Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase (/Thread-Report-Burrow-pushing-for-Bengals-to-draft-Chase)

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 01:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Several years ago, RoyalRedLegs/Berserker and I were questioning whether we should resign AJ Green for exactly this reason. The elite big name WRs rarely win it all. Top WRs cost nearly as much as QBs...but if you have a top QB, you really don't need a Megatron caliber WR.

Depends what level of QB you’re talking. The highest paid WR in the league in Hopkins at $27,250,00 (the 2nd highest is Julio at $22 mil). You’re not getting one of the top QB’s for that. Guys you’re getting for low to mid twenties (on non-rookie deals) would be; Jimmy Garoppolo, Matthew Stafford, Derrick Carr, Teddy Bridgewater... Ofc you have to exclude Brady because he always takes team friendly deals. The top paid QB’s though? Mahomes makes $45 mil a season. Dak $40 mil. Watson $39 mil, etc.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Earendil - 04-12-2021

At this point, I can't wait for the draft to be over so we can stop arguing about which guy we should take...

...and start arguing about why we should have taken the other guy.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Waite Hoyt - 04-12-2021

Draft Sewell and take Young WR from UNC in second roynd

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Nicomo Cosca - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 02:47 PM)Earendil Wrote: At this point, I can't wait for the draft to be over so we can stop arguing about which guy we should take...

At least we’ll have other players to focus on afterwards. Right now it kind of feels like we only have a single pick...

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Murdock2420 - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 02:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Hawk needs to learn how to say Housh's name right lol

Lol truth

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Shake n Blake - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 02:22 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Sewell isnt the only OT in this draft that can start week 1 
I sense this narrative that if the Bengals dont draft
SEWELL than the oline is bound to fail to keep Burrow 
Upright. 
This team can draft Sewell and JB could still take
A hit to the body and miss x amount of games
I watched Big Ben behind the best oline in the North
2-years ago miss 3/4s of a season.
QBs get hit over and over. Even behind the best olines

Yes but you're missing the overall point of the post. If we take Chase and he performs at an elite level, we'll eventually have to pay him elite WR money...at the same time we're having to pay Joe Burrow. I'm saying that's a TON of cap devoted entirely to the passing game. We'd be neglecting other areas of the team when you don't really need an elite WR when you have an elite QB.

With that in mind, the options become either (a) take Sewell or (b) trade back. I'd prefer either of those to taking Chase.

(04-12-2021, 02:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Depends what level of QB you’re talking. The highest paid WR in the league in Hopkins at $27,250,00 (the 2nd highest is Julio at $22 mil). You’re not getting one of the top QB’s for that. Guys you’re getting for low to mid twenties (on non-rookie deals) would be; Jimmy Garoppolo, Matthew Stafford, Derrick Carr, Teddy Bridgewater... Ofc you have to exclude Brady because he always takes team friendly deals. The top paid QB’s though? Mahomes makes $45 mil a season. Dak $40 mil. Watson $39 mil, etc.

Even paying a WR the same as a mid-tier QB is investing a TON of money in a QB/WR duo. Because we'll definitely be paying out the yang for Joe Burrow. Where's the examples of teams being successful with that model? Because there are plenty of examples of teams with elite QB's investing elsewhere and getting by with solid-but-not-eye-popping WRs.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Yogo - 04-12-2021

Don't you guys ever miss seeing a running game? Like maybe just a little?

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Shake n Blake - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 02:47 PM)Earendil Wrote: At this point, I can't wait for the draft to be over so we can stop arguing about which guy we should take...

Lol you know it's coming, unfortunately. Sewell vs Chase is the new Andy Dalton. Or Hill vs Gio. Or Mixon vs Gio.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - fredtoast - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 01:07 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Which teams?  I'm generally curious.

Would love to see where ranked in receiving yards and TD's from the Tight End position.  

Cin TEs had more receptions than Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, New England, and the Jets.

More yards than Buffalo, Carolina, New England, and the Jets.

More tds than Carolina, New England, Jacksonville, and Giants.

But the point to remember is that we did not have our #1 TE last year.  In 2018 only 16 teams had a TE with more tds than Uzomah and he ranked 15th in receptions and 17th in yards among all TEs.  Not great number but obviously better than the best TE on a lot  of other teams.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Bengalfan4life27c - 04-12-2021

Its becoming increasingly likely the best decision is not to draft Chase or Sewell. We need Kyle Pitts. Every good team has a elite TE. We currently don't.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - GreenCornBengal - 04-12-2021

Clowney meeting with Browns again... Sewell just rose a few points in my book lol.

(04-12-2021, 04:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol you know it's coming, unfortunately. Sewell vs Chase is the new Andy Dalton. Or Hill vs Gio. Or Mixon vs Gio.

Thankfully I think they’ll both be good players. I could see Chase having a bigger impact as a rookie, but both teams that get them will probably be happy in the long run.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Truck_1_0_1_ - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 04:19 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Its becoming increasingly likely the best decision is not to draft Chase or Sewell. We need Kyle Pitts. Every good team has a elite TE. We currently don't.

For the love of God...

(04-12-2021, 04:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: For the love of God...

Anyone that’s against drafting any of the three is out of their minds. Was the old board like this when we picked AJ?

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Wes Mantooth - 04-12-2021

I'm not sure if some of you already saw this or not (looks like it's 3 days old), but I'd thought I'd share it just to add fuel to the fire...

[img] <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script> [/img]

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Synric - 04-12-2021

This was interesting...

(04-12-2021, 05:07 PM)Synric Wrote: This was interesting...

That’s a mic drop right there.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - Truck_1_0_1_ - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 04:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone that’s against drafting any of the three is out of their minds. Was the old board like this when we picked AJ?

The mothership wanted 5 guys, basically:

- Cam (but we knew we wouldn't get him)
- AJ was #2 by far
- Julio was #3 by far
- Bfine and a few others wanted Gabbert (but mainly Bfine)
- Peterson was the defensive guy people wanted most (as Joseph left after 2010)

Thus, when we got AJ, many were super-happy; the previous year, a ton of people wanted Gresham as well, so people were super-happy lol.

That was probably the only draft, after last year of course, where there was a fair consensus of whom we wanted and when the team made that consensus pick, people were content.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - fredtoast - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 04:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Anyone that’s against drafting any of the three is out of their minds. Was the old board like this when we picked AJ?

I really wanted Patrick Peterson.  But I was a big SEC fan and knew AJ would be a star.

I was not happy, but I was not totally pissed either.  That is probably how I will feel this year also if we pass on Sewell.

RE: Report: Burrow pushing for Bengals to draft Chase - WVUHomer - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 12:52 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The battle rages on.

And still nothing is changing.

My last thoughts on this. If you want to succeed, you should model yourself after successful franchises. Which team has won the AFC North most in the last say 20 years?

Since 2000, the Steelers have won the division 10 times.
Since 2000, the Steelers have made the playoffs, 13 times.
Since 2000, the Steelers have drafted 1 WR in the first round. (2006, Santonio Holmes)

Think about how many years they've had WR's that our DBs just can't cover. And only 1, was from the 1st round.

Don't waste the pick. Be smart, model yourself off of successful franchises, or waste the pick and we can continue to finish 3rd or 4th in the division.

Quick Edit:

Just for fun and just to use a team people may hate less, I went and looked at Green Bay since we all like the Green Bay fan that stops by.

Since 2000, they also have used only 1 1st round pick on a WR, and that was 2002 (Javon Walker).

For us, if we take Chase, it will be 3 in 10 years. Green in 2011, Ross in 2017, Chase in 2021. 3 times as many in half the years. Not a plan for success.

Honestly not sure GB is a perfect example for this argument either as the analysts constantly point out that Rodgers is wasting the last years of his career with subpar support, instead electing to go with his replacement (not sure Love will be that but I digress).

You would think that shows you need some weapons to keep you in position to win SBs instead of just making it to conference championships. Then again, its hard to argue against one of the most successful organizations of all time. 

And as Carolina pointed out, most of their OL isn't 1st round talents, rather mid round talents that they coached up.