Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
John Ross on leave - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: John Ross on leave (/Thread-John-Ross-on-leave)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: John Ross on leave - GreenCornBengal - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 12:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm with bfine on this one.

How exactly does exposing yourself to a contagious disease show that you care? I'm dying to hear the logic in that one.

All it tells me is that he's being irrationally emotional. He could say hello through a closed window and camp a tent on the front lawn for a few days or even a couple of weeks. But to expose himself?

It's just so unnecessary to expose oneself to the disease. Unless it really isn't deadly at all and then exposure wouldn't be that big of a deal, inwhich case there would be no need to visit in the first place. Which is it?

Perhaps he is fearful his child will die and that by not being there he won’t be able to have those last few moments with the child???

RE: John Ross on leave - bfine32 - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 01:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Whelp, I guess that’s where you and I differ. I think anyone who uses this as another way to diss Ross is indeed pathetic.

Your post insinuates that Ross should just throw money at the problem and disregards that there is any sort of connection between Ross and his child. To me, this says that you think football IS more important and that he should have done that.

Perhaps reading comprehension is where we differ. 

At no time did I "dis" Ross. Many folks (obviously shown here with passion) feel JR  was a "better man" to leave his team and rush home. I simply stated it could be shown as a lack of dedication to the team. I'll leave it up to others to determine right and wrong. And I try to refrain from calling people pathetic. 

(08-15-2020, 01:12 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Perhaps he is fearful his child will die and that by not being there he won’t be able to have those last few moments with the child???

Or perhaps the son infects the father and the father is unable to recover and the child has to spend the rest of his live without a father. See we can both appeal to emotion.

There's so much we do not know, the child. like the vast majority, may not experience any systems and will quickly recover while hopefully developing immunity. But blindly insulting folks and saying they are "wrong" in their opinions is something that does not belong in this forum. 

(08-15-2020, 02:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Or perhaps the son infects the father and the father is unable to recover and the child has to spend the rest of his live without a father. See we can both appeal to emotion.

There's so much we do not know, the child. like the vast majority, may not experience any systems and will quickly recover while hopefully developing immunity. But blindly insulting folks and saying they are "wrong" in their opinions is something that does not belong in this forum. 

Oh geez here come the forum police. You just insulted my reading comprehension and have lectured me on my “wrong” opinion. I stand by my opinion that if anyone uses this as a slight on Ross I think they are lame. Sorry I used the word pathetic, didn’t realize that would sting so deep.

(08-15-2020, 02:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Oh geez here come the forum police. You just insulted my reading comprehension and have lectured me on my “wrong” opinion. I stand by my opinion that if anyone uses this as a slight on Ross I think they are lame. Sorry I used the word pathetic, didn’t realize that would sting so deep.

Nah, I just said our reading comprehension perhaps differs. 

(08-15-2020, 02:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nah, I just said our reading comprehension perhaps differs. 

Lol you really do know how to twist words in an argument. You know what ya meant, why try to avoid it?

RE: John Ross on leave - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 11:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Absolutely no reason for a personal attack.

I clearly said it's not my place to say if it was right or wrong. I simply gave my view on how it can be perceived; it's why I started with "I think the OP is an example".

Given my opinion has been formed by a person who has been on numerous deployments and watching numerous "functioning humans with all scraps of decency" not miss a beat through family births, illnesses, and deaths and they did this for their families.

Folks both on and off the field like to use the analogy of football is war. Maybe they're wrong. 

Yet, even in the Army they at least play lip service to family always comes first and don’t question your commitment to the Army if you receive a Red Cross message.

RE: John Ross on leave - ochocincos - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 12:56 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: But there was a two year period that you could say Chad was the best in the NFL.  Not Roddy White.  It isn't always compiling, but how you compared with your peers in a given time frame.  Look at my guy Kurt Warner.  

Kurt Warner also won a Super Bowl and played in 3 total.

Chad started in 2 playoff games, losing both. He did not start in the playoff games with the Patriots and was a non-factor in those games (1 catch, 21 yards combined).

While I get your argument that he was among the league's best in a 3-5 year stretch, there are plenty of arguments to be made as to why he won't get voted in. People didn't like his attitude/personality, didn't do well in playoffs, plenty of other receivers ahead of him statistically who haven't gotten in yet.

RE: John Ross on leave - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Kurt Warner also won a Super Bowl and played in 3 total.

Chad started in 2 playoff games, losing both. He did not start in the playoff games with the Patriots and was a non-factor in those games (1 catch, 21 yards combined).

While I get your argument that he was among the league's best in a 3-5 year stretch, there are plenty of arguments to be made as to why he won't get voted in. People didn't like his attitude/personality, didn't do well in playoffs, plenty of other receivers ahead of him statistically who haven't gotten in yet.

Yeah, Chad was damn good when it didn't count as much. Housh was the clutch WR in that time frame.

RE: John Ross on leave - ochocincos - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 04:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Chad was damn good when it didn't count as much. Housh was the clutch WR in that time frame.

He's my favorite Bengal (obviously). He was extremely entertaining. And he was very, very good.
But the HOF vote is subjective, and it's clear that in order for a Bengal to get in, they need to be the elite of the elite and/or be on a Bengals team that goes deep in the playoffs (more than once?)

RE: John Ross on leave - BengalChris - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 01:12 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Perhaps he is fearful his child will die and that by not being there he won’t be able to have those last few moments with the child???

His kid isn't dying. You are just making excuses for him now.

RE: John Ross on leave - Whatever - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 04:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: His kid isn't dying. You are just making excuses for him now.

And you're privy to all his kid's preexisting medical conditions, right?

Seriously, the guy is going to care for his kid who has a potentially life threatening disease and there's still haters who are using it as an excuse to knock him.  I feel like Ross could jump in front of a bullet for some of the turds on this board and they would say he just did it because he didn't want to play football.

RE: John Ross on leave - Wes Mantooth - 08-15-2020

Here are some things to maybe consider regarding John Ross. I think some on here have been way too quick to rush to judgement or speculate about his situation. The fact is there is much more to consider than many may be lead to believe. And there is a lot that none of us have any clue about.

1.) Maybe he's not planning on staying, nor having direct contact. Maybe he's just going back to get his house in order, so to speak, and he plans on returning shortly.

2.) Maybe his wife and/or son are already showing somewhat severe symptoms. It may be hard for a sick mother to care for a a child.

3.) Maybe his wife and son have had contact with Ross' parents and 5 siblings recently. And maybe there's already other cases in the family. Or maybe they're fearful of, or are anticipating that there could be additional cases in the family.

4.) Maybe his wife or son are immunocomprimised.

5.) Maybe his immediate family is immunocomprimised.

I've said some of this earlier, but there is much that surrounds a family regarding a positive test, outside of it physical effects. There's securing food and neccessities while in quarantine. There's doctor's appointments. There's scheduling issues. There could be schooling issues for their son, who had planned on starting in a few weeks.

Leaving all of that on the plate of one woman, who very well may be feeling pretty damn awful right now, is a lot to handle. Maybe she's scared? Maybe she's overwhelmed? Maybe she needs help?

The fact is, everything I just mentioned are things we know nothing about. So I find it incredibly unfair to start to question whether or not he wants to play, or his dedication to his team. For all we know, he could be back next week. And if he isn't, and he's dealing with any of the above, shame on you for judging him.

Lastly, I just wanted to share that if you think he doesn't want to play this season, I think you're nuts. The man is in a contract year. He came into the league after the rookie wage scale was put into place, and he made a lot less than the former first round picks that came before him. I'm not saying he's not rich, but he certainly hasn't scratched the surface of what this league can offer financially.

A solid season probably nets him another 20 mil contact. A good season probably nets him a 40 mil contract. A great season may net him 60+ mil. He's got a ton on the line. If he misses time and comes back late he's most likely future sacrficing dollars.

So let's just assume he's making this decision with the best of intentions. And let's let it play out before we bring the man's desire to play ball into question.

(08-15-2020, 04:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: His kid isn't dying. You are just making excuses for him now.

I don't think excuses are really needed though, are they? 

I think all that is really needed to explain or understand it is a little bit of empathy and the realization that we don't know this man or his family personally, nor what they're currently faced with.

RE: John Ross on leave - Tony - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 10:16 AM)BengalChris Wrote: IMO, he's done with the Bengals. People just haven't realized that yet.

For all intents and purposes, he's decided to go be with infected people and he's likely already infected. He'll get out of shape, as sick people do. He'll recover from the virus, at some point. He might return then, and he'll practice for a week or so, then he'll have some tightness in his hammy, which will sideline him for a few more weeks. Then the season will be over, unless the team makes the playoffs. To expect something different out of him would be rather silly.

Just scratch that #11 off the roster. I'm certain that's what Taylor has already done.

I 100% agree.. Its obvious his love of the game and drive needed to be great isn't there... He's made of glass... IDC how good you are, He has proven time and time again he cant hold up physically to the NFL game..

RE: John Ross on leave - Nicomo Cosca - 08-15-2020

(08-15-2020, 06:46 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Here are some things to maybe consider regarding John Ross. I think some on here have been way too quick to rush to judgement or speculate about his situation. The fact is there is much more to consider than many may be lead to believe. And there is a lot that none of us have any clue about.

1.) Maybe he's not planning on staying, nor having direct contact. Maybe he's just going back to get his house in order, so to speak, and he plans on returning shortly.

2.) Maybe his wife and/or son are already showing somewhat severe symptoms. It may be hard for a sick mother to care for a a child.

3.) Maybe his wife and son have had contact with Ross' parents and 5 siblings recently. And maybe there's already other cases in the family. Or maybe they're fearful of, or are anticipating that there could be additional cases in the family.

4.) Maybe his wife or son are immunocomprimised.

5.) Maybe his immediate family is immunocomprimised.

I've said some of this earlier, but there is much that surrounds a family regarding a positive test, outside of it physical effects. There's securing food and neccessities while in quarantine. There's doctor's appointments. There's scheduling issues. There could be schooling issues for their son, who had planned on starting in a few weeks.

Leaving all of that on the plate of one woman, who very well may be feeling pretty damn awful right now, is a lot to handle. Maybe she's scared? Maybe she's overwhelmed? Maybe she needs help?

The fact is, everything I just mentioned are things we know nothing about. So I find it incredibly unfair to start to question whether or not he wants to play, or his dedication to his team. For all we know, he could be back next week. And if he isn't, and he's dealing with any of the above, shame on you for judging him.

Lastly, I just wanted to share that if you think he doesn't want to play this season, I think you're nuts. The man is in a contract year. He came into the league after the rookie wage scale was put into place, and he made a lot less than the former first round picks that came before him. I'm not saying he's not rich, but he certainly hasn't scratched the surface of what this league can offer financially.

A solid season probably nets him another 20 mil contact. A good season probably nets him a 40 mil contract. A great season may net him 60+ mil. He's got a ton on the line. If he misses time and comes back late he's most likely future sacrficing dollars.

So let's just assume he's making this decision with the best of intentions. And let's let it play out before we bring the man's desire to play ball into question.

Great post, Wes.

(08-15-2020, 06:52 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I don't think excuses are really needed though, are they? 

I think all that is really needed to explain or understand it is a little bit of empathy and the realization that we don't know this man or his family personally, nor what they're currently faced with.
We do not and none of the flowery "maybe" manifestos by you and others changes the fact when someone asked for an example of his possible lack of dedication to the team, this is an example. It's really that simple.

We can each decide if it's right or wrong, but a decision has been made.  Hell, I might have done the same, but I doubt it. 

Folks like Von Miller who went through a hard time with the virus earlier because he has asthma , still show up unsure if this is something that can come back. That's an example of dedication to the team. What JR is doing is not. Of course we all wish him and his the best of health. But why are folks trying to have their cake and eat it too? 

(08-15-2020, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We do not and none of the flowery "maybe" manifestos by you and others changes the fact when someone asked for an example of his possible lack of dedication to the team, this is an example. It's really that simple.

We can each decide if it's right or wrong, but a decision has been made.  Hell, I might have done the same, but I doubt it. 

Folks like Von Miller who went through a hard time with the virus earlier because he has asthma , still show up unsure if this is something that can come back. That's an example of dedication to the team. What JR is doing is not. Of course we all wish him and his the best of health. But why are folks trying to have their cake and eat it too?

There's nothing "flowery" about it.  This is reality.

The fact of the matter is very simple. You do not know John Ross.  You do not know his family.  You do not know the circumstances that influenced his decision.  You know nothing about either him, or Von Miller, other than what a few articles will allow you to.

You're a dolt on a message board, who gets his rocks off playing the contrarian.  You're choosing to speculate about real world people, with real world problems, without an ounce of actual facts.

Short of assumptions, and descriptions probably made in effort to either win "fake internet points", or to simply pass the time, you know absolutely squat.

Go find another Andy Dalton thread to troll, or go kick rocks. Cuz this aint it. Either way, we'll all be better off.

(08-15-2020, 11:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: There's nothing "flowery" about it.  This is reality.

The fact of the matter is very simple. You do not know John Ross.  You do not know his family.  You do not know the circumstances that influenced his decision.  You know nothing about either him, or Von Miller, other than what a few articles will allow you to.

You're a dolt on a message board, who gets his rocks off playing the contrarian.  You're choosing to speculate about real world people, with real world problems, without an ounce of actual facts.

Short of assumptions, and descriptions probably made in effort to either win "fake internet points", or to simply pass the time, you know absolutely squat.

Go find another Andy Dalton thread to troll, or go kick rocks. Cuz this aint it.  Either way, we'll all be better off.

The absolute crazy thing is your manifesto used the word maybe more times than a sophomore at prom, but somehow; I'm the one choosing to speculate. 

Take you personal insults elsewhere. 

RE: John Ross on leave - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 08-16-2020

(08-15-2020, 11:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The absolute crazy thing is your manifesto used the word maybe more times than a sophomore at prom, but somehow; I'm the one choosing to speculate. 

Take you personal insults elsewhere. 

Maybe it’s just your reading comprehension?