Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
D line draft drought finally over? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: D line draft drought finally over? (/Thread-D-line-draft-drought-finally-over)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - SHRacerX - 08-25-2018

(08-24-2018, 07:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 2016....Kevid Dodd or Mackensie Alexander in the first round?  Braxton Miller in the second?

2017....2nd round pick Adam Bisnowaty has racked up a total of one start in 2 years on a team with one of the worst O-lines in the league and 3rd round pick Tyler Orlosky has not even made an NFL roster.  Too bad we didn't have you drafting to fix our O-line, right?  Of course we could have been set at WR if we had taken Amara Darbroh in the 2nd round.  And Jaylen Myrick and Jake Butt in the third was a brilliant move.  How silly of the Jags to wait til the 7th round to take Myrick and Denver to take BUtt in the fifth.

And from 2017:  

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 13 (ARI): John Ross, WR, Washington (B+)
Round 2 Pick 9: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (A-)
Round 2 Pick 13 (ARI): Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (B-)
Round 3 Pick 9: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 9: Jake Butt, TE, Michigan (A)
Round 4 Pick 31 (COMP): Elijah Lee, OLB, Kansas State (B+)
Round 5 Pick 9: D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss (C-)
Round 5 Pick 32 (COMP): Ifeadi Odenigbo, DE, Northwestern (D)
Round 6 Pick 9: Damien Mama, OG, Southern California (C-)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee (B)
Round 7 Pick 9: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (B+)
Round 7 Pick 33 (COMP): Pita Taumoepenu, OLB, Utah (D)

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Bengalitis - 08-25-2018

(08-23-2018, 02:09 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Do you ever have anything positive to say?

This is a false statement, BTW:

- Leon Hall
- AJ
- Andy
- Whitworth himself

I can go on for days.

If they (Atkins & Dunlap) get extensions I will definitely say something positive.  The team knew what they were doing wrong and still did it by letting Withworth & Z go.  Sanu & M. Jones is another great pair we lost.  Their draft experiments have failed to replace all four of them. It's no wonder other teams keep the bengals phone number on speed dial.

For reference:  https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/13/14587898/what-if-bengals-lose-whitworth-zeitler-and-kirkpatrick

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Sled21 - 08-25-2018

(08-25-2018, 12:08 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If they (Atkins & Dunlap) get extensions I will definitely say something positive.  The team knew what they were doing wrong and still did it by letting Withworth & Z go.  Sanu & M. Jones is another great pair we lost.  Their draft experiments have failed to replace all four of them. It's no wonder other teams keep the bengals phone number on speed dial.

For reference:  https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/2/13/14587898/what-if-bengals-lose-whitworth-zeitler-and-kirkpatrick

People keep acting like the front office just screwed the pooch letting Whit and Jones go. Whit was offered a 1 year deal, which for a player his age with prior knee injuries, was a smart move. He choose the same money (for 1 year) in LA for a 3 year deal. Giving him a 3 year deal would not have been a smart move. Sure, it turned out he is still playing at a high level, but that is hindsight and is pretty much an anomaly. The smart thing was to move on, our problem is Fischer and Og suck. As for Jones, he was offered the exact same deal here as he took in Detroit, because he wanted to be a #1. That's not a screw up, they offered him #1 money, he didn't want to stay and be a #2. Again, not on the front office, unless you just want to overpay players.....

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Socal Bengals fan - 08-25-2018

(08-25-2018, 12:08 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: If they (Atkins & Dunlap) get extensions I will definitely say something positive.  The team knew what they were doing wrong and still did it by letting Withworth & Z go.  Sanu & M. Jones is another great pair we lost.  Their draft experiments have failed to replace all four of them. It's no wonder other teams keep the bengals phone number on speed dial.

Johnathan Joseph was a big screw up. 1 ,2,3 here come the Bengals apologist.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - XsandOs - 08-25-2018

(08-22-2018, 01:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great post Racer, should be a fun season watching this rotation.

Have to give Paulie G a little cred in changing this thought process and finally drafting shorter, lighter, quicker Ends.

He was the one who said it doesn't matter how big they are if they cannot do the job and he was correct.

Liking what Austin has been doing here and hey, even my Haslett hate has died down a bit with the emergence of
Evans and Vigil.

That's been the mentality for some time here. When Hugh Jackson came back from Oakland, he commented about how much the Bengals have changed. He said he was amazed at how much taller the players were, especially at DE.

That's why Hunt and Clark were drafted and MJ was brought back. It made sense when Steelers had those behemoth, steroid enhanced offensive lines.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-25-2018

(08-25-2018, 01:54 PM)XsandOs Wrote: That's been the mentality for some time here. When Hugh Jackson came back from Oakland, he commented about how much the Bengals have changed. He said he was amazed at how much taller the players were, especially at DE.

That's why Hunt and Clark were drafted and MJ was brought back. It made sense when Steelers had those behemoth, steroid enhanced offensive lines.

Yeah, it just doesn't matter if they have no bend and cannot get to the QB like MJ, Hunt and Clark shown.

Hence drafting playmakers regardless of size is the way to go.

Lawson, Willis and Hubbard can do the job that those types cannot.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - ochocincos - 08-25-2018

My thoughts after reading this thread...
[Image: hnaim.jpg]

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Socal Bengals fan - 08-26-2018

(08-25-2018, 02:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, it just doesn't matter if they have no bend and cannot get to the QB like MJ, Hunt and Clark shown.

Hence drafting playmakers regardless of size is the way to go.

Lawson, Willis and Hubbard can do the job that those types cannot.

Bingo. Us fans have been wanting change for a while now.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - fredtoast - 08-26-2018

(08-25-2018, 09:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: And from 2017:  

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 13 (ARI): John Ross, WR, Washington (B+)
Round 2 Pick 9: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (A-)
Round 2 Pick 13 (ARI): Pat Elflein, C/OG, Ohio State (B-)
Round 3 Pick 9: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 4 Pick 9: Jake Butt, TE, Michigan (A)
Round 4 Pick 31 (COMP): Elijah Lee, OLB, Kansas State (B+)
Round 5 Pick 9: D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss (C-)
Round 5 Pick 32 (COMP): Ifeadi Odenigbo, DE, Northwestern (D)
Round 6 Pick 9: Damien Mama, OG, Southern California (C-)
Round 6 Pick 33 (COMP): Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee (B)
Round 7 Pick 9: Zane Gonzalez, K, Arizona State (B+)
Round 7 Pick 33 (COMP): Pita Taumoepenu, OLB, Utah (D)

Wow.  Don't know why you aren't working fior the Bengals.  That way we could have gotten first round picks like Mccaffert and Conley in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Look, I used to spend a lot of time in the draft forum.  I know exactly how it works.  Guys like you use 20/20 hindsight to criticize the bengals picks, but if you go back and look at their pre-draft picks they are no better than any NFL team.  Instead they just use selective memory to act like they would have made better picks than the Bengals.

Same things happens with decisions the Bengals coaching staff makes on Sundays.  Fans use hindsight to decide if the right call was made.

(08-26-2018, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow.  Don't know why you aren't working fior the Bengals.  That way we could have gotten first round picks like Mccaffert and Conley in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Look, I used to spend a lot of time in the draft forum.  I know exactly how it works.  Guys like you use 20/20 hindsight to criticize the bengals picks, but if you go back and look at their pre-draft picks they are no better than any NFL team.  Instead they just use selective memory to act like they would have made better picks than the Bengals.

Same things happens with decisions the Bengals coaching staff makes on Sundays.  Fans use hindsight to decide if the right call was made.

I guarantee you some Bengals fAns have hit on more draft picks than the Bengals have. Besides the interviews we all have the same game tape as the players. And it’s football you don’t need to have a biochemical engineering major to see who has great instincts , has football speed etc.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Beaker - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 01:39 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I guarantee you  some Bengals fAns have hit on more draft picks than the Bengals have.  

Nope. Some will say they have. Some also may have gotten lucky in a specific year. But over time, the Bengals have been far more consistent at picking talent than anyone on these forums.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Synric - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 01:39 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I guarantee you  some Bengals fAns have hit on more draft picks than the Bengals have.  Besides the interviews we all have the same game tape as the players. And it’s football you don’t need to have a biochemical engineering major to see who has great instincts , has football speed etc.

(08-26-2018, 01:55 PM)Beaker Wrote: Nope. Some will say they have. Some also may have gotten lucky in a specific year. But over time, the Bengals have been far more consistent at picking talent than anyone on these forums.

^Yep.

Also the Bengals get more out of their draft picks than most other teams in the NFL too.

Edit: 2nd grade grammar mistakes lol.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - fredtoast - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 01:39 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I guarantee you  some Bengals fAns have hit on more draft picks than the Bengals have.  Besides the interviews we all have the same game tape as the players. And it’s football you don’t need to have a biochemical engineering major to see who has great instincts , has football speed etc.

I played football at a very small school, but I played for some great coaches.

Believe me they see A LOT more on a game film than you would.  And these guys are a big level below NFL coaches and scouts.  I remember a coach showing us how a CB on the right side of the field lining up about 2 feet out of position (on inside shoulder of receiver instead of outside) ended up effecting the entire cover scheme leading to a completion down the opposit sideline.  Football seems easy to fans like us because we don't know enough to see how complicated it really is.

And projecting college performance to the NFL is another skill.  Even the "experts" fail more often than they want to admit.  Even good teams have high draft picks that flop, and every year there are lots of players taken in the later rounds (or not drafted at all) that end up better than a lot of guys drafted in the high and middle rounds.

Tremendous job of scouting in 2015. Ogbuehi n Fisher were amazing picks. Glad all that scouting paid off. I guarantee you a bunch of us hated those picks as soon as they were made, well except for the Bengal fans who act like Bengals can do no wrong. Both those scrubs were not that great in college and had the size of a over grown TE who had no base to play tackle. Common sense would help. You guys give them way too much credit , fans are smarter than you think. Well except for jackeypoo he seems little off. Jk

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Luvnit2 - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 02:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Tremendous job of scouting in 2015.  Ogbuehi n Fisher were amazing picks.  Glad all that scouting paid off.  I guarantee you a bunch of us hated those picks as soon as they were made, well except for the Bengal fans who act like Bengals can do no wrong.  Both those scrubs were not that great in college and had the size of a over grown TE who had no base to play tackle.  Common sense would help. You guys give them way too much credit , fans are smarter than you think. Well except for jackeypoo he seems little off. Jk

Great hind sight, but just that. Who were you exact picks you selected at the same time the Bengals turned in their card (pick) knowing who was available. My guess is you did not offer ahead of time your picks for all 7 rounds and updated them as the draft progressed and guys were on the board unexpectedly or gone unexpectedly when you did your board. Actually my guess you did little homework, relied on others for your analysis and did not scout or talk to one draft pick.

But, why don't we do this, next year we do an online Bengals only draft, fans can choose the player available for every pick prior to them announcing it. Then we can save it and see all of the genius fans out there so we can recommend ML and Katie hire them for future drafts.  Smirk

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Beaker - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 02:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Tremendous job of scouting in 2015.  Ogbuehi n Fisher were amazing picks.  Glad all that scouting paid off.  I guarantee you a bunch of us hated those picks as soon as they were made, well except for the Bengal fans who act like Bengals can do no wrong.  Both those scrubs were not that great in college and had the size of a over grown TE who had no base to play tackle.  Common sense would help. You guys give them way too much credit , fans are smarter than you think. Well except for jackeypoo he seems little off. Jk

Teams miss on picks too. And O line has become much more of a crap shoot since college teams all seem to play the spread offense where lineman aren't expected to sustain their blocks as long as in a pro style offense. There's a reason teams like Iowa, Stanford and Wisconsin tend to keep churning out pro ready O linemen. 

The drafting of those two was for sound reasons. We knew Smith and Whitworth didn't have too many ears left. Good teams plan for those events. The plans go awry when neither pick pans out. And for the most part, fans are not smarter than you think.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - SHRacerX - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow.  Don't know why you aren't working fior the Bengals.  That way we could have gotten first round picks like Mccaffert and Conley in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

This was a sim, pinhead, and it showed that I knew good talent and took them when they were still there.  

I am not simply criticizing the Bengals.  Far from it.  I just really didn't like the Jefferson and Walton picks when Orlando Brown and Griffin were still on the board.  We still have issues at LB and OT, so is it wrong to point out that those issues are still there?  

I have largely applauded the draft, as I did the previous year with Ross.  I loved that selection.  

You, on the other hand, seem to just sit in the weeds and wait to pounce on anyone with an opinion that questions the almighty NFL Bengal Brass.  Have fun with that.  I just ignore you because you seem to only want to argue and I want to improve our team. 

(08-26-2018, 03:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great hind sight, but just that. Who were you exact picks you selected at the same time the Bengals turned in their card (pick) knowing who was available. My guess is you did not offer ahead of time your picks for all 7 rounds and updated them as the draft progressed and guys were on the board unexpectedly or gone unexpectedly when you did your board. Actually my guess you did little homework, relied on others for your analysis and did not scout or talk to one draft pick.

But, why don't we do this, next year we do an online Bengals only draft, fans can choose the player available for every pick prior to them announcing it. Then we can save it and see all of the genius fans out there so we can recommend ML and Katie hire them for future drafts.  Smirk

They did shitty. Just admit it. I remember I wanted Brown DT that Patriots drafted , not sure how’s he’s doing but think he’s a starter. And in round 2 I wanted Wr Lockett who kinda sucked ass last year but was good the year before. I don’t understand the full butt hurt some of you get. We are just fans rooting for a football team. Unless mike brown or Ogbuehi is related to you i Find it silly Sone get so offended that some fans don’t like certain players. Nothing personal Iv never met MJ, Ogbuehi or Fisher but they all suck at the sport of football. Calm down dude have a beer. It’s ok that admit the Bengals did something wrong, I’ll still call you a fan.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - Luvnit2 - 08-26-2018

(08-26-2018, 09:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: They did shitty.  Just admit it. I remember I wanted Brown DT that Patriots drafted , not sure how’s he’s doing but think he’s a starter.  And in round 2 I wanted Wr Lockett who kinda sucked ass last year but was good the year before. I don’t understand the full butt hurt some of you get.  We are just fans rooting for a football team.  Unless mike brown or Ogbuehi is related to you i Find it silly  Sone get so offended that some fans don’t like certain players. Nothing personal Iv never met MJ, Ogbuehi or Fisher but they all suck at the sport of football.  Calm down dude have a beer. It’s ok that admit the Bengals did something wrong, I’ll still call you a fan.

You need the dose of reality and comprehension skills. I said they missed.

But, I don't pretend after the fact (draft completed) I know or knew more than those drafting. You are the legend in your own mind and can't admit you are an expert wanna be. I made you an offer to pick live in 2019 to test your skills, let's do it for fun. It will take 3 to 5 years to properly analyze each other's drafts with years of data or non data if I got does not pan out.

RE: D line draft drought finally over? - I_C_DeadPeople - 08-27-2018

Actually the Bengals draft very well overall, but they have been at best average at coaching the picks to get on the field faster and too slow to admit and adjust to draft picks that do not work out.