Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? (/Thread-Are-we-rolling-with-Sample-as-the-starting-TE)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Nicomo Cosca - 03-15-2022

(03-15-2022, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Gerald Everett seems like the perfect fit, in my opinion.  He's a tough blocker, yet smooth and athletic with nice hands.

Yes please.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Shake n Blake - 03-15-2022

People won't want to hear this, but Sample's 2020 season (40-349-1 on 53 fargets) was better than all but 2 of Uzomah's 7 seasons.

That's not me saying we should roll with Sample. That's just me saying that (1) Uzomah is probably overrated and (2) I could see the Bengals thinking Sample is the starter now.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - rfaulk34 - 03-15-2022

(03-15-2022, 12:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People won't want to hear this, but Sample's 2020 season (40-349-1 on 53 fargets) was better than all but 2 of Uzomah's 7 seasons.

That's not me saying we should roll with Sample. That's just me saying that (1) Uzomah is probably overrated and (2) I could see the Bengals thinking Sample is the starter now.

[Image: wedding-crashers-shut-up.gif]

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Bengalpool - 03-15-2022

(03-15-2022, 12:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: People won't want to hear this, but Sample's 2020 season (40-349-1 on 53 fargets) was better than all but 2 of Uzomah's 7 seasons.

CJ was overrated. No doubt. We're all going to miss his personality, and will realize very quickly that Burrow made CJ a lotta money in NY. 

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - casear2727 - 03-15-2022

(03-15-2022, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Continuity is important.

Sample is under contract for another year then we can tag him in 2023.

Why would we ever tag Sample?

Everett or Conklin are great options at TE.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - CardCounterChris - 03-15-2022

CJ on the field was overrated. Most of us agree. CJ off the field made us invested. However, Sample has shown nothing when it comes to being an NFL TE. I hope we do just about anything else than start him.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - rfaulk34 - 03-15-2022

(03-15-2022, 01:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would we ever tag Sample?

#fredjoke

(03-15-2022, 01:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Why would we ever tag Sample?

Everett or Conklin are great options at TE.

[Image: EnTZ5PoXIAMjBNY.jpg]

(03-15-2022, 01:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: #fredjoke

Yeah...

I figured it out... Fred sometimes...

(03-15-2022, 01:04 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: CJ on the field was overrated. Most of us agree. CJ off the field made us invested. However, Sample has shown nothing when it comes to being an NFL TE. I hope we do just about anything else than start him.

We wont.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Nicomo Cosca - 03-15-2022

Sample has 1 TD in 3 years. Not only is he not a starter, he’s basically replacement level. And his blocking is overrated, imo.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Shake n Blake - 03-15-2022

(03-15-2022, 01:02 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: CJ was overrated. No doubt. We're all going to miss his personality, and will realize very quickly that Burrow made CJ a lotta money in NY. 

Also having 3 awesome WRs tends to open things up as a TE.

Even then, his numbers were still mediocre. I think teams are just paying to have some of our shine, as goofy as that sounds. Think of how excited we used to be when we sucked and signed a player from a SB squad.

(03-15-2022, 01:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Also having 3 awesome WRs tends to open things up as a TE.

Even then, his numbers were still mediocre. I think teams are just paying to have some of our shine, as goofy as that sounds. Think of how excited we used to be when we sucked and signed a player from a SB squad.

No doubt, no doubt. Just like how the running game opens up the passing game. Man, with an OL, and someone to replace CJ who is at least as good (sorry, but there are a couple guys who we could plug in that would be better still available in FA, idc what Fred says), Burrow could have his first MVP.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - fredtoast - 03-16-2022

(03-15-2022, 12:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't have to be a doctor to understand the severity and limiting effect that back issues can have on an athletes abilities.  However, if you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend the issue isn't real, that's fine by me;  But there's no reason to go puffing the guy up on some college accolades that are quite common to NFL players in general, and equally common in early round players who bust for one reason or another.

I don't pretend that his back was never an issue.  In fact his back could be a big reason we have signed two guys who can play guard and have not released Hopkins.

But what got this all started was Frank saying Carman's chances of being a good a starter were no better than Thaddeus Moss.  And that is just silly.  Carman was a top player on college and was taken high in the draft.  The Bengals might have taken him a little too high but almost all the rankings had him going in the first 3 rounds.  2nd Team All American.  Top 100 prospect.  The guy has a lot of potential.  Moss, on the other hand never even sniffed All-Conference.  He is short for a TE (6'2") and had what one scout called a "bad body".  He is so slow I can't even find a forty time on him.

(03-15-2022, 01:04 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: CJ on the field was overrated. Most of us agree.

No we don't.

he is bigger, faster, and has better efficiency numbers than most people here realize.  They just look at raw totals and never consider that Uzo had a lot less targets than most starting TEs.

The NFL is a free market where professional career scouts and font office personnel set the value of players.  Uzomah is not an elite TE, but he is an $8 million a year TE.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Soonerpeace - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 10:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No we don't.

he is bigger, faster, and has better efficiency numbers than most people here realize.  They just look at raw totals and never consider that Uzo had a lot less targets than most starting TEs.

I’d agree. But his price tag didn’t work. They can find a good rookie like Mark Andrews who went in the third round. Tremendous savings

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Frank Booth - 03-16-2022

I’m actually very interested to see how much more money can be put into other areas of the team if cincy decides to roll with no viable tight ends

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Nicomo Cosca - 03-16-2022

(03-16-2022, 10:53 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’d agree. But his price tag didn’t work. They can find a good rookie like Mark Andrews who went in the third round. Tremendous savings

Yeah, it’s always easy to find a player who’s top 5 at his position…

(03-16-2022, 10:53 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’d agree. But his price tag didn’t work. They can find a good rookie like Mark Andrews who went in the third round. Tremendous savings

He was worth what he got paid by the Jets.  He was not worth as much to us because he have 3 top WRs.

Saying we can find a good TE in the third round because of Mark Andrews is like saying we can find a good QB in the 6th round because of Tom Brady.  IN the last 20 years there have been 213 TEs drafted in the third round or later.  Only 6 of them had as many as 500 receiving yards their rookie season.

RE: Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE? - Sled21 - 03-16-2022

The lastest article on the home page says they are looking for a fast pass catching TE to replace Uzomah, and keeping Sample as a blocking TE.