “Burrows”

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - Nicomo Cosca - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:14 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: This is not an argument. People still spell Burrow as “Burrows”

Which is unforgivable.

Anyway, I guarantee that poster merely saw someone here mention Karras graded out higher at OG than Center, and now they have “serious doubts about him at center.” They probably weren’t even remotely familiar with him before this week.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - TecmoBengals - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which is unforgivable.

Anyway, I guarantee that poster merely saw someone here mention Karras graded out higher at OG than Center, and now they have “serious doubts about him at center.” They probably weren’t even remotely familiar with him before this week.

Karras was impressive during his press conference. He seems thoughtful, intelligent, and mentioned he likes learning offenses. I hope what he demonstrated in the small window of questioning and answering translates to a smart player on the field since he'll be manning the C position.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - jj22 - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How could remaining the same drop us from a Super Bowl team to losing record?

I just don't understand how some of you people think.  It makes no sense.

I thought after we saw what happened to the AFC this offseason we were reminded why it's so hard to get back? If not, look around the AFC..... We've fallen behind. 

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - Science Friction - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How could remaining the same drop us from a Super Bowl team to losing record?

I just don't understand how some of you people think.  It makes no sense.

While "Bengalfan4life27c" has a bit of a "Lou Holtz-speak" style about him, I don't think his point about  the Bengals having a losing record if the roster remained basically the same as last year is nonsensical at all.

In '21-'22 , the Bengals were pretty healthy for the most part and seemed to get a lot of breaks all throughout the season, particularly on their late run. Seemed like we got most every conveivable lucky bounce along the way.  Huypothetically , if we went into this season with that same roster and playing the same schedule, we might finish 7-10 or 8-9. Very possible. Take the same roster and play our '22-'23 schedule and you might be looking at 6-11 or 5-12. So, I don't think the poster's take was outlandishly bad.  Having said that, it looks like our line will be upgraded and our roster somewhat better than last season. Even with the upgraded line , but paired with the tougher schedule, is it ridiculous to think that we could stilll go 8-9 ?   Not at all. It's the NFL. Crazier things have happened.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - fredtoast - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:28 AM)jj22 Wrote:  If not, look around the AFC..... We've fallen behind. 

No we have not.

The people who claim this just are not looking at the players other teams are losing or the holes they still have to fill due to starters who were free agents.  They don't really understand how free agency works.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but is anyone concerned why Jerry Jones was so willing to tell this Top 5 lineman to kick rocks ? I know it saved him some money but Jerry is a guy who will spend some money for a quality product. Also, why isn't there more teams just beating down the door of this ex-Cowboy behemoth to get a shot at him? You would think one of the top linemen in the league would be getting more play from teams. What's up? Something doesn't feel quite right. Help me out.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - fredtoast - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:41 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Maybe I'm alone on this, but is anyone concerned why Jerry Jones was so willing  to tell this Top 5 lineman to kick rocks ?  I know it saved him some money but Jerry is a guy who will spend some money for a quality product. Also, why isn't there more teams just beating down the door of this ex-Cowboy behemoth to get a shot at him?  You would think one of the top linemen in the league would be getting more play from teams. What's up? Something doesn't feel quite right.  Help me out.

There is a common misconception that some teams NEVER lose any players to free agency because the cap is not real.  But that just is not true.

This year the Cowboys have already lost Randy Gregory, Cedric Wilson, and Conner Williams to free agency and traded away Amari Cooper.  Last year we signed Awuzie away from them.  The year before that they lost Byron Jones, Robert Quinn, and Randall Cobb.

No matter how much the juggle the books no team can keep and pay every player they want.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - Sled21 - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No we have not.

The people who claim this just are not looking at the players other teams are losing or the holes they still have to fill due to starters who were free agents.  They don't really understand how free agency works.

Right. After Watson implodes and the Browns don't have a 1st round pick for the next 3 years, we'll see how they are.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - OSUfan - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 11:41 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Maybe I'm alone on this, but is anyone concerned why Jerry Jones was so willing  to tell this Top 5 lineman to kick rocks ?  I know it saved him some money but Jerry is a guy who will spend some money for a quality product. Also, why isn't there more teams just beating down the door of this ex-Cowboy behemoth to get a shot at him?  You would think one of the top linemen in the league would be getting more play from teams. What's up? Something doesn't feel quite right.  Help me out.

The Cowboys have salary cap issues. It is not just a issue of open checkbook or not. It is about if the checks that are being written fall within the confines of the bank account they are being written on and each team has to operate under the same account amount. If that account has not been responsibly managed in previous years in looking to the future then there must be budget cuts made to operations.

(03-20-2022, 11:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: I thought after we saw what happened to the AFC this offseason we were reminded why it's so hard to get back? If not, look around the AFC..... We've fallen behind. 

We have not fallen behind as we have made upgrades in the weakest areas. I am not following how you have arrived at your conclusion. The Browns for example had to make absolutely major moves to improve where they ended. Other teams will not have to work as hard. The Cowboys are in trouble because they have not been responsible with their salary cap. The Bengals have been responsible which has placed them in position to make improvements to their weakest points without taking major losses in other areas.

(03-20-2022, 12:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The Cowboys have salary cap issues. It is not just a issue of open checkbook or not. It is about if the checks that are being written fall within the confines of the bank account they are being written on and each team has to operate under the same account amount. If that account has not been responsibly managed in previous years in looking to the future then there must be budget cuts made to operations.

Thank you.  Still, one would think a top 5-10 lineman who is fairly affordable would be getting more attention.  Are teams worried about his hip?  His character? 

(03-20-2022, 08:57 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: We don’t know what the offer is, you’re right. But based on my 15 years on intently following the Bengals, I’m gonna say it’s about the money/guaranteed money. The Cap is real. It’s also bendable. So many ways to creat more cap space. Bengals rarely rarely rarely use any of those methods.

And they shouldn't. Staying fiscally responsible is what has enabled them to make drastic interior line improvements (the weakest area on offense) without having to take major losses in other areas. The Cowboys have "bent" the cap and "created" cap space and this offseason is a clear example of it coming back to haunt them. So you are an advocate of the guaranteed money that Cousins got or that Watson got more guaranteed money than Rodgers? Guarantees are what will kill this league just ask MLB.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - WVUHomer - 03-20-2022

Since he left and, to the bane of BFine, I don't feel like it deserves it's own thread but any idea where these other "visits" are scheduled to?

Speculation of Miami and TB was posted here but do we know if he actually has these visits planned or if this may just be a ploy to get us to cave on structure?

(03-20-2022, 11:01 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Even though we made a superbowl if we dont fix RT we more than likely won't have a winning record next year. If we dont see significant improvement out of the LG spot that's 2 players on a line consistently losing 1 on 1 matchups.  Even if the other 3 are probowl caliber (I have serious doubts with Caras at C as opposed to G) That would still be a bad line

This post literally made my head hurt. The weak link on this offensive line was not RT and that was even after the Reiff injury. The interior of the line was absolutely the weak link. This team has made serious improvements on that front. 

Burrow Recruiting Collins - BenZoo2 - 03-20-2022

I for one am still hopeful we will land Collins. Perhaps he doesn’t get exactly what wants from the next team he visits. Maybe he gives the bengals the chance to match another offer. I would have preferred we wrapped this up when he was here but it takes two to tango.

There are still options out there so no need to panic just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - WVUHomer - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 12:19 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I for one am still hopeful we will land Collins.  Perhaps he doesn’t get exactly what wants from the next team he visits.  Maybe he gives the bengals the chance to match another offer.  I would have preferred we wrapped this up when he was here but it takes two to tango.  

There are still options out there so no need to panic just yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very possible that he prefer the comradirie (spelling?) of the whole team and the absolute awesome fan base we have to accept the structuring issues.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - WeezyBengal - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 12:21 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Very possible that he prefer the comradirie (spelling?) of the whole team and the absolute awesome fan base we have to accept the structuring issues.

This is a complete fantasy. This goes along the lines of thinking players will sign here solely because we have Joe at QB. 

Players want MONEY first and foremost. Give them the MONEY and it will happen. 

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - psychdoctor - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 12:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is a complete fantasy. This goes along the lines of thinking players will sign here solely because we have Joe at QB. 

Players want MONEY first and foremost. Give them the MONEY and it will happen. 

Indications are it wasn't about the money. And until he signs elsewhere, there's still a chance.

RE: Burrow Recruiting Collins - Nicomo Cosca - 03-20-2022

(03-20-2022, 12:16 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Since he left and, to the bane of BFine, I don't feel like it deserves it's own thread but any idea where these other "visits" are scheduled to?

Speculation of Miami and TB was posted here but do we know if he actually has these visits planned or if this may just be a ploy to get us to cave on structure?

Miami has supposedly put pursuing Collins on hold to go after Armstead. Considering we haven’t heard anything confirmed on another visit anywhere else, I really think this is a tactic from his agent.