Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
John Ross on leave - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: John Ross on leave (/Thread-John-Ross-on-leave)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: John Ross on leave - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 06:33 PM)Tony Wrote: I like Ross, but it's not working out. I don't see him making the team....

No you don't; if you did, you wouldn't have said that.

RE: John Ross on leave - coachmcneil71 - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 05:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I doubt that ever happens, as much as I would love it to.
Chad is 36th on the all-time rec yards list with plenty of WRs ahead of him who are not in yet.

Someone who had a very similar career to Chad was Roddy White, who played same number of years (11) and only had 196 fewer yards and 4 fewer TDs. When adding playoff numbers (379-3 for Roddy, 108-0 for Chad), White is only 1 TD behind Chad and actually has 65 more yards than Chad.

Would you consider Roddy White to be HOF-worthy? Most people probably wouldn't even though he had a very good career.

You're right, but man he was good.

RE: John Ross on leave - bfine32 - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 05:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I doubt that ever happens, as much as I would love it to.
Chad is 36th on the all-time rec yards list with plenty of WRs ahead of him who are not in yet.

Someone who had a very similar career to Chad was Roddy White, who played same number of years (11) and only had 196 fewer yards and 4 fewer TDs. When adding playoff numbers (379-3 for Roddy, 108-0 for Chad), White is only 1 TD behind Chad and actually has 65 more yards than Chad.

Would you consider Roddy White to be HOF-worthy? Most people probably wouldn't even though he had a very good career.

But one thing we must remember it's not the Hall of Statistics, it's the Hall of Fame. The same dynamic that has kept the Ken's out may just get Ocho in (fame)

RE: John Ross on leave - ochocincos - 08-14-2020

(08-14-2020, 09:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But one thing we must remember it's not the Hall of Statistics, it's the Hall of Fame. The same dynamic that has kept the Ken's out may just get Ocho in (fame)

True, but most of the voters think having fun is against the rules. You gotta be serious all the time!

RE: John Ross on leave - Nicomo Cosca - 08-15-2020

(08-14-2020, 06:33 PM)Tony Wrote: I like Ross, but it's not working out. I don't see him making the team....

Wut

(08-14-2020, 07:13 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: You're right, but man he was good.

Yes he was. He was pretty much the main reason I got back into the Bengals after a long period of indifference.

RE: John Ross on leave - Tony - 08-15-2020

(08-14-2020, 07:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No you don't; if you did, you wouldn't have said that.

No consistency and is made of glass. I was n.nm in board when we drafted him but it's just woring here. I LOVE  his talent though. He just doesn't have the love or drive for football..Give the spot to Tate and or Erickson....

(08-15-2020, 04:19 AM)Tony Wrote: No consistency and is made of glass. I was n.nm in board when we drafted him but it's just woring here. I LOVE  his talent though. He just doesn't have the love or drive for football..Give the spot to Tate and or Erickson....

I wish people would stop saying this unless they have firsthand knowledge on the matter.

RE: John Ross on leave - BengalChris - 08-15-2020

IMO, he's done with the Bengals. People just haven't realized that yet.

For all intents and purposes, he's decided to go be with infected people and he's likely already infected. He'll get out of shape, as sick people do. He'll recover from the virus, at some point. He might return then, and he'll practice for a week or so, then he'll have some tightness in his hammy, which will sideline him for a few more weeks. Then the season will be over, unless the team makes the playoffs. To expect something different out of him would be rather silly.

Just scratch that #11 off the roster. I'm certain that's what Taylor has already done.

RE: John Ross on leave - bfine32 - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 04:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wish people would stop saying this unless they have firsthand knowledge on the matter.

I think the reason for this OP is an example. I'm sure JR's son would be taken care of without JR having to return to Cali and if not I'm sure JR could pay for care. Kids are quite resilient to they illness. Couple that with him averaging 8 games per season in his career and it's fair to question the desire to sacrifice. 

Is he "wrong" for returning home? That's not my decision to make, but it does show a lack of dedication to the team. Tom Brady has everything in the world, yet he risked personal safety and broke rules to ensure he did everything he could to help the Bucs be successful this year. 

RE: John Ross on leave - WestCoastBengalsFan - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 10:42 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think the reason for this OP is an example. I'm sure JR's son would be taken care of without JR having to return to Cali and if not I'm sure JR could pay for care. Kids are quite resilient to they illness. Couple that with him averaging 8 games per season in his career and it's fair to question the desire to sacrifice. 

Is he "wrong" for returning home? That's not my decision to make, but it does show a lack of dedication to the team. Tom Brady has everything in the world, yet he risked personal safety and broke rules to ensure he did everything he could to help the Bucs be successful this year. 

I really hope this is a terrible attempt at a troll post, otherwise I have to question your ability to be a functioning human with a scrap of any decency. The guy's 3 yr old kid has a disease that caused the world to shut down, of course he's going to be there. Questioning his desire to sacrifice for the team is about the dumbest correlation you can make in this scenario.

(08-15-2020, 11:26 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I really hope this is a terrible attempt at a troll post, otherwise I have to question your ability to be a functioning human with a scrap of any decency. The guy's 3 yr old kid has a disease that caused the world to shut down, of course he's going to be there. Questioning his desire to sacrifice for the team is about the dumbest correlation you can make in this scenario.

Absolutely no reason for a personal attack.

I clearly said it's not my place to say if it was right or wrong. I simply gave my view on how it can be perceived; it's why I started with "I think the OP is an example".

Given my opinion has been formed by a person who has been on numerous deployments and watching numerous "functioning humans with all scraps of decency" not miss a beat through family births, illnesses, and deaths and they did this for their families.

Folks both on and off the field like to use the analogy of football is war. Maybe they're wrong. 

RE: John Ross on leave - WestCoastBengalsFan - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 11:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Absolutely no reason for a personal attack.

I clearly said it's not my place to say if it was right or wrong. I simply gave my view on how it can be perceived; it's why I started with "I think the OP is an example".

Given my opinion has been formed by a person who has been on numerous deployments and watching numerous "functioning humans with all scraps of decency" not miss a beat through family births, illnesses, and deaths and they did this for their families.

Folks both on and off the field like to use the analogy of football is war. Maybe they're wrong. 

You're the one who typed what you wrote, own it instead of deflecting. Questioning his dedication is garbage, let him be there for his son and leave it at that. All I'm saying on the matter, have a nice weekend.

RE: John Ross on leave - GreenCornBengal - 08-15-2020

Anyone who thinks dedication to the 2-14 Bengals is more important than being with his child probably doesn’t have children. People using this as another bullet in their attack against Ross are pathetic.

(08-15-2020, 11:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Absolutely no reason for a personal attack.

(08-15-2020, 11:39 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: You're the one who typed what you wrote, own it instead of deflecting. Questioning his dedication is garbage, let him be there for his son and leave it at that. All I'm saying on the matter, have a nice weekend.

I clearly "owned it". I think maybe you should step back and look at what was actually said instead of getting wrapped up in your emotions and insults. 

(08-15-2020, 11:43 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Anyone who thinks dedication to the 2-14 Bengals is more important than being with his child probably doesn’t have children. People using this as another bullet in their attack against Ross are pathetic.

Assuming I'm considered one of the "pathetic" people this post was directed toward. But I've never classified one "more important" than the other, That's for each individual to decide for themselves. And whichever choice that individual makes I'll not consider them pathetic. 

RE: John Ross on leave - BengalChris - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 11:26 AM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: I really hope this is a terrible attempt at a troll post, otherwise I have to question your ability to be a functioning human with a scrap of any decency. The guy's 3 yr old kid has a disease that caused the world to shut down, of course he's going to be there. Questioning his desire to sacrifice for the team is about the dumbest correlation you can make in this scenario.

I'm with bfine on this one.

How exactly does exposing yourself to a contagious disease show that you care? I'm dying to hear the logic in that one.

All it tells me is that he's being irrationally emotional. He could say hello through a closed window and camp a tent on the front lawn for a few days or even a couple of weeks. But to expose himself?

It's just so unnecessary to expose oneself to the disease. Unless it really isn't deadly at all and then exposure wouldn't be that big of a deal, inwhich case there would be no need to visit in the first place. Which is it?

RE: John Ross on leave - SHRacerX - 08-15-2020

(08-14-2020, 11:08 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will never get why some root for a player's demise

I totally understand missing out on what appears to be the greatest QB of this generation (Mahommes) who went a pick after Ross.  However, the lack of empathy to what the guy has dealt with so far in his career and lack of support to hope he shows consistently what he has flashed is somewhat disturbing.  

I think a lot of it comes from where he was drafted and the value of his contract.  In other words, I doubt people would care if he were a 7th round pick.  It may seem like a "wasted pick" or a "luxury pick" given the offensive line troubles and overall struggles of the club.  

We are all about the Bengals winning a Super Bowl, right?  I think Ross being on the roster and performing is a critical step for this offense.  He may even be able to make a couple plays that win games this year.  Everything up to this point has led to new coaches, a new QB, and a massive turnover of the roster.  If they make a run with Ross, I hope he gets some of the love we have heaped on the likes of AJ Green, Eifert, and Dennard.  All of who have missed significant time due to injury, but have also produced and had consistent, full seasons.

RE: John Ross on leave - SHRacerX - 08-15-2020

But there was a two year period that you could say Chad was the best in the NFL.  Not Roddy White.  It isn't always compiling, but how you compared with your peers in a given time frame.  Look at my guy Kurt Warner.  

RE: John Ross on leave - GreenCornBengal - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 12:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Assuming I'm considered one of the "pathetic" people this post was directed toward. But I've never classified one "more important" than the other, That's for each individual to decide for themselves. And whichever choice that individual makes I'll not consider them pathetic. 

Whelp, I guess that’s where you and I differ. I think anyone who uses this as another way to diss Ross is indeed pathetic.

Your post insinuates that Ross should just throw money at the problem and disregards that there is any sort of connection between Ross and his child. To me, this says that you think football IS more important and that he should have done that.