Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Anybody to re look that draft strategy (/Thread-Anybody-to-re-look-that-draft-strategy)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Yogo - 11-16-2020

HINDSIGHT BUT....

I remember last year when a national football stats analyst girl from NFL network claimed that the Bengals would improve their entire team a ton more if we drafted Chase Young over Burrow (a slight upgrade to the whole TEAM). It was based on WAR or some kind of data analysis. I remember buying into that argument, but here we are now. Imagine if we had stuck to a 4-3 and had Chase chasing QBs around? Just last week, I think he was rated the 2nd best edge rusher that creates sacks for his other defensive mates. Defense helps offense and vise versa. Now we are still in dire need of an edge rusher and an offensive line. So I'm all for drafting the edge rusher Rosseau from THE U (based on our hybrid scheme) and Oline in the 2nd and 3rd now. A 3-4 defensive end won't have much of an impact because they occupy blockers more than cause the threat. We need Rosseau badly especially if Lawson goes elsewhere in free agency. It's a clear choice. I'd be okay with Penei if he drops to us, but Rosseau will be in our range. GOGOGO!

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Yogo - 11-16-2020

(10-26-2020, 12:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, we should draft Pass Rushers, or Coverage guys?

Pass rusher trumps coverage and helps the defensive squad more.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Nicomo Cosca - 11-16-2020

(11-16-2020, 07:19 PM)Yogo Wrote: HINDSIGHT BUT....

I remember last year when a national football stats analyst girl from NFL network claimed that the Bengals would improve their entire team a ton more if we drafted Chase Young over Burrow (a slight upgrade to the whole TEAM). It was based on WAR or some kind of data analysis. I remember buying into that argument, but here we are now. Imagine if we had stuck to a 4-3 and had Chase chasing QBs around? Just last week, I think he was rated the 2nd best edge rusher that creates sacks for his other defensive mates. Defense helps offense and vise versa. Now we are still in dire need of an edge rusher and an offensive line. So I'm all for drafting the edge rusher Rosseau from THE U (based on our hybrid scheme) and Oline in the 2nd and 3rd now. A 3-4 defensive end won't have much of an impact because they occupy blockers more than cause the threat. We need Rosseau badly especially if Lawson goes elsewhere in free agency. It's a clear choice. I'd be okay with Penei if he drops to us, but Rosseau will be in our range. GOGOGO!

Young has been good, but he’s not moved the needle for Washington as much as Burrow has for us. Burrow has given us the chance to win 7 out of 9 games. It’s much easier to find pass rushers than it is a true franchise QB.

And with our luck we would have taken Young and then ended up missing out on Lawrence and Fields next year. Burrow was absolutely the right choice (surprised that still has to be said but i realize it’s a day after a bad loss).

If you’re giving me the choice between a player with Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson type potential or one of the Bosa’s, Watt’s, Garrett, etc it’s an easy decision to me.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - ochocincos - 11-16-2020

(11-16-2020, 07:19 PM)Yogo Wrote: HINDSIGHT BUT....

I remember last year when a national football stats analyst girl from NFL network claimed that the Bengals would improve their entire team a ton more if we drafted Chase Young over Burrow (a slight upgrade to the whole TEAM).  It was based on WAR or some kind of data analysis.  I remember buying into that argument, but here we are now.  Imagine if we had stuck to a 4-3 and had Chase chasing QBs around?  Just last week, I think he was rated the 2nd best edge rusher that creates sacks for his other defensive mates.  Defense helps offense and vise versa.  Now we are still in dire need of an edge rusher and an offensive line.  So I'm all for drafting the edge rusher Rosseau from THE U (based on our hybrid scheme) and Oline in the 2nd and 3rd now.  A 3-4 defensive end won't have much of an impact because they occupy blockers more than cause the threat.  We need Rosseau badly especially if Lawson goes elsewhere in free agency.  It's a clear choice.  I'd be okay with Penei if he drops to us, but Rosseau will be in our range.  GOGOGO!

Not if you get a really good one.
The Steelers have two really good 3-4 DEs who can rush the passer well - Heyward and Tuitt.
Guys who consistently are in the 6-9 sack per year range, which is good.
Their ability to get after the QB just makes it that much easier for Watt and Dupree.

Anybody to re look that draft strategy - JSR18 - 11-16-2020

I don't know about drafting Dline 1st or 2nd until we know what we have in Takk, Mike Daniels, Reader and a healthy Geno...

We may be able to get a shut down CB @ 1 and a Oline or some other need at 3 and/or maybe take Dline with 3 or 4...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Bengal Dude - 11-17-2020

(11-16-2020, 02:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But do you want to pay WJ3 top CB money? Cause that’s probably what his camp will be looking for. They’ll use Waynes contract as a negotiation point.

If we get a new DC in here, then I'd be all for keeping WJ3 with top CB money. If we keep Lou, then I don't see WJ3 staying here at all. I believe there are rumblings already within the FO that Jackson will get the tag if we can't come to terms on a deal. 

One thing that really interests me is if things fall in a way that sees Zimmer return as DC. My understanding is that he didn't really push the FO to re-sign Waynes, Aexander, and Rhodes. I think WJ3 would flourish under Zim's teaching, but I wonder what kind of feelings Waynes has towards Zim.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Yogo - 11-17-2020

(11-16-2020, 07:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Young has been good, but he’s not moved the needle for Washington as much as Burrow has for us. Burrow has given us the chance to win 7 out of 9 games. It’s much easier to find pass rushers than it is a true franchise QB.

And with our luck we would have taken Young and then ended up missing out on Lawrence and Fields next year. Burrow was absolutely the right choice (surprised that still has to be said but i realize it’s a day after a bad loss).

If you’re giving me the choice between a player with Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson type potential or one of the Bosa’s, Watt’s, Garrett, etc it’s an easy decision to me.

I like Burrows, but think about it.  There have been only a handful of players that have been labeled generational talents at their position coming out of college (Andrew Luck, David DeCastro, Chase Young, Trevor Lawrence, Peyton Manning).  Can't really miss with them.  If we had Chase Young and servicable Andy Dalton vs. Burrow and no pass rush, we might have a better overall record right now, like 4 wins. Oh, btw I still didn't get why we didn't get DeCastro and traded down to let the Steelers get him and say that we wanted Zeitler all along. Ah well.

(11-17-2020, 02:08 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If we get a new DC in here, then I'd be all for keeping WJ3 with top CB money. If we keep Lou, then I don't see WJ3 staying here at all. I believe there are rumblings already within the FO that Jackson will get the tag if we can't come to terms on a deal. 

One thing that really interests me is if things fall in a way that sees Zimmer return as DC. My understanding is that he didn't really push the FO to re-sign Waynes, Aexander, and Rhodes. I think WJ3 would flourish under Zim's teaching, but I wonder what kind of feelings Waynes has towards Zim.

I'd be all in for Zimmer as head coach or DC here!  Would not approve of spending big on cover corners without a servicable pass rush.  That's a waste of money and talent.  Draft, trade, free agency for a pass rush first.

(11-16-2020, 07:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not if you get a really good one.
The Steelers have two really good 3-4 DEs who can rush the passer well - Heyward and Tuitt.
Guys who consistently are in the 6-9 sack per year range, which is good.
Their ability to get after the QB just makes it that much easier for Watt and Dupree.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the average, if you look at sack numbers, 3-4 OLBs out sack 3-4 DEs by far.  4-3 DEs are about even with 3-4 OLBs.  I don't really know the numbers on pressures and hits.  Schemes have different roles and responsibilities.  But yeah, the Steelers are stacked.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - ah5 - 11-17-2020

DLINE and OLINE with the 1-7 picks, trade next years 1-7 picks for oline dline and maybe a corner.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Nicomo Cosca - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 04:14 AM)Yogo Wrote: I like Burrows, but think about it.  There have been only a handful of players that have been labeled generational talents at their position coming out of college (Andrew Luck, David DeCastro, Chase Young, Trevor Lawrence, Peyton Manning).  Can't really miss with them.  If we had Chase Young and servicable Andy Dalton vs. Burrow and no pass rush, we might have a better overall record right now, like 4 wins. Oh, btw I still didn't get why we didn't get DeCastro and traded down to let the Steelers get him and say that we wanted Zeitler all along. Ah well.

Young as generational is a bit of a stretch (I think that term is tossed around too much). There is a lot of really great pass rushers around the league. He would have to end being better than Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Myles Garrett, both Bosa brothers...

Generational literally means you’re in a tier of your own, and far and away above all your peers. Jerry Rice was generational. LT was generational, etc.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Nicomo Cosca - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 05:11 AM)ah5 Wrote: DLINE and OLINE with the 1-7 picks, trade next years 1-7 picks for oline dline and maybe a corner.

People won’t like to hear it, but if we have a shot at Ja’Marr Chase I’d absolutely be down to take him. A starting WR group of Chase, Tee, Boyd would be too tempting to pass up, imo.

It sounds like outside of Rousseau there really isn’t a pass rusher worth taking that high in the first anyway. And WR is a huge need since we will be likely moving on from AJ.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Rubekahn29 - 11-17-2020

(11-17-2020, 05:36 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People won’t like to hear it, but if we have a shot at Ja’Marr Chase I’d absolutely be down to take him. A starting WR group of Chase, Tee, Boyd would be too tempting to pass up, imo.

It sounds like outside of Rousseau there really isn’t a pass rusher worth taking that high in the first anyway. And WR is a huge need since we will be likely moving on from AJ.

It would be incredibly tempting and as much as I love Boyd and Tee, neither are as huge of playmaker as Ja'Marr. However, if this happens, they hopefully will have acquired some more help in FA for me to really feel good about it. 

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Nicomo Cosca - 11-22-2020

Nope. The OL is exactly who we thought they were. Having a scrub like Michael Jordan as a starter cost us our franchise QB’s season.

Sewell should 100% be the pick if he’s there.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - coachmcneil71 - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 06:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. The OL is exactly who we thought they were. Having a scrub like Michael Jordan as a starter cost us our franchise QB’s season.

It stinks! It truly does. Ts, I posted over a month ago that we would be lucky if Joe made it through this stretch healthy.

It was easy to see coming. It really was.

Blows!

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - jason - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 06:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. The OL is exactly who we thought they were. Having a scrub like Michael Jordan as a starter cost us our franchise QB’s season.

I was in the camp of going after a defensive playmaker in the draft, but today changed my mind. I'm on vacation, and didn't see the game. I'm glad I didn't.

I stated getting ominous texts from my friends in Columbus saying... That didn't look good.

This sucks.

(11-22-2020, 06:57 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: It stinks! It truly does. Ts, I posted over a month ago that we would be lucky if Joe made it through this stretch healthy.

It was easy to see coming. It really was.

Blows!

For everyone but the clueless morons running this team.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - Bilbo Saggins - 11-22-2020

(11-16-2020, 07:22 PM)Yogo Wrote: Pass rusher trumps coverage and helps the defensive squad more.

Tell that to the Ravens. They actually have taken the opposite stance to this and had great success by blitzing a lot in the past few seasons.

RE: Anybody to re look that draft strategy - bfine32 - 11-22-2020

(11-22-2020, 06:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nope. The OL is exactly who we thought they were. Having a scrub like Michael Jordan as a starter cost us our franchise QB’s season.

I know folks are mad, but Joe was clean when he delivered the ball. 

(11-22-2020, 07:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know folks are mad, but Joe was clean when he delivered the ball. 

Michael Jordan was shoved right back into Burrow’s leg. That’s not the sign of competent OL play.

Regardless, look at how bad they looked the rest of the game (and against every team with a good pass rush). Invest in protection, and maybe the kid won’t have to be Superman to even keep us in games.

I know you’ll never change your mind on a thread you started (just like Andy as a 17 million dollar backup), but the OL is clearly still the biggest problem with this team. The DL also sucking doesn’t really change that.