Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans (/Thread-Threads-from-the-Enemy-divisional-playoffs-Titans)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - CJD - 01-20-2022

(01-17-2022, 01:10 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: This is the second community i've seen that insists our schedule is light.

Dude, you play the Texans and Jaguars twice a year. That's a quarter of your ***** schedule of EZ claps.

We played 5 playoff teams in the AFC, Green Bay, and the AFC North is tougher than the AFC South. How is out schedule light?

This is just the nature of going from worst to first in a division.

When you place last in a division, you play the 4th place team in each division that you match up in. 

In our case, we played the Jets instead of the Bills, Patriots or Dolphins.
We played the Jaguars instead of the Titans, Colts or Texans.
And we played the 49ers instead of the Seahawks, Rams or Cardinals

We also happened to match up with the AFC West, which is a good division (only 1 sub 500 team), and NFC North this year, where we got to play 3 Sub-500 teams in the Vikings, Bears and Lions.

The Titans, on the other hand, were matched up against the NFC West and AFC East this year, which contained just 2 total sub 500 teams.

I'm not sure why Titans fans are holding our schedule against us. But shrug.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - michaelsean - 01-20-2022

(01-20-2022, 05:03 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This is just the nature of going from worst to first in a division.

When you place last in a division, you play the 4th place team in each division that you match up in. 

In our case, we played the Jets instead of the Bills, Patriots or Dolphins.
We played the Jaguars instead of the Titans, Colts or Texans.
And we played the 49ers instead of the Seahawks, Rams or Cardinals

We also happened to match up with the AFC West, which is a good division (only 1 sub 500 team), and NFC North this year, where we got to play 3 Sub-500 teams in the Vikings, Bears and Lions.

The Titans, on the other hand, were matched up against the NFC West and AFC East this year, which contained just 2 total sub 500 teams.

I'm not sure why Titans fans are holding our schedule against us. But shrug.

They are going to look for anything to feel better about their chances.  They don't want to lose this game and listen to all the "told you they weren't a #1 seed" talk, and that's what they are going to hear if they lose.  It's a crappy position to be in as just about any playoff team can beat any other playoff team on a given day.  It doesn't mean they didn't earn the #1 though. Now some of them have earned the ridicule that would come, acting like they've ruled the NFL this year.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - BigStripedCat - 01-21-2022

The below is in response to "Is it just me or do others expect the Titans to blow-out the Bengals?"

"I’m kind of leaning more towards this as well.  Maybe not blowout, but a pretty strong double-digit victory.

On the match ups that matter most, the Titans have a distinct advantage.

The things the Bengals want to do, the Titans are built to disrupt.  
The things the Bengals have problems with, the Titans are built to exploit.

Meanwhile, the Bengals are not really built to exploit the Titans deficiencies.

Its the Divisional rounds and there are no easy games.  And the Titans can ABSOLUTELY screw the pooch.

But even the intelligent prognosticators out there are all starting to pick the Titans as the initial Burrow Lust fades a bit."

Some contradictory stats that jump out at me are:
Bengals offense is top 10 in passing yards of plays for 20+ and 40+ yards, while Titans pass D is bottom 10 in both of these

Titans offense has 5th ranked rushing yards on the season, Bengals rush defense is ranked 5th

And if you say 'Aha, I've gotcha! If you look at what really matters, YPC, the Bengals defense drops way down to 16th!', my response is, sure but let's be consistent. See where the Titans drop to when you do the same for their rush offense YPC: a lowly 21st.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Tony - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 01:10 AM)BigStripedCat Wrote: The below is in response to "Is it just me or do others expect the Titans to blow-out the Bengals?"

"I’m kind of leaning more towards this as well.  Maybe not blowout, but a pretty strong double-digit victory.

Its the Divisional rounds and there are no easy games.  And the Titans can ABSOLUTELY screw the pooch.

But even the intelligent prognosticators out there are all starting to pick the Titans as the initial Burrow Lust fades a bit."

Bengals offense is top 10 in passing yards of plays for 20+ and 40+ yards, while Titans pass D is bottom 10 in both of these

Titans offense has 5th ranked rushing yards on the season, Bengals rush defense is ranked 5th

And if you say 'Aha, I've gotcha! If you look at what really matters, YPC, the Bengals defense drops way down to 16th!', my response is, sure but let's be consistent. See where the Titans drop to when you do the same for their rush offense YPC: a lowly 21st.

They have a set of bottom 5 dbs in the NFL.. I dont get how they don't see this as a dis advantage. Higgins,  Boyd and  Chase are gonna destroy them...

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - pdub2005 - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 01:10 AM)BigStripedCat Wrote: The below is in response to "Is it just me or do others expect the Titans to blow-out the Bengals?"

If Burrow gets any time, then the Titans are in trouble. When we can actually pass block, there are no defensive backfields in the NFL that can stop our QB and receivers. You shutdown one or two of them, and then you have the other to worry about, and even Uzomah can make you pay. If the line plays even decently, then I see this being a tough game for the Titans. Even if the line stinks the place up, Burrow is as good against pressure as it gets. Like you said, there are no easy games in this round. 

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - BigStripedCat - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 01:18 AM)Tony Wrote: They have a set of bottom 5 dbs in the NFL.. Indont get how they don't see this as a dis advantage. Higgins,  Boyd and  Chase are gonna destroy them...

Agreed. I do think their defense overall seems fairly stout, and they have a good defensive passer rating allowed, but I would sort of say the opposite of what this guy is saying on some key areas of the game.
 I was surprised by their pretty bad YPC, when all you hear about is their incredible running game and King Henry, etc.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Tony - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 01:28 AM)BigStripedCat Wrote: Agreed. I do think their defense overall seems fairly stout, and they have a good defensive passer rating allowed, but I would sort of say the opposite of what this guy is saying on some key areas of the game.
 I was surprised by their pretty bad YPC, when all you hear about is their incredible running game and King Henry, etc.

They act like we are gonna play them the same way we played against the raiders on defense.. That is not gonna happen. They are gonna make Tannehil try to beat them. 

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-21-2022

I'm watching last year's game right now..... didn't look like they matched up favorably with a worse version of the Bengals to me.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - michaelsean - 01-21-2022

That’s not based on anything but hope. Sure it’s possible they win big, but there’s no basis to think it’s going to happen.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Daddy-O - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 01:24 AM)pdub2005 Wrote: If Burrow gets any time, then the Titans are in trouble. When we can actually pass block, there are no defensive backfields in the NFL that can stop our QB and receivers. You shutdown one or two of them, and then you have the other to worry about, and even Uzomah can make you pay. If the line plays even decently, then I see this being a tough game for the Titans. Even if the line stinks the place up, Burrow is as good against pressure as it gets. Like you said, there are no easy games in this round. 

This.  The Titans front 4 will likely be the best the Bengals have faced all year.  Teams that can rush only 4 have given the Bengals fits because they can just drop 7 back and play zone.  The Raiders did this and it limited big plays.  The Bengals won because they won the turnover battle 2-0.

Another game where the defense has to step up and get off the field on 3rd down.  It's pretty simple, if they can we'll likely win as we'll get more possessions.  If they can't we'll probably to lose.  

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Daddy-O - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 03:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm watching last year's game right now..... didn't look like they matched up favorably with a worse version of the Bengals to me.

The Titans had a completely different defense last year.  They upgraded significantly.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Go Cards - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 10:05 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: The Titans had a completely different defense last year.  They upgraded significantly.

Yep I like Bengals chances, but not putting much stock in last years game per both teams have changed so much.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Interceptor - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 10:09 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Yep I like Bengals chances, but not putting much stock in last years game per both teams have changed so much.

Yet, they think their team is the only team that changed for the better and the other 31 just stood still.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Bengalpool - 01-21-2022

Here's the thing. A majority of Titans fans and media seem to forget that we beat them with a healthy Henry last year. HEALTHY. And all they've talked about this week is how they've changed as a team. They did get better. WE. WE got better too! So one could argue that we shoud expect to see a similar result as last year. And maybe its closer, thats fine. The blue tinted glasses and false first seed got em twisted. I expect a good game, but I got money on Burrow. Tannehill isn't the answer for them to get past the Bengals. If we stay mistake free like we have been the last 4 games, we're going to the AFC Championship game. And I hate to break it to any TN fans reading this, but we've already faced better pass rushes against our oline. I hope you for your sakes you can stop the pass.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - samhain - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 01:28 AM)BigStripedCat Wrote: Agreed. I do think their defense overall seems fairly stout, and they have a good defensive passer rating allowed, but I would sort of say the opposite of what this guy is saying on some key areas of the game.

I feel like they have a very good d-line.  Simmons is a monster.  

Their safeties are underrated, but not unbeatable, especially vs a receiver group like ours.  Their strength on d is rushing the passer.  That's generally a great thing.

One thing teams, or more specifically fans of opposing teams haven't grasped or accepted, is that Burrow seems to defy conventional logic when it comes to pressure.  As he's developed, he's almost even better when pressured.  A lot of his highlight reel TDs come when he's dead to rights.  You have to actually get to him to neutralize him.  Pressure isn't going to change his decision making in a negative way to the extent that it does others. The stubborn bastard almost seems to welcome it.

The only team I've seen stop the passing game since they got really hot is Denver.  Denver gets pressure, but Denver is also absolutely loaded and deep in the secondary.  They have enough guys to capably take away options, no matter how good the wrs are or how fast Burrow can process what's going on.  I don't think the Titans come close to having that level of talent in the defensive backfield.  

I'm not favoring the Bengals in this game going away.  Vrabel is no joke as a coach and their run game is intimidating no matter who's carrying the ball.  They've beaten some very good teams with very good offenses.  All I'm saying is that I don't see stopping Burrow as a viable game plan.  He knows what's coming and he's going to be ready for it.  The Bengals just need to hope that Tennessee doesn't get ahead early to a point where they can control the ground game and run it out with Burrow and the receivers watching from the sidelines.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - JaggedJimmyJay - 01-21-2022

Last year’s game is absolutely 100% irrelevant.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Aquapod770 - 01-21-2022

It's really wild to think we are one more win away from the AFC championship game.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - QueenCity - 01-21-2022

The #1 seed next to their name is fools gold.. couple bounces go our way the Bengals would be the #1 seed as well. The AFC is WIDE open

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Luvnit2 - 01-21-2022

You have to respect a team who fought through key injuries and has the #1 seed. They are tough and physical. Tannehill is a very good athlete and seems to make timely runs to keep the chains moving or get in the endzone with his legs.

I think Vrabel will try to control T.O.P. and keep Joey and the offense off the field. IN then end, playoff games seem to come down to turnovers and key penalties. We are the underdog on the road so we have to win the turnover battle to even things up.

The Titans do seem to allow teams to hang around. The Bengals are a second half team. I am hopeful we have the ball in a tied game with 2 minutes to go. I trust Joe would get it done and our rookie kicker could deliver the game winner as time runs out.

RE: Threads from the Enemy, divisional playoffs: Titans - Truck_1_0_1_ - 01-21-2022

(01-21-2022, 11:05 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Last year’s game is absolutely 100% irrelevant.

Not true at all.

It has less of a bearing on things than people think, but 75% of each team's personnel (at least) is identical, so there is *some* precedent to go on.