Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
70 million dollars wasted
on a rag tag group of linemen that their old teams didn't want. No preseason action either. Zac Taylor, the genius he is thought you could just trot them all out there and have them compete at a high level because of 60 scripted plays against the Rams in practice.

Pittsburgh dominated them today and I quiver at the thought of Myles Garret and Justin Houston going against them.
Reply/Quote
calm down.
Reply/Quote
They were 100% worst than the guys last year. Unbelievable
Reply/Quote
We got manhandled pretty good on the line. Hopefully they can gel. 7 sacks. Damn it man.
Joe was jittery and hesitant. Never seemed comfortable.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
I think it's fair to say we were all hoping for fair bigger an improvement from the O-Line after all that investment. You aren't going to get a #1 unit instantly from a Line virtually picked up in the same Free Agency, but I think we expected a bit more than today.

One game... hoping they'll be a good unit the deeper the season goes.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:26 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I think it's fair to say we were all hoping for fair bigger an improvement from the O-Line after all that investment. You aren't going to get a #1 unit instantly from a Line virtually picked up in the same Free Agency, but I think we expected a bit more than today.

One game... hoping they'll be a good unit the deeper the season goes.

There have been teams that fixed their line in one offseason. Here, they've tried for years.
Reply/Quote
Another infuriating fail. We do badly wanted to overhaul the OL, which we did, and it made no difference.

I think they’ll improve but it was awful today. And worse when Burrow holds the ball too long.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There have been teams that fixed their line in one offseason. Here, they've tried for years.

Improved their line sure. But our line was historically appalling last year... there was no way FA was going to give us an elite unit within one game.

This question won't be answered by one game. But if the OL is this bad all year, then something is very wrong with the team.
Reply/Quote
I thought the right side looked good. Maybe pay about $5 MIL more and get us a starting LG
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:32 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Improved their line sure. But our line was historically appalling last year... there was no way FA was going to give us an elite unit within one game.

This question won't be answered by one game. But if the OL is this bad all year, then something is very wrong with the team.

The 3 guys they signed are all solid Pros. This line shouldn't have been this bad.

The issue is coaching...not personnel.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought the right side looked good. Maybe pay about $5 MIL more and get us a starting LG

A chair would be better at that position
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:18 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: on a rag tag group of linemen that their old teams didn't want. No preseason action either. Zac Taylor, the genius he is thought you could just trot them all out there and have them compete at a high level because of 60 scripted plays against the Rams in practice.

Pittsburgh dominated them today and I quiver at the thought of Myles Garret and Justin Houston going against them.

I will be curious to watch the Joe goodberry Bengals on the brain episode breakdown this week. I'm not sure how long of a leash we are giving Volson. Options may be limited but we need to do something. Heyward was giving him fits and then we tasked him with pulling trying to block Watt which just makes you scratch your head. Like let's ask our 4th Rd rookie who doesn't move well in space to do just that and block the reigning NFL sack leader. That sounds like a recipe for success. 
Reply/Quote
I also want to say it's a bit too early to call them a waste. But I think we are all just tired of seeing and opener where our QB just gets absolutely pummeled and sacked 7 times.

Also off topic but 0 snaps on offense just doesn't seem good to me. Also 3 snaps for Dax which seems understandable in such a tight match up but we need to find a way to get some turnovers of our own.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought the right side looked good. Maybe pay about $5 MIL more and get us a starting LG

I think we are tight with the cap now. But we need to figure something out. Continuing to put Volson out there and hoping he improves sounds suspect to me. Maybe Scharping is the answer but we need something.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The 3 guys they signed are all solid Pros. This line shouldn't have been this bad.

The issue is coaching...not personnel.

Yeah I'll agree they should be that bad, I'm just saying this idea that we'd gone and 'bought ourselves this vaunted Offensive Line', was never going to come to light within one game. We expected to see some improvement from last year for sure, but I've got faith we'll be seeing a decent unit as the season goes on. If we don't, sack every OL coach we've got.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:40 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I also want to say it's a bit too early to call them a waste. But I think we are all just tired of seeing and opener where our QB just gets absolutely pummeled and sacked 7 times.

Also off topic but 0 snaps on offense just doesn't seem good to me. Also 3 snaps for Dax which seems understandable in such a tight match up but we need to find a way to get some turnovers of our own.

Did Bates get any snaps because I don’t remember hearing his name.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The OL needed to play more in the preseason ideal or not.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Why is Zac so against QB sneaks? I thought it was an indictment against Hopkins. With Karras it was same BS playcalling different day.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t give up on this line yet. We picked up proven veterans. They didn’t just suddenly forget how to play. As many on here have mentioned, it takes time for an o line to gel and they got none of that in the preseason. The only change I could see is Scharping starting at LG with Volsons struggles.

My biggest gripe with this offense is I can’t understand why we keep going five wide just to see Burrow get tee’d off on. What’s the point of running Perine and Sample on routes. Until the line gels, why not go max protect to help settle Burrow down.
Reply/Quote
R-E-L-A-X

Week one, they didn’t play together in preseason. There were some obvious growing pains and communication fails. That’ll get better. Burrow didn’t help any either. 17 game season. We nearly won a game with what? 5 turnovers and 5 sacks or something like that? And horrible luck with a LS injury costing us a win multiple times.

The team will be just fine. The line will improve greatly. Give it time, all will be fine.
Reply/Quote