Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
70 million dollars wasted - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: 70 million dollars wasted (/Thread-70-million-dollars-wasted)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - THE PISTONS - 09-18-2022

(09-18-2022, 11:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah, that thread is still as laughable as was the second you made it.

“Will we regret drafting Chase?”

The answer is still unequivocally, 100% NO! One OT would not fix what’s going on right now.

But we damn sure would still be talking about a 31 year playoff winless drought without him.

Too bad we couldn't draft Chase and Sewell.

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - Nicomo Cosca - 09-18-2022

(09-18-2022, 11:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We will see what happens, but if we are putting Burrow's performance and even career in jeopardy with this David Carr crap I can see him thinking about testing the waters.

The David Tepper factor may be huge.  That guy will do anything to get a franchise QB and someone is going to get the biggest, most guaranteed, insane QB contract ever from him in the near future.  Could be Burrow, or maybe we keep him here.  I'm just saying that there are some insane buyers out there and paying a king's ransom for a vet QB who is a sure thing is the current fashion. 

The Bengals will pay him. Steps are already being taken to ensure that. If the money is there (it will be) and he can stay at home near his family, and keep playing with Chase, I’d be absolutely shocked to see him go elsewhere. You just don’t see franchise QB’s hit the open market in their prime like that. *Who’s the last one - Cousins? And many would argue he’s just a good QB, but not a franchise one.

*Not counting the sex offender up north.

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - jj22 - 09-18-2022

(09-18-2022, 11:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah, that thread is still as laughable as was the second you made it.

“Will we regret drafting Chase?”

The answer is still unequivocally, 100% NO! One OT would not fix what’s going on right now.

But we damn sure would still be talking about a 31 year playoff winless drought without him.

There are plenty who disagree the case is as closed as you claim it to be... 

Defense and McPherson won the playoff games.

(09-18-2022, 11:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Only way he doesn't get extended is if he gets hurt...or he won't sign it.

Man...what's this team going to be like when Burrow makes $50 million? If they can't win now...

A lot could change between now and then. Coordinators, position coaches, important positions like CB (man was Apple bad today), etc. It’s hard to even speculate what it will look like.

(09-18-2022, 11:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Too bad we couldn't draft Chase and Sewell.

Could have had Chase & Humphrey/Cosmi.

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - BSJR - 09-18-2022

While there are many issues right now I think the elephant in the room is the play of the offensive line. Pollack should be on the hot seat. He was give three capable NFL players and the result is the same as last year. I get it Volson is a rookie you are going to get what you get. Remember he’s the guy that wanted Billy Price. Hoping things get fixed in a hurry.

(09-18-2022, 11:35 PM)BSJR Wrote: While there are many issues right now I think the elephant in the room is the play of the offensive line.  Pollack should be on the hot seat. He was give three capable NFL players and the result is the same as last year. I get it Volson is a rookie you are going to get what you get. Remember he’s the guy that wanted Billy Price. Hoping things get fixed in a hurry.

I don't know. A lot of the NFL people I follow on Twitter don't think the line is the issue.

They think it's that we can't adjust to teams playing cover 2 and taking our big plays away. Then, Burrow holds the ball trying to hit a hr. And we can't run the ball, which would pull safeties up.

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - Nately120 - 09-18-2022

(09-18-2022, 11:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bengals will pay him. Steps are already being taken to ensure that. If the money is there (it will be) and he can stay at home near his family, and keep playing with Chase, I’d be absolutely shocked to see him go elsewhere. You just don’t see franchise QB’s hit the open market in their prime like that. *Who’s the last one - Cousins? And many would argue he’s just a good QB, but not a franchise one.

*Not counting the sex offender up north.

I'm pretty sure this will happen, but we're also assuming that either the issues we've seen for Burrow's entire time here will get fixed OR Burrow will willingly spend his career getting ground into the turf because he doesn't want to move away from home and/or he's blindly loyal to playing for the Bengals.

I'd have more faith Burrow stays here, but keep in mind some of the insane stuff that "never woulda happened" that we've seen lately:

Brady leave NE
Stafford leave Detroit and win a SB his first year elsewhere
Luck retiring out of nowhere, rather than winning multiple SBs
numerous high pick QBs get chucked like nothing (Trubisky, Mayfield, Winston, Mariota, Wentz, Goff, Rosen)

It just seems like QB mobility in regards to going from one team to another has gone from 0 to 90 in these recent years.

(09-18-2022, 11:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Too bad we couldn't draft Chase and Sewell.

We could have if we had traded down and taken Tua or Herbert in 2020.  I'm not saying we should have, but if Burrow doesn't get it together the fact that we could have had any other QB in his class as well as three or more 1st round picks is likely to resurface.  That's just the hard truth of dealing with untestable reality. 

(09-18-2022, 11:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: There are plenty who disagree the case is as closed as you claim it to be... 

Defense and McPherson won the playoff games.

Plenty? Idk about that. Even guys like Tannenbaum who made absolute clown’s out of themselves during that whole debate admitted they were dead wrong.

And it’s ridiculous to not give Chase (and Tee) any credit for those playoff wins. Especially the first one against the Raiders. Chase had 116 yards and was the offense in that game.

Anyway, we don’t even sniff the playoffs in the first place without all his explosive plays during the regular season. He literally had the best rookie season since Randy Moss.

(09-18-2022, 11:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm pretty sure this will happen, but we're also assuming that either the issues we've seen for Burrow's entire time here will get fixed OR Burrow will willingly spend his career getting ground into the turf because he doesn't want to move away from home and/or he's blindly loyal to playing for the Bengals.

I'd have more faith Burrow stays here, but keep in mind some of the insane stuff that "never woulda happened" that we've seen lately:

Brady leave NE
Stafford leave Detroit and win a SB his first year elsewhere
Luck retiring out of nowhere, rather than winning multiple SBs
numerous high pick QBs get chucked like nothing (Trubisky, Mayfield, Winston, Mariota, Wentz, Goff, Rosen)

It just seems like QB mobility in regards to going from one team to another has gone from 0 to 90 in these recent years.

You didn’t name a single franchise QB in their prime that hit FA. It just doesn’t happen.

(09-18-2022, 11:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We could have if we had traded down and taken Tua or Herbert in 2020.  I'm not saying we should have, but if Burrow doesn't get it together the fact that we could have had any other QB in his class as well as three or more 1st round picks is likely to resurface.  That's just the hard truth of dealing with untestable reality. 

If this franchise ruins Burrow...

(09-18-2022, 11:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We could have if we had traded down and taken Tua or Herbert in 2020.  I'm not saying we should have, but if Burrow doesn't get it together the fact that we could have had any other QB in his class as well as three or more 1st round picks is likely to resurface.  That's just the hard truth of dealing with untestable reality. 

Tua still has quite a ways to go to catch up with Burrow and Herbert. Miami was literally trying to replace him with Watson this past offseason, so even his own team is not quite sold on him. He’s off to a great start this season, but it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - LostInDaJungle - 09-18-2022

(09-18-2022, 11:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know. A lot of the NFL people I follow on Twitter don't think the line is the issue.

They think it's that we can't adjust to teams playing cover 2 and taking our big plays away. Then, Burrow holds the ball trying to hit a hr. And we can't run the ball, which would pull safeties up.

Well, if you can't run the ball against Cover 2, then it's the line's fault. They're 5 on 4 with the MLB dropping deep at the snap. So it's a bit of the old chicken and the egg. You have to be able to run the ball well enough to make the Defense play aggressively so that you can pass, or pass well enough to GET cover 2 so that you can run. It starts with the run game, and that's the O-Line.

(09-18-2022, 11:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You didn’t name a single franchise QB in their prime that hit FA. It just doesn’t happen.

In all fairness, Burrow's prime is back in 2021 until further notice.  

(09-18-2022, 11:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If this franchise ruins Burrow...

Can we at least see him with a real offseason for once in his career before we jump to this? JFC

Some of you sound like the media talking heads with this crap. He missed most of TC, and is clearly not back to 100% yet (weight, strength, etc).

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - Nicomo Cosca - 09-19-2022

(09-18-2022, 11:55 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In all fairness, Burrow's prime is back in 2021 until further notice.  

No it’s not. He’s just entertaining his prime age-wise right now. That might have been his peak, but physical prime/experience is mid to late 20’s.

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - Nately120 - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 12:00 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it’s not. He’s just entertaining his prime age-wise right now. That might have been his peak, but physical prime/experience is mid to late 20’s.

Ok, well I guess we're back to complaining about ZT and Mike Brown then...which is why I'm saying there is a chance we do the impossible and don't have Burrow as our QB until 2045.

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - TheLeonardLeap - 09-19-2022

(09-18-2022, 11:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You didn’t name a single franchise QB in their prime that hit FA. It just doesn’t happen.

Drew Brees
Kirk Cousins

Off the top of my head. Probably a couple more but I doubt there is a ton more.

I think franchise QBs largely stay out of FA because if they aren't going to stay with their current team, the teams trade them. Franchise QBs are too valuable to let them leave for zero compensation.

I also think "prime" is very subjective for QBs. They aren't like other positions where their legs die on them and it's over. Plenty of them actually get even better in their 30s.

RE: 70 million dollars wasted - Nicomo Cosca - 09-19-2022

(09-19-2022, 12:28 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Drew Brees
Kirk Cousins

Off the top of my head. Probably a couple more but I doubt there is a ton more.

I think franchise QBs largely stay out of FA because if they aren't going to stay with their current team, the teams trade them. Franchise QBs are too valuable to let them leave for zero compensation.

I also think "prime" is very subjective for QBs. They aren't like other positions where their legs die on them and it's over. Plenty of them actually get even better in their 30s.

Right, so Cousins and Brees. The latter being 16 years ago.

Like I said, it just doesn’t happen much. If you have a true franchise QB, you pay him. And considering what the Bengals paid Palmer, I just don’t see paying Burrow being an issue.

And we’ve already been through the “he doesn’t want to go there” crap once, which turned out to be nonsense. So I’m not going to worry about him leaving. It’s highly unlikely, imo.