Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
The Official GOP Debate Thread - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: The Official GOP Debate Thread (/Thread-The-Official-GOP-Debate-Thread)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - RoyleRedlegs - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 02:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So if I'm a Republican, and all I care about is someone with a R after their name becoming President, who am I voting for?

After last night, gut reaction is Rubio

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - Bengalzona - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 02:08 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So if I'm a Republican, and all I care about is someone with a R after their name becoming President, who am I voting for?

Whoever you want. In the end, it won't matter. Just like the Dems, you will end up with the single candidate whose backer's have the deepest pockets and whose message most appeals to big business while being just tolerable enough to be acceptable by normal people.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - michaelsean - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 02:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Whoever you want. In the end, it won't matter. Just like the Dems, you will end up with the single candidate whose backer's have the deepest pockets and whose message most appeals to big business while being just tolerable enough to be acceptable by normal people.

I'm really not asking for myself.  There are several people I won't vote for if they are the nominee.  I'm just curious.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - BonnieBengal - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 02:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because Carson is a poor candidate.  Brilliant surgeon.  Bad candidate.

All anyone says is how smart he has to be to do what he did for a living.

Einstein would have made a bad President.

He's riding a wave of TPer support because he spoke against the ACA while the President was in the room.  So basically he has an opinion and he's not afraid to speak it.  Oh and he thinks tithing is the best tax plan.  That's it.

He said it was similar to tithing.  Everybody pays a percentage of what they earn.  No loopholes.  He used 10% as an example.

And I don't remember who mentioned this, but under the circumstances,  it doesn't matter to me if my write in vote doesn't count.  I won't vote for Bush, and if he's the option, and Trump is the independent, then I'm writing Carson in anyway.  I'm not playing the Republican establishment's game anymore.  

(08-07-2015, 02:37 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: He said it was similar to tithing.  Everybody pays a percentage of what they earn.  No loopholes.  He used 10% as an example.

And I don't remember who mentioned this, but under the circumstances,  it doesn't matter to me if my write in vote doesn't count.  I won't vote for Bush, and if he's the option, and Trump is the independent, then I'm writing Carson in anyway.  I'm not playing the Republican establishment's game anymore.  

I just didn't know if you were aware of that.  

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - BonnieBengal - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 02:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I just didn't know if you were aware of that.  

Oh okay. I've held my nose and voted for RINOs twice now with no results.  I also voted to help get Republicans control of the Senate and congress, and they have done nothing but continue the Dem agenda.  I don't trust the Repub leadership anymore.  

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - Benton - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 02:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Whoever you want. In the end, it won't matter. Just like the Dems, you will end up with the single candidate whose backer's have the deepest pockets and whose message most appeals to big business while being just tolerable enough to be acceptable by normal people.

Pretty much.

A few candidates try to come out early or have a strong local effort, but in the end it's just whoever has the biggest backer. They spend more for top-of-mind name value, they (thanks to SCOTUS) spend more on smear campaigns against opponents, and they spend more on propaganda efforts like paid actors at rallies.  

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - Goalpost - 08-07-2015

Trump has a massive ego. He might be too uncontrollable to support. He should have just shut up at the Rosie joke...didn't need to go further. Either Rubio or Carly on the ticket will dent some of Hillary's support.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - StLucieBengal - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 05:01 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Kasich and Rubio stock just went up.

What did Kasich do to stand out?

Rubio had a nice night and will get a bump.

(08-07-2015, 02:43 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Oh okay. I've held my nose and voted for RINOs twice now with no results.  I also voted to help get Republicans control of the Senate and congress, and they have done nothing but continue the Dem agenda.  I don't trust the Repub leadership anymore.  

Yeah it does no good to vote for a progressive.

RE: The Official GOP Debate Thread - BmorePat87 - 08-07-2015

(08-07-2015, 03:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What did Kasich do to stand out?  

Rubio had a nice night and will get a bump.

Besides sounding like his own man while most of the 10 repeated party lines? Kasich was confident, he was specific, he pointed to credible experience, and he owned the "gotcha" Medicare question. 

He had little stock before hand and low name recognition. Being one of the best three on the stage immensely helped his cause. If you don't think he was one of the winners, you either didn't watch it or you went into the debate with a winner predetermined. 

(08-07-2015, 02:43 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Oh okay. I've held my nose and voted for RINOs twice now with no results.  I also voted to help get Republicans control of the Senate and congress, and they have done nothing but continue the Dem agenda.  I don't trust the Repub leadership anymore.  

If a majority of Republicans support "RINO"s, are they not Republicans?

I find it funny when people refer to mainstream Republicans as "Republicans in Name Only" when a majority of Republicans support their views. I think that means you're a "RINO" for not supporting them.

(08-07-2015, 03:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If a majority of Republicans support "RINO"s, are they not Republicans?

I find it funny when people refer to mainstream Republicans as "Republicans in Name Only" when a majority of Republicans support their views. I think that means you're a "RINO" for not supporting them.

Not necessarily.  There is a Republican platform.  A large deviation from that platform would make you a RINO.  

(08-07-2015, 03:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Besides sounding like his own man while most of the 10 repeated party lines? Kasich was confident, he was specific, he pointed to credible experience, and he owned the "gotcha" Medicare question. 

He had little stock before hand and low name recognition. Being one of the best three on the stage immensely helped his cause. If you don't think he was one of the winners, you either didn't watch it or you went into the debate with a winner predetermined. 

He was just underwhelming. Now I will admit that I do not care for his high spending history. He is your basic GOP progressive. That doenst stand for anythng.

But yeah he will see a bump because no one knew him.

(08-07-2015, 03:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not necessarily.  There is a Republican platform.  A large deviation from that platform would make you a RINO.  

A platform written and approved by the same people who nominate the candidate. 

(08-07-2015, 03:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A platform written and approved by the same people who nominate the candidate. 

That's irrelevant.  The platform is there, and if you have a large deviation from it, then you are a RINO no matter how many people support you.  

(08-07-2015, 03:32 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A platform written and approved by the same people who nominate the candidate. 

Big difference when it's written by establishment people vs conservatives

(08-07-2015, 03:30 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He was just underwhelming.     Now I will admit that I do not care for his high spending history.   He is your basic GOP progressive.   That doenst stand for anythng.    

But yeah he will see a bump because no one knew him.

A great majority of commentators seem to disagree that he was underwhelming. 

(08-07-2015, 03:36 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's irrelevant.  The platform is there, and if you have a large deviation from it, then you are a RINO no matter how many people support you.  

It's not. By all metrics that matter, they are representative of the average Republican. Also, when they are not deviating from it by a significant degree (which they never do or else they wouldn't be nominated), how do you justify calling them "RINOs"? 

The term "RINO" is used by people like this:

(08-07-2015, 03:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Big difference when it's written by establishment people vs conservatives

People who think their views should be mainstream but aren't. 

(08-07-2015, 03:45 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's not. By all metrics that matter, they are representative of the average Republican. Also, when they are not deviating from it by a significant degree (which they never do or else they wouldn't be nominated), how do you justify calling them "RINOs"? 

The term "RINO" is used by people like this:

People who think their views should be mainstream but aren't. 

You have to take it on a person by person basis, and absolutely someone who deviates from the platform can be nominated if they are seen as being able to win.  All you have to do is look at the platform and see how close they are to it.  If they are generally in line with it, then calling someone a RINO is incorrect, and if they have a large deviation, then calling them a RINO is correct.