Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Someone broke into my house last night - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Klotsch (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Klotsch)
+--- Thread: Someone broke into my house last night (/Thread-Someone-broke-into-my-house-last-night)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - WeezyBengal - 06-17-2015

(06-17-2015, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Interesting that he was charged with burglary.  Unless he intended to commit a crime when he entered your home he should have only been charged with a criminal tresspass.

Did he steal anything or threaten you in any way?  I know he scared you just by being there, but did he actually threaten to hurt you or damage anything.

Nope. Not at all. 

UPDATE: 

I just got subpoena by the grand just yesterday. I have to go in this Friday morning. Im not really sure what to expect. I think im just going to go in and they will probably question me to figure out if they want to continue with the charges, correct? 

Either way, im pretty nervous. I hate getting up in front of people and talking. Anyone ever have to do this before? 

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - JustWinBaby - 06-17-2015

"I am you"
"I found who I was looking for"

Sounds to me like you just got a visit from your future self. My advice is to start saving your money for 'roids and a membership to Gold's Gym.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - Bengalzona - 06-17-2015

(06-17-2015, 05:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Nope. Not at all. 

UPDATE: 

I just got subpoena by the grand just yesterday. I have to go in this Friday morning. Im not really sure what to expect. I think im just going to go in and they will probably question me to figure out if they want to continue with the charges, correct? 

Either way, im pretty nervous. I hate getting up in front of people and talking. Anyone ever have to do this before? 

Yeah. They just want to hear what happened from the witnesses and exam any evidence to determine if there is sufficient reason to pursue criminal charges. It is a necessary protocol. You are subpoenaed, so you sort of have to go.

I get subpoenaed to serve as a witness  several times a year with my job. But that is usually as an expert witness and not in a criminal case. It should be basically the same. You wait until you are called, answer the questions and leave. It won't be so bad and you'll be better off for it after you have done it. Just tell the truth. You'll be fine. This is your first time doing this, but most of the people in the court will have been through this loads of times and will have seen victims like you almost everyday.

As far as the guy, he isn't your responsibility any more. The state will decide what needs to be done with him. It is generally best that way.  In his case, I suspect he may get the mental health care that he seems to need.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - fredtoast - 06-17-2015

UPDATE: 

Someone from the DA's office will talk to you before you take the stand.  It may not be the DA, but at least a witness coordinator.  He/she will answer any of your questions before you are asked to testify.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - packerbacker - 06-17-2015

Hey Weezy was he a Steeler fan lol?

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - WeezyBengal - 06-18-2015

(06-17-2015, 11:47 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Hey Weezy was he a Steeler fan lol?

I dont believe so. If it were a Steelers fan, he probably would have jumped in bed with me and tried to rape me. 

That how do it in Pittsburgh, right? 

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - Shake n Blake - 06-18-2015

UPDATE: 

Yes. Your situation may play out a little differently, but here's what happened after my house was robbed a couple years ago.

First I was contacted by an investigator. He spoke with me on a few occasions and then spoke with people around my neighborhood. After that I got my subpoena (surprised you got yours so soon). After that, I had to write down a list of items that were missing and I wound up testifying against one of the two guys responsible (the other one took a plea and turned on his partner).

I'm not trying to make you more nervous, but it can be scary continuing to live in the same neighborhood as someone who just broke into/robbed your home. You just kind of feel violated, like your home is no longer safe. For that reason, I decided to pack my family up and move to Michigan. Of course, your situation is a little different. This kid might not be a bad person. He just has issues that hopefully he gets some help with.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I know the feeling though. My wife and I couldn't sleep for a couple days after the robbery. Fortunately we weren't home at the time. Looking a stranger in the eyes in your own home had to be unsettling.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - fredtoast - 06-18-2015

(06-17-2015, 05:37 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just got subpoena by the grand just yesterday.

BTW testifying before a Grand Jury is a breeze because you will not be subject to cross-examination from the defense attorney.  Also the defendant will not even be there to hear you testify.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - Shake n Blake - 06-18-2015

UPDATE: 

Yes. Your situation may play out a little differently, but here's what happened after my house was robbed a couple years ago.

First I was contacted by an investigator. He spoke with me on a few occasions and then spoke with people around my neighborhood. After that I got my subpoena (surprised you got yours so soon).

After that, I had to write down a list of items that were missing and I wound up testifying against one of the two guys responsible (the other one took a plea and turned on his partner).

I'm not trying to make you more nervous, but it can be scary continuing to live in the same neighborhood as someone who just broke into/robbed your home. You just kind of feel violated, like your home is no longer safe.

For that reason, I decided to pack my family up and move to Michigan. Of course, your situation is a little different. This kid might not be a bad person. He just has issues that hopefully he gets some help with.

I'm really sorry to hear this. I know the feeling though. My wife and I couldn't sleep for a couple days after the robbery. Fortunately we weren't home at the time. Looking a stranger in the eyes in your own home had to be unsettling.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - Awful Llama - 06-19-2015

Wasn't this morning your appearance before the grand jury? How did it go?

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - GodFather - 06-19-2015

(06-18-2015, 11:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes. Your situation may play out a little differently, but here's what happened after my house was robbed a couple years ago.

First I was contacted by an investigator. He spoke with me on a few occasions and then spoke with people around my neighborhood. After that I got my subpoena (surprised you got yours so soon).

After that, I had to write down a list of items that were missing and I wound up testifying against one of the two guys responsible (the other one took a plea and turned on his partner).

I'm not trying to make you more nervous, but it can be scary continuing to live in the same neighborhood as someone who just broke into/robbed your home. You just kind of feel violated, like your home is no longer safe.

For that reason, I decided to pack my family up and move to Michigan. Of course, your situation is a little different. This kid might not be a bad person. He just has issues that hopefully he gets some help with.

Did you buy a gun after that Shake? I know a few people who had their homes broken into and they all bought guns after that. Did they break in at night or day when you were gone?

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - Shake n Blake - 06-20-2015

(06-19-2015, 10:02 PM)GodFather Wrote: Did you buy a gun after that Shake? I know a few people who had their homes broken into and they all bought guns after that. Did they break in at night or day when you were gone?

Na, I will never own a gun because I feel more harm than good can come from owning one. Although I'm 100% for gun rights, I feel that there are very few situations that would require you to use one to defend yourself. The vast majority of burglars won't be armed and they usually try to avoid confrontation. My house was robbed while I was out of state for Thanksgiving. What I heard was that the one dude scoped my house out in the morning, noticed we were gone and recruited a buddy to clean it out during the day time.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - fredtoast - 06-21-2015

(06-20-2015, 04:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  The vast majority of burglars won't be armed and they usually try to avoid confrontation.

99% of burgalies occur when no one is at home.

When you hear about a home invasion you can bet it was an attempt to steal drugs or large amounts of cash from another criminal.

It is so rare that a burglar eneters an occupied home that it makes big news.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - Shake n Blake - 06-21-2015

(06-21-2015, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 99% of burgalies occur when no one is at home.

When you hear about a home invasion you can bet it was an attempt to steal drugs or large amounts of cash from another criminal.

It is so rare that a burglar eneters an occupied home that it makes big news.

Right. 

The odds of you getting robbed are fairly slim.
The odds of a robbery happening while you're at home are even slimmer.
The odds of the burglars being armed while you're at home is next to nil. 

The two guys who robbed my house were unarmed drug addicts who didn't even consider hitting my home until they knew I was away on vacation. I'd estimate that 99% of all robberies are similar circumstances. The last thing they want is a confrontation, they just want some items that they can easily pawn for drugs. 

OP's situation is quite unique. That's why it made the news.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - WeezyBengal - 06-22-2015

(06-19-2015, 09:55 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Wasn't this morning your appearance before the grand jury?  How did it go?

Been out of town all weekend. 

Showed up on Friday and waited for like two hours in the waiting room. They swore us in (the police officers were there that were involved in the incident) and then they made me leave the room. They didnt even need me. I guess the police officer told them what happened and they don't like to get witnesses involved. It just sucks because I wasted my entire morning for nothing. 

I think the dude that came in my homes court date was today. They ended up charging him with all of his offenses. Wonder if he pleaded guilty/non guilty etc. 

The entire court system sucks. I feel like im completely left in the dark with whats going on. I talked to the cop at the court house and apparently the guy isnt even in jail anymore. Would have been nice to know... 

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - fredtoast - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 07:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Been out of town all weekend. 

Showed up on Friday and waited for like two hours in the waiting room. They swore us in (the police officers were there that were involved in the incident) and then they made me leave the room. They didnt even need me. I guess the police officer told them what happened and they don't like to get witnesses involved. It just sucks because I wasted my entire morning for nothing. 

I think the dude that came in my homes court date was today. They ended up charging him with all of his offenses. Wonder if he pleaded guilty/non guilty etc. 

The entire court system sucks. I feel like im completely left in the dark with whats going on. I talked to the cop at the court house and apparently the guy isnt even in jail anymore. Would have been nice to know... 

You should call the DA's office and complain.

I can understand why they may not have needed your testimony, but they should have let you know what was going on.  Most DA's offices have a specific person whose only job is to do this kind of stuff.  Here we call them "witness coordinators".

If your court date was for the grand jury there is no way he has plead out already.  The defendant's next court date after being indicted by the grand jury is just an arraignment.  There is no need for the victim to be present for the arraignment.  All they do is address bond and legal representation.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - WeezyBengal - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 08:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You should call the DA's office and complain.

I can understand why they may not have needed your testimony, but they should have let you know what was going on.  Most DA's offices have a specific person whose only job is to do this kind of stuff.  Here we call them "witness coordinators".

If your court date was for the grand jury there is no way he has plead out already.  The defendant's next court date after being indicted by the grand jury is just an arraignment.  There is no need for the victim to be present for the arraignment.  All they do is address bond and legal representation.

Yeah there was witness coordinator and she was actually pretty good and explained a lot. Im talking more about my specific case in general. I just feel like I have no idea whats going on with the guy. I just want some answers. Was he on drugs? Is he mentally instable? etc 

Do you think I will have to eventually go back down to court for the actual trial, Toast? How much further down the road is that? A few weeks? 

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - fredtoast - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 08:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yeah there was witness coordinator and she was actually pretty good and explained a lot. Im talking more about my specific case in general. I just feel like I have no idea whats going on with the guy. I just want some answers. Was he on drugs? Is he mentally instable? etc 

Do you think I will have to eventually go back down to court for the actual trial, Toast? How much further down the road is that? A few weeks? 

Over 90% of cases never go to trial, but it will still be a few weeks at least before they have another court date.

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - rfaulk34 - 06-22-2015

(06-22-2015, 07:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Been out of town all weekend. 

Sounds familiar. Someone stole a laptop out of my work van and i had him on CCTV. Finally, after 3 continuations, on the 4th try, he was "sentenced". 

Bottom line is, 4 trips and 8 hours later, i did nothing but sit back in the peanut gallery and watch. Never got to say a word. I did get a $7 check each time though.  :snark:

RE: Someone broke into my house last night - WeezyBengal - 06-23-2015

(06-22-2015, 10:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Sounds familiar. Someone stole a laptop out of my work van and i had him on CCTV. Finally, after 3 continuations, on the 4th try, he was "sentenced". 

Bottom line is, 4 trips and 8 hours later, i did nothing but sit back in the peanut gallery and watch. Never got to say a word. I did get a $7 check each time though.  :snark:

Haha. I got that same 7 dollar check when I was down there on Friday. What a joke.