Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Welcome William Jackson III - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Welcome William Jackson III (/Thread-Welcome-William-Jackson-III)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Hoofhearted - 04-29-2016

Welcome WJIII!!

Not a horrible pick, but I question why they didn't grab one of the DTs? Not mad we didn't take LB, either. Or reach for WR. But Geno withstanding, our DL is below average. Even tho Dre is not what we thought he'd be, I still think the corners on this team is deeper than than interior of the line. Unless they didn't like the DT market in round 1?

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - lone bengal - 04-29-2016

I like the pick best player available plus all the 1st round wide receivers were gone, also no need to take a DT there are still good ones that will be available later. I think a lot of people overate our depth at CB, Kirkpatrick is on the last year of his deal and hasn’t played good, I like Dennard but he’s coming off a serious injury and has had minimal playing time. I could see Jackson moving up the depth cart above Shaw and even higher if Kirkpatrick struggles or Dennard comes back slow from injury. This pick also opens things up for us next year I think they’ll let Kirkpatrick walk which make it easier for the Bengals to resign Bernard and Zeitler.

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - yellowxdiscipline - 04-29-2016

Love the pick. BPA, fills a need, and we kicked Pittsburgh in the nuts all with one pick.

A+ Grade in my book.

Fills a void left by Hall this year. Could possibly replace Dre in the future if he leaves.

Welcome to the team Willo Island!

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Hoofhearted - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 08:36 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I like the pick best player available plus all the 1st round wide receivers were gone, also no need to take a DT there are still good ones that will be available later.  I think a lot of people overate our depth at CB, Kirkpatrick is on the last year of his deal and hasn’t played good, I like Dennard but he’s coming off a serious injury and has had minimal playing time. I could see Jackson moving up the depth cart above Shaw and even higher if Kirkpatrick struggles or Dennard comes back slow from injury. This pick also opens things up for us next year I think they’ll let Kirkpatrick walk which make it easier for the Bengals to resign Bernard and Zeitler.

The problem I have with this is by the time the younger guys (Shaw, Dennard, WJIII) rise to the top three spots, they will be close to ready to a re-up. We don't take full advantage of the rookie deals. Would be nice to have maybe two-three years of productive rookie deals to maximize that value.

And if the bengals FO didn't think so highly of Dre, why did they option him at 7.5 mil? They wouldn't just pay a corner 7.5 million dollars if they didn't think he played good (not saying I thought he did, but I am also not the one signing the checks lol)

(04-29-2016, 08:48 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The problem I have with this is by the time the younger guys (Shaw, Dennard, WJIII) rise to the top three spots, they will be close to ready to a re-up. We don't take full advantage of the rookie deals. Would be nice to have maybe two-three years of productive rookie deals to maximize that value.

And if the bengals FO didn't think so highly of Dre, why did they option him at 7.5 mil? They wouldn't just pay a corner 7.5 million dollars if they didn't think he played good (not saying I thought he did, but I am also not the one signing the checks lol)

Because Hall is gone, and Pacman wasn't resigned. There was some uncertainty in the secondary at the time.

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Bengalsrob - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 06:56 AM)tlotharw Wrote: This is what was said about the Jerome Simpson pick in 2008 and Philadelphia takes DeSean Jackson four picks later.  The Steelers ended up taking Limas Sweed.
Yeh, but with Simpson all the announcers had to get their program guides out to see who the hell we had picked. They knew exactly who this kid was, and they liked him. May well have been BPA on our board, and I think was a lock to have been picked next by the Steelers. If Redskins hadn't picked a WR, we would have been set, but they did, so I don't think we did badly at all, could have perhaps went Myles Jack, but his injury must be way worse than initially believed; nobody bit on him yet.

I took a trip over to the Steeler forums this morning and they are furious we took WJ3.

Made my morning a little better.

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - PacMan Fever - 04-29-2016

I too was ecstatic to see that both Doctson and Treadwell were available at pick #22, as they were the 2 wrs that I had preferred. Then I was absolutely shocked to see the Washington Redskins draft WR.......

Since that pick though, I have been looking at both Pierre Garcon + DeSean Jackson on RotoWorld, and it sounds as if both could be had fairly easily at this juncture. They're not cheap and they are both in the final year of their respective contracts. Personally I've always wanted to see DeSean in Bengal stripes.

Any board interest in either DJax or Garcon??

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Goalpost - 04-29-2016

CB was not high on my list. From a value standpoint, can't complain though. Some mocks had him in the 11-15 range. He does need to add some strength but covers nicely. When the wr run happened, at least we didn't reach or panic like the Steelers did.

Need to get another wr eventually, but it was not the Bengals fault how those picks went.

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - TGISunday - 04-29-2016

Happy from a talent perspective. He could have gone before Apple, easily.

And effectively shoving it in Pittsburgh's face? Love it. Welcome aboard WJ3!

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - GodFather - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 12:06 AM)zygrot24 Wrote: Another first round pick on a corner. Maybe we'll see him play in 2 or 3 years

Now let's not rush things here!

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Trademark - 04-29-2016

Don't we still have Janes Wright too ? I know he got hurt but he looked good when he was playing

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - ochocincos - 04-29-2016

PFF thinks the William Jackson III pick by the Bengals was the 4th best pick from Day 1. Browns taking Corey Coleman and Washington taking Josh Doctson also made the list.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/29/draft-5-best-picks-from-day-1-of-the-nfl-draft/

The Steelers were in the list of top 5 worst picks from Day 1 for reaching way too far for Artie Burns when he's still more of a project and is much more of a man coverage corner whereas the Steelers play mostly zone.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/29/draft-5-worst-picks-from-day-1-of-the-nfl-draft/

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - BritishBengal - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 09:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: PFF thinks the William Jackson III pick by the Bengals was the 4th best pick from Day 1. Browns taking Corey Coleman and Washington taking Josh Doctson also made the list.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/29/draft-5-best-picks-from-day-1-of-the-nfl-draft/

The Steelers were in the list of top 5 worst picks from Day 1 for reaching way too far for Artie Burns when he's still more of a project and is much more of a man coverage corner whereas the Steelers play mostly zone.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/29/draft-5-worst-picks-from-day-1-of-the-nfl-draft/

Can't help but love reading that, spesh from PFF.

Sorry but that corner Pittsburgh got is a scrub. Ive seen some of his games and he was abused.

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - XenoMorph - 04-29-2016

i love this pick... Heres why.. all the WRs got poached right in front of us any WR there would have been a big reach...

There are lots of DL still left on the Board but this was the last top flight Cornerback.

And i know we are "rich" in CBs but this gives us insurrance/options.

Adam jones is older if he starts to slide in production we have options.
Kirk is on the final year of his deal.. If he cant be retained we have a player already in the system.
Dennard Should be good but if say he gets hurt we have someone that can step in and play.

And in todays NFL CBs are a spot you can never have enough high end talent.

Now it will be hard to get Dennard Kirk and Jackson and Jones all on the field at once. But we can give Jones some breathers for Returns

Do any of these players project as a saftey at all?

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Mike M (the other one) - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 09:00 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I took a trip over to the Steeler forums this morning and they are furious we took WJ3.

Welcome WJ3! Glad you're a Bengal.

Your post make the pick even better.

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Sled21 - 04-29-2016

(04-29-2016, 09:00 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I took a trip over to the Steeler forums this morning and they are furious we took WJ3.

Joey Porter....this one's for you you asshat!!! BTW, PFF gave your draft choice a "D" since your team plays mostly zone and you're new guy struggles in zone coverage...... SUCK IT!!!!!!!

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Hammerstripes - 04-29-2016

I don't see how people could be that mad at this pick. I would have loved to see Treadwell on this team, but I would bet you money that Houston, Washington and Minnesota had zero interest in trading with us since they thought we were going WR. It probably would have cost a 3rd to go up to the Jets spot.

In all reality, we only have 2 corners on this team that have showed that they can play in the NFL. The jury is still out on Dennard. Once all the WRs started going off the board, I was praying that the Bengals wouldn't reach for a guy - and they didn't.

After listening to XM for the last month, WJ3 was a guy that they had going anywhere from 14-25. I think his skill set is perfect for this team - not to mention his speed.

This team values corners like the 3-4 teams value LBs. That's just the reality of it.

RE: Welcome William Jackson III - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 04-29-2016

Yes, welcome. Rock On

Love this pick and it is even sweeter that it made the Steelers reach for Burns. Will Jackson has huge upside.