Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now (/Thread-Mixon-s-Migrane-Should-Be-Good-Now)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - George Cantstandya - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 05:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Joe runs hard every play, and has proven he can get yardage behind a so so offensive line. As the line improves, so will he. I expect a big year from him barring injury, and if we were going to pay him a big contract, now is the time to do it while we have Burrow on the cheap. This team is shaping up to be loaded....

That is kind of what I was thinking as well.  The Bengals don't have any other big names coming up that might need a huge contract in the next year or two that I can think of.  Burrow, if he is what we all hope he is, will have a good 2 years before that big money contract even starts to become a discussion.  And that's if he totally lights it up in the next two years.   The only other person I can think of is AJ next year and again he will have to stay healthy and have a great year to earn a big contract next year.

I suppose when thinking about the cap and Mixon's cost there is some concern about any big name free agents next year if the Bengals want to spend heavy again.  

I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to figuring it all out money wise or knowing a lot about players that may be in line for a payday next year.  But it seems for now his deal isn't going to hinder the Bengals too much.

Edit: Also maybe the Mods could edit the title of this thread to something like "Mixon gets a new contract", because it seems a few others are not seeing that is what this thread is about and starting their own.

Mixon Gets huge raise - Luvnit2 - 09-01-2020

https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-signing-rb-joe-mixon-to-4-year-extension
Good to see

RE: Mixon Gets huge raise - GreenCornBengal - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 05:20 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/bengals-signing-rb-joe-mixon-to-4-year-extension
Good to see

Woah, I hadn’t heard yet!....

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 09-01-2020

I was a guy who thought $10 mil was the ceiling for a back who does not play much in passing downs/3rd downs.

However, $12 mil a year is only a SLIGHT overpay, and we still have him at $1.7 this year. So for my two cents, that averages out to $10 mil a year.

I am not an expert on NFL contracts, but I assume his signing bonus is part of that $48? And that he gets some of that this year? If both things are true, it looks more like 5/50 rather than 4/48 to me.

Anyway, perhaps a little extra goodwill on this deal (while we have some cap room) buys us a discount on the NEXT deal (if there is one), when things will be tighter.

Burrow. Mixon. Boyd. Green. Williams. Some pretty solid building blocks there, to say the least. We'll see how Higgins, Tate, Ross, the TEs, and the rest of the O-line does. But WR is deep. Hope we keep 7.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - masonbengals fan - 09-01-2020

Good news for Joe and the Bengals.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - Sled21 - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 05:20 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: That is kind of what I was thinking as well.  The Bengals don't have any other big names coming up that might need a huge contract in the next year or two that I can think of.  Burrow, if he is what we all hope he is, will have a good 2 years before that big money contract even starts to become a discussion.  And that's if he totally lights it up in the next two years.   The only other person I can think of is AJ next year and again he will have to stay healthy and have a great year to earn a big contract next year.

Hubbard will be coming due an extension in a year or two I think. Not sure where Geno or Carlos are in their current contracts. The linebackers are all either rookies or under new contracts, so I think they are in pretty good shape for a couple of years.

RE: Mixon Gets huge raise - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 09-01-2020

Well, technically, he'll get a raise next year. I think he gets some of the signing bonus now?

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - Bilbo Saggins - 09-01-2020

Joe be like, "Ouchie guys. Can't practice, my brain hurts."

Katie says, "There, there. Would an extra $10 million sooth what ails you?

I'm ambivalent here. Mixon the player has had flashes of brilliance, but also some stretches where he'll look worse than average. He doesn't really run bigger than his size. He's had long stretches of ~2 yards a pop. Many of his high average games have come off of a long rip or two vs. a steady grind of 4/5 yards a pop.

Mixon the person is good for an oddball comment here or there that makes you pause and scratch your head for a minute. At least he's keeping his nose clean. Ah hell. Nothing in life is perfect. This is all in all a good thing for the team rather than starting over at RB. 

RE: Mixon Gets huge raise - BrownAssClown - 09-01-2020

4 years at 48 million, so 12 per. I thought he would get about 10 per, so good for Joe! WhoDey!

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - George Cantstandya - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 05:31 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Hubbard will be coming due an extension in a year or two I think. Not sure where Geno or Carlos are in their current contracts. The linebackers are all either rookies or under new contracts, so I think they are in pretty good shape for a couple of years.

Geno signed a 4 year contract in 2018 and Carlos a 3 year one in 2018. So they are good for a few more years.  Unless they want to demand more at some point.  

RE: Mixon Gets huge raise - Destro - 09-01-2020

Since this is the Bengals, Mixon's knee is due to explode this season.

Preparing for the worst since 1989.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - Wes Mantooth - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 05:48 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Geno signed a 4 year contract in 2018 and Carlos a 3 year one in 2018.  So they are good for a few more years.  Unless they want to demand more at some point.  

Carlos needs a big year IMHO.  Close to what he did '15.  He's due 13.55 million next season, in his final year.  And he only holds about 2.25 in dead cap weight.

Hubbard will also being going into his final year in 2021.  If he continues to produce the way he has I'd look for the Bengals to lock him early.

That 11.3 mil dollars saved from a Dunlap cut could go really help to move some dollars around.  So that's why I think it's so important for him to produce at a more consistent level.

Keeping  a 32 year DE, who nets you about 8 sacks a season, at 13+ mil, just isn't wise spending.  He really needs to step it up.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - RunKijanaRun - 09-01-2020

This is a good enough deal. I like that we’re getting his prime years, and with a great QB, defense will not be able to key on him.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - mikey6866 - 09-01-2020

This thread is hilarious. Honestly if you dont understand how contracts work dont post. Its 48 million new money and he is signed for the next 5 years at just under 50 million. You can argue 10 or 12 million all day long but we will have to wait for official structure but for all intensive purposes we have mixon locked up for next 5 years for under 50 million total.

For the guy who would rather have marlon mack for a mil less a year ...like what? People are ridiculous these days.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - Au165 - 09-01-2020

Contract details are very favorable, which makes this deal more palatable to me. The fact the Bengals got him to accept a team option for the last year, which most likely isn’t picked up was big.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - WeezyBengal - 09-01-2020

Bengals don't understand how the NFL works these days.

Running backs are a dime a dozen. You draft one, use him, and move on and draft another one for cheap.

This is a bad signing.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - McC - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 06:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Carlos needs a big year IMHO.  Close to what he did '15.  He's due 13.55 million next season, in his final year.  And he only holds about 2.25 in dead cap weight.

Hubbard will also being going into his final year in 2021.  If he continues to produce the way he has I'd look for the Bengals to lock him early.

That 11.3 mil dollars saved from a Dunlap cut could go really help to move some dollars around.  So that's why I think it's so important for him to produce at a more consistent level.

Keeping  a 32 year DE, who nets you about 8 sacks a season, at 13+ mil, just isn't wise spending.  He really needs to step it up.

And bats down a bunch of passes each year and plays the run well and is a team leader and high energy player.

RE: Mixon's Migrane Should Be Good Now - fredtoast - 09-01-2020

(09-01-2020, 04:57 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This doesn't make sense.

He's now valued at 12 mil per, per his extension.  We already held his right rights for the 1.7 mil 2020 season.

If we valued him at 12 million per year he would get paid 60 million over the next 5 years.

But he is only getting $48 million over 5 years with is $9.6 per year.

Doesn't matter how much he gets each individual year.

(09-01-2020, 06:23 PM)McC Wrote: And bats down a bunch of passes each year and plays the run well and is a team leader and high energy player.

Batted passes and run defense don't drive the 10+ mil market for DE's.  It's just not the way it works.

Carlos Dunlap will be 32.75 years old when 2021 opens up, due a whopping 13.25 mil.  He's definitely a potential cap casualty if continues to disappear for chunks of the season.

(09-01-2020, 06:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we valued him at 12 million per year he would get paid 60 million over the next 5 years.

But he is only getting $48 million over 5 years with is $9.6 per year.

Doesn't matter how much he gets each individual year.

This deal is no different then had they waited to sign him after the season, with a brand new 4 year 48 million dollar deal.  If that were to happen he would then be worth... 12 million a year on his new contract.

We set his market value moving forward at 12 million a year.  Period.  End of story.

I can't believe you guys argue such a simple concept.  Yes, over 5 year he makes 9.6 mil.  But the 4 years extended is new money, and reflects his current market value.  The money needed to secure him beyond this season is how you determine the value of the contract. The first year was already in place, which was set 3 years ago.