Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Multiple teams call about Gio - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Multiple teams call about Gio (/Thread-Multiple-teams-call-about-Gio)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Wes Mantooth - 03-25-2021

If you don't like my Chris Carson comparison to the Joe Mixon (I think Carson is the closest example to him) then let's look at a running back who signed an equal contract (4 years 48 million): Aaron Jones.

Mixon and Jones have almost an identical amount of career rushing yards. 3,359 yards for Mixon, 3,364 for Jones. Both in 4 years. But Jones' 37 rushing TD's are almost double that of Joe Mixon's 20. And the worst discrepancy is the yards per carry. Jones has averaged 5.2 yards a pop to Mixon's 4.1!

Jones leads Mixon is every single category. And with almost double the TD's and a FULL YARD more a carry it's no contest.

And before anyone hits me with the "look what OL they ran behind" I understand that matters. But production is what drives contracts in this league. And nothing is going to completely erase those differences in TD's and YPC.

Mixon should have been paid what many of us were either predicting or calling for; about 8-9 mil per. 10 mil and up and you got ripped off, especially when you locked him up early (usually results in some level of discount).

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Forever Spinning Vinyl - 03-25-2021

God, do I hate discussing football with people that play fantasy football. Numbers don't tell the whole story.

Perine is a good re-sign, but he played most of his time when Spain and XSF were the starting guards and playing much better than Jordan, Price, Johnson and Redmond earlier in the year.

Some of you need to stop following the football all of the time and actually pay attention to the game once in awhile.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - TJ528 - 03-25-2021

(03-25-2021, 05:35 PM)Earendil Wrote: How much of that is on the lousy offensive line that lets the runners get hit in the backfield?

if you truly think our OL is going to be that much improved this year I honestly think it MAY approach average.  Last year when the running game was working Taylor called on Burrow to throw the ball 50 times.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Earendil - 03-26-2021

(03-25-2021, 09:51 PM)TJ528 Wrote: if you truly think our OL is going to be that much improved this year I honestly think it MAY approach average.  Last year when the running game was working Taylor called on Burrow to throw the ball 50 times.

I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying that it isn't entirely fair to judge any of our running backs until we see them used properly and with decent holes to run through.  At least getting to the LoS would be a good start.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - TheFan - 03-26-2021

(03-25-2021, 09:51 PM)TJ528 Wrote: if you truly think our OL is going to be that much improved this year I honestly think it MAY approach average.  Last year when the running game was working Taylor called on Burrow to throw the ball 50 times.

I think many would say if our Oline approached even close to "average" that it would be very "much improved" compared to what we've seen past couple years. 

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Trademark - 03-26-2021

Nooo, I don't want Gio to leave Sad

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Joelist - 03-26-2021

Don't think it's a good idea to dump Gio. WE have multiple teams calling for him for a reason - he is the best pass protection back in the NFL. He is also a dangerous weapon out of the backfield and can even do between the tackles when necessary.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - TKUHL - 03-26-2021

(03-25-2021, 02:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well if the goal is to stop Burrow from getting Hit...  based on the OL upgrades we made we need Gio in the backfield.

Hope we hang onto him. I actually like him over Mixon. Better blocker, and I think he has better vision too. I know I’ll catch hell for this but it’s not like I haven’t said it before. Trade Mixon for Ertz and picks. Why not.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Trademark - 03-26-2021

I'd rather keep Gio over Mixon

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-26-2021

I think if multiple teams called about a trade we would be reading about Gio being traded. This just seems like the front office trying to create a market for Gio with this rumor of multiple calls.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - BengalsFanRealist2855 - 03-26-2021

I hear people talking about Mixon on here and I kind of agree,I don't think he should be an every down back. There's a lot of times as big as he is,he gets taken down easy and doesn't have that elite speed either. Theres games he gets nothing going, unless he's playing a bad team and fed the ball a lot. Seems to be a streaky player I guess. But what he did at Oklahoma was he was more of a pass catcher. That's where he excels at.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - pulses - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 02:46 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I hear people talking about Mixon on here and I kind of agree,I don't think he should be an every down back. There's a lot of times as big as he is,he gets taken down easy and doesn't have that elite speed either. Theres games he gets nothing going, unless he's playing a bad team and fed the ball a lot. Seems to be a streaky player I guess. But what he did at Oklahoma was he was more of a pass catcher. That's where he excels at.
Mixon could stand to lose about 15lbs too

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Bengalitis - 03-26-2021

(03-25-2021, 05:23 PM)TJ528 Wrote: I completely agree with you Chez.  I think you can find a better value in the draft than Mixon. 

I thought Mixon would have been our answer after Rudy. And he was for 2 seasons. His blocking is bad and his injuries are becoming AJ-esque. I wouldnt mind trading him.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Nicomo Cosca - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 08:28 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I thought Mixon would have been our answer after Rudy. And he was for 2 seasons. His blocking is bad and his injuries are becoming AJ-esque. I wouldnt mind trading him.

No it’s not.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - kevin - 03-26-2021

(03-25-2021, 02:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

GIO is a good back-up, but he is not UNTOUCHABLE.  What are they offering ?   Bengals aren't looking to get rid of Gio, he serves a need, but if they make an offer you can't refuse.  How high of draft picks are teams offering ?   If teams are offering garbage picks for him, forget it. 

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - BengalsRocker - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 02:11 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think if multiple teams called about a trade we would be reading about Gio being traded. This just seems like the front office trying to create a market for Gio with this rumor of multiple calls.

This^

If there's a way to dump his salary for a draft pick they'll fish for it.

Even if they get bites, the lower the pick or less interest generated can be used to leverage his value for restructure at the least.

I have a hard time believing that Gio is on a hot list for teams looking to trade... and I like Gio!

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - TJ528 - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 08:31 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it’s not.

If his blocking was good we wouldnt need Gio in there on 3rd down to block to make sure JoeyB didnt end up on his ass.  

Mixon is a 2 down back.  1st and 2nd down.  Once you hit 3rd down, Taylor's offense is never going to keep Mixon on the field.

2 down backs dont command $12M when it comes to salary.  

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - Luvnit2 - 03-26-2021

Anyone who wants to keep Gio at $4.1 million salary in 2021, please never complain we don't pay guards enough. Gio is a back up RB who makes more than any starting guard on our roster. I like Gio, but I want the money used to fix the OL making Gio very expendable via trade or a cut if Gio refuses to restructure his deal like many other players are doing as they age and head into a tough cap year for teams.

What did Pats sign James White for in 2021? In my opinion, White is a good or better than Gio.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - jj22 - 03-26-2021

Mixon, not to slam him, asks to come out the game an awful lot if you notice. He's always waving someone in for him. He has every down back potential, but is clearly used to a rb by committee approach.

RE: Multiple teams call about Gio - TJ528 - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 09:41 AM)jj22 Wrote: Mixon, not to slam him, asks to come out the game an awful lot if you notice. He's always waving someone in for him. He has every down back potential, but is clearly used to a rb by committee approach.

You'd think in 4 years of being the focus RB he'd live up to the "potential" of being an every down back.  

Personally, I think in Taylor's offense it's more pass centric so if we were to trade Mixon and Gio that Taylor would be absolutely fine with Perrine and a rookie RB, because his offense doesnt rely on the running game.