Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Do we play the starters next week? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Do we play the starters next week? (/Thread-Do-we-play-the-starters-next-week)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - HarleyDog - 01-03-2022

(01-03-2022, 08:20 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Yeah Burrow is hot right now. I saw he's the 1st QB in NFL history to go back to back games with 400yds 4TDs and no picks. That seems like one of those random stats but pretty crazy when you think about all the great QBs even in recent years if they've never accomplished this feat.

To add insult to injury, Burrow surpassed Mahomes yesterday for passing yards this year and is now 5th.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Wyche'sWarrior - 01-03-2022

I would sit Burrow for two reasons. First, Joe's health, obviously. Second....and heaven forbid this happens....should we need Brandon Allen at some point (for a series or two, or some Covid stuff), I'd like to see him get some reps with the ones. I'd probably rest Mixon too.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Murdock2420 - 01-03-2022

(01-03-2022, 08:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: I would sit Burrow for two reasons. First, Joe's health, obviously. Second....and heaven forbid this happens....should we need Brandon Allen at some point (for a series or two, or some Covid stuff), I'd like to see him get some reps with the ones. I'd probably rest Mixon too.

I'm with you Wyche.

I'd run Allen out there with the first team offense to get some reps as a "just in case" while keeping Burrow safe. Wouldn't be completely against letting Mixon rest up either since he has had some dings over the season this far.

Sadly, it is a no win situation. They play everyone and something happens, the board and national media is all up in arms about "why was so and so out there." They rest guys and lose, it becomes "You have to keep momentum going." Taking a chance no matter which way they play it.

(01-03-2022, 03:11 AM)Synric Wrote: I'm gonna go with yea rest the starters for 2 reasons.

1. Titans and Chiefs have meh matchups for the #1 seed and both would have to lose.

2. Bengals are beat up on the offensive line.
        Without knowing Quinton Spain's diagnosis I hope they rest him and open up a one game
        competition for the RG and RT spots while resting Jonah Williams and Trey Hopkin's knee. Start    Fred Johnson, Jackson Carman, Trey Hill, Hakeem Adeniji, and Isaiah Prince possibly working in D'Ante Smith.

In this scenario, I DEFINITELY sit Burrow.

(01-03-2022, 08:43 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm with you Wyche.

I'd run Allen out there with the first team offense to get some reps as a "just in case" while keeping Burrow safe. Wouldn't be completely against letting Mixon rest up either since he has had some dings over the season this far.

Sadly, it is a no win situation. They play everyone and something happens, the board and national media is all up in arms about "why was so and so out there." They rest guys and lose, it becomes "You have to keep momentum going." Taking a chance no matter which way they play it.

Yup....only way I'm playing them Murdock is if KC loses on Saturday. That makes things more interesting and maybe making it worth the risk.

(01-03-2022, 08:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup....only way I'm playing them Murdock is if KC loses on Saturday. That makes things more interesting and maybe making it worth the risk.

I agree. KC loses? Burrow gets the chance to throw for another 400yds.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 01-03-2022

(01-03-2022, 05:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: How are you trying to win it all when you're going to sit your starters and drop a seed, thereby guaranteeing yourself tougher matchups and more road games?

You think KC will sit it's starters against Denver despite the fact that they are down their top 3 OT's?  Not likely.  They will play to defend the #2 seed and hope they can get the #1.

The Bengals have to win a playoff game this year.  One and done again and the feel good narrative shifts to same 'ol Bengals.  You're going to make it that much harder to win a playoff game,let alone make a run at a SB, because of a small percentage chance of injury?  

Dropping from 3 to 4 does not guarantee us more road games. One scenario in which it would is 3 v 4 matchup in the AFC Championship game. 

The other would be if the #2 seed loses in the WC round. #3 would the host the SF while #4 travels to #1 no matter what. 

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - jason - 01-03-2022

In the locker room post game, Zac said something to the effect of "we're not done", and something about beating Cleveland. That's not happening with Brandon Allen and all the other starters. We can't bubble wrap our guys, or just bench them in case something happens. We're hot right now. I'd like to keep it that way.

(01-03-2022, 09:23 PM)jason Wrote: In the locker room post game, Zac said something to the effect of "we're not done", and something about beating Cleveland. That's not happening with Brandon Allen and all the other starters. We can't bubble wrap our guys, or just bench them in case something happens. We're hot right now. I'd like to keep it that way.

Sounds like we are going for it.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - NUGDUKWE - 01-03-2022

A new thought that I had. My first thought when thinking of sitting guys was on offense and keeping this rhythm going. But now I'm thinking the defensive side might be the side I want to rest the most. Specifically the Dline. We're gonna need Hendrickson and Hubbard ready to go along with a fresh Reader, Hill and Ogunjobi. Also in the secondary you can give guys a rest while also allowing other players a chance to get a little more playing time. Just have to see how the week shakes out but I think our most likely matchups will be between the Bills, Colts or Patriots and we're gonna need our Dline coming to play.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Bengalfan4life27c - 01-03-2022

I hope colts take care of business against Jags no way I want the Chargers until AFC championship game. Going to be rooting for Raiders hard if that matchup decides who we play.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Whacked - 01-03-2022

The Browns D is sack happy and the whole teams wants to beat the champs.

I’d let Allen be the sacrificial lamb.

Burrow has been getting tossed around like a rag doll all year.

Give the kid a dang break before the playoffs.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - QueenCity - 01-03-2022

The way Baker is playing our backups could do the job. If only the guy didn't play like Superman vs. us

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Whatever - 01-03-2022

(01-03-2022, 09:12 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Dropping from 3 to 4 does not guarantee us more road games. One scenario in which it would is 3 v 4 matchup in the AFC Championship game. 

The other would be if the #2 seed loses in the WC round. #3 would the host the SF while #4 travels to #1 no matter what. 

I meant to say you're guaranteed tougher matchups and have good odds at more road games.  

I would say look at the mathematical odds for Round 2 if you make it out of Round 1.

#2 seed=100% chance for home game/0% chance of playing #1 seed in 2nd round

#3 seed=50% chance for home game/0% chance of playing #1 in 2nd round

#4 seed=25% chance for home game/25% chance of playing #1

One thing that makes staying at home as much as possible even more important this year is more travel=more potential exposure to COVID.  

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Von Cichlid - 01-03-2022

This is not related to the Bengals but extremely interesting:

If the Colts lose to the Jags, then San Diego and Las Vegas can agree to tie and they both gain entry to the post season! As their game is Sunday night they will know the outcome of the Colts and Jags by that time and this will be a distinct possibility.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - bfine32 - 01-03-2022

(01-03-2022, 11:34 PM)QueenCity Wrote: The way Baker is playing our backups could do the job.  If only the guy didn't play like Superman vs. us

Was just going to bump this to say our backups should secure a victory. 

Mayfield's ratings against us since he's joined the league:

2018:

2019:

2020:

2021:

2019 was an outlier, but other than that dude has balled out against us.  It's discussed that the Browns may be looking to move on from Cleveland, but if they keep him; he owes us a paycheck. 

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - SouthernFan - 01-04-2022

So, if we move up to the 2nd seed, there is an outside chance the squealers could sneak into the seventh seed and play us in the wild card round!

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Savagehenry54 - 01-04-2022

(01-03-2022, 05:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: How are you trying to win it all when you're going to sit your starters and drop a seed, thereby guaranteeing yourself tougher matchups and more road games?

You think KC will sit it's starters against Denver despite the fact that they are down their top 3 OT's?  Not likely.  They will play to defend the #2 seed and hope they can get the #1.

The Bengals have to win a playoff game this year.  One and done again and the feel good narrative shifts to same 'ol Bengals.  You're going to make it that much harder to win a playoff game,let alone make a run at a SB, because of a small percentage chance of injury?  
Its a bad match up and when a dude like Garrett has nothing to lose and our line is suspect???

Now Reid and the chiefs have got their ring...recently...I think that makes it more likely for them to just go for it.

I want the playoff win too.  Without burrow it ain't happening and the young team needs to experience this as a whole team and learn from it. Not worth the risk.

RE: Do we play the starters next week? - Trademark - 01-04-2022

Baker might not even play Sunday. Maybe play the starters the first half and rest them the second half.

Bengals/ Browns Like Preseason, No Major Injuries Is Key Thing. - kevin - 01-04-2022

I don't care how much Mike Brown and Family or Fans want to beat Cleveland. The Bengals have already WON the AFC North. This becomes like a preseason game before the more important Play-Off Game. I don't mind if Burrow plays just a little or not at all. Same with other Key Stars. Burrow especially because of his legs and finger, but also Mixon and his injuries he plays through.

Others may see it different. I say Sundays game is now a preseason game situation, and The Main Thing is to come out Healthy for whoever Bengals play the next week in Paul Brown Stadium in Play-Offs. How sad it would be to come out of Browns game with Burrow and Mixon too injured to play in that Play-Off Game.

Normally I would love a win over the Browns, but coming out of this game Healthy For Play-Offs would be Victory Enough. With The Bengals already winning AFC North, this is indeed like a preseason game. I don't care if Burrow plays a little or not at all. Just have Burrow Healthy for Play-Offs for he is to Bengals what Joe Namath was to Jets. Save those injured legs and finger for Play-Offs.