Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are we rolling with Sample as the starting TE?
Now that we've lost CJ, what do you think is Zac's plan? Is Sample the starting TE or do we potentially sign a FA? The draft has options, but I don't think anyone stands out as "must have" talent.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:35 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Now that we've lost CJ, what do you think is Zac's plan? Is Sample the starting TE or do we potentially sign a FA? The draft has options, but I don't think anyone stands out as "must have" talent.

Thoughts?

At the moment but there are other TEs out there and the draft is still coming

I doubt Gronk will be on the Table now that Brady is back in Tampa
Reply/Quote
Until Gronk signs at TB or retires, I'm assuming he's already had his agent working to get him here. Might be why CJ was let go.
Reply/Quote
I saw something stating the Bengals were showing interest in Gerald Everett.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:35 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Now that we've lost CJ, what do you think is Zac's plan? Is Sample the starting TE or do we potentially sign a FA? The draft has options, but I don't think anyone stands out as "must have" talent.

Thoughts?

I can't imagine Sample would be the planned starter at this point.
He's averaged a measly 8.2 YPC and just one TD across 42 games.
In the year he started most of the year, he averaged 8.7 YPC.
Compare that to Uzomah last year, who averaged 10.1 YPC and had 5 TDs.
You could then further look to a TE who is still available in OJ Howard and see he averaged over 13 YPC his first four years before last year's 9.6.
Gerald Everett, who Taylor is familiar with, averaged 10.0 YPC with 4 TDs last season with SEA.

So there are way better receiving options out there than Sample, even ones who can also block.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Absolutely no way Sample can be TE #1. Gerarld Everett would make a lot of sense if we can get him for a reasonable deal. He was in LA with Taylor. Problem is - TE’s have been getting overpaid left and right all of a sudden.

Reply/Quote
Think Perine on 3rd down over Mixon......................................................

Sample in to block in situational, someone like Howard/Everett to come in on passing downs. Howard/Everett could be better overall, but we'll put Sample in to block in certain plays when the game is on the line.

To answer in short, I would be shocked if Sample was our #1.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Then again, the thinking might be all we need the TE to do is block, because with an improved line Chase, Higgins or Boyd is going to get open.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I saw something stating the Bengals were showing interest in Gerald Everett.

Tough break for him leaving the Rams for 1 year and that's the year that the Seahawks implode and the Rams win the SB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Until Gronk signs at TB or retires, I'm assuming he's already had his agent working to get him here. Might be why CJ was let go.

This is a situation where there is ‘technically’ a chance, but not really. Gronk isn’t coming here with Brady back. I think we will see someone like OJ Howard or Everett.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:50 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: This is a situation where there is ‘technically’ a chance, but not really. Gronk isn’t coming here with Brady back. I think we will see someone like OJ Howard or Everett.

Yeah, I just looked and he's not only teasing this fanbase, but also Buffalo and Tennessee. Titans fans actually think they'll get him then trade for TB12.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:46 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I saw something stating the Bengals were showing interest in Gerald Everett.

Former Ram makes sense. Just not a huge receiving threat.
Reply/Quote
Depending on cost, I'd be interested in OJ Howard. He has good speed. I just don't know...he's been a bust to this point.
Reply/Quote
He's dropped more TD passes than he's caught. So no.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
God I hope not.
Reply/Quote
Don’t be surprised if we do roll with Zac’s boy Drew Sample; unless we draft a tight end. The Bengals have never signed a good tight end in free agency and we don’t feature the tight end in our offense.
Reply/Quote
What's Jermaine Gresham doing?
Reply/Quote
A good, developmental TE can be had later in the draft (Jelani Woods or a good blocking TE) and I would think they could sign someone to a 1 year deal as a stop-gap and go all-in next year, as next year will be the TE draft for receiving TEs (Mayer, Gilbert, Allen, even Josh Whyle looks great catching the ball).

As we know that the TE is not a huge part of the offense, I don't see it as top a priority at this point.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:57 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Former Ram makes sense. Just not a huge receiving threat.

That's the thing, the Bengals don't feature the TE as a primary receiving threat.  They want a good blocker and 3rd/4th look option in that position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Move Sample to FB
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote